• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gado Is Planning To Rebound/Camp Notes

Gado is planning to rebound
    BY BILL COATS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/24/2009

Sunday's two-hour practice at Rams Park was beginning to wind down when defensive end Leonard Little apparently decided that he could fly. That's what it seemed like to Samkon Gado, anyway.

During 11-on-11 "team" drills, Little came barreling in, and Gado moved into position to pass block. Suddenly, the 6-foot-3, 267-pound Little took off, literally attempting to hurdle the 5-10 running back en route to the quarterback.

"It was pretty spectacular," said Gado, who rose up and caught Little in flight. "In a game, he would've jumped right over me."

At 34, Little is the second-oldest among the 80 players on the roster. "I thought to myself, 'How does he have the energy to do this in his 12th season?'" Gado said. "He said he took his Geritol this morning and was feeling pretty good."

Gado was feeling pretty good, too, after rushing for 93 yards, including a 77-yard touchdown run, Aug. 14 in the Rams' 23-20 preseason win over the New York Jets. That showing gave him a slight leg up in the three-man competition for the backup job behind Steven Jackson.

But as Gado pointed out afterward, three preseason outings remained. And No. 2 was far less satisfying for him. He mustered just 5 yards on 12 carries Friday night in a 20-13 loss to Atlanta. He also lost a fumble at the Falcons' 15-yard line late in the first half.

"It was tough all around," Gado said. "I made a few mistakes that I wish I could have back. But in the end, it's just the nature of the beast; you're going to have games like that.

"You put that one behind you and you prepare and plan to do better the next game. Thankfully we have another one coming up" Thursday in Cincinnati.

PUBLIC PRACTICES END

Although the regular-season opener is still three weeks away, training camp officially ended Sunday. That means that no more practices will be open to the public.

About 500 spectators showed up Sunday, and they were rewarded afterward with free Rams merchandise. Also, the entire squad walked over to the railing to sign autographs.

"I'd like to thank all the fans," rookie head coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "It's been 32 practices, and the people have come out to watch us. ... It really helps us, and we appreciate it. Looking forward, we appreciate all the support they'll give us."

PROGRESS FOR CARRIKER

Injured defensive tackle Adam Carriker took another step in his recovery, participating in individual drills for the first time since he sprained his ankle Aug. 7 in a scrimmage at Lindenwood University.

Wide receiver Donnie Avery, who broke a bone in his foot the same night, was supposed to be out four to six weeks. But he was sprinting at full speed Sunday.

"He ran pretty good," Spagnuolo observed. "He's champing at the bit. If he had his way, he'd be going right now. But we've gone this far; no sense in setting him back."

Wideout Tim Carter (groin) also did some running, but not at top speed.

After missing two days of practice and Friday's game, Alex Barron was back in his usual spot at left tackle. Adam Goldberg got most of the work on the right side, although rookie Jason Smith took a few snaps at both tackle spots with the first unit.

Running back Kenneth Darby sat out with what is believed to be a slight knee sprain. Also sidelined were quarterback Marc Bulger (finger), guard Jacob Bell (concussion) and wideout Brooks Foster (ankle).

RAM-BLINGS

Mark Setterstrom and John Greco again shared first-team snaps at left guard in Bell's absence. ... Wideout Sean Walker has joined the stable of potential kick returners. ... The Bengals also are 1-1 in the preseason.

Re: Gado Is Planning To Rebound/Camp Notes

I find the Avery situation interesting. Two weeks into what was called a 4-6 week injury, and he's sprinting?!

I hope Spags is pulling the old Scottie from Star Trek exaggerated repair time ploy in Bulger's case as well.

I could infer a lot of things from that surprising bit of news ranging from scary deja vu all over again(rushing player back due to need, player driving pace of rehab & fibbing to get back fast,etc) to wicked clever impressive psy-ops from a shrewd coach, testing his guys with a bit of exaggerated adversity when the score doesn't matter but changing how the team responds to pressure does.

I prefer the latter explanation,lol.

The results were obviously mixed. Collectively, not so good; the poor tackling,mental errors,etc, but would we have seen as much out of Robinson if he knew that he was merely filling in, rather than, as far as he knew, seriously auditioning for a starting role in the first few weeks of the regular season?

Did Spags just get a Ram to turn adversity into opportunity?

Then again,maybe it just means Donnie drank his milk as a kid & has quick-healin' bones.lol.

Fer cryin' out loud , is Incognito still on the team?!

