• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB Tye Hill Ready For Life As An Atlanta Facon

09.02.2009 10:17 am
    CB Tye Hill ready for life as an Atlanta Falcon
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

At 8 a.m., Tuesday, cornerback Tye Hill was a Ram, sitting in a meeting room in Earth City, getting ready for Thursday’s preseason finale against Kansas City. Less than eight hours later, he was in Atlanta, taking a physical, and getting ready for his new career as a Falcon.

“It was definitely a surprise,” Hill told the Post-Dispatch Tuesday night.

Hill’s morning at Rams Park was interrupted by a call to the office of coach Steve Spagnuolo. This time of year, such a summons normally isn’t a good thing. Obviously, it wasn’t this time, either.

“(Spagnuolo) told me the Rams are trying to build,” Hill said. “I can definitely see that. . . .They said they needed some picks. I understand that.”

In the case of the Hill trade, it turned out to be only one pick _ and a seventh-rounder at that. Which tells you the Rams probably were thinking of cutting Hill, and tried to get something for him. In keeping with Hill’s sunny-side-up personality, he took no parting shots as he left the Rams.

He liked the players, liked the new coaching staff, and had a lot of friends in the locker room.

“I wish nothing but the best for the Rams,” he said. “I’m going to miss my teammates. I’m going to miss St. Louis. I’ve got to move on.”

Hill departed so quickly Tuesday morning for Atlanta, he had time to say goodbye to only a few teammates.

“I’m going to miss those guys,” Hill said. “I think the Rams are going to be really good. Spags is the right guy for the job.”

Similarly, Hill had good things to say about Jonathan Wade, his probable successor.

“I think he’s going to be a good player for St. Louis,” Hill said. “He’s definitely come a long way.”

As of Tuesday night, Hill said he wasn’t familiar with what the Falcons had on their depth chart at the cornerback position. But he’s looking forward to the challenge, and excited about the opportunity to play only about two hours from his South Carolina home.

“That’s the biggest thing. I’m closer to home,” Hill said. “Now my family and friends can see me play. It’s always a great opportunity when you get a fresh start. Hopefully, it’s a good move for St. Louis. Definitely it’s a great move for me.”

Re: CB Tye Hill Ready For Life As An Atlanta Facon

It's too bad things didn't work out for Hill with the Rams, he's a classy guy. He'll probably have an uphill (no pun intended) battle in Atlanta, but I wish him nothing but the best.

Comment

Spags said he was one of the hardest workers on the team and constantly tried to perfect his craft. A change of scenery can often times have a dramatic impact on a players career. I wish him nothing but the best except when he plays the Rams.

Comment

Well he stunk it up in his time here, but he seems like a classy guy. Hopefully he's better for the Falcons and resurrects his career there.

Comment

I don't see him doing anything in Atlanta. I really was excited when we drafted him. What a Big Bust!

Comment

I hope he does well in Atlanta (not too well though, if went to a pro bowl that'd bum me out). Atlanta did the same thing last year, on 2nd Sept they traded a 7th round pick for Dominique Foxsworth, but they didn't retain him at the end of the season. Next year they'll probably trade for Michael Huff.

Comment

I wish Hill the best. Though I bad mouthed him a few times, I wish him nothing but the best.

Comment

I don't know if I can honestly say I wish him the best. Got nothing against him personally but it would suck so hard if he suddenly turned into an All-Pro now. Would prefer to see him continue to play at his present level actually

Comment

We passed on Cuttler and antonio cramartie? That sucks. draft grade, F- .:|

Comment

Antonio Cromartie had one anomalous season. He's crashed back down to Earth already.

Comment

good luck Afro Smurf..hope you do well enough to stay in the league but not well enough to make us regret letting ya go..
                      things didnt work out with the Rams but as a human being you are a whole lot more classy than the average NFL player.

Comment

I've always thought that he was a great guy but that he never could live up to his potential. Here's to hoping that he turns his career around and that he's right that Spags is right for our team. Good luck to Tye and go Rams!
                        I believe!:ram:

Comment

What's the best thing about Tye Hill? The words Atlanta and Falcons. Yea, he is a class act but the guy wasn't worth being picked that high. Geez, that sets you back years when you go Tye Hill and Adam Carriker back to back.

