Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-Game Bernie

Post subject: Rams: Fire Away

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's loss and performance was inexcusable. I watched the Saints' first two games, and they are not a good football team.

You don't have to worry about me trying to defend anyone....except for maybe Bulger. Anyone who tries to blame this one on him is really reaching, but I know that some of the Warner worshipers will take the lazy and dishonest way out and rip him, anyway. He passed for 358 yards, completed 65 percent, and held up fine in a 1-dimensional offense that gave New O a chance to tee off on him. He also led the team down (with no timeouts) on a tremendous drive for the go-ahead TD in the final minute. OT drive wasn't impressive but they committed two penalties and didn't try to throw downfield.....if you aren't going to try and run in that situation, then why call really short passes underneath for only 2 or 3 yards?

The Rams have a long list of screw-ups today:

12 penalties today.

special-teams: awful again. today, three s-teams penalties, a long PR allowed, an a botched squib kick.

defense: no takeaways in three games plus an OT.

defense: last two games, 878 yards and 55 points allowed. and repeat: no big plays.

offense: the imbalance has reached insane proportions. Last two
    games, 90 pass attempts, 30 runs. Bulger has been sacked 10 times the last two weeks. He won't survive the season. he's going down. and today the Rams faced the league's 31st-ranked rushing defense and never attacked it on the ground, thus going 1-dimensional and giving New O an easier time of defending the Rams.

Coaching: Martz's decision to go for the squib kick was numbingly bad. Wilkiins put two KOs in the end zone today. The KOR defense was actually solid for once. Yes, Lewis is dangerous. But c'mon...you let them set up at the 42, with 28 seconds left and three timeouts remaining? Against that soft Rams defense? A regular kickoff would have certainly taken more time off the clock....as it turned out, the squib took only 4 seconds off the clock. And on the defensive side, Marmie had his boys playing soft in the OT, with no blitzes and their DBs playing deep and leaving the middle open. Ridiculous.

Cheers,
    Bernie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rams are in a pickle.

Faulk isn't close to being the #28 we saw in his prime. Arizona was a fluke; he cruised through gaping holes. Today I was startled that on two-three occasions, he had a LB out in space, 1-1 and couldn't outrun him or dodge to get around him. The speed has really diminished.

And with a throttled-down Faulk....this situation cries for Steven Jackson, who can at least power for yards and break tackles. But will Martz do what needs to be done -- at least give Jackson a share of this offense? I don't think so, barring injury. The kid was nowhere to be found today.

Cheers,
    Bernie

In the season preview I picked them to finish 8-8 and said they would not make the playoffs.

I have no idea why some here are saying that I'm "finally" acknowledging that they aren't a good team.

I will say this: they should have won today. And that's even in their downgraded state. Because New Orleans ain't any better.

Cheers,
    Bernie

And by the way....

I'm going to limit my comments to this thread here....I have to get a column in, and then it's home to watch all the NFL games I TiVoed today. Six in all. And that doesn't include the ESPN game tonight.

Just wanted to say that....I'm not going to be jumping around to all of the posts tonight. Just trying to save some time and also keep focused on this particular game, with my assessment leading it off.

Cheers,
    Bernie

Martz isn't going anywhere.

Unless he cracks up and asks to step down. which he won't do.

Cheers,
    Bernie

Re: Post-Game Bernie

but I know that some of the Warner worshipers will take the lazy and dishonest way out and rip him
    Even when the rest of his analysis is right on target, he always has to get that little jab in on the people that thought the organization did Warner wrong.

What a flaming jackass!
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Yodude
      Even when the rest of his analysis is right on target, he always has to get that little jab in on the people that thought the organization did Warner wrong.

What a flaming jackass!
      How about this: stop posting here and go post on the PD boards for about a week. Then I think you might understand Bernie's position a little more because, and I might be wrong on this, I believe he deals more with PD posters than he does anyone else.

The people who post at the PD are unbelievable, and I think that's what Bernie was primarily responding to.

