Brooks Foster ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooks Foster ..

Since it's the off-season, how about we take a gander at Brooks Foster?

St. Louis Rams Examiner
    Tim Klutsarits
    April 30, 1:29 PM

Most everyone knows the backgrounds of the top picks in the NFL Draft but where teams have long term success is getting production from later round picks. With the Rams having such a shallow talent pool they are in desperate need of having their later round picks produce immediately. This week we will look at all of the Rams later round draft picks. We have already looked at 3rd round pick Bradley Fletcher and 4th round pick Dorell Scott this week. Today we look at Rams 5th round pick Brooks Foster, wide receiver out of North Carolina.

WHY THE RAMS SHOULD HAVE DRAFTED FOSTER: The 6'1 211 lbs wide receiver from North Carolina is a tremendous athlete. On top of having good size and speed he is apparently a workout warrior. The North Carolina Tar Heels Examiner Brian Ernst says that Foster "is a beast in the weight room and has set most of UNC's lifting records, even those typically held by linebackers and lineman." On top of his workout acumen he was also a very good basketball player. He was a walk-on basketball player for the Tar Heels when they won the National Championship in St. Louis in 2005. So he does have some good history in the Edward Jones Dome.

WHY THE RAMS SHOULD NOT HAVE DRAFTED FOSTER: His production at North Carolina was nothing to write home about. Foster had 30 catches for 334 yards and 2 touchdowns in 2008. Part of the explanation for that was that UNC had two high end wide receivers on their roster in Hakeem Nicks (picked in the first round by the NY Giants) and Brandon Tate (who was selected in the third round by the Patriots). So there was a lot of talent at UNC but there is a lot of talent in the NFL too. Foster also has a history of knee problems. He had a knee injury at the end of the season and also had difficulties with his knee at the Senior Bowl. The other concern I have also comes from Brian Ernst who says "that he would make an unbelievably athletic catch and then drop a gimme." That is concerning to hear as well.

WHAT WILL MAKE THIS PICK A SUCCESS: This pick will be a success if Foster can get into the Rams offensive flow at some point in the season. I believe that if Foster could become a factor in the red zone on "jump ball" passes, creating mis-matches with smaller defensive backs that he could be a real asset. My assessment is that if Foster can somehow become a player that catches about 25-35 balls and rack up about 300-400 yards in the 2009 season then this would be a real get for Billy Devaney and the Rams.

WHAT WILL MAKE THIS PICK A DISASTER: The pick becomes a disaster if Foster cannot make it on a squad that currently has a three deep of Donnie Avery, Keenan Burton, and Derek Stanley. This is easily the easiest roster to make at wide receiver in the NFL so Foster has every opportunity in the world to translate his athletic ability into becoming a serviceable NFL player.

Brooks Foster is a very intriguing pick to me. He is clearly a tremendous athlete that appears not to have reached his peak on the football field. The Rams need someone desperately to come out of the woodwork at wide receiver this season to perform beyond expectations. Maybe Foster is that player?

Pre-draft measureables:
    (* represents NFL Combine ** represents North Carolina Pro Day)

Ht -- 6'-01/2" *
    Wt -- 211 lbs *
    40 time -- 4.38 **
    10-yd split -- 1.52 **
    20-yd split -- 2.59 **
    20-yd ss -- 4.18 **
    3-cone -- 6.87 **
    Vert J. -- 381/2"
    Broad J. -- 10'.07" **
    Bench press -- 27 reps *
    Wonderlic -- 22 *

Foster broke Eddie Royal's record for most bench press reps ever for a wide receiver at the NFL combine. On April 26, 2009, Foster was drafted in the fifth round by the St. Louis Rams.

Player Notes from Comcast Sports ..
    June 5, 2009
    The St. Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting that Brooks Foster still has a lot of work to do before he is ready to compete at an NFL level. Coach Steve Spagnuolo was quoted as saying: "We need a little bit of time with him, but he's been good."

Our View:Foster should have an opportunity to make the team this season, but it seems unlikely he will be able to contribute. The Rams seem to think he could have some potential down the road, but he warrants no fantasy consideration for this season.

Our View:Foster underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee after North Carolina's regular season finale and soreness forced him to leave Senior Bowl practices early. Before suffering the injury, Foster was a dangerous vertical threat, and given the sorry state of the Rams' wide receiver corps, he could be a darkhorse for playing time in 2009.

Heck, even if he has hands of stone, at least we could throw him in there occasionally on running plays so he could benchpress a cb or safety now and then ..

Re: Brooks Foster ..