Comment

I read somewhere that he broke a certain part of the foot that's not as serious as the part right above it. I know that doesn't help, but I think it was the fourth in line of whatever they're called, and the fifth in line is supposed to be the one that keeps you out the longest. So, this could account for the speedier recovery.

Comment

Okay, Avery feels good, but I'm not sure I would have given him the green light to sprint at full speed in practice. Foot injuries scare me and we need a healthy Avery for the entire season.

Comment

I think Gado will be fine, but man.. our current manifestation of the offensive line really struggled run blocking last game.

Comment

I'm concerned that Avery is going to rush himself back. He is so eager to get in there and not lose any ground to the other receivers, he may end up hurting himself and this team even more.

Take your time. Don't screw yourself and the team by coming back too soon.
            The Rams... Where dreams go to die.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
              BY BILL COATS
              ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
              08/24/2009

PUBLIC PRACTICES END

About 500 spectators showed up Sunday, and they were rewarded afterward with free Rams merchandise. Also, the entire squad walked over to the railing to sign autographs.
              Please re-read that little blip..Is that awesome or what?! Boy I wish I was one of the lucky 500.

GO "YOU CLASSY" RAMS!
              sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                Rams Team Report - Aug 24
                by r8rh8rmike
                Rams Team Report
                Yahoo! Sports
                Aug 24, 4:19 am EDT

INSIDE SLANT

It seemed like just another transaction when the Rams acquired wide receiver Laurent Robinson(notes) in a trade with Atlanta before the draft.

The two teams swapped positions in the fifth and sixth rounds, and Robinson immediately began working to prove to the Falcons they made a mistake by giving up on him.

Last Friday night, Robinson caught five passes for 65 yards against his former team, and appears to be a lock to start when the season opens Sept. 13 in Seattle.

Robinson opened OTAs as the No. 3 receiver, then moved up to the first unit when Keenan Burton(notes) suffered a hamstring injury. He opened camp as a starter, and with Donnie Avery(notes) sidelined by a broken bone in his foot, Robinson has become the go-to receiver for both Marc Bulger(notes) and Kyle Boller(notes).

He had a 50-yard catch from Bulger in the first preseason game, and one for 25 yards from Boller in the second game. In two games, he has seven receptions for 117 yards and has been the target on 10 passes.

I feel good, Robinson said. Im just working hard every day in practice, going out there trying to be the best I can be every day, listening to the coach; I mean, and just being coachable and going out there and executing. The offense is great, Im very confident and comfortable in it, and hopefully I can just continue on in the regular season.

Its a great opportunity here for me. Hopefully I can just step right in, make some plays, and help the team win anyway I can whether thats by running, blocking, or catching the ball.

Robinson acknowledged struggling when he arrived in St. Louis, having to learn a new offense. But he didnt waste his time in the six weeks after OTAs ended, and training camp began.

I went home and I just trained and just got my confidence back, Robinson said, After the trade I guess I wasnt really all that focused. Now I got my focus back and my confidence up and Im ready to play.

Im just getting a lot more comfortable playing and making catches. In the OTAs I wasnt doing so well but now Im just a lot more comfortable and confident so things are going well for me.

Coach Steve Spagnuolo likes what he sees.

I see a competitive guy, Spagnuolo said. When he first got here in the spring like a lot of guys, he was feeling his way through. It was a new team, it was a new system, but I thought he played really well (Friday) night. It was easy to see that.

NOTES, QUOTES

Falcons running back Michael Turner(notes) picked up right where he left off against the Rams in the second preseason game. In the final game of the regular...
                -08-25-2009, 12:15 AM
              • r8rh8rmike
                With Opener Nearing, Wounded Rams Are Returning
                by r8rh8rmike
                08.28.2009 5:31 pm
                With opener nearing, wounded Rams are returning
                By Bill Coats
                St. Louis Post-Dispatch

As the regular season approaches, the St. Louis Rams are getting progressively healthier. It appears that they came out of Thursday nights game at Cincinnati with no major injuries, and several players who have been out for a while are getting close to a full return.

Wide receiver Tim Carter (groin) and running back Kenneth Darby (knee) played in the 24-21 victory over the Bengals despite not practicing all week. Wideout Donnie Avery (foot), defensive tackle Adam Carriker (ankle), guard Jacob Bell (concussion) and defensive end Leonard Little (knee) are expected to practice this week and could play Thursday night in the preseason finale vs. the Chiefs.

