Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Error: Negativety overload; Now erasing memory.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error: Negativety overload; Now erasing memory.

As I was away from the computer, at the mall and what not, I kept checking the twitter updates (Because I'm cool like that ) and as I read those updates from OneRamsWay (Nick Wagner), I couldn't help but notice smile.

The reason was not that I thought it was funny, and amusing that we were losing like this, or that I knew that the Rams fans around the world were going to crumble into a steaming, pile of panic... but of what I can expect next week, the week after, this season, and the season after. Not a losing, failing, team.. but a team that's going to keep growing. Of course we aren't going to completely forget about our past 3 seasons, and stop going back to "Same 'ol Rams" as an excuse for impatience, but because "What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!". The Rams laid an egg tonight if you'd like to put it that way, but the way I think of it, is that under this new regimine, it's going to be expected. And if you look at New England, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and all the greats, have to lay eggs every once and awhile to not only wake up, but to learn from there mistakes. And now look at them, veteran ownership, veteran front office in most, and success.

The great wall of China wasn't made in one day, nor were the pyramids of Egypt. The Rams to get stronger, are going to get small reminders that you have to play focused every game, no matter if it's preseason, or the regular season. You HAVE to be focused. I don't think that tonight should have been unexpected, but merely expected among those who understand foundation and steps. By no means am I alluding to the fact that I expected this, because I didn't. But that we should be patient, and appreciate games like this.

Steve Spagnuolo has always had a great attitude, great philosophy and great mentors. Jim Johnson, Andy Reid, and Tom Coughlin all had to take a step back and wake up to learn from there mistakes.

Be thankful this happened during the preseason, and remember back in 2007? when Spagnuolo first instilled his scheme into the Giants, they got torched the first game of the season, and improved greatly in the following weeks. His message to the team was be patient, and it'll work out. Today, the Rams 1st team defense got torched, so expect next week, to have it be improved, and much improved two weeks from now. Spagnuolo has shown that he learns from mistakes, and knows how to handle his players, going from Philadelphia, to New York, he's shown it.

So fans, be patient, tonight was a wake up call, and a message to the team. And now Spagnuolo's message will be to be patient, it's going to work out.

Re: Error: Negativety overload; Now erasing memory.

You're right, but shouldn't the past 2-3 years have been wake up calls?

Comment

Well said. I might go even further & suggest that this wasn't even that big an egg. The Falcons are obviously a good offensive team & the Rams D is still very much under construction.

The Rams offense, with only the briefest of cameos by its centerpiece, is designed to get first downs, not be the GSOT exploding up and down the gridiron, & we had a couple of sustained drives. I'm not blind to the problems; the usual suspects showed up,imo; pass rush & run D,pass pro,etc.

Some nice signs of hope in the second half from Darby, Bajema,Null, and others. Holy smokes, we even had a red zone defensive stand that kept us in the game and a nice 2 minute drill by The New Tom Brady (lol)..

Didn't see enough of the first half or close enough to judge line play or Boller but Robinson seems to be showing up a little more each time.

The only thing that could panic me at this point would be a serious injury.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
        Considering we have an ENTIRELY NEW FRONT OFFICE, ENTIRELY NEW COACHING STAFF, AND A NEW(ER) SET OF OWNERS, they haven't went through this.

Comment

The problem with those years was the front office being in total denial about the true situation. That problem, IMHO, is now solved. But the depths to which the Rams fell in those years will take some time to get out of. We're off to a good start...right coach, right personnel moves, right attitude, right GM....but.....we are still on the uphill side of rebuilding. I, for one, am looking forward to watching the process, confident (unless something comes crashing down) that we are finally on the right track.

