Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bernie bits

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Bernie bits

    BernieM wrote:
    Marmie wasn't the most exciting choice as DC; Martz should have hired Dick Jauron instead.

    But two things:

    1. People around the NFL respect Marmie, recognizing that he didn't have much talent to work with in Arizona. They saw on film that he got his guys to play hard.

    2. I commented on this BEFORE the season and it holds true now. I don't see how Marmie can be faulted at this point because he inherited a defense that has no run stoppers at DT, and undersized crew of LBs, and one legitimate NFL cornerback in J. Butler. (I don't count A. Williams because he plays safety and will likely stay there). The defense he inherited lost Wistrom and Young and then lost T. Fisher.

    Marmie has to make it better the best that he can. But in the last seven games of 04', including the playoff game, this defense gave up an average of 5.4 yards per rush. And it hasn't been any better the first two games this season. That's a fatal flaw. Better personnel is the only real solution. I want to see if Marmie will get his guys to play hard every week. First week, yes. Second week, disappointing.

    Cheers,
    Bernie

    BernieM wrote:
    About Pace ...

    Pace's game was beneath his usual standards, which is to say he wasn't great, but he graded out highest among the Rams' linemen. (which isn't saying a lot). It's interesting because after reading the initial flurry of Pace-hostile posts here, I expected to go watch the tapes and see him beaten all day, manhandled, blowing assignments, etc.

    In that context I was surprised by his performance, because it wasn't nearly as bad as advertised here. On the biggest play of the game I expected to see him getting bulled over or beaten straight up, and it didn't happen that way. Brady Smith got a terrific jump on the ball, and Pace had to scurry to get his feet moving. He managed to push Smith out a bit, but not enough. Smith didn't get a full-on clean shot on the QB but he made a fantastic play, swiping the ball loose. That said, it was Pace's responsibility and in scoring that play, Smith obviously got the win. Bulger could have helped by sliding to his left, but didn't. He couldn't step up, because the Falcons got inside penetration, as they did all day in overhwheling the Gs and C. Bulger, however, stood in place. Pace didn't quite steer his guy out of harm's way. Smith won.

    Pace had a holding penalty that didn't have consequences because the Rams went on to score a TD. One time he had Kearney who surged and dived to get a piece of Bulger, but only after another Falcon got there first. Pace made some terrific blocks in that game, including a blitz pickup on a 23-yard completion to Holt. But I don't see the need to get into all that detail, because I'm not looking to convert anyone here. Believe as you wish.

    For whatever Pace's flaws were, I don't see why people jump to the conclusion that missing camp was the reason. He's in terrific shape. The whole line sucked; the rest of the guys were in camp....so why didn't they play better? If camp is the reason why a guy plays good or bad, then why did those who were in camp the entire time play so poorly? If "cohesion" was bad in this game -- because Pace missed camp -- then why was the "cohesion" so excellent in the first game, when Pace went into it with about four practices under his belt? By the time he took the field with Atlanta, he had about 8 or 9 practices -- and many meetings -- with his linemates. So how could the cohesion be worse than the first week considering that he had two weeks of preparation for the second game compared to less than a week for the first game? It doesn't make much sense.

    Cheers,
    Bernie

    BernieM wrote:
    Yes, I agree with you two.... the defense seemed shocked that Vick would run so much in this game (imagine that). Marmie didn't have them prepped for it. Either that, or they played an undisciplined game.

    Cheers,
    Bernie

    BernieM wrote:
    I forgot to add one thing...

    I thought the blocking scheme was unusual for this game. On a lot of running plays, the line took wider splits. I guess they assumed that the run blitzes would come from the outside, when most of them came from the inside. Pace was blocking down a lot -- pushing to his right -- which allowed Smith to come free, or take on a TE, and the Rams don't have a TE who can block in space. I really question the strategy.

    Cheers,
    Bernie


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    BernieM wrote:
    Responses:

    Actually many of you write quite well. Doesn't mean I agree with what you say, but I respect a person's talent in communicating.

    More on Pace: Can't have it both ways, fellas. Can't say missing training camp is why he had a below-standard game when the people who had all of training camp were arguably the worst players in a Rams uniform on Sunday in ATL. Sorry.

    SLUBLUE: Thanks for your opinion. And I think that I'm right to defend Pace, just as I would defend any free man's right to seek a desired contract under a collective-bargaining agreement. Especially in the NFL, where everyone is getting rich, and owners pick up their franchises and move halfway across the nation for bigger profits. This isn't the NHL, where there are clear, devastating financial problems.

