• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old role could be just right to Croom

BY JIM THOMAS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    07/29/2009

Sylvester Croom already has worked as an NFL offensive coordinator and a college head coach. So at this stage of his career, the 54-year-old Croom is over-qualified if anything for his newest position: running backs coach of the St. Louis Rams.

But Croom isn't the type to take a sabbatical. No need to recharge the batteries. No desire to wait for the perfect job to come along. He just wanted to work.

"As a coach, I don't want to take a season off," Croom said Tuesday. "When I do, that will be the end." In other words, the end of his coaching career — he'll be retired. When it's time to travel or catch up on his reading, Croom joked, "I'll want to do it full time. ... I'm going to recharge by going back to being an assistant. There's definitely a difference, but I just didn't think I would like sitting out."

Croom comes to the Rams after five seasons as head coach at Mississippi State. In 2004, he became the first black head coach in the history of Southeastern Conference football. In 2007, he led the Bulldogs to an 8-5 record and a Liberty Bowl berth, earning SEC coach of the year honors.

But after a 45-0 loss to rival Mississippi ended a 4-8 season in 2008, Croom resigned. His past ties to the West Coast offense, and the group of coaches who worked in that system helped get Croom an interview with Steve Spagnuolo in St. Louis.

"There were a lot of connections once you've been in the West Coast system, and then Green Bay," Croom said. "We sort of all stay in touch. ... I did work with Billy Devaney once before (in San Diego). But the main connection was Brad Childress with Spags. Brad and Spags are real close."

During Croom's four-year stint as offensive coordinator in Detroit (1997-2000), the Lions earned two playoff berths and had some of the league's most productive offenses with Barry Sanders at running back (until Sanders abruptly retired before the '99 season), and Herman Moore and Johnnie Morton at wide receiver.

Croom also had stints with Tampa Bay (1987-90), Indianapolis (1991), San Diego (1992-96) and Green Bay (2001-03) as running backs coach. At San Diego, he worked with bruising Natrone Means and pass-catching Ronnie Harmon on the Chargers' 1994 AFC championship squad. With the Packers, he helped Ahman Green to three straight Pro Bowl trips and three straight 1,000-yard rushing seasons.

In St. Louis, he's working with Steven Jackson, who is being counted on more than ever to be the centerpiece of the Rams' offense. Croom says his early exposure to Jackson has been nothing but positive.

"I'm very excited about the way (Jackson) approached the offseason," Croom said. "He's made himself available."

The running back is an integral part of the passing game in the West Coast offense. Croom said Jackson took the time during the offseason to learn the details of the system, not only as a receiver but also as a pass blocker.

"We took a lot of time this offseason in really teaching the details of the passing game," Croom said. "We've totally changed the (pass-blocking) protections, and he's picked it up with no problems at all.

"He really studies the game. When he's not in there running the play, I'll look, and he's right over my shoulder. He's always asking questions."

For much of his life, Croom has been a pioneer in terms of civil rights and race relations. Growing up in Tuscaloosa, Ala., he was part of the group of African-Americans who integrated his junior high school.

He was one of the first black football players at the University of Alabama, and then he made history as the first black head football coach at Mississippi State.

"It's just worked out in my career where I've had that opportunity to be the first African-American in a lot of situations," Croom said. "But it was never anything that was planned. It's just the way this life has gone for me, and the opportunities that I've been blessed with. In retrospect, I do take some pride in it, and some sacrifices that I've had to make along this way. But so does everybody else."

The task in St. Louis — getting the most out of Jackson — may not make history. But it's of critical importance if the Rams are going to have any chance for success this season.

"In order for him to move to the next level and establish himself as a premier player, something we talked about him doing is really understanding blocking schemes," Croom said. "What the defense is doing. How our offensive linemen are attacking the particular front.

"Because if you can anticipate the block, you can have a pretty good idea of where a hole is going to be, when it's going to open up, and get through it as soon as it opens."

And if Croom helps Jackson reach that point consistently as a runner, it will be a season's work well done.

Re: Old role could be just right to Croom

There have been several articles on Croom this offseason. Hopefully Steven Jackson is learning a lot from him that he can use in his career.

