Clear All
    No photos found.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
    Jim Thomas Chat - Sept 15
    by Nick
    cburn17: Jim,

Love the chats, thanks for the time! I love the rebuilding effort so far, the new regime has shown they are not shy about "cleaning house". Is the release of Chris Draft as much a surprise to the "insiders" as it was to me and/or the fans?

Also, in regards to Marc Bulger...its obvious he has to have a play better and regain his form to sustain a starting job in this league. However, considering the reputation of rew coaches in the NFL to want "their guy" under center, is Marc a lmae duck despite his performance? If he plays well, the Rams could leverage that as trade value, if he stinks it up....then they could justifiably release him in the off-season. I feel like this is something that is very likely to happen...any chance I am correct?

- Bert

Jim Thomas: The post-release spin out of Rams Park the Draft may have been only their 4th or 5th linebacker anyway. But if that was the case, why do you wait until Thursday to release the guy? But the were looking at Vobora long and hard throughout training camp and the preseason.

Good QBs are hard to find. If Bulger plays well, they'd be silly not to keep him around.

rams2050: Hi, Jim!

Seems like no matter who the Rams sign to the O-line, who they draft, or what configurations of players they use to open up holes for the running back or pass protect or pick up blitzes, these problems still loom as THE MAJOR problems for the team.

I can't believe that every single O-line player or combinations of O-line players are the sole reasons for such an ongoing, miserable onfield record.

Does Steve Loney ever get called on the carpet about his (apparent) failure to meld a cohesive line-up, one that works together in concert toward the same objectives, out of these guys?

I mean, what is it now? Four or five Loney years and counting?? How much more slack is this guy going to be given before he's held accountable?

I, for one, cannot believe the fault rests solely with the players.

Is Hanifan available?? Anyone else?

Jim Thomas: Wrong. Paul Boudreaux was the line coach in St. Louis in 2006-07. The line didn't play all that well, and he was fired by Linehan. The Falcons now have one of the best rushing teams in the NFL. I don't think the problem is coaching. This is Loney's second season with the club.

rams2050: To what do you attribute Steven Jackson's less-than-stellar efforts vs. Seattle this past Sunday?

Are he and the fullback/O-line still not fully in sync? Or is the O-line mainly to blame? What about the runs being called? They looked purely vanilla to me, but then I don't have the expert's eye that you have.

If you were the coach, how would YOU solve the running game's problems?...
    -09-16-2009, 08:40 AM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Jim Thomas Live - Aug. 31
    by r8rh8rmike
    Jim Thomas Live
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010

ramfandan: Hi Jim,
    I know the Rams are now in the southeast corner locker room at the Dome.
    Heard that one was refurbished for the team and the visiting teams now have the former one in the northeast corner.
    Have you seen the new one ? If so, any details ?
    Jim Thomas: Been in the new one after the Minnesota preseason opener. Wasn't done there all that long but it was nice and very spacious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gdarby: Hi Jim,

Thanks for the chat!

1. In order, Robinson,Amendola,Gilyard,Gibson,Alexander, with Kent and Gibson on the border line...does that look like the possible depth chart at WR?
    2. Vincent Jackson to the Rams? over/under on it happening?
    Jim Thomas: 1.) Robinson, Amendola, Gilyard look like the top three. Followed by Gibson and Burton in some order. And then I guess Kent. That makes six, but the Rams may only keep five. I kind of see Alexander on the practice squad. He's way behind and probably not 100 percent.

2.) Don't see it happening.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CROMWELL21: Hi Mr. Thomas:

Why the Hall Davis trade? Was he that bad? Seems like we traded a player of need for a depth player that was about to be cut and who we could claim on waivers any way? Why give up a conditional pick? Seems like a wasted pick on Davis and another on Morris?
    Jim Thomas: In my mind, when they were all healthy, I had Davis rated third behind the other two rookie DEs, Selvie and Sims. He didn't do much on the practice field. I know he had the two sacks against Cleveland. But made a lot of mental errors.

bradfordok1: Jim,

With Kroenke taking over, will he find a solution to the stadium issue and will the Rams be in St. Louis after the 2014 season?
    Jim Thomas: Well, that's the issue. And it's a question none of us can answer for certain. You can never say never. But I do think Kroenke seems committed to keeping the team in St. Louis, but he's also a shrewd businessman.

