Deeeefense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deeeefense

How about THAT for a topic. Those of you who have read some of my posts, know that I have been intently focused on the D side of the ball. I LOVED Sunday. The Rams Defense outplayed the so called best D in football. I don't think the Rams D needs to prove anything now. Shut down the Eagles and the Dolphins running game (whiners don't really have one), two of the best running teams in the NFL. You shut down the run (have you seen the Ravens running game lately? pathetic) and make opponents throw, the Rams corners will come back big. Take a look at Bly yesterday, he played great. As did McCleon. I don't mind Williams getting penalties, he is not used to playing on a contender. He will settle down, those penalties will not come in later. Archuleta played the pass like a vet yesterday, saw him a couple times on double teaming the deep receiver, I just about lost my voice on an incomplete pass. lol With Wistrom back providing pash rush, Ahanotu stuffing the run, Polley looking good filling in for Fields, Herring providing stability in the secondary, Jackson being a nice surprise, I just love our D. Talk about the O all we want, we do have the best O ever. I just really love our Defense. Congrats to the D, they get my game ball. Imagine, if we could hold every team to under 20 points a game,.......

Polley seemed to be all over the field on Sunday, he certainly didn't let himself down and wil only get better. I know the fins reckon they played bad rather than the Rams were good but you gotta question the number of running plays they called when they were two and three scores down. The run only opens up the pass if the run is working , but on Sunday the Rams D had them shut down
    :helmet:
    GO CLAYMORES : DEAD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

Comment

You can't help but be impressed with how this new defense has come together. The new faces are playing like they've been here all along and the rookies don't look like no rookies. Looking forward to the sure-to-happen future shut outs against some ****y teams. In your faces!

Comment

I'll give some credit to the Rams D .. but they still gave up 253 yards 204 in passing .. and in my opinion Miami doesn't have a vertical game .. the Run was locked down but the passing still needs some work .. the D did it's job .. that's all I will say .. they will improve though .. they are getting more and more confident as a unit

Go Rams!

Comment

Re: Deeeefense

You ever wonder how long Tx has been this board's Minister of Defense?

Comment

Yes, January of 2001. Long time.

How about 2005's defense. "How about THAT for a topic?" I have a feeling we'll be even more excited about this season's D. We'll have more than one avid fan praising this side of the Rams game this year.

PS: anyone seen MsWistRam?

Comment

I'm really looking forward to some of the position battles , mainly for FS. It looks like we have an interesting corp of safeties this year.
              JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS
              :ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram:

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
              Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge
                PS: anyone seen MsWistRam?
                I was wondering the same thing when I saw her post... kind of frightens me when people like her and Karl-Baker just suddenly disappear.

Comment

Karl-Baker... there's a name I haven't seen in a while. Wonder what happened to Karl.

Comment

We have to slow down the oppositions running game to be the #1 team again
                    sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

And with Claiborne at LB and the play of Kennedy and Pickett at the end of last year, MY DEFENSE (lol) will be much more stubborn against the run.

Comment

So TX,
                        Who do you think will be the starting FS this year?
                        :ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram:

Comment

I think it will be another Memphis boy, Michael Stone. He's been hurt off and on during his career, but he has played special teams alot too.

Comment

I was kid of leaning toward Stone myself. Unless one of the rookies is outstanding in pre-season, he's got an inside shot.

Hopefully he can provide good coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan
                              I think it will be another Memphis boy, Michael Stone. He's been hurt off and on during his career, but he has played special teams alot too.
                              Not surprisingly, the Rams own minister of defense Tyoka Jackson said the same thing. Must be a D thing that I don't know about. I'm still rooting for O.J.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Atlas
                                Congratulations!
                                by Atlas
                                It was a good game against the *****. I have just one question though. Do the Rams plan on making every game they play the Game of the Week? This Miami game will be a good one. A top notch offense against a top notch defense. I think the game will depend on the Rams defense holding the Dolphins offense.

There is one thing to remember. If there is one team that can capitalize on another team's mistakes...it's the Dolphins. The Rams are going to have to try to cut back on penalties in this one. Don't help Fielder move the chains with yellow flags. He's showing he's willing to do that himself, without help.

