• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eldfan
    replied
    Re: RB's Foster, Russell Among 5 Players To Work Out For Rams

Originally posted by TekeRam View Post
    I guess the interesting things to gleam from this would be that we aren't working out receivers that have already been cut(signaling we're looking at ones that haven't been released yet, or David Tyree possibly), and the running backs that we are working out. I still think Dominic Rhodes would be our best option as a true #2 back. Maybe we just don't have the cap room for him.
    Yes I love that ideal of Rhodes I was thinking the same thing when he was let go.

Leave a comment:

• TekeRam
    replied
    Re: RB's Foster, Russell Among 5 Players To Work Out For Rams

I guess the interesting things to gleam from this would be that we aren't working out receivers that have already been cut(signaling we're looking at ones that haven't been released yet, or David Tyree possibly), and the running backs that we are working out. I still think Dominic Rhodes would be our best option as a true #2 back. Maybe we just don't have the cap room for him.

Leave a comment:

• RB's Foster, Russell Among 5 Players To Work Out For Rams

09.08.2009 1:39 pm
    RBs Foster, Russell among 5 players to work out for Rams
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Running backs DeShaun Foster and Gary Russell were among five players to work out for the St. Louis Rams on Tuesday at Rams Park. The group also included fullback-running back Carey Davis, a St. Louis native, and linebackers Tank Daniels and David Herron.

Like most NFL teams, the Rams routinely work out players on Tuesday once the regular season begins. General manager Billy Devaney indicated early Tuesday afternoon that no signing is imminent on any of the players. Foster, 29, originally was a second-round pick by Carolina in 2002. Foster rushed for 800 yards-plus in three consecutive seasons (2005-2007) with the Panthers. But his playing time and production dipped considerably last season for San Francisco, when he had only 234 yards on 76 carries for the *****.

He was released after the ‘08 season by San Francisco.

Russell, 5-11, 215 spent the ‘07 and ‘08 seasons with Pittsburgh, and was in Oakland’s camp this summer. The former University of Minnesota star has only 98 yards rushing with three touchdowns as an NFL player.

Davis, who played his high school ball for Hazelwood Central before attending the University of Illinois, started four games at fullback last season for the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

Among the linebackers, Daniels was in Philadelphia’s camp and Herron was in Minnesota’s this summer.

Devaney also indicated that the Rams weren’t interested in wide receiver Greg Lewis, recently released by New England.

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
    Rams' Talent Upgrade Is Showing
    by r8rh8rmike
    Rams' talent upgrade is showing

BY JIM THOMAS
    Monday, September 5, 2011

August 13, 2011 -- Rams quarterback Thaddeus Lewis is tackled by Indianapolis defensive tackle DeMario Pressley during a preseason game between the St. Louis Rams and the Indianapolis Colts. (Chris Lee / [email protected])
    It hasn't been the case for years, but suddenly Rams leftovers are appetizing to other NFL teams.

Quarterback Thaddeus Lewis (Cleveland Browns), wide receiver Mardy Gilyard (New York Jets) and defensive end George Selvie (Carolina Panthers) were claimed on waivers by other teams Sunday after being released a day earlier by St. Louis.

In addition, two veterans who were knocked out of the Rams' heated linebacker competition also found new homes. Na'il Diggs, who was released Aug. 29, signed Saturday with San Diego. Zac Diles, who was released Saturday, signed Sunday with Tampa Bay.

Back in the days when the team was going 1-15, 2-14, etc., getting cut by the Rams might be a career dead-end. Apparently, times are changing and the talent level on the roster is increasing.

"Well, yeah, that is a little bit different, isn't it?" general manager Billy Devaney said. "I guess that is kind of an indication (of better talent). We wish that wasn't the case on a couple of those guys."

That was particularly true with Lewis, whom the Rams hoped to sneak onto their practice squad once he cleared waivers. But the Browns, coached by former Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, had other ideas.

"We were hoping he wasn't claimed, but we fully understood that he played good enough in the preseason where I know he opened some people's eyes," Devaney said. "And Pat's certainly familiar with him in Cleveland."

After completing 23 of 32 passes, Lewis finished the preseason with a better completion percentage than starter Sam Bradford (71.9 percent to 57.4) and was only slightly behind Bradford in passer rating (96.6 to 97.1). Granted, Lewis was facing second- and third-stringers, but he did rally the Rams to a last-second victory against Tennessee and put 17 points on the board in the second half against Jacksonville.

The Browns liked Lewis enough that they decided to go with a third quarterback behind starter Colt McCoy and backup Seneca Wallace.

