Martz Madness: 54 Passing plays, 14 Runs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martz Madness: 54 Passing plays, 14 Runs

The Saints came into this game giving up 170+ yards per game on the ground. So... what do the Rams do... at home... with Marshall Faulk and Steven Jackson in the backfield?

54 passing plays (49 throws, one scramble, 5 sacks)
    14 running plays

Unacceptable.

The Rams defense right now is bad (I will cool off before I think about whether this can be fixed this year or whether this is going to be the case all year). There's only one cure for this... keep them off the field.

But when you don't even try to establish a run, you "lengthen" the game and force the defense to make more stops (this is pretty basic stuff, isn't is?).

And its not like the Rams were trailing all game. They were in control early, and could have tried to establish the running game then. Even if they had to start throwing more later, at least the Saints would have to look for the run on occasion.

54 passing plays...

14 running plays...

Simply unacceptable.

Re: Martz Madness: 54 Passing plays, 14 Runs

The Rams playcalling was exactly what the Saints needed to win. Haslett knew that he had to control time of possession in order to win and he played like it. Martz playcalling only helped him. If our offense is not on the field, our defense is and that is good only for the opposition.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

15 runs last week...this is simply MORE OF SAME from 'boy genius'. When will you get it?? Rain Man strikes again! The numbers dont lie...when Faulk gets his 20+ carries the Rams are virtually UNDEFEATED. This nauseating FOOLISHNESS goes on EVERY YEAR.
      Last edited by RamWraith; -09-26-2004, 02:14 PM.
      "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Comment

The Rams needed a good show on the ground today, given that the Saints are one of the worst run defenses in the league, and while the pass wasn't ineffective, it would have been nice to keep the Saints O off the field by getting some long drives.

The bottom line is, even if you're critical of the ratio, we had this game won with half a minute left in the game. The offensive tactics were enough to put us in a position to win.

Comment

I thought that the run today would be effective since the Saints had been so poor up to this point in run defense but today we were unable to run much while the passing game was at least credible so why not pass if you can't run? I would much rather have more running but when you can't run what do you have left?

John

Comment

Although not the prevailing viewpoint I'm sure, I too think an ineffective running game necessitated the emphesis on the pass. I also agree with Nick, despite the unbalanced ratio, we had the game well in hand with less than a minute to go. Special teams and the defense lost us the game.

Comment

I don't think you can make a blanket statement that the running game was ineffective when you only run 14 times the ENTIRE game. I don't know the exact breakdown, but the Rams couldn't have called more than have of those running plays in the first half. That's just a lack of committment to run the ball in my book. I'm sure that there were just as many ineffective passes called in the first half, but we didn't stiop passing did we?

People have been complaining about Martz's lapses in sticking with the running game for well over 2 years now. I think maybe sometimes Martz's brain simply freezes up.
              Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

I really don't understand why many of you are seemingly so surprised. Guys, this is Martz' style of offense. Martz believes in the passing attack first and foremost and he has a pass oriented offense to impliment his beliefs. When the Rams win no one seems to complain, but when they lose, many seem to forget what Martz is all about.

A few key plays here and there and it is an entirely different outcome. The penalties really killed the offense from gaining a big lead. Sure the running game, when it's working can keep the defense off the field, but a big lead can also change the opponents tactics and give the defense an advantage when they are on the field. It seems to me that the key with Martz' attack has always been to score and score again. They seem to be at their best with a big lead. Close games can go either way, for them, depending on the way the ball bounces.

Comment

Very good point, Ferter. People like to flash around this whole "The Rams are undefeated if Marshall gets 20+ carries" as if all Martz needs to do is hand the ball off twenty times to ensure victory. The Rams were moving the ball well through the air, but then fell behind because of their defense and needed to keep up, which they did.

Comment

It seems to me that the running game is very predictable. Where are the misdirection runs we used to see? I wonder how many of our runs were on "first and 10"? Defense seemed to know what was coming. Is Martz still an offensive genius??

Comment

The passing game was pretty successful today. Bulger was 32 of 49 (65%) for 325 yards, with several short passes in the flat to Faulk, so he was still involved in the offense and got touches.

I do think it's obvious that the running game has to be more effective if we are going to have success this year. The passing game alone won't get it done week in week out.

Comment

We pass because the O-line cannot run block. heck they can hardly pass block at times! I liked todays play calling . marshall is not getting any blocking to run so revert back to the pass! Why not, he did it with Kurt and it worked most of the time! I want Martz to bring back all the plays that we use to run ! The miss directions, the shuffle pass, etc. The offense has not been the same the last few years even when KW was running the show! Mike go to the booth for a couple of games and become that Offensive genius that you once were! It wont hurt your reputation! but, it will definetaly help your win-loss record! Bring back the crazy plays! its what made the Greatest Show On Turf!

