Wow We Are In Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow We Are In Trouble

I guess my 1st question is why did we not spy Vick? Not that it would have given us the win but how do you leave him unaccounted for. This loss was the whole teams fault coaches included. Martz still baffles me by wasting challenges. He even tried to challenge a play that you couldnt challenge, so I dont know what to think about that. Like I said in another post maybe we need a challenge/timeout coach LOL. Special teams almost looks worse thatn when April was here. Note to Martz: Steven Jackson is NOT a kick returner, he is too slow for that job. Dont we all remember the days of Tony Horne, he was a game changer, he was fast, he had a shot to break it every time. Tony Horne was Dante Hall before Dante was. Martz must remember Horne and Hakim (yes he fumbled alot) but he had speed and made game changing plays. I guarantee Jackson or Arlen Harris will never run a kick off back for a TD. We need some game changing plays from anyone. Our defense is horrible, these players need to step up. They just dont look motivated. Pisa gets credit and AW too but overall we need work. Every week Bruce and Holt bring it, Looker is doing ok. I hope Pace gets into camp next year cause he didnt look too good today. With our tough schedule if we dont get better we are in big trouble. Its a shame with all the talent we have, that we look this bad. Bulger needs more time from the O Line, some of his decisions are questionable but you gotta help the guy out too O Line. I hope we can pull through but its going to be tough. :ramlogo: :helmet:

Re: Wow We Are In Trouble

My two cents:

I have a sneaking suspision that Mr. Martz takes challenges as a longer time out and not because he really is challenging the call. I also am not very confident in Mr. Bulgers abilities. I know his numbers are good, but I have a gut feeling that he will not take us over the top.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

I guess my 1st question is why did we not spy Vick?
      You don't know how many times I screamed this throughout the game. The defense looked like they just didn't care. I don't know how many times it looked like guys were just jogging out there. Very disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonJoe
        My two cents:

I have a sneaking suspision that Mr. Martz takes challenges as a longer time out and not because he really is challenging the call. I also am not very confident in Mr. Bulgers abilities. I know his numbers are good, but I have a gut feeling that he will not take us over the top.
        Well I'm not so sure he uses them for a timeout, but one of these times we are going to NEED a challenge and wont have it cause Martz used it for a timeout??? Cmon if we didnt waste our timeouts also we could actually use a timeout for a timeout (wow what a good idea) and save our challenges for important plays. Martz gets alot of flack and I think he deserves it. It's not like he makes a questionable call once in a while, it's an every week ordeal. Again I say WHY is Jackson a kick returner? Same with Harris? Just look at last year, we didnt need a fullback LOL then Lamar Gordon was our fullback LOL. I'm glad we found Goodspeed but its those questionable calls that make us all wonder if Martz should just be the Offensive Coordiantor or fired all together. I want to say to Martz, remember Tony Horne? Well put a Tony Horne like player in as KR and see what happens. Curtis and MacDonald are the speedsters so get em in there. I guess I'm thankful that Jackson isnt returning punts too.

Comment

Double Post
          Last edited by ramsbruce; -09-20-2004, 10:44 AM. Reason: Double Post

Comment

As bad as we played yesterday, we were tied going into the 4th quarter. The offense was moving the ball through the air, and I just knew it was going to be a turnover that causes a W or L. I don't think we are as bad as we looked in Atlanta, let's see how we bounce back against an old rival this Sunday.

Comment

Well I hope we can bounce back, our schedule is tough this year. :helmet:

Comment

Wow we are in trouble the second the Rams let Warner go. Marc is playing as well as he can and we still are .500. Yeah its early but I can’t see Marc making big plays, don’t get me wrong he looks great from 15 yards and in, but he still is just throwing the ball up for grabs down the field.

It’s funny how when Warner lost a game he started, now matter what happen during the game, poor O-line, no “D”, sad special teams, dropped balls, freak plays what ever it all came back to Warner. Well where is it going to go now that’s he gone. Will Marts step up and say he, making poor decision, like throwing out of your own end zone late in the game.