Comment

Since Bernie has to take pot-shots at Warner and people who think he didn't get a fair shake in St. louis, I'll counter. But first let me say that this loss CANNOT be blamed on Marc.

When Warner was playing well, but the team was still losing; it was W-L. Now, Bulger is playing well (by his standards) and it is stats. No consistancy here.

Also. Bulger did make some really bad plays today that would have had Warner on the cross. His attempt at a shovel pass while being tackled absolutely baffles me. That is a TOTALLY UNEXCUSABLE fumble. The TD pass to Holt should have been an INT, but Holt managed to get Jordonesk type air to snag the TD catch. Also, while his pocket presence did improve in this game, he still is taking sacks that should be throw aways. Of course, he'd have to have been wearing a Saints jersey to be able to do it without a Grounding Penalty. If they counted sacks against the QB rating, he'd have MUCH worse numbers.

But, again, this game CANNOT be blamed on Marc. I was actually impressed with his play most of today. That scramble for the TD was great, and Kurt probably wouldn't have been able to get as many yards in the same situation. I do have one question on that TD. WHERE THE HELL WAS THE FLAG???????? Marc was well into the endzone when he was hit with the intent to injure. I don't know how many times I have seen a personal foul called on just that sort of play (not only to the RAMS D). I think the officials had Saints' jerseys on under their stripes.

gap

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
          How about this: stop posting here and go post on the PD boards for about a week.
          I understand what you are trying to say Nick, but I think reading the PD board for even an hour would be enough to discourage anyone from posting there.....LOL

;)

Comment

Originally posted by Ferter
            I understand what you are trying to say Nick, but I think reading the PD board for even an hour would be enough to discourage anyone from posting there.....LOL

;)
            When this board is quiet, I venture over there. And you're right. It's difficult for me to stay 15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by gap
              Also. Bulger did make some really bad plays today that would have had Warner on the cross. His attempt at a shovel pass while being tackled absolutely baffles me. That is a TOTALLY UNEXCUSABLE fumble. The TD pass to Holt should have been an INT, but Holt managed to get Jordonesk type air to snag the TD catch. Also, while his pocket presence did improve in this game, he still is taking sacks that should be throw aways.
              Pretty fair points. Though it should be said he found Marshall Faulk MUCH more, especially in the flat, and spread the ball around very well.

Comment

bulger wasnt attempting a shovel pass when he fumbled. the ball hit orlando's fat ass as he was running with it and thats why it popped out.

Comment

Look people the bottomline is the defensive unit and special teams. They have allowed huge yardage gains and lots of gaps. They have put the team in a pressure mode. Today, the offensive unit granted gave up 5 sacks but still Marc was able to use Bruce, Curtis and Holt to spread the ball. They could have run on this team if Steven Jackson was called upon.
                  The role that Marshall must play is very obvious. He must be a lead blocker for Jackson to blossom. That is exactly was Hodgins use to do for Faulk. With his help Marshall can become a receiver threat and be used to free up Bruce and Holt for more opportunities.
                  And Warner dong good. Hey they are in the same boat except the Giants defense is better at holding opponnents. Do we miss Wistrom Hell Yea!!!
                  I question Mike Martz just like anyone else does. But today the execution on the defensive and special teams squads was unexcusable. Offensively Bulger played as well as anyone. They should have won. He had NO Interceptions.
                  So let's hope we do not get beat by San Francisco. That would the low blow of the season.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                    Multiple Bernie
                    by Nick
                    Compiled and Posted By RubberSoul on the PD Board

Post subject: Bernie Bits

BernieM wrote:
                    And how exactly did you arrive to the conclusion that Arizona wanted to win the game more?

One team had 448 yards; the other 260.
                    One team had 27 first downs, the other 14.
                    One team forced eight punts; the other team forced three.