Comment

Originally posted by talkstoangels61
                          We pass because the O-line cannot run block. heck they can hardly pass block at times! I liked todays play calling . marshall is not getting any blocking to run so revert back to the pass! Why not, he did it with Kurt and it worked most of the time! I want Martz to bring back all the plays that we use to run ! The miss directions, the shuffle pass, etc. The offense has not been the same the last few years even when KW was running the show! Mike go to the booth for a couple of games and become that Offensive genius that you once were! It wont hurt your reputation! but, it will definetaly help your win-loss record! Bring back the crazy plays! its what made the Greatest Show On Turf!
                          Is Martz still running the offense? Or has he turned it over to "Fairchild"? I think that's his name. Isn't he the offensive coordinator? I think you are correct, Martz should go upstairs. He is a liability on the sideline!!! :tough:

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike
                            Although not the prevailing viewpoint I'm sure, I too think an ineffective running game necessitated the emphesis on the pass. I also agree with Nick, despite the unbalanced ratio, we had the game well in hand with less than a minute to go. Special teams and the defense lost us the game.
                            At Last, someone talking sence.

The DEFENCE and the Special Teams lost us this game simple.

__________________________________________________________
                            Keeping the Rams Nation Talking

Comment

Originally posted by rebel13
                              I think you are correct, Martz should go upstairs. He is a liability on the sideline!!!
                              So, you are ok with him calling plays from the booth but not the sidelines?

Really, rebel13, that makes about as much sense as the rest of your posts.

Why does it not surprise me?

:ramlogo:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                                Martz Loses Cool With Media Over Pass to Rush Ratio
                                by Nick
                                Martz Loses Cool With Media Over Pass to Rush Ratio

ST. LOUIS - Win or lose, Mike Martz is doing it his way.

The St. Louis Rams' coach was defiant Monday in the face of persistent questions about his heavy reliance on the pass, insisting his air-first philosophy will work. He defended his 54-15 pass-run ratio in a 28-25 overtime loss to the New Orleans Saints, like it or lump it.

"Look, you can find another coach then,'' Martz said. ``We're going to play fast and furious, that's what we do, and we're going to run it because we want to run it, not because somebody feels like we've got to be balanced.

"That's just the way it is. Get used to it.''

Martz pointed out the Rams' go-ahead touchdown, a 19-yard scramble by Marc Bulger with 28 seconds to go in regulation, came while the team was in passing mode. The nine-play drive that began with 1:48 remaining was all pass. And the Rams were successful at the start of the game while calling 11 pass plays and one run, scoring one touchdown and driving deep into New Orleans territory before Bulger fumbled on a scramble.

So don't talk to him about balance.

"You want to sit in that meeting room with me and look at tape with me all year long, then we'll discuss it,'' Martz said.

The passing game isn't what got the Rams beat. The culprit was a soft defense perhaps still adjusting to new coordinator Larry Marmie, and to injuries at cornerback and linebacker.

The Rams allowed points on five consecutive possessions at one stage of the game, and put up little resistance on both the drive that forced overtime and the Saints' winning march. Twenty-four seconds was two more than the Saints needed to tie it after getting possession at their 42 following a botched squib kick, and the Saints needed only six plays to move 54 yards to set up John Carney's winning 31-yard field goal in overtime.

St. Louis has been particularly vulnerable against the run, allowing big games to aging Emmitt Smith, quarterback Michael Vick and now unsung Aaron Stecker, who had a career-best 106 yards in a fill-in role for the injured Deuce McAllister.

The end result is that just like last season, the Rams are 1-2. But also like last season, when they finished 12-4 and won the NFC West, they're counting on recovering from the sub-par start.

"No one in this locker room is going to give up,'' Bulger said. "It will be tough, but we just have to get it going.''

Martz is just as confident, even though the Rams' next two games are on the road at San Francisco and Seattle.

"I do believe we're going to be fine,'' Martz said. "It's just not going to happen overnight, obviously, but we're going to end up being a pretty good team.''

Other problem areas have been penalties, especially on...
                                -09-27-2004, 07:26 PM
                              • wscramfan
                                Sometimes we need to pound the ball!
                                by wscramfan
                                When is Martz going to realize there are some teams you just have to try to Ram the ball down their throat.... even if you don't succeed. Sure Tampa hasn't done anything this year but c'mon we all know what their defense is capable of and they always play their A game with us. Teams like Tampa, Baltimore, Pittsburg, and especially the Saints will always give us trouble because of what their defenses are capable of (putting pressure on Kurt without having to blitz). Is it just me or did anyone else notice the last time we beat the Saints was when Marshall rushed for I think 220 yds. So if we don't even try to run the ball down their ( those teams above) throats even if if doesn't work, I think we will lose everytime.
                                -11-27-2001, 03:55 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Whiner press blasts Martz
                                by RamWraith
                                Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Martz instrumental in demise of Rams

Ira Miller

In the Super Bowl following the 2001 season, the New England Patriots played a nickel defense virtually the entire game, daring St. Louis to run.

The Rams didn't take the bait. Of course, you might remember, New England, a two-touchdown underdog, won the game -- the second-biggest upset in Super Bowl history.