Is Marc play going to be good enough to cover for a weak “D”, bad special teams, poor use of time outs and no running game or will he start to be come the reason that Martz can’t beat good teams and only find ways to beat the below .500 teams and put a positive spin on it.

Warner might not have been the answer but it’s clear to me he was not the entire problem. Most of the problems still are with us, not “fixed” Martz like to say we can “fix that”, but he never does. I watched the Giants game and with time to throw the ball Warner still can, he is not in need of a hand transplant, that the FO of the Rams made everyone believe, he had to be hurt why else would you stop playing a two time MVP. The Rams have more issue then a QB that was going through a slump. Now we have an average QB playing well but that’s not going to be enough.
                Last edited by Rambos; -09-20-2004, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambos
                  will he start to be come the reason that Martz can’t beat good teams and only find ways to beat the below .500 teams and put a positive spin on it.
                  Actually, Martz win % for teams above .500 is amazingly close to both his overall win % and his win % against teams below .500...for what's it's worth.
                  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Thats with Warner, lets see what happens with Marc and last year the teams we played were weak.

Comment

Last year with Bulger at QB the Rams had a winning record against teams over .500 and 3-1 against playoff teams.

Comment

Yesterday's game was disappointing to me. Still, I honestly do not think we are in trouble.

Sure, there are a good number of things to attend and improve on ... I just don't think yesterday's result is indicative of the character and potential of our team for this season. Mentioned elsewhere, this defeat is a premature -- but necessary & welcomed -- WAKEUP CALL.

Nonetheless, we had better start making those adjustments. I am really looking forward to meeting the Saints!

And winning. ;)

:angryram:
                        Last edited by RealRam; -09-21-2004, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambos
                          Wow we are in trouble the second the Rams let Warner go.
                          I suppose its my fault that this nonsense is being posted, right?

Yeah its early but I can’t see Marc making big plays, don’t get me wrong he looks great from 15 yards and in, but he still is just throwing the ball up for grabs down the field.
                          Thankfully, Holt grabbed that 36 yard TD then.

Man, this stuff amazes me.

Comment

Guys,
                            I think Tx provided us with a good viewpoint. We were tied going into the 4th. TOs hurt us.

Balance your viewpoint. I remember when we won last week, everybody felt good. Now, things go south in the last quarter and its "it all sucks".

Give the team at least 4 games before judging them. Of COURSE! you've seen some weaknesses. You guys are too dedicated and knowledgeable to have missed them. But we have some strengths also.

Like yourselves, I think we can do better. But it ain't over yet.

Comment

What's going on Coy Bacon and cheese? Are you trying to be a positive person and post positive posts? I am not sure that I can handle it.

It is no where close to over yet. It's only the second game of the season and there are a whole lot more games to play.

Time to move on and think about the aints. We need a win this week.
                              sigpic

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• LaRamsFanLongTime
                                It must stop here
                                by LaRamsFanLongTime
                                After a terrible loss like this once again things will fall on Martz. This is the time that he needs to make his big adjustments and show the Rams are still the Rams. My biggest question for him is what happened to spreading the feild. The Rams have a lot of speed still. Bring in Mcdonald for some 5 receiver sets. Hell use Jackson out there. I know I know in order for that to work the o line needs to step up right? Yes and no. If you remember the Rams biggest threat with the greatest show on turf was the quick slants then play makers being play makers. So far this offence looks like any other offence. Bring back the flair the crazy plays this offence has what it takes to
                                execute Mad Mike Martz' crazy offensive schemes they just need a chance.

TIME and TIME again we see terrible challenges and poor clock management.
                                This has gone on for way to long. Someone needs to simply put it to Martz in a way he could understand. Here I will try. STOP THE BS CLOCK MANAGEMENT AND BAD CHALLENGES. THE GUY IN THE BOOTH WILL CALL YOU AND SAY WHEN YOU SHOULD CHALLENGE. WHEN THE BALL GOES 14 YARDS ON THE ONSIDE KICK YOU DONT CHALLENGE.

