Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Every now and again, I have to make a post like this one...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Every now and again, I have to make a post like this one...

Some people really hate posts of this type, but I think its necessary.

You see, there is a certain type of "fan." The type that is more interested in "being right" than they are in seeing the team succeed.

If you hang around here, or any message board, you'll observe this type of "fan." They're the ones who never seem to be happy or optimistic. They criticize every move. They express low expectations at all times. They chide anyone who dares to express hope.

If called out individually, these "fans" will do one of two things (or both). They will (1) claim to be the true "realists," and/or (2) whine that they are being censored.

Its not censorship. Its merely the reaction that you should expect to receive when you are a total bore. That's what "fans" like this are: bores.

In my book, the only reason to even bother spending time being a fan is to extend hope that this year will be "the year." That's what made 1999 so special to me. I had spent over 20 years believing each season that this was "the year." Sure, there were times that, deep down, I knew I was kidding myself. But then, one year, it all paid off.

As fans, we don't draft or sign the players, devise the gameplans, call the plays, or battle it out on the field. All we can do is try, in our own little way, to be part of that "12th man" that, hopefully, inspires the team to play just that much harder. That's all we can do.

How you do that when you never see anything but doom and gloom is beyond me. If I ever feel that way, I'll find a new hobby.

So, have at it with the "are you talking about me" and "how dare you interfere with my Free Speech" responses.

I've said my peace.

Re: Every now and again, I have to make a post like this one...

I love it Avenger. I know we have different philosophies on things and that we don't always see eye to eye, but I 100% respect you as a poster, and as a fan ...

Kudos to being honest ALWAYS ...

Speaking of being honest, here is some "fan" behavior that always turns me off:

1. Fans that can turn it "on" and "off"
    2. Fans that leave at halftime, or text message on their phones all game
    3. Fans that call players busts before they have 3 years experience
    4. Fans that want to sign ANY free agent that becomes available no matter how they fit (i.e.. T.O.)
    5. Fans that berate the franchise for getting rid of non-value added players like Torry Holt during rebuilding periods
    6. Fans that boo THE ENTIRE TEAM ...
    7. Fans that sell their tickets for 300% profit when there are less fortunate people that would love to go
    8. Fans that appear out of nowhere in the offseason only to be gone at the first sight of a struggle
    9. Fans that are bandwagoners
    10. Fans that hope the team loses to better draft position
    11. Fans that wish injury upon any player other than Tom Brady :-)

There are many more, but thats just a few!
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -03-06-2009, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Amen Reverend Avenger!

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

uh, nevermind
        Last edited by unorthodox1999; -03-06-2009, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by McKnight
          And the winner of the "I'm a Better Ram Fan than You" Award goes to........ AV ;)
          Tut tut tut.

Comment

AvengerRam- I understand where you are coming from and I hope that you can understand where I'm coming from when you read what I have to say about a lot of your post and what my opinion of being a rams fan is...You dont have to agree with me and I know that I'm going to get a lot of negitive feedback on this post reply but I really don't care because I know there are a lot of people that will agree with me that dont have to the marbles to say it themselves..here it goes

Av- I am so impressed with your "Economic" knowledge of the NFL business and to what you think or what you seem to think is right for the rams franchise,,matter of fact you should probley be in the Rams front office you know so much or seem too..I cant say you dont know what it takes to be a Rams fan because you obvisley put in alot of effort in your thinking and everyone can see you are a well educated man but that dosent mean you have the right to judge peoples loyality to the Rams because you are more educated then US..what if I put up a dumb post, or what if someone says something that isnt "Economicley" correct to your standerds or other peoples standerds on this site, what happed to just being a fan and not getting caught up in the front office type stuff that you are so interested in..what happen to just being a fan and loving something so much that you can only dream of something so wonderful like the rams winning the super bowl every year, or what if the rams could pick up Ray Lewis and Bart Scott and draft Curry and trade up to pick up Smith or Monroe ect ect...Dreamers man, thats what makes a fan not somene that can post everything that is within the numbers, or who set the market for what position..I respect you for what you post and i dont question your loyality to the rams but i pray to god that on sunday mornings you dont sit there with your ram fan buddies and talk about theis Economic bull when thousand of other ram fans are enjoying there 10AM beer while rooting there ass off for that one W...

sorry about the spelling and grammer, as you can see im not as educated as most

RAMS FAN 4 LIFE
            Last edited by rams_fan_4_life; -03-06-2009, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I don't know if there's really a correct way to be a fan. The commonly accepted way is to cheer your ass off and hope for the best.
              But maybe there are those people that need to see the negative in their team to downplay the negative in their daily routine. Kind of similar to taking a bad day at work out on the dog. You don't love the dog any less, but it's just a sort of knee jerk reaction.
              I've been down on the Rams before. I'm sure all of us have, but I think as long as your there Sunday no one can blame you.

