• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams To Retire Deacon Jones' Number

Rams to retire Deacon Jones' number

Associated Press
    11:18 AM CDT, June 22, 2009

ST. LOUIS - Deacon Jones, the Hall-of-Famer who coined the phrase "quarterback sack," will have his number 75 retired this season by the St. Louis Rams.

A Rams spokesman said Monday that a specific date for the ceremony honoring Jones will be announced later.

Jones played for the Los Angeles Rams from 1961 through 1971 and was part of the "Fearsome Foursome" with Merlin Olsen, Lamar Lundy and Rosey Grier.

Jones had 159.5 sacks as a Ram and 173.5 overall. He reached double digits in sacks seven times and had 20 or more three times. He was NFL defensive player of the year in 1967 and 1960, was voted to nine Pro Bowls, and was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1980.

Re: Rams To Retire Deacon Jones' Number

About time!:ram:
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Comment

Long time coming. Congratulations.
      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Hopefully the ceremony is on September 27th, 2009.

That's right BASH weekend!

...and why did this take so long?!
        sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Hmm, I wonder if Deacon's rant to the LA Times a few months ago had anything to do with this decision?

Say what you want about Chip Rosenbloom and the fact that he might be a lame-duck owner, but the man is taking care of unfinished business, both past and present.

Comment

he deserves this long over due honor, if the players of today played with half his intensity our defense would be so much better.

Comment

As a St. Louisan, it's nice to see them honor the L.A. Rams.

Comment

I guess its gonna take just as long to retire Ellard and Ike's number. Longtime coming, but definately well deserved

Comment

Should have been retired the last day he walked off the field... Congrats Deac and thanks for the memories.
                  This space for rent...

Comment

It's about time! Should have happened years ago!

Comment

Woohoo! Any man who creates a new stat category deserves his number retired, in my book. How often does that come along?

Comment

Originally posted by LA Rammer View Post
                        About time!:ram:
                        Absolutely, positively, about time!!!!!!! OMG, this should have been done 10 - 20 years ago.
                        That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Comment

My reaction to this news can be best described with this song title..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxrWRN0aq2c

:ram:

Comment

Originally posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
                            Hmm, I wonder if Deacon's rant to the LA Times a few months ago had anything to do with this decision?

Say what you want about Chip Rosenbloom and the fact that he might be a lame-duck owner, but the man is taking care of unfinished business, both past and present.

Totally agree on both of your paragraphs Mike! That is, affirmative on the 1st as well.

Hey, there are many things going on right now -- and will of course, continue -- in preparing for the new season. New coach, new F.O., high expectations, players' excitement, etc.3X. And I'm all for it, that's why I come here as often as I can to read the latest on my team, the St. Louis RAMS.

This news about Deacon's jersey, however, has made my day! ...Eeeeelated. :helmet:
                            Last edited by RealRam; -06-23-2009, 04:37 PM. Reason: Tyop

Comment

This is a classy move by Rosenbloom and long overdue as we all know. I'm very

impressed with Chip since he has become owner, he has really made an effort to

turn this team around first by cleaning house ( Shawmunt ) Second by bringing in

quality football minds ( Despags ) Third by recognizing the history of our franchise

and giving credit where credit is due ( retiring a hall of famers jersey)

It's too bad the franchise is for sale i wouldn't mind having lil' Chippy as our long term

owner. Cheers to you Chip.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• ramsanddodgers
                                Deacon Jones dead at age 74
                                by ramsanddodgers
                                Hall of Fame DE Deacon Jones dead at 74
                                Associated PressBy The Associated Press | Associated Press – 17 mins ago

David "Deacon" Jones, a Hall of Fame defensive end credited with terming the word sack for how he knocked down quarterbacks, has died. He was 74.

The Washington Redskins said Monday night that Jones died of natural causes at his home in Southern California.

"Deacon Jones was one of the greatest players in NFL history. Off the field, he was a true giant," said Redskins general manager Bruce Allen, whose father, George, coached Jones with the Los Angeles Rams. "His passion and spirit will continue to inspire those who knew him. He was cherished member of the Allen family and I will always consider him my big brother."

Jones was the leader of the Rams' Fearsome Foursome unit from 1961-71 and then played for San Diego for two seasons before finishing his career with the Redskins in 1974. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1980 and made the league's 75th anniversary all-time squad.

Because sacks didn't become an official statistic until 1982, Jones' total is uncertain. His impact as a premier pass rusher and team leader is not.

Jones made the Pro Bowl every year from 1964-70 and played in eight overall. He combined with fellow Hall of Famer Merlin Olsen, Rosey Grier and Lamar Landry on the defensive line that, at times, was unblockable.

George Allen, who coached the Fearsome Foursome, called Jones the "greatest defensive end of modern football." The Allen family had Jones present George Allen for his Hall of Fame induction in 2002.

The Rams' stats show Jones with 159 1-2 sacks for them and 173 1-2 for his career — all unofficial, of course. Jones also was one of the most durable players, missing just five games in his 14 pro seasons.

A 14th-round draft pick in 1961 out of Mississippi Valley State, which later produced Jerry Rice, Jones was the first defensive lineman with 100 solo tackles, reaching that mark in 1967.

Most recently, he was the CEO of his own foundation, which he began in 1997. He also made several trips to visit troops on active duty in the Middle East.
                                -06-03-2013, 10:58 PM
                              • AlphaRam
                                Deacon Jones Retirement Print
                                by AlphaRam
                                For those who could not attend the game, here is a picture of the print that was handed out at the game.

