• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martz: 'We have to fix some things'

Martz: 'We have to fix some things'
    BY JEFF GORDON
    STLtoday.com Sports
    09/20/2004

Rams coach Mike Martz still expects big things from his football team.

But after that 34-17 loss in Atlanta, Martz said there will be plenty of work to do at Rams Park.

"We have some things to clean up," Martz said. "That stuff doesn't happen overnight. But we're going to end up being a real good team.

"But we have to fix some things, no question about it."

Here are some other highlights of his Q & A session with reporters:

On what went wrong in Atlanta:

"They got us on our heels on all three phases of the game, and on the road, this team needs to learn to fight back. I thought that we did that, getting the game back to a 17-17 position. Then we did not make a play on a reverse and a couple of other things happened offensively. We did not finish this thing the way you would like to see us do it. There are some lessons to be learned from this.

"There were a lot of mistakes in this game, more mistakes than we would have thought. I think our players did prepare well. Again, in that environment, we just didn't see it on the field.

"This is one of the few times in my career that we practiced very well and did not play well. A lot of it has to do with getting down early and not responding well as a football team."

"Coming out of our own end zone, we have a penalty on a kickoff return that's unnecessary. We get into a little bit of a panic offensively, you know, and put ourselves in a hole.

"A young team like this, particularly on defense, a lot of the young players have not had that kind of adversity. When you get down like that, you cannot panic . . . you just have to stay focused, know how to respond. You teach them to respond. That's where we are with this.

"What's happened has happened. Now you have to go back and make the corrections. We understand what we need to do this week to get it done. Now the process begins."

On why the game went south:

"We were in position to make a play and didn't do it. We had some penalties . . . this was problematic throughout the game, whether it was a facemask penalty or false start or all those things. We just can't have those, particularly at critical times. We made mistakes at critical times that you just can't make.

"When the game is that close and there is a play that's there to be made, you have to make that play. In those three phases of the game, when we had to make a play, we couldn't. They need to learn from that. There are a lot of things that need to be straightened out."

On the struggles against the run:

"A lot of those two-back runs were at the end of the game, where obviously we let down. Before that, they were averaging about three yards a rush. The two-back runs against the defense was below what you would want as a football team."

On failing to establish the run:

"Initially, we kind of stammered around there a little bit. When you look at our first few possessions, just the penalties down the field, the false starts. . . . You can't start first-and-20, first-and-15 all the time, second and 10. We have not done that the last three or four weeks. We were pretty good with that. That's all focus.

"We get down there on third and inches and there is a nice play to be made there, there really is. We've got to make sure we execute. We're in position to have a real good play and we didn't get it done."

On Steven Jackson's taunting penalty after a kickoff return:

"I guess he just did it without thinking. He was upset. You just have to have better control of your emotions, you just do. Obviously we addressed that."

On the risk of using Jackson in that role:

"He won't hurt anybody. He should be OK. I wouldn't expect him to hurt anybody. He also hurt that defensive lineman two weeks ago, but I told him to take it easy on the guys when he's carrying the ball."

On the need to improve the kickoff returns:

"We're addressing that. We were close on a couple of those, really close. We've got a lot of new guys back there. With Steven returning kicks, he's not done it for a while. He's such a good open-field runner, he sees things so well, that we're going to get good field position out of it.

"Again, we can't have a penalty on a good return, have an opportunity to start on the 25 or 30 and get backed up."

"The ideal guy would be a guy like Tony Horne, who can take it the distance any time. That's what you would like to have. We don't have that right now. Steven is fearless, he absolutely is. But the more involved he gets in the offense the less chance we'll use him on kickoff return."

On why Tommy Polley didn't play:

"It's a fractured rib, it's not a bruised rib. It's pretty painful. As he mends and gets better, he will continue to get more and more involved in the defense."

On whether rookie Dwight Anderson has a chance to replace Kevin Garrett at cornerback:

"No, no. In our quarter and our dime packages, we've got a lot of corners involved. We rotate them in and out. Garrett is so extensively involved in special teams. We've been very impressed with Dwight, we just didn't put him there as a desperation move. We like him. We'll believe he'll be a good player."

On the need to force turnovers (they have no takeaways after two games):

"It's a concern. That will come, I think. We work on it. We're all disappointed that we don't have some, but we just keep working on it. We keep working on the strip drill all the time. The picks will come as people start throwing the ball downfield."

