Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No faith in Bulger? Okay. Don't like Bulger? I don't get that.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No faith in Bulger? Okay. Don't like Bulger? I don't get that.

I can understand why some Rams fans may have lost faith in Marc Bulger. He certainly has not played well over the past two seasons, and there is no guarantee that he will regain the form that resulted in two Pro Bowl appearances.

What I don't get, though, is why some Rams fans have such a dislike for the guy.

In my book, you should dislike a player who is disruptive, who fails to give his all, who holds out unreasonably, or who has off-the-field incidents that impact the team.

When has Bulger ever been disruptive? At worst, he was caught in a sideline eye roll prompted by a coach who essentially lost the confidence of the whole team.

When has he failed to give his all? He has played hurt, and done so knowing that he would likely take several hits on the field.

When has he held out unreasonably? As I recall, he may have missed a day of camp when finalizing his last contract.

When has he had an off-the-field incident? As far as we know... never.

Maybe for some fans it is the fact that Bulger replaced Kurt Warner. But is that a reason to dislike the guy? He didn't do anything underhanded. He just played well and, when given the call to start, did his job. Others might fall back on the old "he's not fiery enough" or "he's not a leader." The thing is, every time a player is interviewed on the subject, they say Bulger is a leader, albeit a somewhat quiet one.

I don't know what "Act III" of Bulger's Rams career will look like. Maybe he'll rise to the top again and lead the Rams back to the playoffs. Maybe he's too far gone and will be replaced in the next year or two by a young QB.

Whatever happens, I think he deserves the respect and admiration of Rams fans. He's a guy who has always given a full effort and utilized the talents he possesses, often in difficult circumstances. He has done so while comporting himself as a model NFL citizen.

As fans, that might not be enough to make us say "that guy should not be replaced." It should, however, be more than enough for us to say "I respect the guy and appreciate what he's done for this team."

All too often, Bulger does not get that level of respect.

Re: No faith in Bulger? Okay. Don't like Bulger? I don't get that.

I respect him and appreciate his efforts through tough times. No, he has not always played up to expectations and he has struggled at times with injuries and with poor play, but most players go through difficult times in their careers.

I do think the QB position is one of the hardest to play since QBs are often the key position for the offense. QBs get the reward and punishment for the success or failure of the offense.

Taking over after Warner was let go has to be a big reason for fans dislike of him. Warner was/is a more apparent leader and he is comfortable talking to the press.
    sigpic

Comment

AV, I'm gonna throw this pebble at you and your ninety-six hundred posts. A leader dosen't eye-roll. Who was it ment for? I wasn't ment for us. It was ment for the sidlines. His teammates. Some leader. Lights out.

Despite the wrath on Linehan, I think SL was saying "damn your stats man, just throw the ball away". I suspact at the end Bugler and Torry were fragging Linehan. In that they may have saved us another year of this hell we're in, but they sold their souls to do it.
      Look away. I'm hideous. __ Cozmo Kramer

Comment

Originally posted by live4ramin View Post
        AV, I'm gonna throw this pebble at you and your ninety-six hundred posts. A leader dosen't eye-roll. Who was it ment for? I wasn't ment for us. It was ment for the sidlines. His teammates. Some leader. Lights out.
        Really? One moment and you're ready to put the "not a leader" label on him? I guess you never saw Dan Marino yelling at WRs and his coaches. Or, was he also "not a leader."

Despite the wrath on Linehan, I think SL was saying "damn your stats man, just throw the ball away". I suspact at the end Bugler and Torry were fragging Linehan. In that they may have saved us another year of this hell we're in, but they sold their souls to do it.
        You "think" and you "suspect," but you don't know.

Is it a good thing for a player to show disagreemnt with the HC on the sideline? No. But should a player be judged by an isolated incident and subjected to dislike because of it? Again, no.

Players are human. They get frustrated. If that results in a momentary lapse, that's one thing. If its continual, that's another. Bulger is no Terrell Owens or Chad Johnson (neither is Torry, for that matter).

Again... not a reason to dislike the guy, in my book.

Comment

You're really comparing Bulger to Marino? Bulger couldn't order toast without his voice breaking.

I "suspect" his teammates know he's a little turd and they also roll THEIR eyes, but I don't have the facts to prove it.

No I don't like Bulger. I lost respect for him. I'll never forgive him. He'll probably have a great season.
          Look away. I'm hideous. __ Cozmo Kramer

Comment

You're really comparing Bulger to Marino? Bulger couldn't order toast without his voice breaking.

I "suspect" his teammates know he's a little turd and they also roll THEIR eyes, but I don't have the facts to prove it.

No I don't like Bulger. I lost respect for him. I'll never forgive him. He'll probably have a great season.
            Thank you for that perfect illustration of my point.

Comment

I like Bulger. I think if the man got a line behind him and didn't get hit over 40 times in a season he might do well. Look what happened when he has a line to protect him. They actually went to the playoffs and prospered. Once the O-line decided to suck then so did the team. If you put Bulger behind a good line, we could be lookin at the playoffs.