NORCAL-RAM, HELLO JIM: WITH THE LOSS OF DONNIE AVERY, DO YOU THINK THE RAMS HAVE ANY INTEREST IN TRY TO GET VINCENT JACKSON FROM SAN DIEGO, HE WOULD MAKE A GREAT TARGET FOR SAM BRADFORD AND IT WOULD OPEN UP THE PASSING GAME ALSO WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THE TRADE OF HALL DAVIS FOR DENNIS MORRIS, DO YOU THINK MORRIS MAKES THE 53 MAN ROSTER?
    Jim Thomas: For one, isn't Jackson serving a league suspension for the first 3 games of the season? So even if you got him, you're not going to see him until...
    -08-31-2010, 03:59 PM
  • RamWraith
    Jim Thomas Live
    by RamWraith
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 03:00 PM CDT

Ram-Man: Hey Jim,

The Ram's front office has to realize by now, that Jackson holds all the cards. They are only hurting themselves by not getting him signed. Not to mention, they are not being fait to Scott Linehan. Since SJ has ownership by the short hairs, why not just get this deal done. Is it just a matter of pride?

Could you send this message to Shaw and Zygmunt?
    I thought true professionals don't let their emotions get in the way of business. I.e.: "It's just business, nothing personal". Seems like a double standard to me. It's not like SJ is not worth the big bucks, since he is the best player on the field. If you want to give the Rams any chance of a decent season, get the deal done, and fast! Please! Do it for Georgia.
    Jim Thomas: The larger issue is this: The entire team is watching what happens here. Management cannot have the rest of the team think that holding out is an acceptable way of getting the kind of money you want in a contract. By saying come in and we'll continue to negotiate, they're subtle telling Jackson _ we're willing to pay you more money. It's not as if $50 million over seven years was an insulting offer. Thus the stalemate continues.
    Steve B: Hi Jim

If Steven Jackson holds out past this week, do the Rams need to look at bringing in a veteran like Shawn Alexander? Can Jackson get ready for the regular season with such little work in a new offense?
    Jim Thomas: No matter how great of shape Jackson is in, there is no way, shape, or form Jackson will be able to have a full workload on opening day even if he came in today. And once this week passes, it will be problematical whether Jackson can even play in the opener. Beyond the physical, there's the mental. I know this is a running back friendly offense, but it's also a voluminous offense. There's a lot of stuff to cover.
    Albert Nunes: Jim,

I have heard little on Adam Carriker progress to date. Do you have any feed back on him so far this year ?
    Jim Thomas: You know I haven't talked to Adam yet. But plan to in the near future. He has looked good on the practice field, but hasn't done much in games.
    Buzz: Jim,
    How has Dustin Fry looked thus far? What are his chances of making the team after the latest O-line injuries? Thanks.
    Jim Thomas: He's still a longshot. Here's why: You've got your five starters. Let's assume for the sake of argument that Romberg is the starting center. But Leckey makes the team. Goldberg makes the team. Greco makes the team. That's 8 o-linemen. The Rams probably keep nine. So then it comes down to Fry vs. Schuening. And Schuening, keep in mind, is a Devaney draft pick.
    TUG MAGRAW: Hey Jeff,

What are the chances of Reche Caldwell making the roster for the Rams this year?
    Jim Thomas: Right now, I can't see...
    -08-20-2008, 04:30 AM
  • MauiRam
    Transcript of the weekly chat with Rams beat writer Jim Thomas ..
    by MauiRam
    BY JIM THOMAS | Posted: Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:40 pm

Ram Quixote: Gotta ask: What was the deal with the taunting penalty on Amendola? I've seen him spin the ball after catches before and nothing was called. Strange coincidence, but when he spun the ball, I was wondering what would happen if the spin went out of control and thought, "maybe he shouldn't do that or he'll cause a delay of game penalty."

But taunting? Outrageous.

Did you notice on his next catch he picked up the ball, ran over and handed it to the ref? I wonder if that was the ref who threw the flag?