Comment

Ok we all know that they are in a rebuilding stage no doubt about it. But what as a fan can we expect a turn around like lets say the falcons from jut s year ago. Or the turnarounds of teams like Detroit, Cleveland, San Fran, Cincinnati, KC that have been going on for almost a decade. Preseason means alot to some people, People trying to get a job in the NFL,

I can at least say that are back-ups are better than the jets and the falcons and that is a very nice sign of improvement. But the starters who have been here are just not stepping up to take leadership that we need now

Comment

Originally posted by maxxdigger View Post
              Ok we all know that they are in a rebuilding stage no doubt about it. But what as a fan can we expect a turn around like lets say the falcons from jut s year ago. Or the turnarounds of teams like Detroit, Cleveland, San Fran, Cincinnati, KC that have been going on for almost a decade. Preseason means alot to some people, People trying to get a job in the NFL,

I can at least say that are back-ups are better than the jets and the falcons and that is a very nice sign of improvement. But the starters who have been here are just not stepping up to take leadership that we need now
              Our starters were playing the defending NFC South champions with....not much really. The offense is kind of toothless at the moment.

Comment

on a lighter side i do think the league needs to look at Michael Turner uniform for silicon. The Rams were all looking like the were trying to catch a greased pig

Comment

Things aren't going to get better until there is continuity with Coaches. I wholeheartedly believe that Spagnuolo is the answer to our Head Coaching problem, but that doesn't mean he can change everything in one year, or even two...

Once there is an established system with an established offensive line and QB, then we'll be winning games. And of course, vice versa with the defense...

Just look at the Eagles, McNabb and Reid have been together for years now, they understand each other and the system in Philly.
                  Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

aren't you asking for negativity by starting posts like this ? listen I agree with what you are saying but I also read in another post comments about guys who can't wait to see the Bulger haters try and blame him this week, doesn't this just dangle the carrot in front of them to start a bunch a senseless posts. talk about the game and leave the non sense out and maybe the negative posts will go away.
                    Last edited by jkramsfan; -08-22-2009, 06:35 AM.

Comment

If the '99 Rams could do it why cant it be done now? It wasnt just great Off. but good Def. also after not being competitive defensively in '98. We were competitive last year against Atlanta when we sucked so with all the changes that have occurred this offseason what is still lacking? Its almost impossible to watch or listen to the game anymore! Do we have the "CUBS" syndrome or what? We all remember the past years pre-season games and how we came out with no fire, slow off. and porous def. and how that continued during the regular season. Can this year be different? If so, how? Although this post sounds very familiar, I still find myself trying to find players or plays for positive hope. Miami turned it around last year, what do you suppose made the real difference there, Parcells? Bulgerhas to be our QB for sure, we cant rely on Boler for production. I think the more new faces we see on starting Off. and Def. the better off we'll be. They seem to lack play recognition as individuals and as a whole. We hear about them practicing hard with improvement but then we have to endure a game like last night! You know, we truly are the best and most loyal fans for sure, anyone can stay committed on a winning team, but it takes true love to continue on when your team looks this bad.

Comment

They were, and what did we learn for this year? New defensive head coach. New offensive line. New middle linebacker. All results of the wakeup call from the last few years. Just be patient like the OP said, it'll turn out better than you think I bet.
                        I believe!:ram:

Comment

Originally posted by diehard99 View Post
                          If the '99 Rams could do it why cant it be done now? It wasnt just great Off. but good Def. also after not being competitive defensively in '98. We were competitive last year against Atlanta when we sucked so with all the changes that have occurred this offseason what is still lacking? Its almost impossible to watch or listen to the game anymore! Do we have the "CUBS" syndrome or what? We all remember the past years pre-season games and how we came out with no fire, slow off. and porous def. and how that continued during the regular season. Can this year be different? If so, how? Although this post sounds very familiar, I still find myself trying to find players or plays for positive hope. Miami turned it around last year, what do you suppose made the real difference there, Parcells? Bulgerhas to be our QB for sure, we cant rely on Boler for production. I think the more new faces we see on starting Off. and Def. the better off we'll be. They seem to lack play recognition as individuals and as a whole. We hear about them practicing hard with improvement but then we have to endure a game like last night! You know, we truly are the best and most loyal fans for sure, anyone can stay committed on a winning team, but it takes true love to continue on when your team looks this bad.
                          The 99 Rams were the fruit of two years of Dick Vermeil's rebuilding efforts. We're just starting the rebuilding process now. There may be hope, but its in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFan16 View Post
                            Considering we have an ENTIRELY NEW FRONT OFFICE, ENTIRELY NEW COACHING STAFF, AND A NEW(ER) SET OF OWNERS, they haven't went through this.
                            Otto is right...we are not only rebuilding, but we are restructuring from top to bottom, from the front office to the field. Preseason games are NEVER a reason to be concerned (except for injuries). If you are going to make mistakes, you make them in the preseason. We had a number of starters out in key positions. The only fair criticism I have is the tackling. It was terrible, especially by our secondary. Chill dudes and dudettes. Let's keep our undies unwadded until the regular season starts and the games count.