Interesting conundrum for Spags; do you keep Stanley as the poor man's Avery? Basically an insurance policy in case DA goes down is the best argument I can make in his favor. I don't know much about the other WRs but I think he's the one most likely to get Avery's longbomb shots.

Foster, on the other hand, may be the better guy to help in the Red Zone; bigger & stronger to fight in the telescoped RZ field. Not exactly Ramses Barden/Crabtree slow,though, either.

Which guy gains favor/PT may tell us quite a bit about the ratio of NFC East power game and WCO we will see in The Rams approach.

I think it will be BF.There has to be a better option than DS at KR. I don't think he can take the pounding there or in a WCO short passing game where you get pummelled by LBs a lot.Nor do I see Bulger throwing those desperate heaves as much this year. I hope not, anyway. Makes keeping him bubblewrapped in case DA gets hurt even less logical,imo.Nor have I seen him show anything like DA's versatility. Speed's great but doesn't there have to be more? Over 2 seasons I haven't seen it.

Doesn't Foster indisputably have a better pedigree and physical tools if his knees are ok? The epitome of a sleeper/ascending player on paper to me right now.

I expect there to be growing pains and inconsistency from new guys but ,honestly, I'm a little sick of waiting around in agonizing hope for players like Stanley to produce.

I hope the rookies beat out both Stanley and Wade. I think it'll mean their respective units will have more versatility in both the short & long run.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Bralidore(RAMMODE)
      Is Receiver Really That Big a Need?
      by Bralidore(RAMMODE)
      Ive been reading frequently on this forum about the need for a "#1 Receiver". Really? First off as of now i believe we have a total of 7 receivers. Guys like Jordan Kent and Ruvell Martin will most likely go back to their practice squad roles next year or be released. That leaves us with 5 receivers.

Laurent Robinson- showed flashes of his ability this past year before going down with a freak injury (deja vu) and ending his evaluation. Good size at 6'2 and good speed (ran a 4.38 40) and good leaping ability. Plays bigger than his size. Good hands, can pluck a ball out of the air after leaping over a smaller DB. Very possibly could emerge as a legit number 1 receiver. Need to see what he has after coming back from the injury this off-season.
      YouTube - laurent robinson

Donnie Avery-Elite speed. Needs to improve on his route running ability. Can be a beast in the slot if he gets more physical, as linebackers wont be a match for his speed. Had an ok year even with the complete lack of quarterback production (and protection towards the end of the year). Would have gotten a lot more deep balls caught if there was a Quarterback that could hit him on them. Should be kept
      YouTube - Donnie Avery - University of Houston - Football Highlights

Brandon Gibson- Possess above average hands verging on great hands. Not the fastest guy but has enough speed to get open and make the catch. Average route running, good size, and shows nice moves after the catch, always trying to make a play. Should be kept. Hard to find a vid.
      YouTube - Coug senior only has a few Saturdays left

Keenan Burton-Good possesion receiver. Hasnt wow'ed us with his speed but still has more than enough to get the job done. Impressive vertical for a guy his size and can go up for the ball against smaller corners. Possibly a keeper but replaceable.
      YouTube - keenan burton mix

Danny Amendola- Gave the Rams much to think about this season with his explosive kick returns. Has shown he can fit a Wes Welker type roll for this team in a slot position. Should be kept for Kick return skill alone. At this point not much more than a 3 or 4 receiver option however. Should be kept..
      YouTube - Danny Amendola Tribute Texas Tech

Brooks Foster- Not much is none about this guy. Athlete. 6'1 build and carries every bit of it. Strong, out-repped linebackers and lineman with an impressive 27 reps at the combine. Can run through arm tackles. In the mold of an Anquan Boldin. Doesnt have great speed or explosiveness in and out of his cuts and breaks. Has the will to create plays and generate YAC. Apparently had a knee injury towards the end of his senior year that impacted his draft stock. We haven't seen much him because of another injury to his ankle that originally required 6-8 weeks but he was placed on IR due to roster cuts. Time will tell how he turns out. Personally i hope the rams keep him because...
      -01-10-2010, 04:47 PM
    • evil disco man
      Tar Heel draftee aims to catch on at receiver
      by evil disco man

MAY 29, 2009 -- Brooks Foster turns up field with the ball during an organized team activity training session at Rams Park in Earth City. (David Carson/P-D)

By Bill Coats
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      06/05/2009

Far better known for producing top-shelf basketball players than NFL-caliber wide receivers, the University of North Carolina nonetheless provided an impressive bounty of pass-catchers for this year's draft.

Hakeem Nicks went to the New York Giants in the first round (No. 29 overall), Brandon Tate was selected by New England in the third (No. 83), and Brooks Foster was the Rams' fifth-round pick (No. 160).