    And I also think I criticize Martz when warranted; but I've come to understand how people have selective memories on what I write based on their agendas. And I have also come to understand that to some of you, nothing short of me demanding that Martz be castrated would meet your criteria for "criticism." You all can hate. I'll stick to constructive, warranted criticism.

    Cheers,
    Bernie

    On St. Louis Cardinals:
    BernieM wrote:
    The 1985 team was polluted with drug users and as much as I like Hanifan personally, he lost control of the team. Things were so bad in there that players actually had cash and watches stolen by another player during practice. A change had to be made. Stallings if nothing else, cleaned that place up.

    Cheers,
    Bernie

    BernieM wrote:
    DV....hard to say about him. He was so emotionally spent after the 1999 season. But I think he would have returned if he lost that Super Bowl....and dang, that was a close call. That game really went against the Rams in the second half. If Fisher's offensive coaches had called a better game -- pound the Rams on the ground all day instead of waiting for the 2nd half -- Tennessee wins, I believe. Just my opinion.

    Cheers,
    Bernie

    On Gordon trade:
    BernieM wrote:
    The Rams had the Dolphins cornered.

    I would have been happy had they just gotten some protection....another pick thrown in if he reached certain performance levels.

    They were really out to lunch, not asking for that.

    If you felt so strongly about Miami's offensive line, then I'm not sure why you would ask me to comment on LG's performance, because anyone who knows football could see what happened on Sunday night. And no intelligent football fan would blame the RB -- other than to agree that he needs to try and be more assertive, because the big holes aren't there.

    Cheers,
    Bernie

Related Topics

Collapse

  • RamWraith
    The Bernie Bits
    by RamWraith
    I hope Pace has fired the Postons.

    I'm not sure what glue " Ice " has been sniffing, but I've never liked the Postons and have never said they were right.

    I just defend any player's right to try and pursue a contract that he thinks is best for him -- as long as he isn't violating an existing contract.

    Cheers,
    Bernie

    BernieM wrote:
    I've ripped hater fans who, for one, kept falsely accusing Pace of "holding out" when he did nothing of the sort. These yahoos don't even understand the NFL economic system.

    Pace had every right to employ the Postons. I don't have to agree with him, but I'm not going to hate on him because of his choice.

    And as I have said, it takes two to make a deal. The Rams haven't exactly been aggressive in trying to make a deal with Pace.

    Pace came out yesterday and in Martz's evaluation played the best game of his NFL career. All of this hand-wringing over training camp was much to do about nothing.

    Pace is here, he's kicking butt, he's in the best shape of his career and his teammates support him 100 percent.

    The yahoos are just going to have to get over it.

    Cheers,
    Bernie

    BernieM wrote:
    Martz's play-calling in the red zone was disappointing.

    But his team had 448 yards, so I'd conclude that he called some good plays along the way.

    I think the many quick slants, for example, where the perfect counter to Arizona's blitzes. He sniffed out their tactics pretty well.

    Cheers,
    Bernie

    BernieM wrote:
    How could anyone be ashamed of a team that had Marshall Faulk running like the old days, an offensive line blocking with great precision and intensity, and Isaac Bruce making the tough catches and taking a beating? How could anyone be ashamed of a defense that had guys running out to get dislocated body parts popped back into place, then running back in to finish the game?

    I'm telling you, this stuff is irrational.

    If anyone wants to criticize the red-zone execution and play calling, that's fair game. Plenty to take question, there.

    But for anyone to question the effort and intensity and say they're embarrassed to be a Rams fan....that's looney-tunes.

    Cheers,

    Bernie

    BernieM wrote:
    I hope Martz coaches here a long time.

    Two reasons:

    1. I like it when the local teams are successful; makes my job more fun.
    2. Never a dull moment with this guy; he's a lightning rod. And that makes for great entertainment.

    I think the hatred of Martz is really funny. I used to get worked up about it, but now I just roll with it. It just amazes me how bad some people have it for this guy. It's an infatuation.

    I wonder if...
    -09-13-2004, 05:32 PM
  • RamWraith
    The Bernie bits
    by RamWraith
    BernieM wrote:
    Pace Haters,

    I''m covering baseball today and wasn't in Atlanta. I TiVoed the Rams game and will look at it later.