Comment

Originally posted by bigredman View Post
                              The only fair criticism I have is the tackling. It was terrible, especially by our secondary.
                              Agreed, that was my biggest concern from watching the game. You can work on scheme, positioning and timing, but tackling is something that should be an afterthought. Last night it looked like virtually the entire defense forgot how to do it.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Alec22
                                Rams Staying the Course
                                by Alec22
                                By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer

By his own admission Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo can often have the sound of a broken record.

Each week, win or lose, rain or snow, no matter the circumstance, Spagnuolo squares his jaw, focuses on the task at hand and approaches every game the same way.

More than halfway into his rookie season as a head coach, Spagnuolo has never strayed from the team-first ethos he installed from the day he arrived in St. Louis way back in January.

In the face of plenty of adversity, Spagnuolo has uttered nary a discouraging word and anyone looking for a full-throated, raging outburst should look elsewhere. And a little prosperity hasn’t had the opposite effect, either as Spagnuolo hasn’t come close to any type of braggadocio.

“I have had my moments (of frustration),” Spagnuolo said. “But I think there’s a professional way to do it. I think everybody in this business should be respected for the jobs they have. I think any business is about respecting each other. I don’t see any reason to go off the cuff. I keep that to myself. Part of what we talk about as a team is being a poised team. You can’t be a poised team if the head coach isn’t poised.”

Regardless of the record, if there’s one thing that has remained constant in this first year under Spagnuolo’s guidance it’s his and his team’s uncanny knack to remain unfazed by any possible distractions.

Spagnuolo’s message reaches to the team, too. There have been no locker room or sideline blowups, only players staying relentlessly positive and focusing on the single goal of coming together as a team with the sole focus of finding ways to win football games.

“Being a guy who has been here with the Rams now going for five years,” safety Oshiomogho Atogwe said. “Some of the younger guys and some of the vets need to see loyalty and faithfulness from the guys that have already been here and that’s going to carry over throughout the locker room so you just build a team that is really focused on one goal and one purpose and being one.”

BUYING IN

At Spagnuolo’s initial news conference when he was introduced as the head coach, he made it clear the way he and general manager Billy Devaney wanted to build the team back into a winner.

Topping the list was finding a way to build a team that was all about team. A team that would fill the locker room with players that care as much about the guy next to them as they do themselves.

Spagnuolo put the Rams through a rigorous training camp that had them tackling in full pads from day one and continued to put the emphasis on building the team concept every day.

It was easy enough for the players to buy into the system then because they knew Spagnuolo’s impressive resume coming from winning programs in Philadelphia and New York.

“I think...
                                -11-04-2009, 11:32 AM
                              • mikhal5569
                                Probably The Best Article I've Read All Year
                                by mikhal5569
                                Spagnuolo has Rams on right track.