Comment

another huge bust

Comment

I wouldn't even be upset if he lit the world on fire in 'Hotlanta,' he's just another reminder of how the past personel burned this organization.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                                Rams Tye Hill: 'I Think I've Had My Share Of The Down Times'
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Rams Tye Hill: 'I think I've had my share of the down times'
                                Former top pick has endured two rough seasons
                                BY STEVE KORTE - News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS -- If any player on the St. Louis Rams could use a fresh start, it's cornerback and former first-round draft pick Tye Hill.

"I think I've had my share of the down times with the injuries and stuff like that,'' Hill said. "I definitely feel like that's behind me now. I'm ready to move on."

Hill had a promising rookie season after being the Rams' first-round draft choice in 2006, but he played in only 12 games over the past two seasons due to injuries.

Now healthy, Hill wants to prove he was worth that first-round pick.

"I'm looking forward to the future, and I'm looking forward to being that corner that the Rams drafted 15th overall in '06,'' Hill said.

Hill said his motivation goes beyond not wanting to be labeled as a draft bust.

"Of course I want to just because I was a first-round pick, but at the same time, I'm a competitor,'' Hill said. "I'm a football player, and this is all I've been doing all my life. If you don't have that desire to go out and to be what you think you are every Sunday or every day you're out at practice, then you don't need to be playing this game.''

A broken bone in his back caused Hill to miss the final eight games of the 2007 season, and a knee injury kept him on the shelf for the final 12 games of the 2008 season.

Hill was supposed to return in a couple of weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery to repair torn cartilage in his knee after Week 4 last season, but the injury lingered until the Rams finally placed him on injured reserve on Dec. 7.

"We didn't know what was going on until it was too late,'' Hill said. "The season was beyond gone by the time we found out what was really wrong with my knee.''

Hill said the real problem was a Baker's cyst in his knee.

"Initially it was a torn meniscus, and initially it's 4-6 six weeks ,'' Hill said. "But, I kept complaining of irritation in the back of my knee, which was not letting me run. Come to find out there was a big cyst back there.''

Hill had the cyst removed from his knee.

"All they really had to do was go in and take a cyst out,'' Hill said. "They just had to use an ultrasound and dig deep in it with a needle. It's nothing you want to go through, though."

Hill said the knee feels 100 percent.

"I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm definitely almost there,'' Hill said. "I just have to continue to work every day. I think my speed definitely came back, and that's one thing I'm really excited about.''

Hill is currently starting opposite Ron Bartell, although a line of young players...
                                -08-05-2009, 09:20 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Tye Hill will be going 'home' Sunday
                                by RamWraith
                                By Jim Thomas
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                11/17/2006

A few weeks into his rookie training camp, Tye Hill knew he wasn't ready to be a starting cornerback in the NFL and conceded as much. But that was late August.

It's mid-November, and things have changed.

"I feel like I'm playing good enough to start," Hill said. "I think I've grown over the course of the season. If I were to be named the starter at any time, definitely this would be the best time."

Hill has seen plenty of action this season as the Rams' fifth defensive back in the nickel package. He started twice in early October in place of the injured Fakhir Brown and started last week in Seattle because the Seahawks came out in a three-wide receiver set.

But this Sunday's start in Carolina could be his coming-out party. Barring injury, he will be the starter for the rest of the season — and well beyond. Travis Fisher, who started the first nine games at left corner, is out for the year with a fractured forearm. Fisher is scheduled for unrestricted free agency after this season and almost certainly has played his last game for the Rams.

It's Hill's turn now, and he says he's ready.

"I definitely didn't want to get the job the way I got it," Hill said. "But it's very important for me to go ahead and (establish) myself as the starter. Because right now, they need me."

Hill feels he's better equipped to handle a starting job than he was nearly six weeks ago when he replaced Brown.

"I've got a lot of experience under my belt playing against some good receivers," Hill said. "I actually know how to play now."

