X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rambos
    • May 2004

Which is our best unit?

At this point in the offseason, which side of the ball do you think is the best.
    Offense
    61.54%
    Defense
    38.46%

The poll is expired.

• RockinRam
    • Apr 2008

Re: Which is our best unit?

I would have to say offense. Our defense is getting more solid, but without a number 2 corner, or a clear starter at SLB, I just can't say our defense is better than our offense at this point. Does our defense have a chance of being better than our offense coming out of the off-season? Definitely. With Spag's and Flajole's coaching, our defense could be a top unit.

But, the reason I said offense is because our o-line is looking really good right now, our receiving corps are filled with young guys trying to prove themselves, Steven Jackson who is hungry for wins, a solid fullback in Mike Karney, and a refreshed Bulger in a new scheme he can thrive in.

Comment

I think it's close, but I have to give the edge to the offense.

Comment

• BarronWade
        • Feb 2009

I am the 9th voter and after i voted it became Offense-5 Defense-4

Im surprised that it is slightly close.

Offensively of O-Line is strong. The back field is very strong with a question mark on Bulger. Our TE and Receivers are solid at the top then falll off.

Defensively there are many questions. Our line is solid right now with the potential to be great (the DTs must step up to be a good DL).

Linebacker is strong at the weak side but weak at the strong side James Lauriniatis is potentially good. But it is pretty solid overall.

There is one question in the secondary at 2nd CB. But overall our secondary is solid.

Comment

• schut39
          • Jul 2008

At this point, I would have to say our offense. There are too many holes that have yet to be filled on the defense to consider it solid. There is only one way to determine which is better, and that is to see them actually play. Can't wait for the season to start!

Comment

• general counsel
            • Jun 2005

I completely disagree with the assertion that the offensive line is strong and the question is bulger. The offensive line appears improved on paper (which mind you is a low bar) but i will believe it when i see it. We have a rookie starter and two guards who were underperformers all last year, along with a guy switching positions. I agree the line should be a lot better, but keep in mind that last year it was pathetic and pace is gone. Bulger will be fine if the line blocks and gives him time and if the young receivers run proper routes and make the adjustments. Like with all qbs, a strong running game will be bulgers best friend. Without that, he will struggle for sure and people will scream for the messiah and of course without a running game, the next guy wont do any better.

Our best unit? The answer is our punter donnie jones.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

• Rambos
              • May 2004

I went with the D. I think it is close, the tie breaker for me is the scheme that Spags will run. He definitely is adding players that fits what he wants to do.

Comment

• kman
                • Oct 2005

special teams....we have one of best kickers and punters... : )

Comment

• laram0
                  • Jul 2005

The big names are on the offensive side of the ball. (BULGER, JACKSON) With Al "700 page playbook" Saunders and Scott Linehan gone our offense will be improved. However they will be learning a new offense again.

Spags is a defensive master mind and with the help of Flajole and his history with Chris Draft and Will Witherspoon I will give a slight edge to the defense.
                  sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

• Ramblin` Ram
                    • Jan 2006

when i clicked on the thread i was thinking it would be things like Secondary,D-line,O-line,Lb`s etc..as the options...

if they were the options it would have been either the secondary or O-line...that would get my vote

Offense v Defense..i dunno...is a bit more of a tricky one..

Comment

• MauiRam
                      Rams Nation MVP
                      • May 2004

At this point in the offseason, I think it's a coin flip. I just hope we stay healthy on both sides of the ball going into the regular season. If Jason Smith can block effectively at the NFL level one might give the edge to the O, but there are too many "ifs" on both sides of the ball at this point. We apparently will be counting on a rookie to man the middle on D, so ... coin flip .....

Comment

• eldfan
                        • Sep 2004

I say the O but not by much SJ and improve O line and thee coach is going to be a run first guy should help Bulger. The D has more questiosn IMO.
                        :ramlogo:

Comment

• 39thebeast
                          • May 2007

I think the offense has more star power in S-Jax, Brown, Bulger, Smith and a bunch of young guys on the rise along with solid vets like McMichael, Karney, and Bell.

But, I think the defense is the better unit. I don't think the personal is nearly as good, but I think the scheme is better. If the front four plays well in this scheme im confident we will be close to the top half in defense. The secondary is currently our strong point with OJ, Bartell, and Butler and some young guys at corner. Spoon and Lauranatis will be good, draft should be solid with Culberson chipping in occasionally. IMO its all on the front four if our 2 high draft picks Long and Carriker finally realize there potential under Spags we will see an exponential difference in defense.

Comment

• Warner4prez

Defense. The only play maker on offense is Jackson, and he'll be running behind a shook up line, it normally takes some time for those guys to gel as a unit.
                            We've got a young and healthy secondary. Also a fairly young D-line with the exception of Little, and a coach that will supposedly utilize all of those guys.

Comment

• ManofGod
                              • Sep 2008

Well the answer if Special Teams but since that wasn't an option then the answer is Defense easy. We have several questions on offense but fewer on defense.

Comment