Don Banks. SI.com
                                First-year Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo has*team on right track - Don Banks - SI.com
                                ST. LOUIS -- One of my favorite things to do on an NFL training camp tour is to visit a team that features a rookie head coach, as the Rams do this year after hiring ex-Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo this offseason. Though I'm usually blowing through camp in a day or so, you can often learn a lot from watching those early days of a new regime, seeing whether or not the veterans on that team are buying what the new guy is selling, and seeing a first-time coach in the process of finding out who he can and can't count on.
                                True, trying to take an accurate temperature reading of an organization's new program after interviewing a handful of players for a matter of minutes is your basic snap judgment, writ large. It's far from foolproof. But sometimes it can be dead on.
                                For example, after stops at both the Falcons and Ravens training camps last summer, I came away believing that rookie head coaches Mike Smith and John Harbaugh both had a pretty good handle on what it was going to take to turn Atlanta and Baltimore around, and that they had already put the wheels in motion. It's not that I saw 11-5 seasons coming for both, far from it. But I did see two teams that were in the process of fully buying into Smith and Harbaugh's approaches, and I sensed it would pay dividends at some point.
                                In an inverse way, the same was true for the 2007 Falcons, who I also paid a camp visit to, in order to discover what the new Bobby Petrino era was all about in Atlanta. One day there and I had the feeling trouble was on way for the Birds that season, thanks largely to the degree of skepticism I heard coming from key Atlanta veterans. And you know how that story turned out: Petrino's rookie season was his only NFL season, as his 13-game tenure was a debacle of epic proportion.
                                All that said, I'm ready to make the call that Spagnuolo seems like the right man for the job that faces his downtrodden Rams. While their NFL-worst 5-27 record the past two years breeds a certain amount of willingness to follow anyone with a plan, the Rams convinced me that Spagnuolo has been pitch perfect so far in his make-over efforts in St. Louis.
                                "I was talking to someone in the locker room two days ago, and I said, 'He hasn't told us a lie yet,' '' Rams second-year defensive end Chris Long told me Thursday afternoon, after another two-a-day practice was in the books. "Everything he's said has been on point. I thought we bought into Spags the minute he walked in the door. I had never heard him talk or seen him before, but I knew where he had been, and that resume spoke for itself. On top of that, he's a man who treats people with respect, and when he speaks, guys listen and really embrace his notion of respecting team.''
                                Watching Spagnuolo work a practice is like watching...
                                -08-09-2009, 06:52 AM
                              • Rampingitup
                                Rams look to Rebound by Nick Wagoner
                                by Rampingitup
                                Rams Look to Rebound

By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer
                                Posted 15 hours ago

Comments:12

In a quiet and solemn locker room following Sunday’s loss to Baltimore, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo kept the message to his team as simple as possible.
                                There was nothing profound there, no deep, introspective Sun-Tzu philosophical speech, no Lombardi-esque rah rah speech.
                                No, it was a simple message delivered with the urgency that would be needed when your team just fell to 0-3 and you are doing your best to keep a season from slipping away.
                                “I told the team when you get in a situation like this as a football team, all you worry about is winning a game,” Spagnuolo said. “That’s it. You don’t worry about stats or any of that stuff; you just worry about winning a game. This particular year the next team on the schedule is Washington so that’s what we’ll focus on.”
                                In that message, Spagnuolo emphasized to his team that there is no reason to look at anything else right now. Three games into the season is way too soon to begin wondering about scenarios or playoff pictures or any of that kind of stuff.
                                Anything beyond what happens this week is of little to no importance. The task right now at 0-3 is to fix the myriad mistakes that have plagued the Rams in the first three weeks and go back to work.
                                As one of the team captains and the heart and soul of the team, running back Steven Jackson reiterated Spagnuolo’s message to his teammates and later to the media about focusing on the task at hand.
                                “The season is not lost,” Jackson said. “First things first, we need to get a W. I wouldn’t lie to you. We definitely need to get a W and we need to get one fast. It’s not because of a lack of work ethic. I can rest assure you that. I give you my word as the captain of this team. Guys are working hard. To be competitive, you have to show up each and every Sunday, you have to do the little things right. You can’t continue to come in each game making mistakes in the red zone, making mistakes on special teams and different areas of the game, especially when you play good teams like we have these first three weeks.”