Also, coach Steve Spagnuolo reported that quarterback Marc Bulger (finger) will throw some this week, although he might not take snaps. Bulger probably will sit out Thursday.

The status of three players who were injured at Cincy wideout Keenan Burton (knee), safety Craig Dahl (hamstring) and cornerback Justin King (thumb) was not updated Friday. But none of the injuries is believed to be serious.

Notes & quotes:

The Rams have scored 40 points off nine turnovers in the three preseason games. During the entire regular season in 2008, the club produced just 45 points off turnovers.

RB Samkon Gado has a team-high 5.7-yard average on 23 carries. The two other primary contenders for the backup job behind Steven Jackson Antonio Pittman and Kenneth Darby are averaging 4.0 and 3.1 yards, respectively.

Rookie LB James Laurinaitis has come up with a takeaway in each of the last two games: an interception vs. the Falcons, then a fumble recovery vs. the Bengals.

Laurent Robinson is the clubs top receiver, with 10 catches for 137 yards.
                A total of 17 players have caught at least one pass.

Spagnuolo gave the players Saturday off. Practice resumes Sunday at Rams Park.

The first cuts must be made by Tuesday, although only five spots have to be trimmed off the 80-man camp roster. The final 22 cuts come just four days later.

All for now . . .
                -08-28-2009, 04:52 PM
              • MauiRam
                Gado's big game boosts stock with Rams ..
                by MauiRam
                Gado's big game boosts stock with Rams

AUG. 14, 2009 By Jim Thomas
                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                08/16/2009

In a crowded Rams backfield, Samkon Gado took some big steps Friday toward establishing himself as the No. 2 runner behind Steven Jackson. About 77 steps, actually.

Gado's 77-yard touchdown run early in the third quarter against the New York Jets was surprising on a couple of levels.

For one, most observers didn't think he was that fast. "That's not the first time I've heard that I don't know why," Gado said. "Several of my teammates said the same thing. But I've always known I was that fast. I just never really kind of had a chance to show it."

For another, how about that juke he put on Jets safety James Ihedigbo?

"I gave him an old move that my high school coach taught me called 'the double,' " Gado said.

When asked about the move, Gado said: "You can't describe it. You're just going to have to see it, I guess."

Suffice it to say "the double" was a shake-and-bake move by Gado, who looks bigger and burlier than his listed roster weight of 227 pounds. The move helped Gado record the Rams' longest run from scrimmage in exhibition play since the move to St. Louis in 1995 a period encompassing 58 games.

It also helped the Rams gain 193 yards on the ground, their best preseason total since a

202-yard rushing game against Indianapolis in the 2006 exhibition opener.

"It was a simple draw play that just kind of opened up," Gado said. "I thought I had a pretty nice run, about 10-15 yards, and I was thinking that's about as good as it was gonna be."

Until he left the defender seeing "double." All told, Gado finished with 93 yards on six carries Friday, moving the pile for extra yards on several plays.

When he wasn't teasing Gado about being the postgame center of media attention Friday at Giants Stadium, Jackson praised the fourth-year pro from Nigeria.

"I knew Sam was that fast," Jackson said.

Last week in practice, the running backs got into the habit of running all the way to the end zone after taking handoffs during "team" periods. The exercise is designed to stress finishing plays.

"And Sam shows a burst when he finishes runs in practice," Jackson said. "So it was no surprise to me, but I was impressed."

Jackson took note of the fact Gado's big run came after spending most of the first half playing fullback in place of Mike Karney, who dressed but didn't play because of an ankle injury.

Big run notwithstanding, Gado isn't ready to say he's running away from the competition behind Jackson.

"I don't think it says as much as it may...
                -08-16-2009, 12:23 PM
              • RamWraith
                Dad is on Darby's mind and arm
                by RamWraith
                By Jim Thomas
                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                Thursday, Nov. 06 2008
                The tattoo on running back Kenneth Darby's right biceps is fitting testament to
                what he went through during his senior season at Alabama.

It reads: Like Father, Like Son. In between the father and son lines are the
                wings of an angel.

Darby's father, Steve Woods, was diagnosed with cancer just before the start of
                the 2006 Crimson Tide football season. Mr. Woods died at age 59 in November of
                that year.

"I'm a strong faith guy," Darby said. "I know he's looking over me. He's
                watching."

Darby dedicates every game to his father. Trouble is, there haven't been many
                games for Darby in the NFL so far. After being drafted in the seventh round by
                Tampa Bay in 2007, Darby played in only one game for the Buccaneers. Since
                joining the Rams on Oct. 14, he has played in two games.