Rams turnovers were the reason why the game was close. Steven Jackson fumbled....was it because of a lack of desire? .... Bulger threw an INT; was it because he didn't want to win? Looker got hit and fumbled; was it because he didn't care?

Did you see the Rams defense? All three times after the Rams offense turned the ball over, they forced Arizona off the field in three plays....after the long kickoff return to the STL 29-yard line, the Rams defense forced AZ to settle for a field goal. In the fourth quarter, protecting a 7-point lead, the Rams defense held three different times and forced punts. Is that not a show of character, heart, whatever you want to call it?

What about the Rams offensive line? Rams RBs averaged 5.9 yards per carry; no sacks were allowed. Did the Rams' offensive line lay down and play lethargically? If so, back it up.

Rams LB Pisa Tinoisimoa suffered a dislocated shoulder and had to leave the game...the docs popped it back in place, put the shoulder in a harness, and he returned to play....he was in a tremendous amount of pain. But he played on. CB Jerametrius Butler dislocated a couple of fingers, had them popped back into place, and played the rest of the way....yeah, the Rams really dogged it.

I'm just looking for some evidence to support the accusation that the Cardinals cared more about winning than the Rams.

Cheers,
                    Bernie

On spoiled fans:
                    BernieM wrote:
                    It's really pathetic.

These fans -- not the loyal and discerning fans who offer constructive and on-point criticism, but the chronic and mindless whiners -- deserve to have a 4-12 team.

Cheers,
                    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
                    Bulger's problem today was his failure to check down to Faulk on three key occasions; two in the red zone; he forced throws instead.

Cheers,
                    Bernie

On Pace Firing Postons:
                    BernieM wrote:
                    Pace denied that after the game.

Too bad.

I think his life would be less complicated without the Postons.

Cheers,
                    Bernie

On Pace:
                    BernieM wrote:
                    Gee, he really stunk it up today, didn't he?

The Rams averaged only 5.9 yards per rushing...
                    -09-12-2004, 09:45 PM
                  • RamWraith
                    The Bernie speaks
                    by RamWraith
                    BernieM wrote:
                    i'm so bored with all of the warner worship and selective memories -- excuse me while I yawn again -- but to answer, yet again...and again...and again...

I encouraged martz to start running the ball around 2000, when it was obvious that they couldn't stop anyone on defense that year and needed to eat some clock. It came up again in 2001 before the playoffs and of course my columns after the 2001 Super Bowl loss were about how Martz needed to run the ball more against the Patrtiots. I'm certain I broached the subject again before now, because Martz and me have gone round and round on it through the years. There's another point of view here; if a team is winning and scoring I don't care how he does it. When a team isn't winning and isn't scoring, then it's time to look at the approach. that's where we are now. and for the umpteenth time, I am not responsible for a reader's reading-comprehension level. I am not responsible for what a reader retains, or chooses to retain, from what I've written through the years.

Thanks very much.

Cheers,
                    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
                    While I'm reluctant to continue feeding this bizarre Warner obsession, which has a never-ending cycle, I'll respond:

Any student of NFL history knows that other so-called damaged goods QBs have revitalized their careers elsewhere.

The classic example is Jim Plunkett.

Though he didn't go elsewhere to do so, I saw John Unitas go through more than one cycle of rallying his career from abuse and injuries.

Heck, I covered a guy who did it -- Neil Lomax. He was so gun shy and worn down physically after the 1985 season, that it took him until 1987 to fully recover, mentally and physically.

If Kurt makes it back to the elite level to stay for a while, it will be because he's healthy and thus capable of physically doing the job.

As I have said all along, if his hand is sound, and doesn't flare up, he's fine.

One thing that clearly has happened in his favor is that he seems much calmer in the pocket now. The time away from getting hit and pounded was beneficial to him.

As for my credibility -- in general terms -- anyone who thinks that me or any other sports columnist, or sports fan, or human being is right all of the time, please join us in the real world. I've never made that claim, and never will make that claim, that I am always right. And I do not hesitate to admit when I am wrong.