St. Louis coach Mike Martz did not get his reputation as an offensive wizard by ordering his quarterbacks to hand off. Three seasons later, Martz has not changed. The Rams still live -- and, frequently these days, die -- by the pass.

St. Louis, which is averaging fewer running plays than any other team in the NFL, will bring a 1-2 record to San Francisco for a Sunday night game against the *****. The Rams have beaten only winless Arizona -- in a game the Cardinals led after three quarters -- and their roster includes better talent than their won-lost record shows.

The quarterback, Marc Bulger, leads the NFL in completions and has a completion percentage of 69.3. One receiver, Isaac Bruce, leads the league in receptions and receiving yardage, and the other, Torry Holt, was the league leader in 2003. Left tackle Orlando Pace might be the best in the game. Running back Marshall Faulk has slipped with age, but remains effective. And nine of the 11 starters return on a defense that at least was decent in the recent past.

So how come the Rams stink?

Yeah, it's time to take another look at Mad Mike.

As a head coach, Martz makes an easy target because he is outgoing, outspoken and different. But for all his offensive flair, Martz still doesn't get it. The Rams thought they were starting a dynasty when they won the Super Bowl under Dick Vermeil following the 1999 season, but they haven't come close to fulfilling their promise.

A month ago, this game looked like a certain loss for San Francisco. Now, despite how wretchedly the ***** played at Seattle, it's up for grabs.

The Rams have had the same problems for five seasons under Martz. They lack attention to detail, play sloppily, allow their quarterback to take too many hits (which is what happened to Kurt Warner) and use questionable strategy and play-calling that ignore the running game.

Since Martz became their head coach, the Rams have been more than 37 percent above the league average in losing turnovers and 17 percent above the league average in giving up quarterback sacks. Except for last season, they also have been penalized at a rate well above the league average.

Yet, rather than change, Martz apparently has become defiant about doing it his way.

When he was questioned in St. Louis this week about the abject lack of balance on offense -- 29 runs, 91 passes called in...
                                -09-30-2004, 05:40 AM
                              • DJRamFan
                                [*****] Martz instrumental in demise of Rams
                                by DJRamFan
                                Ira Miller
                                Wednesday, September 29, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chart attached

In the Super Bowl following the 2001 season, the New England Patriots played a nickel defense virtually the entire game, daring St. Louis to run.

The Rams didn't take the bait. Of course, you might remember, New England, a two-touchdown underdog, won the game -- the second-biggest upset in Super Bowl history.

St. Louis coach Mike Martz did not get his reputation as an offensive wizard by ordering his quarterbacks to hand off. Three seasons later, Martz has not changed. The Rams still live -- and, frequently these days, die -- by the pass.

St. Louis, which is averaging fewer running plays than any other team in the NFL, will bring a 1-2 record to San Francisco for a Sunday night game against the *****. The Rams have beaten only winless Arizona -- in a game the Cardinals led after three quarters -- and their roster includes better talent than their won-lost record shows.

The quarterback, Marc Bulger, leads the NFL in completions and has a completion percentage of 69.3. One receiver, Isaac Bruce, leads the league in receptions and receiving yardage, and the other, Torry Holt, was the league leader in 2003. Left tackle Orlando Pace might be the best in the game. Running back Marshall Faulk has slipped with age, but remains effective. And nine of the 11 starters return on a defense that at least was decent in the recent past.

So how come the Rams stink?

Yeah, it's time to take another look at Mad Mike.

As a head coach, Martz makes an easy target because he is outgoing, outspoken and different. But for all his offensive flair, Martz still doesn't get it. The Rams thought they were starting a dynasty when they won the Super Bowl under Dick Vermeil following the 1999 season, but they haven't come close to fulfilling their promise.

A month ago, this game looked like a certain loss for San Francisco. Now, despite how wretchedly the ***** played at Seattle, it's up for grabs.

The Rams have had the same problems for five seasons under Martz. They lack attention to detail, play sloppily, allow their quarterback to take too many hits (which is what happened to Kurt Warner) and use questionable strategy and play-calling that ignore the running game.

Since Martz became their head coach, the Rams have been more than 37 percent above the league average in losing turnovers and 17 percent above the league average in giving up quarterback sacks. Except for last season, they also have been penalized at a rate well above the league average.

Yet, rather than change, Martz apparently has become defiant about doing it his way.

When he was questioned...
                                -09-30-2004, 01:24 PM
                              • txramsfan
                                Running Game % at 6-1
                                by txramsfan
                                We are about 5 percentage points below our offensive balance percentage when it comes to running the ball compared to the Super Bowl season. This has taken more than just a psychological effect on Warner and the sacks, the WR's are dropping balls more often it seems due to the type of pass routes across the middle and know they are going to get leveled.

When Faulk comes back, do the Rams run the ball like they have tried with Canidate, or does Faulk's receiving abilities make it so much more attractive for Martz to throw? Not sure, I think we need to run more.

Suggestions?
                                -11-03-2001, 04:54 PM
                              Working...
                              X