Comment

Re: Old role could be just right to Croom

Those last few lines are great, talking about getting Jax to anticipate the block and then get there as opposed to dancing around and looking for the hole. As we all know, that alone should help get a lot more out of the ground game, for Jax to just pick a hole and burn through it. It's all those hits in the backfield that kill drives and injure him.
      I believe!:ram:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Varg6
        Star Running Back Relishes Role with Rebuilding Rams
        by Varg6
        NFL.com

Steve Wyche

As the losses have piled up around the NFL, so has the zaniness.

Winless Tampa Bay is on its third quarterback. Kansas City running back Larry Johnson blasted his coach on Twitter, then zipped the same gay slur on back-to-back days for public consumption, leading to a suspension. Washington took everything but his title from coach Jim Zorn (pride included). Tennessee underwent an owner-ordered quarterback change.

In Cleveland, owner Randy Lerner promised changes and started by bouncing the general manager this week. Fans met with the owner about their dissatisfaction with the team. The starting tailback said he'd rather retire after the season than come back to this, with this being a team that is the current leader in NFL dysfunction.

In St. Louis, though, there hasn't been a peep. The Rams got their first win last week over, a 17-10 decision over Detroit after starting 0-7, but there hasn't been any uproar, firings, player outbursts or tales of coaching tyranny. It's not because of apathy or because they play in a small market, or anything like that.

Tom Gannam / Associated Press
        First-year coach Steve Spagnuolo hasn't let the Rams get frustrated over a 1-7 start.
        Things are moving along under the radar because first-time coach Steve Spagnuolo has been totally up front with his players and coaches about his plan and he's stuck to it with the backing of management and everyone else he's come into contact with. His forthrightness has allowed players on a roster with junior-varsity talent to compete without complaint.

"All the way back in OTAs, coaches asked us to buy into the vision and that's building a high-character team," running back Steven Jackson said. "It's all about team. You put yourself behind the team. We're going through a transition of who fits the scheme, who are the guys the coaches feel they can build a solid foundation with.

"What we have here is a strong leader as a head coach. Him and our GM (Billy Devaney) have a vision and there's no grey areas. They tell you this is where we're headed. Even if you dislike it, there's no question he knows what he's doing. That makes the road easier."

That Jackson, 26, has bought in so thoroughly is huge, and is refreshing in this era of guys begging out of bad situations to coattail onto a better situation.

I asked Jackson (who is second in rushing in the NFL, if you haven't noticed) if he felt he was wasting his prime years toiling for a franchise that has been among the worst in the league the past few years.

"Not at all," he said. "I want to feel the momentum and enjoy it when we turn this thing around. I want to be able to look that guy in the eye and know we share common tears of joy or whatever that moment brings. I want to know me and this person...
        -11-05-2009, 03:47 PM
      • MauiRam
        Sylvester Croom .. Meet the Coaches ..
        by MauiRam
        By Nick Wagoner
        Senior Writer

Had Sylvester Croom followed the life plan that he had laid out for himself as a youngster, there’s no doubt he would have had a profound impact on plenty of people.

Make no mistake, though, the things Croom has done and seen in an alternate career path has opened doors, broken down walls and served as inspiration for more people than he might have ever touched as a school administrator.

Croom had originally intended to go through school, coach high school football and eventually work his way up to school principal and eventually superintendent of a local school district.

Instead, Croom became a football coach but what he’s done in a coaching career spanning 32 years has had an impact well beyond what happens on a football field.

“Once I got into coaching, a lot of it had to do at the time there were very few minority coaches, it’s hard to convince yourself you can do something when nobody that looked like you had ever done it,” Croom said. “You know you can but there are a lot of reasons why you can’t do it. But I was raised in a household where you prepare for anything even if the chance is very minor that it could happen.”

Growing up in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Croom spent most of his spare time around a football field. His father, Sylvester Croom Sr., was an All American player at Alabama A&M and eventually became a high school coach.

As a kid, Croom would spend any possible free minute around his father and the game with a particular fondness for games on Friday nights. That played a big role in introducing Croom to the game but he first earned his playing chops on the sandlots of Tuscaloosa.