That threesome piled up career totals of 324 receptions, 5,004 and 35 touchdowns for the Tar Heels. The 6-foot-2, 204-pound Foster, who contributed 97 catches for 1,237 yards and six TDs, described himself as the trio's de facto leader. "A lot of the players looked up to me," he said. "We helped each other out."

Getting the ball thrown his way could be a challenge at times, he acknowledged. "It was tough, but I never worried about getting lost in the shuffle," he said. "We three receivers, we knew how good we were. We had a good time competing, and we just got better off each other."

With veterans Torry Holt, Drew Bennett, Dane Looker and Dante Hall no longer with the club, the Rams are banking on a gaggle of young wideouts. Second-year pros Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton figure to be the starters, with three-year vet Laurent Robinson in the No. 3 spot.

The rest of the jobs the Rams probably will keep six wide receivers are up for grabs. Foster is the only wideout the team drafted this year.

Coach Steve Spagnuolo likes Foster's potential. "We need a little bit of time with him, but he's been good," Spagnuolo said.

WORKING FOR SPOTS

Although both are expected to land starting jobs, the team's top two draft choices, tackle Jason Smith and linebacker James Laurinaitis, remain with the second units for now.

"That's probably a philosophy thing," Spagnuolo said. "I guess what I believe in is, you earn anything that you should get. These guys haven't even played in a game yet. We have a lot to find out. We still haven't put the pads on."

RAM-BLINGS

Defensive tackle Kirston Pittman (heel) remains sidelined. Wideouts Burton (hamstring) and Derek Stanley (knee) were limited. ... Two more practices are scheduled for today, with minicamp wrapping up with a single workout Saturday morning....
      -06-05-2009, 02:20 PM
    • MauiRam
      WR Brooks Foster strives to crack Rams roster ..
      by MauiRam
      BY BILL COATS
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      05/20/2010

He'd absorbed the bumps and bruises that are unavoidable. But wide receiver Brooks Foster never had experienced a serious injury while playing football.

That streak of good fortune ended last Aug. 14, when he turned his ankle in the Rams' preseason opener against the New York Jets. The injury originally was thought to be a sprain, but further testing disclosed more serious damage.

Foster underwent surgery and landed on injured reserve. In a blink, his rookie season was over.

"That was my first time in maybe 12, 13 years not playing a season of football," Foster said. "It was tough. I wanted to be out there, especially my rookie season. I felt I had a lot to prove and didn't get the chance."

After so many months on the sideline, Foster finally is getting a second chance. He's recovered and is participating fully in organized team activities, which got under way this week at Rams Park.

"It feels good to be running around," Foster said. "I'm just glad to be out here."

Foster stayed in town after his surgery. He attended meetings, studied the playbook and sought tips from the veterans on how to conduct himself like a pro.

"I definitely think the biggest thing is taking care of your body and approaching this like a job," he said. "Because that's what it is."

The 6-foot-1, 205-pounder from Boiling Springs, S.C., was a record-setter at the University of North Carolina in the weight room, not on the field. He set school marks for wide receivers in the bench press (405 pounds) and power clean (353).

"I always go hard in the weight room. I take a lot of pride in that," said Foster, 24. "I try to make sure it carries over to the field."

He assured that his speed has been unaffected by the injury. "Hopefully I'm getting faster," he said. "I don't think I'm in tip-top shape, but I'm definitely going to be there before (training) camp starts."

Foster never earned a full-time first-team job with the Tar Heels. In 41 games, which included 13 starts, Foster had 97 receptions for 1,237 yards and six touchdowns. He also was busy on special teams.

The Rams saw enough, however, to make him their fifth-round draft pick (No. 160 overall) in 2009. And he'd made a positive impression during training camp and the preseason before he was hurt.

He rehabbed aggressively, then continued a demanding regimen after the season, pounding away in the weight room. Coach Steve Spagnuolo noticed.

"He's had a tremendous offseason," Spagnuolo said. "He just looks like a different person. These guys come here young-looking out of college, but he looks like a man to me."

-05-20-2010, 08:53 AM
    • Nick
      Alabama LB Reuben Foster had positive drug test at combine
      by Nick
      Alabama LB Reuben Foster had positive drug test at combine
      By Ian Rapoport
      NFL Network Insider
      Published: April 20, 2017 at 04:15 p.m. Updated: April 20, 2017 at 05:21 p.m. 0 Likes | 0 Comments

From the moment the pre-draft process started, it was nothing like Reuben Foster imagined.