Other than that, he has spent time on practice squads in Tampa Bay and Atlanta.
                Although nothing is official, it looks very much like that's about to change.
                With the status of Steven Jackson (thigh), Antonio Pittman (hamstring), and
                Travis Minor (concussion) all shaky because of injuries, Darby could find
                himself starting Sunday against the New York Jets. Jackson didn't practice
                Wednesday, and coach Jim Haslett said Monday that if Jackson didn't participate
                fully in at least one practice this week he won't play Sunday.

Minor still hasn't been cleared to play. Pittman did some light running
                Wednesday but didn't practice.

"I'm thinking right now, Darby and Sam (Gado) are our two running backs,"
                Haslett said. "And then if the other three miraculously come around and play,
                then we'll be better for it. That's how I'm going into it."

Gado, was signed Tuesday and spent part of his first practice occasionally
                bumping into receivers and quarterback Marc Bulger as he took a crash course in
                the offense.

"He had a few problems," Haslett conceded Wednesday. "The guy just got here
                last night and had a two-hour meeting last night, and a two-hour meeting this
                morning, and you're going to go out and run everything."

On more than one occasion in practice Wednesday, Bulger could be seen telling
                Gado where to line up as the offense broke the huddle.

"The things I helped him with were maybe moving him in the backfield a little
                bit," Bulger said. "He went to the right place with getting the handoffs ...
                but we're going to have to keep his game plan even smaller than Darby's."

Compared to Gado, Darby is a grizzled Rams veteran. Wednesday marked his 10th
                practice with the team since getting signed off...
                -11-06-2008, 04:31 AM
              • Rambos
                Rams put work into the last cuts
                by Rambos
                09/05/2009

The lights at Rams Park were on late Friday night as the Rams' coaches, scouts and other personnel staffers labored to come up with a 53-man roster. They have until 3 p.m. today (St. Louis time) to complete the job.

Several NFL teams announced at least some of their final cuts Friday, but coach Steve Spagnuolo said he didn't expect the Rams to be finished until about noon today. "And don't hold me to that," he cautioned reporters.

The roster stood at 74 after Thursday night's 17-9 Governor's Cup win over Kansas City. The first-teamers were in for just two series, both on offense and defense, so Spagnuolo and Co. got a lengthy look at those players on the bubble.
                MORE RAMS
                SOUND OFF: Rams Talk forum
                2009 SCHEDULE: Team by team
                BLOG: Around The Horns
                CHATS: Jim Thomas Live
                P-D PHOTOS: Rams galleries
                P-D STORIES: Last 14 days of Rams coverage

Some 21 of them must go. "We could use two more preseason games to get it all figured out," Spagnuolo quipped, before adding: "We have what we have, and we have to evaluate based on that."

GADO'S STATUS UNCLEAR

Muddying the picture for the Rams' talent judges is the rib injury suffered by Samkon Gado late in the first quarter vs. the Chiefs. X-rays showed no fracture, but Gado has cartilage damage, which can be a significant problem for a running back.

Spagnuolo said Gado was day-to-day for now, but acknowledged that "we're not really a hundred percent sure where Sam is. You'd probably have to list him as questionable right now for the game (at Seattle on Sept. 13) until we get to (the practices) Monday and Wednesday and find out exactly where he is."

In the preseason, Gado clearly has outperformed Kenneth Darby and Antonio Pittman, the other primary contenders for the backup job behind Steven Jackson. Gado averaged 5.1 yards on 29 carries in the four games.

If it looks as if Gado will be sidelined for a substantial period, the Rams almost surely will be scrutinizing the waiver wire for another ballcarrier.

"You've got to have more than one back," Spagnuolo said. "Steven's a big guy and does a lot for us, but we're going to need to plug guys in there."

INJURY UPDATE

The injury to Gado and defensive tackle Adam Carriker, who according to league sources will undergo shoulder surgery, were the most serious Thursday. It was feared that defensive end Eric Moore broke his wrist, but X-rays were negative and it has been diagnosed as a sprain.

Also, safety Craig Dahl aggravated the hamstring that kept him out earlier, safety David Roach sustained heel and shoulder injuries, and cornerback Justin King had a mild knee sprain.

BREAK TIME

Beginning Friday, the players had three consecutive...
                -09-05-2009, 10:00 AM
              Working...
              X