God forbid I should be as arrogant as some of my critics.

And in this instance, I consider the source. Some of the Warner fans are hardly objective about this situation. The gentleman who created this thread, for instance, has an e-mail address that basically serves as a tribute to Warner.

And there's nothing wrong with that -- but at the same time, I always must keep...
                    -10-04-2004, 04:34 AM
                  • RamWraith
                    Lots of The Bernie
                    by RamWraith
                    BernieM wrote:
                    I'll try to break it down for you, saintloser....

last week Rams played the 31st run defense in the NFL .... and didn't run....and didn't play Steven Jackson.

This week they line up against the 11th run defense in the NFL ... and make a determined effort to run....and go 73 yards for a TD in 10 running plays ... with JACKSON AND FAULK SHARING THE LOAD.

(In other words: (A) team is capable of running; (B) Jackson and Faulk can be used with great effectiveness; it doesn't have to be one or the other.

So this would lead a reasonable mind to wonder ... why didn't the Rams -- with a bad QB at the helm no less -- try to run it at Arizona last week? It just reveals what a horrible, flawed gameplan they had in Arizona.

Got it?

Thanks.

Cheers,
                    B

BernieM wrote:
                    markd...

the line is doing a terrific job, opening holes, and pushing the Eagles inside on those outside-design runs.

You can see the difference....

Faulk has the holes, and he's been productive, with 7 carries for 38 yards so far. But with the same set of circumstances, Jackson is going off, with 9 carries for 100 yards. He's able to bust it loose and take it down the field.

Faulk does look better tonight than he has in a while.

Cheers,
                    B

BernieM wrote:
                    Marshall can be a useful spot player..... as long as he's willing to accept the role.

Cheers,
                    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
                    at the Edward Jones Dome....said it's disgraceful...and needs to be replaced, the sooner the better....he's been pushing for it...asked the media to make it an issue. (upset over injuries, concussion to Cleeland, and the late-game injury to the Philly player, Thomas Tapeh)...

also.... Martz says Bulger has been hurt all season (shoulder) and that no one knew about it....says the shoulder has been sore since the first game of the season .... and that the two weeks off helped make it stronger.

Cheers,
                    B

BernieM wrote:
                    Sorry, but I don't rip coaches who go 12-4 and squeeze wins out of a team in transition, as Martz did last season.

Say what you want, think what you want, insult me, whatever.

Won't change my mind. Martz did a helluva job in 2003.

This year his coaching has been pretty bad.

As I've said before, I don't dumb myself down just to appease a mob. I write columns based on what's happening and what I know to be true.

Coaches and managers have good seasons and bad seasons, just as players do. Witness La Russa and Baker in 2003 and 2004. They basically switched places in terms of their respective performances from 2003 to 2004.

Cheers, ...
                    -12-31-2004, 04:52 AM
                  • RamWraith
                    The Bernie bits
                    by RamWraith
                    BernieM wrote:
                    Pace Haters,

I''m covering baseball today and wasn't in Atlanta. I TiVoed the Rams game and will look at it later.

Better yet, I'll watch a copy of the coach's film this week at Rams Park and take a look at the O-line play, including Pace.

If he played bad, then he played bad. We'll see.

But I surely have no intention of trusting the word of Haters. I'll see for myself.

Funny how the Haters were so silent after last week's game.They were waiting until it was safe to rip him.

Cheers.
                    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
                    Actually, I want to thank you guys for brightening my day.

Seriously.

The Cardinals baseball game was kind of dull. I wasn't in a particularlyy good mood. I was in the press-room area at Busch, watching a little of the Rams game -- literally one series. The Rams O-line was having a rough time of it. Grant Williams and Chris Dishman missed blocks. I didn't see any Pace mistakes -- and I'm not saying he didn't make any; just not during the small part of the game I saw (so far).

But I joked with my colleagues....I said, "You wait, all of this will be blamed on Pace. No matter what happens, it'll be Pace's fault. It'll be fun to see it on my forum and e-mails."