Re: Martz: 'We have to fix some things'

Most of you can sit a listen to the B.S. I myself can't! :tongue:

Comment

What's he supposed to say theodus? Oh, I get it.

Martz is supposed to say this: "We stink. We can't tackle. We can't run the ball. We can't create turnovers. We can't win a challenge. We can't even keep the Gatorade cold."

Comment

Originally posted by JeffGordon24
        sMartz: 'We have to fix some things'
        BY JEFF GORDON
        STLtoday.com Sports
        09/20/2004

On the need to improve the kickoff returns:

"The ideal guy would be a guy like Tony Horne, who can take it the distance any time. That's what you would like to have. We don't have that right now. Steven is fearless, he absolutely is. But the more involved he gets in the offense the less chance we'll use him on kickoff return."
        What is galling is that he has no problem in admitting the truth but seems unwilling to face the fact that none of the people he has placed back there during his tenure even closely resemble Horne. Yet he keeps running the backs out there ...

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
          Martz on the Mike
          by RamWraith
          Head Coach Mike Martz
          Tuesday, September 21, 2004

(Opening comments)
          “Obviously we are disappointed with the game yesterday. I think that they got us on our heels in all three phases. On the road, this team needs to learn to fight back. I think we did that and got the game back to 17-17, then we just did not make a play on the reverse and a couple of other things happened offensively, and we didn’t finish this thing the way you would like to see it. There are some lessons to be learned from this game. We have gone through a lot of things with our players today. There were a lot of mistakes in this game. More mistakes than we would’ve thought. We prepared well, and again, in that environment, we just didn’t see it on the field. We just need to put this one to bed, learn from it, and get ready for the Saints.”

(On responding to a loss)
          “We have been in so many of these games in the last five or six years, that our veterans, Isaac (Bruce), Torry, (Holt), and Marshall (Faulk), know how to respond. What’s happened, has happened. Now you just have to go back and make the corrections. We understand what we need to do this week to get it done, now the process begins.”

(On giving up a score after tying the game)
          “I felt we were in positions to make plays, and didn’t do it. We had some penalties. This was problematic throughout the game. Whether it’s a face mask penalty or a false start, you just can’t have those, particularly in critical times. And we made mistakes at critical times that you just can’t make. When the game is that close, and there is a play there to be made, you just have to make that play. When we needed to make a play, we couldn’t make it. You need to learn from that. There are a lot of things that need to straighten out.

(On playing on the road)
          “I think that a young team like this, particularly on defense, where we have a lot of young players, have not had that kind of adversity. When you get down like that, you cannot panic and you just have to stay focused, and know how to respond. You need to teach them how to respond. They need to learn that lesson. On the sideline, it was real good when we were on our way back to tying that game up. We just need to finish it at that point. And again, making plays that are critical in the game, that’s the most critical game of the year right there. At that point you need to step up and make those plays.”

(On stopping the run)
          “A lot of those two-back runs were at the end of the game were, obviously, a let down. Before that they were averaging about three yards a rush. Their two-back run against the defense was, below what you would want as a football team. Vick, that whole situation, really hurt us. They did a nice job of changing up what they do and getting (Vick) out to the perimeter and challenging us out there. We made a couple of changes at half-time,...
          -09-22-2004, 05:06 AM
        • Nick
          Martz lashes out at players
          by Nick
          By Jeff Gordon
          STLtoday.com Sports
          11/08/2004

Rams coach Mike Martz is tired of taking the fall for poor player performance.

So "Mad Mike" was "Really Angry Mike" on Monday – and he said as much during his news conference at Rams Park.

“This is my fifth year doing this,” Martz said. “I’ve never tried to mislead you, sugar-coat anything. If I’ve screwed something up, I’ll tell you. I try to take a bullet whenever I can for somebody to help them.

"There comes a time when some of these guys just have to play. They just have to play.

“Players make plays. That’s the way it is. That’s not a cop-out or brushing it off on guys. I’m upset. We’ve got some guys we’re counting on, they have to step up. That’s the way it is.”