    Better yet, I'll watch a copy of the coach's film this week at Rams Park and take a look at the O-line play, including Pace.

    If he played bad, then he played bad. We'll see.

    But I surely have no intention of trusting the word of Haters. I'll see for myself.

    Funny how the Haters were so silent after last week's game.They were waiting until it was safe to rip him.

    Cheers.
    Bernie

    BernieM wrote:
    Actually, I want to thank you guys for brightening my day.

    Seriously.

    The Cardinals baseball game was kind of dull. I wasn't in a particularlyy good mood. I was in the press-room area at Busch, watching a little of the Rams game -- literally one series. The Rams O-line was having a rough time of it. Grant Williams and Chris Dishman missed blocks. I didn't see any Pace mistakes -- and I'm not saying he didn't make any; just not during the small part of the game I saw (so far).

    But I joked with my colleagues....I said, "You wait, all of this will be blamed on Pace. No matter what happens, it'll be Pace's fault. It'll be fun to see it on my forum and e-mails."

    Sure enough....you guys are too good to be true. Thanks for the smile.

    Cheers,
    Bernie

    On Pace:
    BernieM wrote:
    Bertrand Berry is a good NFL defensive end.

    How many sacks did he have last season?

    Cheers,
    Bernie

    BernieM wrote:
    I predicted 8-8, or 9-7 if things went well.

    I also predicted that they'd lose today -- and in fact, was right on target about how it would happen. I wrote that Vick would have a break-out game.

    So I'm not sure why some of you are freaking out and acting like this loss today was some sort of unpredictable, unforseen disaster. Especially considering that the Rams defense hasn't stopped a running game for the last nine games, including the playoff loss to Carolina. They're giving up an average of just under 6 yards a carry in that stretch. Until they correct that -- if they can -- there will be some long Sundays.

    It's the NFL. Green Bay goes to Carolina and whips the NFC Super Bowl team, and then comes home and gets wiped up at Lambeau by the freaking Bears.

    Detroit is 2-0.

    Kansas City is 0-2.

    Denver goes to Jacksonville and scores what, 6 points?

    Take a deep breath. As I wrote before the season, the Rams have experienced a talent drain. They're trying to make up for that on the fly. There will be some rough moments this season.

    Again, it's truly bizarre -- the way St. Louis football fans have no perspective on this league and its ebb and flow,...
    -09-20-2004, 12:11 PM
  • Nick
    Multiple Bernie
    by Nick
    Compiled and Posted By RubberSoul on the PD Board

    Post subject: Bernie Bits

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    BernieM wrote:
    And how exactly did you arrive to the conclusion that Arizona wanted to win the game more?

    One team had 448 yards; the other 260.
    One team had 27 first downs, the other 14.
    One team forced eight punts; the other team forced three.

    Rams turnovers were the reason why the game was close. Steven Jackson fumbled....was it because of a lack of desire? .... Bulger threw an INT; was it because he didn't want to win? Looker got hit and fumbled; was it because he didn't care?

    Did you see the Rams defense? All three times after the Rams offense turned the ball over, they forced Arizona off the field in three plays....after the long kickoff return to the STL 29-yard line, the Rams defense forced AZ to settle for a field goal. In the fourth quarter, protecting a 7-point lead, the Rams defense held three different times and forced punts. Is that not a show of character, heart, whatever you want to call it?

    What about the Rams offensive line? Rams RBs averaged 5.9 yards per carry; no sacks were allowed. Did the Rams' offensive line lay down and play lethargically? If so, back it up.

    Rams LB Pisa Tinoisimoa suffered a dislocated shoulder and had to leave the game...the docs popped it back in place, put the shoulder in a harness, and he returned to play....he was in a tremendous amount of pain. But he played on. CB Jerametrius Butler dislocated a couple of fingers, had them popped back into place, and played the rest of the way....yeah, the Rams really dogged it.

    I'm just looking for some evidence to support the accusation that the Cardinals cared more about winning than the Rams.

    Cheers,
    Bernie




    On spoiled fans:
    BernieM wrote:
    It's really pathetic.

    These fans -- not the loyal and discerning fans who offer constructive and on-point criticism, but the chronic and mindless whiners -- deserve to have a 4-12 team.

    Cheers,
    Bernie




    BernieM wrote:
    Bulger's problem today was his failure to check down to Faulk on three key occasions; two in the red zone; he forced throws instead.