Which includes being more focused on the field, and being able to take coaching and translate it into performance. Hill is learning the importance of technique and consistency. In college, he didn't have to be perfect all the time. In the NFL, you do. Or you'll get burned sooner rather than later.

"Tye's gotten much better," coach Scott Linehan said. "He's more confident. He understands that he's got to stay within the scheme and not fall into any old habits, or rookie habits."

This certainly isn't the week to regress, not with Carolina wide receivers Steve Smith and Keyshawn Johnson staring him down Sunday.

Smith "is a playmaker," Hill said. "He goes and gets the ball. He doesn't wait for the ball to come to him. He's explosive."

And Johnson?

"He's the only receiver to go No. 1 (overall)," Hill said. "He's lived up to those expectations. He's a great receiver. He's a big body."

(Actually, Nebraska wide receiver Irving Fryar also went No. 1 overall, in 1984.)

The Panthers move their receivers around, depending on formation...
                                -11-17-2006, 04:24 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                Hill Adjusting Well
                                by RamWraith
                                Sunday, September 3, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer

Soon after signing his rookie contract cornerback Tye Hill proclaimed that he plans on going to the Pro Bowl within two years. But along the way through his first preseason, Hill realized that it’s a long distance to Hawaii.

As physically gifted and talented as Hill is, he knows he has to improve on the finer points of playing in the NFL. Although many expected Hill to start as a rookie, he will enter the regular season working exclusively in nickel and dime sub packages and as a backup to starters Travis Fisher and Fakhir Brown.

“I don’t deserve to start yet so I am not going to lie,” Hill said. “I have to get better. I have to get technique fundamentally sound. That’s the reason why a lot of corners that play 10-12 years, not because they were the fastest or strongest, but because they were technically sound.”

It’s easy to look at Hill’s measurables, such as his blazing speed in the 40-yard dash and impressive vertical leaping ability and think that it will automatically translate to performance on the field.

In fact, Hill was able to become a first-round pick at Clemson mostly because of his physical abilities. In making the leap to the NFL, Hill quickly found out that there’s more to covering elite wide receivers than running and jumping.

“In college it was so easy I could control my receiver and get back on top and run down the ball,” Hill said. “It’s a little different here. It is a little faster, but the guys, they do so many double moves and it’s like stopping and going, stopping and going. That’s the main thing. There aren’t too many people…I don’t think there’s really anybody that can run straight past me.”

When Hill arrived in St. Louis for his first minicamp, he admittedly was a bit star struck by some of the talent around him. Going to work and lining up across from the likes of star receivers Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce proved to be an eye-opening experience.

But Hill has worked past that.

“I am very comfortable,” Hill said. “As far as that, I see them as every-day guys now. Being able to work with those guys and for them to help me with my game get better is going to be really good for me in the long run. It’s going to help me mature faster, I think.”

After a short holdout to start camp, Hill arrived with plenty of expectations for himself. Once again, though, things didn’t go exactly as planned.

Hill struggled to catch up after missing four and a half days and six practices. In his first practice, he fared OK against some of the receivers lower on the depth chart, but was later turned inside out by Holt on a double move.

As camp continued, though, Hill continued to battle and, according to defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, Hill improved every day.

“Tye is fitting...
                                -09-03-2006, 02:59 PM
                              • txramsfan
                                Hill Working Hard to Return
                                by txramsfan
                                Hill Working Hard to Return
                                Saturday, April 4, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer

The majority of the Rams’ biggest offseason moves centered on their secondary.

In the cases of cornerback Ron Bartell and free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe that meant doing whatever it took to retain the talented young duo. The Rams did just that in signing Bartell to a long term contract and placing the franchise tag on Atogwe.

In the case of strong safety, the Rams pursued and signed talented young veteran James Butler to team up with Atogwe on the back end.

With three of those four positions solidified, the only remaining spot up for grabs is at the corner opposite Bartell. And though nothing has been settled or determined as to who will man that spot, there’s one option on the roster who began the process of staking his claim during this weekend’s minicamp: Tye Hill.