Here are some other highlights of his heated chat with reporters:

-On his team’s sloppy play against the Patriots:

“That’s a good football team, they played very well. The mistakes we made in that game we obviously can’t do against a good football team. The fumbled punt . . . the fake field goal, obviously, the fumble before the half ends up being a six-point swing, potentially . . . those are the kinds of things that put the defense on a short field.

“The intensity was good, but we did not play well in certain areas. Those are things we have to rectify. We met today and made some changes. We kind of understand what needs to be done at this point; now it’s a question of getting it done.”

-On what changes may be made:

“We understand what our problems are, what we need to address. There may be some personnel changes. Just a couple things we have to address. There are things we can do. The problem is not real hard to identify. The solution is hard. I’m confident we will get that done.

“There are some things that rose up in this game that I didn’t believe were problems in the past. There are some areas that we’ve played very well in that we did not play very well in (Sunday). The consistency is what we need out of the guys.”

-On what went wrong on the Patriots’ fake field goal:

“We practiced that all week, the exact same thing, several times. Walked through it, talked about it, ran it. What had happened is they had lined up quickly, we were going onto the field, the two corners decided they were going to switch. One corner had a sore shoulder. As they were switching, (the Patriots) got the pass off.

“It’s one of those things. They recognized it, but they were caught in the middle of changing over. It ended up becoming a comedy of errors, really, more than anything else. The smart thing to do would have been to call time out. We recognized it . . . call a timeout is what you would have liked to do against the fake punt in...
          -11-08-2004, 04:48 PM
        • RamWraith
          Martz finally speaks out!!!
          by RamWraith

By Jeff Gordon
          STLtoday.com Sports
          11/08/2004
          Rams coach Mike Martz is tired of taking the fall for poor player performance.

So "Mad Mike" was "Really Angry Mike" on Monday – and he said as much during his news conference at Rams Park.

“This is my fifth year doing this,” Martz said. “I’ve never tried to mislead you, sugar-coat anything. If I’ve screwed something up, I’ll tell you. I try to take a bullet whenever I can for somebody to help them.

"There comes a time when some of these guys just have to play. They just have to play.

“Players make plays. That’s the way it is. That’s not a cop-out or brushing it off on guys. I’m upset. We’ve got some guys we’re counting on, they have to step up. That’s the way it is.”

Here are some other highlights of his heated chat with reporters:

On his team’s sloppy play against the Patriots:

“That’s a good football team, they played very well. The mistakes we made in that game we obviously can’t do against a good football team. The fumbled punt . . . the fake field goal, obviously, the fumble before the half ends up being a six-point swing, potentially . . . those are the kinds of things that put the defense on a short field.

“The intensity was good, but we did not play well in certain areas. Those are things we have to rectify. We met today and made some changes. We kind of understand what needs to be done at this point; now it’s a question of getting it done.”

On what changes may be made:

“We understand what our problems are, what we need to address. There may be some personnel changes. Just a couple things we have to address. There are things we can do. The problem is not real hard to identify. The solution is hard. I’m confident we will get that done.

“There are some things that rose up in this game that I didn’t believe were problems in the past. There are some areas that we’ve played very well in that we did not play very well in (Sunday). The consistency is what we need out of the guys.”

On what went wrong on the Patriots’ fake field goal:

“We practiced that all week, the exact same thing, several times. Walked through it, talked about it, ran it. What had happened is they had lined up quickly, we were going onto the field, the two corners decided they were going to switch. One corner had a sore shoulder. As they were switching, (the Patriots) got the pass off.

“It’s one of those things. They recognized it, but they were caught in the middle of changing over. It ended up becoming a comedy of errors, really, more than anything else. The smart thing to do would have been to call time out. We recognized it . . . call a timeout is what you would have liked to do against the fake...
          -11-08-2004, 05:05 PM
        • RamWraith
          Rams Q-and-A: Martz on Monday
          by RamWraith
          Compiled by Jeff Gordon
          STLtoday.com Sports
          Monday, Nov. 15 2004

Rams coach Mike Martz was in a predictably good mood the day after his team
          handled the Seattle Seahawks 23-12.

“We’re very pleased with the effort of this football team, the intensity we
          were able to keep throughout the game,” Martz said. “It didn’t wane at any
          time. Even with some of the big plays they were able to hit on our defense, we
          were able to run to the ball.

