• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martz on the Mike

Head Coach Mike Martz
    Tuesday, September 21, 2004

(Opening comments)
    “Obviously we are disappointed with the game yesterday. I think that they got us on our heels in all three phases. On the road, this team needs to learn to fight back. I think we did that and got the game back to 17-17, then we just did not make a play on the reverse and a couple of other things happened offensively, and we didn’t finish this thing the way you would like to see it. There are some lessons to be learned from this game. We have gone through a lot of things with our players today. There were a lot of mistakes in this game. More mistakes than we would’ve thought. We prepared well, and again, in that environment, we just didn’t see it on the field. We just need to put this one to bed, learn from it, and get ready for the Saints.”

(On responding to a loss)
    “We have been in so many of these games in the last five or six years, that our veterans, Isaac (Bruce), Torry, (Holt), and Marshall (Faulk), know how to respond. What’s happened, has happened. Now you just have to go back and make the corrections. We understand what we need to do this week to get it done, now the process begins.”

(On giving up a score after tying the game)
    “I felt we were in positions to make plays, and didn’t do it. We had some penalties. This was problematic throughout the game. Whether it’s a face mask penalty or a false start, you just can’t have those, particularly in critical times. And we made mistakes at critical times that you just can’t make. When the game is that close, and there is a play there to be made, you just have to make that play. When we needed to make a play, we couldn’t make it. You need to learn from that. There are a lot of things that need to straighten out.

(On playing on the road)
    “I think that a young team like this, particularly on defense, where we have a lot of young players, have not had that kind of adversity. When you get down like that, you cannot panic and you just have to stay focused, and know how to respond. You need to teach them how to respond. They need to learn that lesson. On the sideline, it was real good when we were on our way back to tying that game up. We just need to finish it at that point. And again, making plays that are critical in the game, that’s the most critical game of the year right there. At that point you need to step up and make those plays.”

(On stopping the run)
    “A lot of those two-back runs were at the end of the game were, obviously, a let down. Before that they were averaging about three yards a rush. Their two-back run against the defense was, below what you would want as a football team. Vick, that whole situation, really hurt us. They did a nice job of changing up what they do and getting (Vick) out to the perimeter and challenging us out there. We made a couple of changes at half-time, and we were able to get that sack.”

(On the Rams’ running game)
    “Initially, we just stammered around out there. We gave up too many sacks, obviously, but when you look at our first few possessions, just the penalties. You can’t start first-and-20, first-and-10 all of the time. We had not done that in the past three or four weeks, we’ve been pretty good with that. That’s a focus to get that done. All those things need to get cleaned up. Coming out of our own end zone, we had a penalty on the kickoff return, that’s unnecessary. Then we went into a little bit of a panic, offensively, and put ourselves in a whole. It’s more about us, I think. They are a good team. They made plays when they had to. Jim (Mora) did a good job with this football team, getting them ready to play. You have to give them their due. But by the same token, so many of our problems are created by ourselves. We can fix that, and we can do something with that. If we were a bad football team, it would be different.”

(On getting stopped on third-and-inches)
    “Had we not lost a yard or two on that play, we would’ve gone for it on fourth down. But it became fourth-and-two, or fourth-and-three, and at that point you need to tie it up. I was surprised (we got stopped). I thought we had a real good shot at it. The last third-and-inches we had, they covered all three down lineman, and put the two linebackers in, and I was aware of that, and that’s why we didn’t (do a quarterback sneaks). That situation they didn’t do it, but the time before they did.”

(On RB Steven Jackson’s penalty on the kickoff return)
    “I guess he just (flipped the ball at an Atlanta player) without thinking. He’s upset. You just have to have better controls of your emotions. You just do. We’ve obviously addressed that.”

(On if the kickoff return game can be improved)
    “I think so. We are addressing that. We are really close on a couple of those. We’ve got a lot of new guys back there. With Steven (Jackson) back there, he has not done it in a while, but we will get that going. I feel pretty good about that. I just feel like he is such a good open field runner, and he sees things so well, that we will get good field position out of it. But again, we can’t have a penalty on a good return and have an opportunity to start on the 25-or-30 yard line, then end up backed up. This is a discipline situation. This is one of the very few times in my career that we practiced well, and didn’t play well. A lot of that has to do with getting down early.”