-09-29-2009, 05:59 PM
                              • NJ Ramsfan1
                                Deacon Jones Honored Forever
                                by NJ Ramsfan1
                                Roger Goodell announced that starting this year the NFL will present the Deacon Jones Award to the player who registers the most sacks in the NFL during the season. A great honor and a wonderful way to forever memorialize the greatest defensive end ever.
                                -06-22-2013, 03:08 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Deacon Jones - 'Secretary Of Defense'
                                by RamWraith
                                Khalil Garriott
                                NFLPLAYERS.COM
                                03/15/2007

Deacon Jones - 'Secretary Of Defense' Making A Difference

David "Deacon" Jones is a living legend in every sense of the term.

Having already become a gridiron great on the football field, Jones has shifted his focus to giving back to young people. He is president and CEO of the Deacon Jones Foundation (http://www.deaconjones.com/), which "is committed to developing young, educated, talented, intelligent, accomplished people who understand their commitment to the inner-city communities from which they come, and have the tools and the desire to return," according to the foundation's Web site.

Jones was truly a pioneer during his time, using his speed and toughness to harass quarterbacks from his defensive end position. He revolutionized that position, so much so that he's credited with the term "sack" that today defines the success of defensive linemen. His personal accolades and honors are seemingly never-ending, but perhaps it's his absence in only five games over a 14-year NFL career that best represents how Jones played the game.

"I've had a heck of a life," Jones said, laughing.

While he could easily sit back and rest on the laurels he achieved as one of the best defensive ends of all-time, Jones has done the opposite since retiring from football. By using his personal story as a man who overcame hardships while living in a low-income area to become a Pro Football Hall of Famer, Jones is an inspiration to those less fortunate.

"Coming from a poor, inner-city neighborhood myself, I have an intimate knowledge of all of the problems people face there," Jones said on his Web site. "When kids from the ghetto enter college and the workplace, they don't know a thing about what they hear. And they are never told exactly what their commitment to their own neighborhoods must be."

Now approaching age 69, Jones has retired—in a sense. He, of course, doesn't put on the pads and helmet anymore, but hasn't shown many signs of slowing down with his foundation and work in the community.

"I retired two years ago from a lot of active stuff but I'm running my foundation and doing a lot of charity work," he said. "I have the Deacon Jones Foundation which is the inner-city scholarship program I run. I have different events all year, so I work those, then I help a lot of the other guys in the league who have programs. I still do some public appearances, but not too many anymore," he continued.

Jones, an outspoken and incomparable leader for the Los Angeles Rams, San Diego Chargers and Washington Redskins, had about as distinguished a career as a player can have. During his best years with the Rams, he garnered a couple nicknames that still stick to this day. Known as the "Secretary...
                                -03-16-2007, 05:06 AM
                              • RamDez
                                Deacon Jones rips St. Louis Rams for not retiring his No. 75
                                by RamDez
                                By Bill Coats
                                St. Louis Post-Dispatch
                                In an interview with Jerry Crowe of the Los Angeles Times, Deacon Jones says the fact that his uniform No. 75 has not been retired by the Rams is “asinine.”
                                Jones, never one to massage his words, had plenty else to say. Here’s the full story:
                                Deacon Jones attacks interviews the way he used to stalk quarterbacks — with abandon, no holds barred.
                                Outspoken, opinionated and unwary of offending, the Hall of Famer credited with giving a name to one of football’s signature defensive plays seems to hold cliches and rote answers in the same regard he once did his prey — which is to say, very little.
                                Jones’ forte, of course, was sacking quarterbacks, a term he coined to give cachet to the art of tackling passers.
                                “You take all the offensive linemen and put them in a burlap bag, and then you take a baseball bat and beat on the bag,” Jones says, explaining the term. “You’re sacking them, you’re bagging them. And that’s what you’re doing with a quarterback.”
                                Jones, 70, pulls forward in his chair as he speaks, voice booming to a near-shout as he makes his points. Cigarette in hand, the greatest defensive end in the history of the Los Angeles Rams is seated in the living room of the spacious home he shares with wife Elizabeth in a gated community in Anaheim Hills.
                                Of his legendary aversion to opposing quarterbacks, he notes, “You kill the head of the snake, the body dies. He is the rallying point, so you’ve got to create that daily hate” for the quarterback.
                                Pro football may never have seen a more ferocious pass rusher than David “Deacon” Jones, a 14th-round pick who turned out to be one of the greatest steals in NFL draft history.
                                Relying on footwork, speed and a devastating set of flying hands — his 1996 biography, “Headslap,” was named after his since-banned signature move — Jones struck fear in the hearts of opposing quarterbacks for 14 seasons with the Rams, San Diego Chargers and Washington Redskins from 1961 to 1974. An eight-time Pro Bowl selection and five-time first-team All-Pro, he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1980.
                                “Unstoppable as a flood, as elusive as a fly in a hot room,” Jim Murray wrote of Jones, who nicknamed himself Deacon after a chance meeting with a Disney executive convinced him that he needed a more distinctive moniker to stand out in a crowd.
                                Said Merlin Olsen of his former teammate: “There has never been a better football player than Deacon Jones.”
                                Jones doesn’t argue.
                                “I came as close to perfection,” the former “Secretary of Defense” says, “as you can possibly get.”
                                Except he never won a ring.
                                “I did it all but one thing in my football career,” he says, “and that was, win that damn championship. Everything else, I double-timed; it wasn’t even close, OK? But within that structure didn’t come a championship, and I live with that every day. I’ve been in the Hall of Fame [nearly]...
                                -04-21-2009, 12:23 PM
                              Working...
                              X