Football in Alabama is a sort of religion and playing ball on the sandlot fields around town provided kids their first opportunity to experience the competitive aspects of the game.

“It was always serious, even playing in the sandlot,” Croom said. “We’d break up teams based on where you live and what neighborhood you were in. That’s the way we played. It was all about pride. That’s what has always stuck with me in the game.”

It wasn’t until the ninth grade that Croom began playing organized football, stepping on to the team at Tuscaloosa High as a linebacker and tight end. It was in that first year of high school when Croom was first involved in the progress of integration. He was a part of one of the first classes to integrate in Alabama and quickly learned the various moving pieces of that time in history.

Still, as Croom’s career on the field developed and he proved to be one of the better players in the state, he never harbored dreams of doing anything but possibly playing at a traditionally all black college like his father and eventually following his educational pursuits.

As a senior, Croom rooted for the home state school...
        -07-18-2009, 01:50 PM
      • eldfan
        Star running back relishing role with rebuilding Rams
        by eldfan
        Star running back relishing role with rebuilding Rams
        By Steve Wyche | NFL.com
        Senior Writer

As the losses have piled up around the NFL, so has the zaniness.

Winless Tampa Bay is on its third quarterback. Kansas City running back Larry Johnson blasted his coach on Twitter, then zipped the same gay slur on back-to-back days for public consumption, leading to a suspension. Washington took everything but his title from coach Jim Zorn (pride included). Tennessee underwent an owner-ordered quarterback change.

In Cleveland, owner Randy Lerner promised changes and started by bouncing the general manager this week. Fans met with the owner about their dissatisfaction with the team. The starting tailback said he'd rather retire after the season than come back to this, with this being a team that is the current leader in NFL dysfunction.

In St. Louis, though, there hasn't been a peep. The Rams got their first win last week over, a 17-10 decision over Detroit after starting 0-7, but there hasn't been any uproar, firings, player outbursts or tales of coaching tyranny. It's not because of apathy or because they play in a small market, or anything like that.

Things are moving along under the radar because first-time coach Steve Spagnuolo has been totally up front with his players and coaches about his plan and he's stuck to it with the backing of management and everyone else he's come into contact with. His forthrightness has allowed players on a roster with junior-varsity talent to compete without complaint.

"All the way back in OTAs, coaches asked us to buy into the vision and that's building a high-character team," running back Steven Jackson said. "It's all about team. You put yourself behind the team. We're going through a transition of who fits the scheme, who are the guys the coaches feel they can build a solid foundation with.

"What we have here is a strong leader as a head coach. Him and our GM (Billy Devaney) have a vision and there's no grey areas. They tell you this is where we're headed. Even if you dislike it, there's no question he knows what he's doing. That makes the road easier."

That Jackson, 26, has bought in so thoroughly is huge, and is refreshing in this era of guys begging out of bad situations to coattail onto a better situation.

I asked Jackson (who is second in rushing in the NFL, if you haven't noticed) if he felt he was wasting his prime years toiling for a franchise that has been among the worst in the league the past few years.

"Not at all," he said. "I want to feel the momentum and enjoy it when we turn this thing around. I want to be able to look that guy in the eye and know we share common tears of joy or whatever that moment brings. I want to know me and this person...
        -11-05-2009, 06:39 PM
      • MauiRam
        Charlie Baggett .. Meet the Coaches
        by MauiRam
        By Nick Wagoner
        Senior Writer

For as much as Charlie Baggett loved playing football growing up and all the way through college, he never envisioned a scenario in which he would coach it.

In fact, the thought of coaching was so far from his mind that when he completed his college career at Michigan State, he decided to go directly to the working world.

“I didn’t think I wanted to coach because I knew all the hours they put in and what coaching would take,” Baggett said. “I thought at that point I wanted no part of it.”

Baggett took a job in the corporate world right out of college, accepting a position with IBM. He quickly headed to New York to begin IBM’s grueling training program and become acclimated with the company.

It took all of a year for Baggett to realize that IBM or any other company wasn’t going to be able to provide him with the challenges needed to fan the flames of his competitive fire.