(On challenging the on-side kick)
    “(The challenge) came from somewhere on the sideline. It came through my headset, “Challenge it, challenge it.” One of those things, that’s it, (On the other challege) I was watching Isaac coming out of our endzone. I felt like we were either going to get a (pass interference) or connect on it. That was a play that we practiced on Friday, just for that situation. They gave us exactly what we practiced and I felt good about it. So I was watching Isaac, and I looked up and there was a touchdown. I couldn’t figure out what happened. I was under the impression that it was a fumble that was picked up and scored. In the confusion, everyone was saying that (Bulger’s) arm was going forward.”

(On LB Tommy Polley)
    “He has a fractured rib. It’s not a bruise. So that’s pretty painful. As he mends, and gets better, he will continue to get more and more involved each week with the defense.”

(On the defense not creating turnovers)
    “It’s a concern. Like I said last night, when you have a guy like (Michael) Vick running around back there, it’s hard just to get to him to tackle, let alone take the ball from him. So that’s hard. I don’t think we had a lot of snaps and defense in the opener. That’ll come I think. We work on it. I think we are all disappointed we don’t have some. But you just keep working at it. I know we work on the strip drill all of the time, and the picks will come as people start to throw the ball down field a little

Re: Martz on the Mike

“(The challenge) came from somewhere on the sideline. It came through my headset, “Challenge it, challenge it.” One of those things, that’s it, (On the other challege) I was watching Isaac coming out of our endzone. I felt like we were either going to get a (pass interference) or connect on it. That was a play that we practiced on Friday, just for that situation. They gave us exactly what we practiced and I felt good about it. So I was watching Isaac, and I looked up and there was a touchdown. I couldn’t figure out what happened. I was under the impression that it was a fumble that was picked up and scored. In the confusion, everyone was saying that (Bulger’s) arm was going forward.”
    Good. Now, can everyone stop whining about this? It wasn't Martz's fault. It's not like he watches the game on TV.

Comment

Re: Martz on the Mike

Originally posted by Evil Disco Man
      Good. Now, can everyone stop whining about this? It wasn't Martz's fault. It's not like he watches the game on TV.
      Was it really necessary to single out this Martzian quote? Now my brain hurts again.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
        Martz: 'We have to fix some things'
        by Nick
        Martz: 'We have to fix some things'
        BY JEFF GORDON
        STLtoday.com Sports
        09/20/2004

Rams coach Mike Martz still expects big things from his football team.

But after that 34-17 loss in Atlanta, Martz said there will be plenty of work to do at Rams Park.

"We have some things to clean up," Martz said. "That stuff doesn't happen overnight. But we're going to end up being a real good team.

"But we have to fix some things, no question about it."

Here are some other highlights of his Q & A session with reporters:

On what went wrong in Atlanta:

"They got us on our heels on all three phases of the game, and on the road, this team needs to learn to fight back. I thought that we did that, getting the game back to a 17-17 position. Then we did not make a play on a reverse and a couple of other things happened offensively. We did not finish this thing the way you would like to see us do it. There are some lessons to be learned from this.

"There were a lot of mistakes in this game, more mistakes than we would have thought. I think our players did prepare well. Again, in that environment, we just didn't see it on the field.

"This is one of the few times in my career that we practiced very well and did not play well. A lot of it has to do with getting down early and not responding well as a football team."

"Coming out of our own end zone, we have a penalty on a kickoff return that's unnecessary. We get into a little bit of a panic offensively, you know, and put ourselves in a hole.

"A young team like this, particularly on defense, a lot of the young players have not had that kind of adversity. When you get down like that, you cannot panic . . . you just have to stay focused, know how to respond. You teach them to respond. That's where we are with this.

"What's happened has happened. Now you have to go back and make the corrections. We understand what we need to do this week to get it done. Now the process begins."

On why the game went south:

"We were in position to make a play and didn't do it. We had some penalties . . . this was problematic throughout the game, whether it was a facemask penalty or false start or all those things. We just can't have those, particularly at critical times. We made mistakes at critical times that you just can't make.

"When the game is that close and there is a play that's there to be made, you have to make that play. In those three phases of the game, when we had to make a play, we couldn't. They need to learn from that. There are a lot of things that need to be straightened out."

On the struggles against the run:

"A lot of those two-back runs were...
        -09-20-2004, 08:19 PM
      • RamWraith
        Martz finally speaks out!!!
        by RamWraith
        Martz lashes out at players

By Jeff Gordon
        STLtoday.com Sports
        11/08/2004
        Rams coach Mike Martz is tired of taking the fall for poor player performance.

So "Mad Mike" was "Really Angry Mike" on Monday – and he said as much during his news conference at Rams Park.

“This is my fifth year doing this,” Martz said. “I’ve never tried to mislead you, sugar-coat anything. If I’ve screwed something up, I’ll tell you. I try to take a bullet whenever I can for somebody to help them.