Sure enough....you guys are too good to be true. Thanks for the smile.

Cheers,
                    Bernie

On Pace:
                    BernieM wrote:
                    Bertrand Berry is a good NFL defensive end.

How many sacks did he have last season?

Cheers,
                    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
                    I predicted 8-8, or 9-7 if things went well.

I also predicted that they'd lose today -- and in fact, was right on target about how it would happen. I wrote that Vick would have a break-out game.

So I'm not sure why some of you are freaking out and acting like this loss today was some sort of unpredictable, unforseen disaster. Especially considering that the Rams defense hasn't stopped a running game for the last nine games, including the playoff loss to Carolina. They're giving up an average of just under 6 yards a carry in that stretch. Until they correct that -- if they can -- there will be some long Sundays.

It's the NFL. Green Bay goes to Carolina and whips the NFC Super Bowl team, and then comes home and gets wiped up at Lambeau by the freaking Bears.

Detroit is 2-0.

Kansas City is 0-2.

Denver goes to Jacksonville and scores what, 6 points?

Take a deep breath. As I wrote before the season, the Rams have experienced a talent drain. They're trying to make up for that on the fly. There will be some rough moments this season.

Again, it's truly bizarre -- the way St. Louis football fans have no perspective on this league and its ebb and flow,...
                    -09-20-2004, 12:11 PM
                  • RamWraith
                    A bunch of Bernie posts
                    by RamWraith
                    Work done by RubbersSoul

BernieM wrote:
                    In today's column I mentioned Warner's legacy -- that he made all of those gloomy football seasons in St. Louis disappear, and replaced them with precious moments and memories.

In the short term, he has another legacy: the Rams' starting QB in the next few years will be held to a preposterous standard. No question, Bulger needs to play better. As I wrote in here from minicamp, his arm on the deep balls remains weak and I get ticked off just watching it.

But overall, Bulger is at about where he should be (and he's pretty good) for a QB still finding his way in this league. But because Warner played at such unbelievable heights from 1999-2001, Bulger will be measured against that. Is that fair? Probably doesn't matter -- it's sports. It's just the way it is. Ironically, even Warner fell short -- way short -- of meeting those standards himself, once the injuries took their toll. Warner wasn't Warner, either....and yet some demand that Bulger be the Warner of 1999, 2000 and 2001. Kind of silly if you ask me. Ain't gonna happen. So Bulger should be judged on his own merits.

Cheers,
                    Bernie

BernieM wrote:

You're right; Martz does "spin" on Warner.

It's been a long time since Martz and Warner had a truly good relationship, so I always discount MM's warm and fuzzy comments about Kurt.

Bottom line is, it all started to fall apart when Kurt's hand became something he couldn't overcome. It started the domino effect. If Warner could still throw it consistently like he once did, and if he could get settled in the pocket again without freaking, none of this would have happened. The Rams and Martz invested a ton of money in Kurt and had no reason to want him to fail. By going this way, they've got millions invested in two QBs, Warner and Bulger, and that hurts their cap.

Cheers,
                    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
                    Bulger is capable of throwing the deep pass. We saw it in 2002. It frustrates me to see him sputter in this area. I think it's in his head. He's thinking too much about technique instead of letting it rip.

In another follow up, as I've said many times, Bulger needs to play better. Cut down on mistakes, most of all.

But only a fool would expect him to play as well as Warner did from 1999-2001.

Cheers,
                    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
                    It isn't a matter of Kurt's hand being healed.
                    It will never be healed, really. Not in the traditional sense.
                    That's because the problem -- as I continually write -- is an arthritic-like condition in his right thumb. That never heals. It's just a question of when it flares up, and how it limits him when it does flare up. Some days, his grip is fine. Other days, it isn't.

I dig the Martz bashing on this...
                    -06-04-2004, 09:47 AM
                  Working...
                  X