Good luck in the game. may the best team win.
                                -09-26-2001, 04:00 PM
                              • Rampingitup
                                Still excited
                                by Rampingitup
                                Let me first say sorry for some of the snippy comments I have directed at some of the complainers. I forgot one of my favorite cliches, "You have the right to state your opinion, and I have the right not to listen."

Having said that I am still excited about this season. The loss to the Eagles stung, as any loss does, but I was still a little encouraged at the way we did hang tough against one of the best teams in the league.

We have good depth at running back, something we have been sorely lacking for the last several years.

Regardless of what people think I thought our defense did a reasonably decent job trying to hold up an elite offense. We did not get completely run over as some other teams did. We kept it competitive for quite a while, and in fact if you take back the interception TD that game was really close.

The offense showed flashes, just not consistent. And the drops were, and are, infuriating! Rookie nerves can be blamed for a couple of the drops, but the others were really inexcusable. Maybe you can't make every play, but you should make the easy plays. You are wide open, no one near you, the ball hits you in the hands, you CATCH it! Just like in practice. But again, the running game looked pretty sound, the O line held up reasonably against a really good blitzing defense. Get rid of the ball a little faster and catch some of those drops and we would have made the Eagles pay a little more dearly for those blitzes.

Special teams did just fine, and seems to be the most stable part of the team right now. (Hate saying that, but at least it needs the least amount of work)

So if the receivers start catching passes instead of dropping them, I think we should be in good shape over all. But the next seven weeks are going to be rough as hell.

Maybe I should take a sabbatical from here until it is over, so I can avoid all the gnashing of teeth, and ranting and raving. :-)
                                -09-15-2011, 06:31 AM
                              • Coach_Largent
                                Tuesday Edition... Saints @ Rams.........(long)
                                by Coach_Largent
                                Rams fans.... this is the first in my weekly posts that I do for the upcomong weekend. This is just to offer the game from another perspective. I always enjoy going to the enemy forums and checking out the different takes on the game. It is not intended as smack, that is what smack boards are for. I watch tapes of just about every game that I can get my hands on, and between myself and 2 other coaching friends we usually tape 8-10 games a week. Take it as it is.

So, here we are as little as 3 weeks ago this looked like a possible clash between NFC elite. The battle for NFC West ( and NFC ) supremacy. It has turned into a wild-card hopeful vs. a Super Bowl expectant. Is this realistic ?
                                Yes and no. The season is still very early, the inevitable injury bug is starting to hit every team in the league and many team fortunes will be won or lost by undrafted or unheralded young back-ups and grizzled veterans hanging on for one more season as back-ups. That being said, the Rams are playing very well. The improvement in speed on D is evident and they force teams out of their normal gameplans early, in effect, not having defend near as much field or scheme, think of it as defensive offense.

So what can we expect ? Depends on what New Orleans team shows up and how big the loss of both Willie Roaf, to injury, and Aaron Brooks missing confidence are.

Let's take a look at the Rams. The first question is, "Are they vulnerable and where ?" The answer came in the most suprising tape of all. The Detroit Lion game. I watched this Monday night tilt live and remember James Stewart taking the Lions straight down the field only to have Batch throw that pass to I don't even know who , for an INT. When watching on tape, I found something WAY more interesting. Stewart got almost all of his yardage (6.8 ypc ) straight up the middle. A-gap.When the Lions ran the stretch or slide plays off-tackle, the Rams swarmed them with LB's and Little off of the backside. Lots of speed. So, my objective was clear, watch the other 5 games and see where guys got yards. Lo and behold the Jets blowout gave me these numbers ( Curtis Martin 4.5, LaMont Jordan 8.5, and Richie Anderson 6.5 ypc ) 9 (of 24) rushes inside the OG's and a 74 % of their rushing yardage on these carries. LaMont Jordan had good success up the gut. The Dolphins and Chan Gailey never went away from the stretch and Smith was bottled up all day by a fast, aggresive defense that was unconcerned with Fiedler.
                                So, what does this give the Saints? A liltte hope. The Saints can be effective running the football UP THE GUT. The Rams D is fast and it does hit, and it is improved, so the running game will have to come right up the middle, although I am interested in seeing a team run the counter tre' right at L.Little. Seems like you could take his upfield speed and the pursuit of the LB's and use it against them by trapping him upfield. So, why haven't we seen...
                                -10-23-2001, 06:55 AM
                              • chiguy
                                Most disappointing unit?
                                by chiguy
                                I've been a Sam supporter since he was drafted, but even I'm starting to have doubts that he can be the QB we want. But if we're talking about team performance, I still don't see how he can be seen as the "problem." This made me think about the following question -- which are the units that are not progressing/playing well, as that is probably where the "problems" are. My shot at listing them is below:

1. Offensive line. The most experienced group on the roster and one of the most highly paid. But there is no push in the running game and save the first two games, they haven't done much in pass protection either. JLong looked terrible last game...like REALLY terrible.