Comment

A leader dosen't eye-roll.
                WHAT???!!! I have read a lot about great leaders, and I can't ever recall hearing that rule. In fact, I think I have known quite a few great leaders that knew how to use an eye roll as an expression of utter disbelief, which to me, best describes the Linehan offense.
                "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

I really lost a lot of faith in Marc after the Jets game, and I was calling for his head. I was ticked off and ready to blame our awfulness on one person. Naturally I blamed it on our QB. But I support our Rams, heck I'm even a fan of Richie, who would probably fit into your profile of someone not to like, but as long as they are Rams and not named Drew Bennet ;) then I'll support them.

Here's hoping Bulger returns to the level of play we know he can reach.

Comment

I've always liked Bulger. I didn't have a problem with him replacing Warner, because at the time, Bulger WAS the better player than Warner.

Now Warner is in Arizona lighting scoreboards up because he is on a better team. You can't make the comparison any more with the two players guys...

Bulger is our quarterback. I think it's only fair to give him one more year under this system and new coaching staff. If players around Bulger can stay healthy, he should have a pretty solid season. Am I saying playoffs? No.

Comment

I am not looking forward t the days of brock, walsh, rubley, banks etc.

Then we may come to realize where we are and where we could go.

We have done a good job of killing 2 qb's recently who may be the best 2 we have ever had.
                      I hate what the rams have done to qb's, but I wont hate bulger, even if he isn't marino. Not many are. Take a look at the last 50 qb's drafted, maybe the last 100. Not many of them ever are.
                      The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramblitz28 View Post
                        I like Bulger. I think if the man got a line behind him and didn't get hit over 40 times in a season he might do well. Look what happened when he has a line to protect him. They actually went to the playoffs and prospered. Once the O-line decided to suck then so did the team. If you put Bulger behind a good line, we could be lookin at the playoffs.
                        I agree completly. For all the bulger haters, perhaps you should learn what your talking about before you talk, the last few years we have been destroyed by injuries, bad coaching, as we'll as bad FO ( in my opinion). Bulger remains one of my fav football players. Him rolling his eyes is more composure then most of us would have. As was also shown with warner from NY to Az get good blocking and a QB can return to glory days that he had when "magiclly" he had good blocking.

Comment

Losing respect for Bulger because of an eye-roll? That's extremely comical ...

Look, fact is, people claim to "hate" Bulger because they cannot get over the fact that he's not Warner ...

Boy, I wonder what Bulger would have done running that offense that Warner did when it was in it's prime before the league figured it out?

The same people that talk about Bulger's lack of leadership skills, lack of accuracy, lack of composure, lack of arm strength, and overall lack of ability, were the same people talking about how cool, calm, and composed he was in leading the Rams to 16 4th quarter comebacks his first four years in the league. The same people talking about his laser accuracy, great intelligence, quick eyes, and great play making ability ...

How quick you forget?

But geez, like AV said, I never knew that subpar play was a reason to dislike or hate a guy. When it is all said and done, it's just a game. Bulger seems like a nice guy - I respect him on and off the field ...

Comment

With me it's more of a case of "what have you done for me lately?"

Bulger played really well when the talent around him was good. But when that talent got less Bulger started to struggle. So he is just not a very good re-building QB.

Also i dont like how when we gave him the big contract and he does not play up to that money.

Yea he did not have the protection but in some games last season Bulger lost trust in the OL and started rushing passes and inaccurately throwing the football. However this may not be the best way to grade this but i only got to see 3 games (vs. the Jets, Giants, and Dolphins). But if you look back at that game vs. the dolphins we had a chance to win that game when Bulger threw a pick (with average protection) and then threw inaccurately on a potential game winning drive.

I still have faith in Bulger but it is very little. It's not that i dont like Bulger i dont like his contract we could have gotten Mark Sanchez if it weren't for that.

Also i dont like how many are excited about Bulger going to a WCO. He is being put in an Offensive system that he has never learned before and he is coming off a few years where he has been sacked often and you expect him to comeback?

I have little faith that is telling that he will win comeback player of the year. But that is only little faith.

Comment

Originally posted by BarronWade View Post
                              Also i dont like how when we gave him the big contract and he does not play up to that money.
                              Oh, please. Do you think that:

(a) Bulger's play diminished because he was paid; or

(b) Bulger's play diminished because his O line was battered, his WR corps slowed down, and his top RB missed several games due to injuries.

Bulger has come back from injuries, arguably before he should have, AFTER he was paid. If he was a loafer, he could have sat back and collected his money. They guy wants to play and wants to win.

Also i dont like how many are excited about Bulger going to a WCO. He is being put in an Offensive system that he has never learned before and he is coming off a few years where he has been sacked often and you expect him to comeback?
                              Actually, the WCO generally is more O line friendly, as it does not involve as many seven step drops and slow-developing patterns as the old offense. As for Bulger "learning" the new offense, I think that is an oversated factor. At the end of the day (to paraphrase Bull Durham) its a simple game: you block for the QB, he passes the ball, the receiver catches it.

Comment