Comment

Originally posted by Warner4prez View Post
                I don't know if there's really a correct way to be a fan. The commonly accepted way is to cheer your ass off and hope for the best.
                But maybe there are those people that need to see the negative in their team to downplay the negative in their daily routine. Kind of similar to taking a bad day at work out on the dog. You don't love the dog any less, but it's just a sort of knee jerk reaction.
                I've been down on the Rams before. I'm sure all of us have, but I think as long as your there Sunday no one can blame you.
                I think almost everyone could be a little guilty of this. It's been hard to stay 100% positive the last 2 years. I too have the highest hopes every year but to say I have been the last couple years would be a lie. This year is the most excited I've been since the start of the 00' season. Go Rams!!!!:ram:

Comment

[quote=McKnight;279586]Every year I trick myself into thinking that this is 2000 and we are just coming off a SB win. that's how I get pumped for the season. it kinda works. [/quote
                  I hear that, I put on my Marshall Throwback and grab a beer turn the tube on........... then quickly realize.......................... I'm in for a long season.

Hey remember that 17 point 4th quarter comeback against the S**hawks I think it was in 03' or 04'........... ooohhh yes memories.just thought I would put a smile on our faces.

Comment

I don't think AV begrudges anyone the ability to kick the dog every now and then but he seems a little fed up with the "Yea but" fans.

Devaney is now in charge. Yea but we are screwed up beyond repair.

We just hired coach Spags. Yea but it will take decades to turn us around.

Just signed Brown. Yea but he is just one piece of a puzzle we can't solve.

Draft Crabtree, Curry and Smith. Yea but why couldn't we also get Stafford?

Win the Superbowl in 2009. Yea but I doubt we will stay successful.

Being optimistic or pessimistic is a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
                      You see, there is a certain type of "fan." The type that is more interested in "being right" than they are in seeing the team succeed.
                      If you take out "Rams" and put in Bernie's name in this post and then the finger points directly at you and I. There is a certain type of "fan" that is more often than not very negative about Bernie's reporting. So, what. We are entitled to our opinion, just like people that seem to be negative about "everything Rams".

For some people that is their temperment, I think that every discussion board will benefit from having one or two of those type guys. If you've ever lived in St. Louis, you'll come across a lot of people like that.

if called out individually, these "fans" will do one of two things (or both). They will (1) claim to be the true "realists," and/or (2) whine that they are being censored.
                      Who likes to be pigenholed? And personally, I'm sure there are quite a few more reasons for a person's perspective, (some valid some not).

That's what "fans" like this are: bores.
                      You made my point. If people feel bored about the Rams, they are entitled to have that opinion. If you feel bored about specific perspectives, you are entitled to have that opinion.

As long as they are not shoving their perspective down my throat, I'll respect and validate their viewpoint, and I'll defend their entitlement to have that opinion.

But if they want to shove their view down my throat, eff em. It means that they don't respect my view and are deserving of no respect in return.

In my book, the only reason to even bother spending time being a fan is to extend hope that this year will be "the year."
                      Nothing wrong with having unrealistic hopes. And there is nothing wrong with a person that chooses not to let their hopes get up too high.

I think a good discussin board has some of both, and a lot of people that fit in the spectrum somewhere inbetween those two extremes.

That's what made 1999 so special to me. I had spent over 20 years believing each season that this was "the year." Sure, there were times that, deep down, I knew I was kidding myself. But then, one year, it all paid off.
                      I always hope the big hand and the little hand on a clock points straight up. I get my wish twice a day.

For your sake, I'm glad you are not a Cub's fan.

As fans, we don't draft or sign the players, devise the gameplans, call the plays, or battle it out on the field.
                      For most of us, being a fan means that we have fun being an armchair QB, armchair HC, armchair GM, etc...

All we can do is try, in our own little way, to be part of that "12th man" that, hopefully, inspires the team to play just that much harder.
                      You sound like a Chief's fan. (Anyone that has been to a Chief's home game knows what I mean) And I wish more Rams fans were like you. Because of having to gone to over 50 Rams games in St. Louis there are way too many people that have no clue what a 3rd and short situation is.

So, have at it with the .... "how dare you interfere with my Free Speech"
                      There are always the ignorant people that choose to ignore the words "congress shall make no law". They deserve no apologies.

Comment

Where's BlackTrout when you need him................... ?

My glass is always half full, for some it's always half empty !

Maineram -

Comment

BobCarl, when did you come out from hibernation? We thought you left around 2004.

lol
                          Last edited by txramsfan; -03-07-2009, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maineram View Post
                            Where's BlackTrout when you need him................... ?

My glass is always half full, for some it's always half empty !

Maineram -

I personally filleted BlackTrout, put spices on him, and fried his butt.

Comment

Originally posted by McKnight
                              Every year I trick myself into thinking that this is 2000 and we are just coming off a SB win. that's how I get pumped for the season. it kinda works.
                              I think you just magnified Av's entire post with this comment. You shouldn't have to think it's 2000 to get excited ...

Comment

widgetinstance 232 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X