Indeed, the Rams have faced three teams widely regarded to be among the league’s legitimate playoff contenders in the opening three weeks.
                                In the first two weeks against the Eagles and Giants, the Rams suffered double digits...
                                -09-27-2011, 07:02 AM
                              • Bralidore(RAMMODE)
                                Rams Learn Lessons for Future
                                by Bralidore(RAMMODE)
                                "For 16 weeks this year, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo has had a laser-like focus on one thing and one thing only: the next game.
                                That tunnel vision trickled down from Spagnuolo to the rest of the team and any discussion of something beyond the next contest was immediately dismissed upon mention.
                                When Spagnuolo woke up Monday morning, though, he was left with the sobering realization that there won’t be another game to plan for until the start of the 2010 season, months and months away.
                                “I wish we were getting ready to play another game,” Spagnuolo said. “I just want to play another game. When you lose, you crave and you hunger for the next opportunity to win. I talked about this a lot during the year. There’s nothing like being in a locker room of an NFL team after winning just because of everything that goes into it during the week and what the guys do together, just the craving for that feeling. Unfortunately, we will have to wait however many months that is to get that feeling again.”
                                So it is that Spagnuolo and the rest of the Rams have already turned the page on the 2009 season and begun their preparations for the next step. Those steps include preparing for the start of the free agent period, scouting and evaluating college prospects and then making the first selection in the 2010 NFL Draft.
                                But before any of that can happen, the Rams will review what happened in 2009 and glean as many lessons as possible from what happened to improve their performance on the field in 2010.
                                To each man in the Rams’ locker room, those lessons were different but the overlying theme remains the same.
                                “Through all of the adversity we went through, unless I am missing something, the team, there wasn’t anybody jumping ship, pointing fingers, going off the deep end and that is a credit to them,” Spagnuolo said. “To me, that is the biggest thing.”
                                Indeed, through the difficulties that inherently come with a 1-15 season, it would have been easy for any player or coach to go off the reservation and explode be it in the media, on the field or anywhere else.
                                Beyond that, though, even when the chips were down and the Rams were long-since removed from contention for the postseason, the team continued to fight and battle as though it were in the thick of the race for the playoffs.
                                While simply having a good attitude and remaining competitive when it’s tough won’t win you any games it is certainly a big part of the fabric of successful teams.
                                “I learned something about the guys on this team,” defensive end Chris Long said. “We don’t have any quitters. You see it every week on television. You watch teams and things aren’t going well and people quit sometimes. I don’t feel like we quit. We have to get the football ironed out. That’s execution and stuff like that but I don’t fault anybody for their heart or their...
                                -01-04-2010, 07:44 PM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Rams Keep Effort Up
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Rams Keep Effort Up
                                Monday, December 21, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer

As the ball came shooting out of the hands of Houston running back Arian Foster following a 13-yard catch and run, the eyes of rookie Rams defensive tackle Darell Scott immediately got large.

It was as though Scott was about to sit down to a big meal, which, coincidentally, was something he’d been physically unable to do even had he wanted to in the days leading up to Sunday’s 16-13 loss to the Texans.

Scott reacted immediately and hauled all of his 6’3, 312 pound frame as fast as it could go from near the line of scrimmage the 20 or so yards required to pounce on the ball.

Ultimately, Scott fell on it at the Rams’ 8 but the fact that Scott was well enough to chase it down at all was nothing short of a testament to the effort these Rams are still putting in despite the 1-13 record attached to their name.

“You talk about an effort play from a game that I don’t know if he even ate anything the three days before it,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “That was a pretty good indicator of what those guys have inside of them.”

Effort doesn’t amount to a whole heck of a lot in the NFL. In fact, it’s probably the minimum requirement for what it takes to win an NFL game. Most teams that find themselves playing into January start with effort as the baseline and build from there.

As with most things in life, when something goes wrong, the easy thing to do is give up, regardless of how well compensated you are or whatever prestige might go with a particular endeavor.

For the Rams, that opportunity to call it a day has presented itself time and again this season. Yet, for many reasons, they have refused to pack it in and go quietly into the offseason.

“That’s what I expressed to them in the locker room,” Spagnuolo said. “That means a great deal to me, the staff. I know it’s not easy especially for the vets. It’s not an easy thing to go through, not for any of us and yet they are able to dust themselves off, come back to work on Wednesday and get ready to play a game.”

While that hard work and effort has amounted to just one win and a whole lot of respect from Spagnuolo for the players, those efforts aren’t going completely unnoticed around the world of football.

To wit:

CBS analyst and former Steelers coach Bill Cowher on the Rams: “The Rams are playing hard every week, and that is a reflection of their coach. I've been watching film on them and they are playing hard. As coaches, we are judged on wins and losses, but at this time of year, you're tired and beat up, and if a team is still putting out a good effort it's a tribute to their coach.”

Or this excerpt from Sports Illustrated’s Peter King in his Monday Morning Quarterback column on cnnsi.com: “I love...
                                -12-22-2009, 06:23 PM
                              Working...
                              X