A much-talked about moment at the Scouting Combine involving a hospital worker, rumors about the progress of his surgically repaired shoulder that won't die, questions about his childhood friends -- it has all gotten to the highly touted Alabama linebacker.

"Hectic, stressful, very stressful," Foster said over the phone to NFL.com, after concluding roughly 20 team visits. "It's like the devil is coming after me."

And now comes the latest.

Last month, Foster was notified that his urine sample obtained in Indianapolis during the combine was reported as dilute. Based on the provisions of the NFL's policy and program for substances of abuse, "this will be treated like a positive test."

In discussing his trying few months, Foster disclosed the test results to NFL.com because, he says, "This is something that's going to get out. I don't make excuses. I'm a real dude. I try to be a good person. ... I just hope the coaches understand and that's all I can hope and pray for." Foster has already been on the phone talking with teams telling them himself.

As for why the test came back dilute, Foster explained in detail. He said he was sick before the combine. He was throwing up, had diarrhea, couldn't keep anything down and was cramping. One adviser offered to have a doctor put him on IVs to hydrate, but he didn't want that. He saw a doctor, got some medication and started hydrating himself.

Foster believes it was food poisoning.

"I couldn't eat much, but I had to drink water and Gatorade," said Foster, who began the process as the consensus top linebacker based on his game tape and measurables. "Then a few coaches said something about me being too light. And I'm a coach-pleaser. I don't care what everybody thinks, but I care what coaches think. So I drank and ate as much as I could without throwing up. Then I went in there, drinking and drinking water, trying to flush out my system from whatever was making me sick and trying to keep my weight up and took the test."

The result was the diluted test, Foster says.

And more stress, along with questions about his draft stock. Foster knows this will likely negatively affect where he's selected.

"If it's first round, second round, whoever takes me will get a good football player and an All-Pro," Foster said. "I hope I go on Thursday, but I can't control that."

Foster, who weighed 229 pounds at 6-foot, knows he'll be in the NFL's drug program. Periodic and unannounced tests...
      -04-20-2017, 02:48 PM
    • MauiRam
      NFL Draft has some great catches at wide receiver
      by MauiRam
      By Jim Thomas
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      04/16/2009

A year ago at this time, then-Rams coach Scott Linehan privately lamented the fact that there was no Calvin Johnson in the 2008 draft pool.

Linehan wanted a game-changer to freshen up his wide receiver corps. Johnson, now a budding star in Detroit, would have fit the bill nicely. Alas, Johnson turned pro early and was selected No. 2 overall by the Lions in '07. He already was one year into his NFL career when the Rams picked No. 2 overall in '08.

Last year was a lousy one for wide receivers, with none taken in the first round. Even so, the Rams may have hit on a promising talent by taking the University of Houston's Donnie Avery early in the second round at No. 33 overall.

Following last month's release of seven-time Pro Bowler Torry Holt, the Rams' needs at wide receiver are much greater than a year ago. No, there probably isn't a prospect worth taking at No. 2 overall this year not with Michael Crabtree of Texas Tech still rehabbing from foot surgery.

But it shouldn't matter. This is a deep, talented draft pool at wide receiver.

"The receiver position is really intriguing," San Francisco coach Mike Singletary said. "A lot of speed, a lot of depth there depending on what you're looking for. You've got some tall guys who can fly. Some smaller, well-built guys. The kid out of Florida (Percy Harvin). It's pretty stocked."

At the NFL Scouting Combine, held for the first time at the new Lucas Oil Stadium (in Indianapolis), the 40 times were eye-opening.

"I think we had 11 in the first group who were sub-4.5 (seconds) and had probably the same in the second group," Colts President Bill Polian said. "Some amazing times. ... We know two things: That's a fast track, and we've got a bunch of fast receivers. That's all for the good."

Last year, Avery was the first wideout taken in the draft. In this year's draft, April 25-26, there could be as many as a half-dozen wide receivers taken in the first round. And there should be good value in the second and third rounds as well.

In a telling sign that the Rams are looking to restock the position, six of the 24 confirmed pre-draft visitors to Rams Park this week are wide receivers. The prospects are all over the board in terms of where they might be taken.

Crabtree and Missouri's Jeremy Maclin both could be top-10 picks, although Crabtree might slide some because of his injury. Maryland's Darrius Heyward-Bey, who ran a scalding 4.25 at the combine, also looks like a sure first-rounder.

Also visiting Rams Park this week are:

North Carolina's Hakeem Nicks, who might still be available at the top of the second round.

Tar Heels teammate Brandon Tate, who projects as a mid-round pick following season-ending...
      -04-15-2009, 10:36 PM
    Working...
    X