Torry Holt and Issac Bruce damn I love these guys. But what happened to the runs after the catch. As soon as the defensive player gets anywhere near them they dive like a qb. They used to run and make plays. People say look at the way they protect the ball. Well I see that only when you are gonna get hit right when you catch it. If that is not the case make a play.
                                The runs after the catch are needed for the spreading of the feild to work.

Defence well what can I say? They totally need to step up and do things differently. I think this falls a little on Martz as well. They need to cover the middle alot better. The middle was void of defender's the whole game. Draws will eat us up all year if this continues. It all basically just seeem to fall on over pursuit and blitzes w/o anyone in the box. I hate to say it but the safeties really looked bad today. If they cannot hold down the fort who can.
                                -09-19-2004, 02:02 PM
                              • Nick
                                Martz: 'We have to fix some things'
                                by Nick
                                Martz: 'We have to fix some things'
                                BY JEFF GORDON
                                STLtoday.com Sports
                                09/20/2004

Rams coach Mike Martz still expects big things from his football team.

But after that 34-17 loss in Atlanta, Martz said there will be plenty of work to do at Rams Park.

"We have some things to clean up," Martz said. "That stuff doesn't happen overnight. But we're going to end up being a real good team.

"But we have to fix some things, no question about it."

Here are some other highlights of his Q & A session with reporters:

On what went wrong in Atlanta:

"They got us on our heels on all three phases of the game, and on the road, this team needs to learn to fight back. I thought that we did that, getting the game back to a 17-17 position. Then we did not make a play on a reverse and a couple of other things happened offensively. We did not finish this thing the way you would like to see us do it. There are some lessons to be learned from this.

"There were a lot of mistakes in this game, more mistakes than we would have thought. I think our players did prepare well. Again, in that environment, we just didn't see it on the field.

"This is one of the few times in my career that we practiced very well and did not play well. A lot of it has to do with getting down early and not responding well as a football team."

"Coming out of our own end zone, we have a penalty on a kickoff return that's unnecessary. We get into a little bit of a panic offensively, you know, and put ourselves in a hole.

"A young team like this, particularly on defense, a lot of the young players have not had that kind of adversity. When you get down like that, you cannot panic . . . you just have to stay focused, know how to respond. You teach them to respond. That's where we are with this.

"What's happened has happened. Now you have to go back and make the corrections. We understand what we need to do this week to get it done. Now the process begins."

On why the game went south:

"We were in position to make a play and didn't do it. We had some penalties . . . this was problematic throughout the game, whether it was a facemask penalty or false start or all those things. We just can't have those, particularly at critical times. We made mistakes at critical times that you just can't make.

"When the game is that close and there is a play that's there to be made, you have to make that play. In those three phases of the game, when we had to make a play, we couldn't. They need to learn from that. There are a lot of things that need to be straightened out."

On the struggles against the run:

"A lot of those two-back runs were...
                                -09-20-2004, 08:19 PM
                              • LaRamsFanLongTime
                                Martz not the problem?
                                by LaRamsFanLongTime
                                Sorry, he is plain and simple. Yeah the defence sucks this year. Who did not see that coming with is inability to draft a defensive star. he also just does not get that team fired up. I really beleive this team is Like Phil and the Lakers. This guy as all the answers but after awhile no one wants to listen to him. He is losing his grasp on this team and his players. The veterans are fed up and frustrated. The youngsters have not bought into him he needs to go. People say he did not throw the pick, he did not give up the big play, but HE did.He is not identifying the weakness in the other team like he once did. That TE bomb was great. This is something he has not truly identified you know that fact that they have a TE. Yesterday we had a great mismatch with Brown lining up on defence instead of putting Holt or Bruce on him they put Mcdonald. I saw the mismatches did Martz. He is an offensive braniac right?