Jim Thomas: I guess by the letter of the law, it was taunting. But if you're going to call taunting so close, then maybe you should've flagged the defender who rode Amendola several feet out of bounds for unceccessary roughness. To me, the officiating in the NFL is an inconsistent as ever.
    Alchemistical: Jim,

How do you see the depth chart shaking out once all the receivers (especially Laurent Robinson) are healthy again? Has Gibson done enough to unseat Robinson as the #2? I realize the guys outside of Clayton and Amendola are probably interchangeable at this point, but how close does this look?:

1. Clayton
    2. Gibson
    3. Amendola (only "ahead" of Robinson because he's the slot receiver)
    4. Robinson
    5. Gilyard

Thanks

Jim Thomas: It's hard to disagree with your order at this point. But I don't know if there's any guarantee that Robinson will be healthy this week. Gibson has shown some quickness and separation skills. If he wants to stay in this league, however, he has to reduce the number of dropped passes.
    howboutrams1: Jim, with the last two home victories, do you get a sense that Rams fan base is once again interested in Rams football and sell-outs will not be a problem?

Jim Thomas: Well the TV rating continue to be high, the highest levels we've seen since the start of the 2006 season. But there are still a lot of tickets left for the five remaining home games. When a team goes through a 6-44 stretch like the Rams did, I it takes more than a couple of victories to get fans back into the stands. But there's no doubt the team is progressing and much more interesting to watch. And for fans that haven't been do the dome in a while, the game-day atmosphere is much better.
    aussie_ramfan: JT, must be nice to be following a decent side again.

will robinson come back in as the starter? Or has gibson done enough to keep the job? A split of the duty? Who at reciever would be "down" in that case?

Also, thoughts on Thad Lewis? Does he get a spot back on the 53-man roster after Hoomanawanui gets back and D. Johnson inevitably gets cut? Or is there someone else the rams are more likely to promote?

Cheers.

Jim Thomas: See earlier...
    -10-06-2010, 09:51 AM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Jim Thomas Live - Aug 9
    by r8rh8rmike
    Jim Thomas Live

Rams writer Jim Thomas goes one-on-one with readers at 1 p.m. Tuesday in a live chat.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011

leonard van valey: Like the experience being brought in...but... so much of it? In a couple of years won't this team be long in the tooth? What's the average age of the team now compared with other teams in the league? Still...it looks like they are serious about having a winning season with the acquisition of these experienced players of proven ability.

Jim Thomas: Remember, 8 of the 11 free agents signed so far are one-year deals. So there's no guarantee how many of them will be back in 2012. Of the 11 outside veteran free agents, Diles is 26, Sims-Walker is 26, Ojinnakao is 27, Norwood just turned 28, Muir is 28, Williams is 29, Dahl just turned 30, Mikell is 30, Poppinga is 31, Bannan is 32, and Harris is 36. So they're spread out kind of all over the spectrum. But I think your overall point is valid. But the sheer number of free agents signed the Rams are trying to get over the hump in terms of at least making the playoffs.

dominic zappia: Hey Jim:
    1)With the 3 big payouts this year for Bradford,Smith and Long,does this mean the Rams will have more money next year under the cap?
    2)With Murphys injury,who are we looking at for a replacement from free agency or within? Sorry,King doesnt impress me.
    3)Who has impressed you so far at camp?
    Thank you...

Jim Thomas: 1.) Not really. Because of escalators and incentives, Bradford, Smith and Long will have high cap counts for basically the rest of their contracts.
    2.) The Rams are looking, but there's not a ton out there now.
    3.) Give me another week. I missed 3 1/2 days of practice/scrimmage while I was in Canton.

Kyle Cooksey: Curious how you think Joe West (18) is looking in the fight for a spot as a WR. I noticed he's on the 2nd offense and gets a good amount of routes and is fairly consistent. Also noticed he is on all the special-teams, maybe because of his speed?

Jim Thomas: I think he's running with the seconds mainly because of injuries (Avery, Alexander, Salas). But he could be a practice squad guy.

Greg: Hi Jim,

Thanks for the chat.

Has Quinn lived up to the expectations so far in camp/scrimmage?

I saw him beat Saffold nicely in a drill this last friday, and from what I heard he was all over the backfield in the scrimmage at lindenwood.

Does he bring instant pass rush to the Rams front four even though he's still unpolished? Will the coaching...
    -08-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Working...
X