“We had some mistakes in the running game. We had some guys out of place and
          make a mental error, which resulted in some big plays. They made some plays,
          obviously, they are a good football team. They are going to do that.

“A couple of real big indications would be the red zone stops, to get down in
          that situation and not let them in and hold them out from scoring touchdowns
          speaks volumes about the resolve and the tenacity.

“We didn’t do everything right, there is no question about that. There is a lot
          to fix and continue to get better that. As long as you play with that type of
          attitude and enthusiasm, you can accomplish an awful lot.”

Here were some other highlights of the news conference:

On the play of the offensive line:

“We had to shake things up there in the fourth quarter. For Grant (Williams) to
          go to left tackle, (Chris Dishman) has got a knee situation and Tommy (Nutten)
          goes in and plays very well. It has taken him some time to get his weight and
          his strength back up, but at this point he’s back up to where he was when he
          left, weight-wise and strength-wise. I’m very confident about his ability to
          start at left guard.

“Blaine Saipaia came in and did a terrific job. There is a lot to like about
          (Saipaia). Coming out of college, we had such a high grade on him. We kind of
          tracked him a little bit. We were able to get ahold of him, bring him in here.
          As we went through practice, it became very evident he has excellent feet. He
          has got terrific punch. He’s a strong guy, learns quickly, is a quick study on
          a lot of the stuff. Very physical player. When we moved him to right tackle, he
          was a fish out of water. He didn’t take to the pass rush very well. But over
          time, he’s done a great job on that.

"He has enough confidence to play and not be stressed out. He is very poised. I
          wasn’t sure he would play as well as he did. People say he’s too short at I
          guess 6-3 or whatever, I don’t understand that. I don’t know. If you block
          them, that’s good enough.

“I felt like the New England game was an exception to what this group really
          is. I thought they responded very well. Anytime you rush for 200 yards against
          anybody, that...
          -11-16-2004, 05:40 AM
        • RamWraith
          Martz Speaks! Rams in Week 2
          by RamWraith
          By Jeff Gordon
          Online Sports Columnist
          Monday, Sep. 19 2005

Upon Further Review, Rams coach Mike Martz was quite pleased with the play of
          his defense and special teams Sunday in Arizona.

“Special teams play improved remarkably,” Martz said during his Monday news
          conference. “Our kickoff coverage, the average starting field position was the
          20-yard line, which is outstanding. In the kicking game, the battle really is
          for field position. Anything else from the turnover standpoint is a bonus. I
          think from field position standpoint, our (special) teams were excellent,
          particularly coverage teams.”

Defensively, Martz cited safety Adam Achuleta, defensive end Leonard Little,
          linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa, cornerback DeJuan Groce and defensive tackles Jimmy
          Kennedy and Ryan Pickett for extra praise.

“I thought we played really good team defense,” Martz said. “We rallied to (the
          ball), we got them out on an awful lot of third-down situations, which was a
          difficult thing for us last year and years past. Third and long we weren’t very
          good. We rallied here. Larry (Marmie) has done a real good job putting this
          defense together. A real nice timed call down in the red zone on that blitz to
          get the sack and win the game.

Here was Martz’s take on some other issues:

On his overall thoughts about the victory: “We’re starting to come
          together a little bit. We’re not where we need to be, obviously. We were very
          pleased with the effort. Down there in the heat, our guys performed very well.
          We had a number of players go down with the stomach flu. It was a tough
          afternoon, a hard-fought win.”

On positive changes in his kick coverage teams: “We got some
          veterans more involved. It’s difficult . . . you project some of these rookies
          based on the preseason and their play, then the regular season started and the
          speed of this game changes so dramatically. They were a little shocked by it.
          We’ve had to make a move quickly and we did that in a couple of areas that
          helped us.”

On potential for adjustments in the kick return teams: “There are a
          couple of things we’re going to do here in the next week from the personnel
          standpoint that we think might give us a little boost, particularly in the punt
          return. Kickoff return, we’ll just have to see. We want to make sure when we
          look at the tape that we’re getting guys blocked. It doesn’t really make sense
          to change those kinds of thing unless the returner is the fault.”

On going back to Arlen Harris for some returns: “I think that (Chris
          Johnson) was involved defensively quite a bit. That was probably the main
          reason. The biggest thing about Arlen is with...
          -09-20-2005, 05:16 AM
        Working...
        X