"There comes a time when some of these guys just have to play. They just have to play.

“Players make plays. That’s the way it is. That’s not a cop-out or brushing it off on guys. I’m upset. We’ve got some guys we’re counting on, they have to step up. That’s the way it is.”

Here are some other highlights of his heated chat with reporters:

On his team’s sloppy play against the Patriots:

“That’s a good football team, they played very well. The mistakes we made in that game we obviously can’t do against a good football team. The fumbled punt . . . the fake field goal, obviously, the fumble before the half ends up being a six-point swing, potentially . . . those are the kinds of things that put the defense on a short field.

“The intensity was good, but we did not play well in certain areas. Those are things we have to rectify. We met today and made some changes. We kind of understand what needs to be done at this point; now it’s a question of getting it done.”

On what changes may be made:

“We understand what our problems are, what we need to address. There may be some personnel changes. Just a couple things we have to address. There are things we can do. The problem is not real hard to identify. The solution is hard. I’m confident we will get that done.

“There are some things that rose up in this game that I didn’t believe were problems in the past. There are some areas that we’ve played very well in that we did not play very well in (Sunday). The consistency is what we need out of the guys.”

On what went wrong on the Patriots’ fake field goal:

“We practiced that all week, the exact same thing, several times. Walked through it, talked about it, ran it. What had happened is they had lined up quickly, we were going onto the field, the two corners decided they were going to switch. One corner had a sore shoulder. As they were switching, (the Patriots) got the pass off.

“It’s one of those things. They recognized it, but they were caught in the middle of changing over. It ended up becoming a comedy of errors, really, more than anything else. The smart thing to do would have been to call time out. We recognized it . . . call a timeout is what you would have liked to do against the fake...
        -11-08-2004, 05:05 PM
      • RamWraith
        Martz on the Mike
        by RamWraith
        Head Coach Mike Martz
        Tuesday, October 12, 2004

(Opening statement)
        “Obviously this is a terrific win for this football team and organization. It means a lot in many respects. We are getting better, they did not get disillusioned. There were a lot of young players that learned how to compete, and stay in it. We had some players show up in this game that made plays to help us win this game. Guys like (Shaun) McDonald, Kevin Curtis, of course Brandon (Manumaleuna) with his touchdown catch, and Steven Jackson. DeJuan Groce came in and just did an outstanding job. We’re making progress, and we’re getting better. I know the first half didn’t turn come out the way any of us wanted, but they didn’t give up. When we went in at halftime, it was what we needed to do, it’s a step-by-step process, and here’s how we need to go about it, and they weren’t discouraged, and of course they were able to get the job done. I was very happy and pleased with the effort and how hard they played in the second half. When we had to make a play, somebody made a play. I was very pleased with the effort of the offensive line, particularly Grant Williams in the second half. He gave up a sack in the first half, and a rush on that side, but he came back in the second half and was outstanding on the right side. He was a major reason that Marc (Bulger) was able to move around and make some of the throws that he did. It was a great effort overall as a football team. I though special teams was very solid, the punt return was huge, and I though we covered their kickoffs very well. It was just a solid effort on the kickoff returns. It was Sean Landeta’s best effort so far, in my opinion, in terms of punting the ball. He had great hang time and distance, and there was only one return. Second half, we just need to continue from there, and continue to build. Offensive player of the game, although he had three interceptions, is Marc Bulger. To have three interceptions and to come back and compete and to play at the level that he did, and make those kinds of plays under pressure, is clearly a statement about not just what type of person he is, but the incredible player that he is. Special teams wise, Eric Flowers, four tackles on special teams, just an incredible job. Just a special mention for Trev Faulk again, he had three (tackles). Our defensive player of the game, Tommy Polley, with 10 tackles and a pass broken up. Just a great comeback by Tommy, he was out with a fractured rib, and did a great job coming back and making his presence felt on this football team. All in all obviously it was a terrific win for us, but as all games at this point, we have to have a short memory and get ready for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers here on Monday night.”

(On Seattle’s defense on third down)
        “They changed quite a bit on third downs. They changed every third down. One was pressure, one was two, one was four, one was man, they changed everything. It all...
        -10-13-2004, 05:26 AM
      • RamWraith
        Post-game quotes
        by RamWraith
        Head Coach Jim Haslett

(On injuries)
        “The only injury we had was G Richie Incognito, he got light headed right before the half and the doctors wouldn’t clear him to go back in. We moved T John Greco over and went with John the rest of the way.”