“It was the fact that I didn’t have a job and I was like a lot of people at that age, you just don’t know what you want,” Baggett said. “I tried the IBM deal and did it and just didn’t like it. (Football) is like a lot of things in life, you just get addicted to it. Like golf or whatever it might be. It’s just something you fall in love with.”

Baggett’s love for football made him re-focus his career aspirations on the game he loved growing up. The decision would turn out to be a good one as he would grow to become one of the most accomplished wide receivers coaches in the league, a position he was hired to handle for the Rams by coach Steve Spagnuolo earlier in the offseason.

Growing up in Fayetteville, North Carolina, Baggett quickly took to the game and was one of the most highly touted quarterback prospects in the country out of E.E. Smith High.

Baggett surpassed offers from a variety of schools before accepting an offer to stay close to home and play the University of North Carolina in 1971. His one season there didn’t go as planned though and Baggett opted to transfer to Michigan State.

As a Spartan, Baggett quickly became a key cog. He started at quarterback for three seasons for the Spartans and went to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League, where he was cut.

After he tried the IBM route, Baggett returned to North Carolina for a couple of months. Seemingly out of nowhere, Baggett got a call from Denny Stolz, his coach at Michigan State and the new head coach at Bowling Green.

Stolz offered Baggett the receivers and running backs coach, giving Baggett the rare opportunity to be a full time position coach without ever working in high school or in a graduate assistant type of position.

As a former quarterback, a position where it’s imperative to know what every player on the field is going to do; Baggett took quickly...
        -07-16-2009, 09:38 AM
      • MauiRam
        Mughelli Looks to Make Hit Sequel ..
        by MauiRam
        By Nick Wagoner

Through the years Ovie Mughelli and Steven Jackson crossed paths on a number of occasions, be it at Super Bowls, draft parties or even with Mughelli blocking for Jackson at the Pro Bowl.

The two became friendly if not friends but had only scarcely broached the topic of playing together. This spring, Jackson and Mughelli, acting on their mutual interest in the art of film making, attended the NFL’s Hollywood boot camp, which allows current players to learn about the business.

As it happens, Jackson and Mughelli ended up in the same group and made a movie together, a short film called ‘What’s My App?’ about people who use a phone app to travel back to western times and get stuck there.

The final product was “so terrible it was funny” according to Mughelli.

“He was behind the camera, producing everything and directing,” Mughelli said. “I was in front of the camera. We filmed at Universal Studios, it was a cowboy western and we had a great time. We interacted and had a lot of fun.”

While Jackson and Mughelli didn’t know it at the time, there was a bit of foreshadowing in their movie making dalliance. It was only appropriate that Mughelli was out in front with Jackson behind the camera offering instruction and guidance.

When the Rams inked Mughelli to a one-year contract last Saturday, the fiction of Hollywood became a St. Louis reality. Mughelli has been a Ram for only a handful of days and practices but he’s taken quickly to St. Louis and to the idea of becoming the lead blocker and personal protector for Jackson.

For his part, Jackson has long been at his most productive with a quality blocking fullback clearing out linebackers for him.

“Ovie comes with 10 years of experience,” Jackson said. “He comes from Atlanta, and he also played in Baltimore for a while, so he’s used to some winning. It’s always good to have someone with that wealth of knowledge at the position and have some guys competing. He’s a big body. I’ve known him for a while now, just through our careers. It was another signing that made me smile at the addition of what we’re trying to do as a team and as an offense.”

Ah, yes, the offense, an offense that makes no bones about what it’s trying to be. As Mughelli noted, he’s one of four fullbacks in this year’s training camp competing for what will likely be just one spot on the final 53.

If you have any leftover questions about what the Rams’ offensive philosophy under new coordinator Brian Schottenheimer will entail, simply look at a roster that’s carrying not just one but four fullbacks. Not too shabby for a position that many believe is headed toward extinction in the pass happy NFL.

“If that doesn’t tell you that we are going to run the ball and be aggressive and be a hard nosed running team then nothing will,” Mughelli said.

-08-02-2012, 06:25 PM
      Working...
      X