“I do believe I am the key component for us to be really good,” Hill said. “OJ and Bartell have proven themselves over these past few years and Butler did in New York. I feel like I am behind them. I have to catch up to their level; I have to be able to put this secondary over the top. I believe I can be that guy. All I have to do is just get healthy, continue to work hard and learn the scheme.”

As he prepares for his fourth season in the league, Hill is hoping to finally meet the expectations that came when the Rams made him the 15th pick in the 2006 NFL Draft.

Soon after that, Hill declared his intentions to make the Pro Bowl and become one of the leaders of the Rams’ defense. Not for a lack of talent, none of those desires have been fulfilled.

In fact, Hill’s biggest enemy has come down to nothing more than an inability to stay healthy.

“I never say it was a confidence thing because I never lost my confidence,” Hill said. “It was just one thing after another. It was just boom, boom, boom, get injured, get injured, get injured. I have got to stay away from these injuries.”

To that end, Hill has spent as much or more time than any Ram in the weight room in the offseason. While he’s not fully recovered from the knee injury that put him on the sidelines for almost all of last season, Hill is edging closer to 100 percent health.

“I don’t have any impressions from Tye from before,” defensive coordinator Ken Flajole said. “I know he has had some injury situations. We are just excited from the fact that he’s healthy and he’s out here working and he’s learning our defense. Just to have him out on the field is a great thing.”

Hill believes that by adding some weight to his 5’10 frame, he can avoid some of the injuries that have plagued him in the past three years.

When he entered the league, Hill said he weighed about 185 pounds. But in the time since, he says he had dipped as low as...
                                -04-04-2009, 04:16 PM
                              • Nick
                                With the 15th overall pick, the St. Louis Rams select Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
                                by Nick
                                Rams Hope Hill Will Tye Up Receivers
                                Saturday, April 29, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer

Over the course of the past two years, Rams receiver Torry Holt has become something of a draft expert.

So, when it came time for the team to make their first-round selection, No. 11 overall, it’s no surprise that the Rams listened to what Holt had to say when they selected Clemson cornerback Tye Hill.

“Torry, that’s interesting, that’s right, Torry did like Tye,” coach Scott Linehan said.

Of course, the Rams didn’t really allow Holt to make their pick for them and it was probably just a coincidence that the player the Rams chose was the one Holt had been stumping for in the media.

“Torry has influence all the time, but when it came to the pick, we were going to pick our best player, and Torry was going to be happy with whoever we picked,” Linehan said.

While Holt and the Rams were certainly pleased about the selection of Hill, nobody was more excited about becoming a Ram than Hill himself.

“It feels great to be a St. Louis Ram,” Hill said. “It’s where I wanted to go. Once I first visited, I felt very confident in those guys. I’m glad to be a St. Louis Ram.”

That feeling was more than mutual considering that the Rams had Hill ranked as one of the best defensive backs and players on their board. In fact, heading in to Sunday, Linehan said Hill was “right there” with Texas’ Michael Huff, who went seventh overall to Oakland.

The Rams had Hill in for a visit before the draft a couple of weeks ago in an opportunity to get to know him and let him know what would be expected of him. While Hill isn’t exactly the biggest corner in the draft (he’s 5’9, 185 pounds), he has speed to burn.

Hill ran one of the fastest 40-yard dashes at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, clocking in the 4.3s. But Hill says he can and has run it much faster. He claimed he ran a 4.15 his freshman year. Either way, one thing is for sure, Hill will instantly be one of the few corners on the team capable of keeping up with receiver Kevin Curtis in practice.

“He’s probably the best cover corner in the Draft,” Hill said. “Obviously, his speed jumps out at you and his ability to cover. He’s one of those guys that have a very infectious approach. He backs down to no one. That’s what I look at in a corner. The guy has a little bit of; I don’t know if it’s arrogance, but more confidence about his abilities, but not over the top.”

That confidence helped Hill accumulate five interceptions and 35 pass breakups in his time at Clemson. Those numbers might not blow you away, but they become even more impressive considering...
                                -04-29-2006, 11:35 AM
                              Working...
                              X