    Cheers,
    Bernie




    On Pace Firing Postons:
    BernieM wrote:
    Pace denied that after the game.

    Too bad.

    I think his life would be less complicated without the Postons.

    Cheers,
    Bernie





    On Pace:
    BernieM wrote:
    Gee, he really stunk it up today, didn't he?

    The Rams averaged only 5.9 yards per rushing...
    -09-12-2004, 09:45 PM
  • Nick
    Bernie on Various Things
    by Nick
    Post subject: Rams make MORE moves, other notes, (9-9)

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The Rams re-signed S Justin Lucas and added FB Stephen Trejo.


    S Zack Bronson was placed on IR.

    They released TE Mike Brake.

    Lucas spent the offseason and preseason with the Rams before being released on Sunday.

    Trejo, 6-2, 250, spent the last 3 years with the Detroit Lions, appearing in 46 games. He's an Arizona State guy and played LB next to Adam Archuleta there and was switched to FB by the Lions.

    Bronson hurt his left ankle during Wednesday's practice and will miss the entire season. He had a history of injuries before signing with the Rams.

    Brake is an undrafted rookie free agent from Akron who spent the entire preseason with the Rams.

    Cheers,
    Bernie


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Some follow-ups:

    If Bronson had a split contract, he'll be paid around $300-320 thousand this season. If it isn't a split contract, he'll be paid about $660 thousand.

    Two TEs, Manu and Cleeland. Trejo is a FB, H-back type but I don't know what he's capable of doing this week. Martz said Armey has been eyeing Trejo for quite some time and had him noted as someone they should grab if they ever get the chance.

    Bronson will have ankle surgery.

    Also, on Pace. Martz said Pace is in the best shape of his career. "He's quick, physical. He strikes. There's nothing slow or sluggish about him. It's obvious he's spent a lot of time on his conditioning. He was very serious about it. And it's much appreciated."

    Holt practiced today. Looks good.

    Cheers,
    Bernie


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The Rams as we speak are about $3 million under the cap.
    They have money to do a deal with Pace....and can probably save cap space by doing so.

    Archuleta or Pace?

    They can sign both.

    But if it would come down to a decision between the two of them, it's no contest.

    Talk to me when Archuleta makes it to his first Pro Bowl.

    Cheers,
    Bernie


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    What did Pace get by not coming to camp?

    First of all, let's correct something. HE DID NOT HOLD OUT. He was under no obligation to report.

    OK, so what benefit did he realize by not coming to camp.

    Let's see....

    Maybe you'd like to ask Travis Fisher that question, or David Boston, or Anquan Boldin, or...
    -09-09-2004, 06:36 PM
  • Nick
    Some Bernie
    by Nick
    Post subject: Bernie, Larry Marmies D looks just like Deadbirds D

    I'm waiting for Kollar to develop a No. 1 draft choice who plays at an above-average level in the NFL.

    The TV-radio boys like him because he hollers on the field and provides good sound. How wonderful.

    I can't judge Marmie yet ... he didn't draft these players (underachieving DTS, undersized LBs, shortage of quality CBs) and he hasn't coached them for very long.

    I came across something this week that I almost used in Saturday's "Bits" but didn't. Clark Judge of CBS Sportsline wrote of Marmie:

    “The defense is in good hands with Marmie. He never gained the attention he should have in Arizona when his defenses played well despite a succession of injuries that robbed them of some of their top players. Marmie has to replace his best cornerback, Travis Fisher, but he has been down this road before. At Arizona in 2001, he lost two Pro Bowl players, including cornerback Aeneas Williams, and five linemen en route to starting 14 different combinations, yet his defense improved in almost every area -- including points -- from the previous year.”

    Cheers,
    Bernie

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    Post subject: Did Martz really not know the score in the final 38 seconds?

    I give him or anyone else credit for being awake at that hour at the end of a (yawn) meaningless preseason game.

    I jump on Martz when he screws up reg-season, post-season games.

    Preseason: I don't care.

    Cheers


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Post subject: Rams RB situation


    Jackson is an exciting talent.
    Lamar Gordon looked very good as well in Oakland.
    This is the best receiving corps they've ever had in STL.

    O-line? Still concerned.
    D-line? Don't trust it.
    LB: a little undersized; too many mistakes (still).
    CB: not enough. One guy who has proven he can cover an NFL WR.

    Cheers,
    Bernie
    -09-03-2004, 04:20 PM
Working...
X