(On the game)
        “Obviously, this was not the result we wanted, so I am disappointed from the standpoint. I felt we played hard. I appreciate those guys like RB Steven Jackson going out there and giving everything he had, T Orlando Pace who really had a two to four week injury and DL Adam Carriker. We have a bunch of guys who are beat up with nicks and bruises. You can hang your hat on one thing, those guys went out and competed and fought through all of the adversary and injuries that they had.”

(On RB Steven Jackson having only one touch during the fourth quarter)
        “He was gassed and his leg started to bother him, so we told him before the game to go as far as you could go and then we will play the other guys.

I appreciate Steven getting out there under the conditions; he hasn’t done much in the past month. To go out there and carry the ball in which I thought he was very effective in running the ball, but in a game like situation he just hasn’t had anything for a while.”

(On Jackson’s play shows he is a “difference maker”)
        “It is a big reminder. We have said it before; during some games if we had him we might have won the game. He is a heck of a football player, when you loose a guy like him it is hard to replace him.”

(On LB David Vobora)
        “It is hard to tell, but I think he did ok. He had good instincts and good position and he is a good leader. There are a couple of plays that I can pick out that he did very well with. I am sure that if I look at the film I will find something. For a guy in his first start and a seventh-round draft pick I thought he did fairly well. “

(On interceptions)
        “The picks didn’t really hurt us, defense did a great job. After the first pick they got nothing, after the second pick they got a field goal, and the third pick was at the end of the game. Obviously, three interceptions is three interceptions. Our problem is that we have to score touchdowns, as an offense we haven’t scored any touchdowns. We didn’t score this week, we didn’t score last week and it has been that way all year in the red zone. We just are just not getting the job done. I am not sure what the answer is, we will keep researching and trying to get it done. We are not really good right now in the red zone. You are not going to win kicking field goals in this league, you have to score touchdowns.

QB Marc Bulger

(On the loss)
        “We find ways to lose. We hung in there the first half. We got that corrected, which is good. We played good in all phases at some points, but we struggled at others.”

(On RB Steven Jackson being...
        -11-30-2008, 06:48 PM
      • RamDez
        Head Coach Mike Martz
        by RamDez
        Head Coach Mike Martz
        Friday, September 3, 2004

(Opening comments)
        “We came out of the game, physically, in good shape. We have a slight knee strain with Erik Jensen and a very minor ankle sprain with Cam Cleeland. So other than that we came out of the game clean. There were a lot of good things in this game. We were able to evaluate personnel for a long period of time, particularly on defense. On offense there was some pleasant surprises. I’m very pleased with being able to evaluate and where this team is. Some of these guys, hopefully, now can contribute during the season.”

(On RB Lamar Gordon)
        “That is the first time he has been hit, or put pads on, in four weeks. To go in and take the ball like he did, and he took some horrendous hits out there on the edge, then jumped, turned, twisted, and stayed in the game. I was very impressed with his toughness. The burst that he had, the acceleration he showed right before the touchdown run, to get it down to the one-or-two yard line. I was very pleased with Lamar. I told him (we were going to play him a lot). I know the conditioning aspect, because he has not been hit in four weeks, and that’s a big deal now. But the more we played him, the better he played. He got dinged there a little bit and came out briefly, but went back in, which is important. I was very impressed with him.”

(On if WR Torry Holt’s back spasms are of concern)
        “No I don’t think so. We didn’t plan on playing he or Isaac (Bruce) more than a few plays anyway. And the other guys need to play. (WR Shaun) McDonald has to play a whole game. Mike Furrey needs to play. The only issue at wide receiver is, that he still has shin splints, is (WR Kevin Curtis). We did try to play him as little as possible, but he did need to play a little bit and he was able to make a couple of big plays in that game. We will try to keep him quiet for a while on those legs, and see if we can’t get that thing to calm down a little bit. Anybody who has had shin splints knows how painful they are. The only way to get rid of them is to rest them. So we will try to manage them as best we can.”

(On how he feels about the team at this point)
        “I feel good about where we are. The areas that we wanted to get better, running the football, we made a big emphasis of that in the last few games, as you could see. Regardless of who was in the game, we wanted to run the football. I think it sets a mentality for the offensive line and the backs. I was very pleased with the way we have run the ball the past few weeks. It didn’t make a difference who was in there. I’m very excited about the play of the quarterbacks. I’m very excited about the play of the linebackers and how the defensive line is starting to come together. We’ve got some issues in the secondary because of injuries. We need DeJuan Groce back, obviously. He’ll be back this week. Losing (CB Travis)...
        -09-05-2004, 05:00 AM
      Working...
      X