People have called question to my appeared hypocritical statements which basically is "I want Martz to be more aggresive and run some trickery and five receiver sets like he used to" then I say "I wish he would be more conservative" seems fair to say I am a hypocrite. What it all means though is plain and simple(I seem to like that phrase alot lately) I want him to have that killer instinct when it is needed not when it is 4th and punt time and you give the opposing team another chance by accepting a third down penalty. What about going for it when you should kick or not going for it when you should like last year in the playoffs. It just seems his balance is always off and he very rarely makes the right decision. (MARTZ Brain)My team loses to the Miami Dolphins so I think I will give them the buy week off. BS!!! man a real coach would be on their a$$ having them run the stadium stairs over and over again. Motivation by strict discipline is the way football is and always has been.

I am not only off the fence about martz I am in the process off tearing the fence down so I am not tempted to sit back on top of it.
                                -11-08-2004, 11:10 AM
                              • sbramfan
                                Martz's head?
                                by sbramfan
                                (long, sorry, I tend to RAMble):

I think when you discuss whether MM should be replaced you can't just look at one game, but I do believe his job is on the line, and although he will remain the coach this entire year (IMHO), he will need to turn this ship around to be coaching this team next year.

A number of things come directly to mind as to why I a have unfortunately begun to think he is no longer the best person to run this team, if he ever was. The further we get away from the GSOT, it seems more obvious that the descipline and talent he took to the superbowl in '01 was left over from the Vermeil era. Lovie Smith was a god-send, but doesn't really apply as a reason to justify Mike Martz' ability to coach this team.

1. We'll fix that.
                                OK, I know that this is a common theme around here, but I think we need to hold Mike accountable to the number of times he has said this and look to see if ANYTHING ever did get fixed. Because as I see it, the things he said he would fix, are exactly the things still wrong with this team:
                                a: overpursuit on defense. wow, this is bad.
                                b: overall special teams... can someone explain to me why the punter (stempke?) was released in the offseason? Then another guy was brought on, and then let go in lieu of this rookie that is terrible? Berger was a pro-bowler, and although expensive, we know where the dollars went...anywhere but special teams. (OK, Wilkins got a contract, but that's because he scores points and Martz sees him as his 3 point QB, instead of his 7 point QB)
                                c: starting field position. I know that Johnson is an improvement, and Fair looks good, but this is just rediculous. How can you start every series in the past 4 years from the 10 yard line? Every single one. (I'd like to say I'm exaggerating, but it's actually true.)
                                d: kickoffs: wouldn't you get a punter on this team who can kick the ball into the end zone every time? I know they are out there. Many teams have the punter kick off because he has a stronger leg than the FG kicker. Shouldn't this be a priority? Is this rocket science?

This team was sitting at 6-8 last year and I felt this same way... I'm not certain that winning the final 2 games and making the playoffs without a winning record should overshadow the mediocrity of this team last year, and so far this year. Mike Martz' play calling seems to have gotten stale, and as we all know, he doesn't make adjustments in strategy mid-game. I was watching the "game of the week" between Pittsburg and NE, and they were showing the chess match of the Stealers overloading the pats left side of the O'line because there were 2 rookies in, due to injuries. Which worked for awhile, until the Pats started throwing to the overloaded side, where the coverage was soft due to the LB's blitzing... all I could think is...we don't even get into any chess matches. We're just...
                                -10-05-2005, 06:26 PM
                              • Rambos
                                Better late then never…
                                by Rambos
                                “Some of the stuff that we are doing front wise we are going to get away from,” Martz said. “We don’t like it. Some of the stuff that hurt us last year doesn’t fit our personality or our personnel. So we are going to change some of those things. A lot of this is about coaching.”

Ok couple things, ““Some of the stuff that we are doing front wise we are going to get away from,” Martz said. “We don’t like it” Mike it’s not like you where forced to run these schemes again, you had all off-season to look at the film and see that these sets do not work.

“So we are going to change some of those things. A lot of this is about coaching.”

All of this is coaching; take a look at last year playoff game enough said. I can’t believe we wasted time practicing these sets this year, when did Martz realize that the new LB we brought in, where not the right guys to run this crap. . “We don’t like it”, translated means this crap does not work!
                                -08-23-2005, 07:00 PM
                              Working...
                              X