2. Linebackers. This was tough for me as WRs and CBs haven't performed up to snuff, but this group isn't getting the job done in the run or pass game. The d-line seems like they're doing what they're supposed to, but the LBs overrun the play and are susceptible to the cut-back. They don't shed tacklers. And, the coverage has been mediocre. JL hasn't looked good until the ***** game; Alex has been a bright spot, though he makes some rookie mistakes.

3. Running backs. Do we have any, or they victim of play calling and woeful blocking? I'm going with "all of the above."

4. Coaches. The unwillingness to adjust in game is perplexing. And at point are we going to emphasize 1) not running out of the end zone on kickoffs and 2) proper blocking. Seriously, the refs are not getting it wrong; we are. And why are our corners playing so soft? And so.

5. Special teams. K/P are fine. I'm sure everyone else is tired of starting drives behind the 10 yard line.

6. Secondary. Jenkins has been decent and so has Johnson. Everyone else? Meh. TJ and McCleod brings some wallop, but they also have issues with positioning. And Finnegan? He's been just terrible. And that was being generous.

7. WRs/TEs. There are good moments, but not enough. Given the youth of the unit, its somewhat understandable. But there are too many drops and an inability to get free.

8. Quarterback. He was fine the first two weeks, mediocre the third, and awful in the fourth. Most importantly, he's starting to look like he's losing confidence. Think Bugler at the end...its starting to look like that to me. Starting to.

9. Defensive line. We need more push, but they aren't the problem per se.
                                -09-29-2013, 07:41 AM
                              • Raptor
                                Rams @ Hawks..Through My Eyes
                                by Raptor
                                I gotta tell ya, this game will be exciting, as have pretty much every past meeting between these two teams. Last years games were all out thrillers, both very close, undecided until the very end. This one and probably the next in your house will be the same.

Looking at last years games, either team could have won or lost both games. In Seattle, had the Rams not been called for defensive holding on that last drive, who knows if the Hawks would have scored to win. In St. Louis, if that ref didn't take Bobby E out on that play, who knows if he wouldn't have scored. I hate it when refs decide the outcome by the way...both games had defining plays defined by the stripes.

Back to this game...The way I see it.

The Rams need to change their defense up...allot. Show as many different looks as you can, blitz as much as humanly possible. Holmie doesn't seem to react very well, play-calling wise, when things are happening that he does not expect. A great example of this was the Tampa game. Holmie had to game plan for their defensive speed, but I think the amount of blitzing surprised him. The lack of ability to change the game plan due to what the defense was doing is a cause for concern. Holmie stuck to it, either through an inability to adapt to what was happening or a reluctance to stray from what he "knew" would work. The result was the worst offensive showing in the past three years. Moving around Little like you did last week is a good example something that I feel will cause the offense trouble.

Offensively, you guys are still very tough. You can never discount your playmakers on any play. While I sometimes question the split-second decisions Bulger makes, he still has the skills and the smarts to hurt any defense. Our D needs to play fast, as fast as they did against the Saints and SF. The D line can't give Bulger any time, they need to harass him all day. They have the ability to do so, but while your O line is not what it was, they are still good enough to make this task difficult. We need Simmons to shadow Faulk in everything he does, we can't let you get anything going on the ground. Another concern is the LB's ability to cover your TE's, this could be pivotal. There will be a give and take in regards to the WR - DB match ups, I think we see big plays by both sides.

I feel this will be a shoot-out guys, maybe even down to the last team who has the ball winning the game. The Hawk (I'll never call it qwest field) is different place since the last time you were here, but considering how wishy-washy Seattle fans can be, a few big plays to start the game could take the wind right out of them.

There is allot about this game to be concerned about, but one thing is for sure...it will be exciting.

Just Win Blue.
                                Raptor aka Blitzfan
                                -10-09-2004, 02:06 PM
                              Working...
                              X