"We probably weren't going to go in that direction," Browns general manager Tom Heckert told reporters in Cleveland. "We probably were going to stick with two. Pat coached him. We talked about him last year. He's a very talented kid. He's very accurate."

It was never clear in St. Louis whether Lewis was competing with A.J. Feeley for the No. 2 spot or simply trying to convince the Rams through his play to keep three quarterbacks. But on a two-quarterback roster, Feeley's...
    -09-05-2011, 01:44 PM
  • MauiRam
    Brooks Foster ..
    by MauiRam
    Since it's the off-season, how about we take a gander at Brooks Foster?

St. Louis Rams Examiner
    Tim Klutsarits
    April 30, 1:29 PM

Most everyone knows the backgrounds of the top picks in the NFL Draft but where teams have long term success is getting production from later round picks. With the Rams having such a shallow talent pool they are in desperate need of having their later round picks produce immediately. This week we will look at all of the Rams later round draft picks. We have already looked at 3rd round pick Bradley Fletcher and 4th round pick Dorell Scott this week. Today we look at Rams 5th round pick Brooks Foster, wide receiver out of North Carolina.

WHY THE RAMS SHOULD HAVE DRAFTED FOSTER: The 6'1 211 lbs wide receiver from North Carolina is a tremendous athlete. On top of having good size and speed he is apparently a workout warrior. The North Carolina Tar Heels Examiner Brian Ernst says that Foster "is a beast in the weight room and has set most of UNC's lifting records, even those typically held by linebackers and lineman." On top of his workout acumen he was also a very good basketball player. He was a walk-on basketball player for the Tar Heels when they won the National Championship in St. Louis in 2005. So he does have some good history in the Edward Jones Dome.

WHY THE RAMS SHOULD NOT HAVE DRAFTED FOSTER: His production at North Carolina was nothing to write home about. Foster had 30 catches for 334 yards and 2 touchdowns in 2008. Part of the explanation for that was that UNC had two high end wide receivers on their roster in Hakeem Nicks (picked in the first round by the NY Giants) and Brandon Tate (who was selected in the third round by the Patriots). So there was a lot of talent at UNC but there is a lot of talent in the NFL too. Foster also has a history of knee problems. He had a knee injury at the end of the season and also had difficulties with his knee at the Senior Bowl. The other concern I have also comes from Brian Ernst who says "that he would make an unbelievably athletic catch and then drop a gimme." That is concerning to hear as well.

WHAT WILL MAKE THIS PICK A SUCCESS: This pick will be a success if Foster can get into the Rams offensive flow at some point in the season. I believe that if Foster could become a factor in the red zone on "jump ball" passes, creating mis-matches with smaller defensive backs that he could be a real asset. My assessment is that if Foster can somehow become a player that catches about 25-35 balls and rack up about 300-400 yards in the 2009 season then this would be a real get for Billy Devaney and the Rams.

WHAT WILL MAKE THIS PICK A DISASTER: The pick becomes a disaster if Foster cannot make it on a squad that currently has a three deep of Donnie Avery, Keenan Burton, and Derek Stanley. This is easily the easiest roster...
    -07-12-2009, 03:48 PM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Ex-Falcon Foster Likely Headed To Rams
    by r8rh8rmike
    Ex-Falcon Foster likely headed to Rams
    By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Offensive tackle Renardo Foster, who was released by the Falcons on Tuesday, appears headed to the St. Louis Rams.

St. Louis has placed a waiver claim for Foster, according to his agent Brian Ayrault.

Denver, Buffalo and Carolina were also reportedly interested in Foster.

The waiver period ends on Friday for Foster. Waiver claims are awarded to a team with the worst record.

The only team who could beat a claim from the Rams, who were 2-14 last season, would be the Detroit Lions, who were 0-16.

If the Lions don’t make a claim, the Rams will assume the last year of the two-year contract Foster signed in 2007.

Foster, 6-foot-7, 340-pounds, made the team as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2007. He started two games and played in seven under former coach Bobby Petrino before suffering a knee injury on Oct. 21, 2007 against New Orleans.
    -06-18-2009, 09:12 PM
  • MauiRam
    Draft Notebook .. St Louis Globe-Democrat
    by MauiRam
    By Steve Overbey

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Brian Westbrook, a former standout running back with the Philadelphia Eagles, took a physical with the Rams on Saturday.

Head coach Steve Spagnuolo, who previously was an assistant coach with the Eagles, cautioned reporters that Westbrook coming to town for the physical did not guarantee that he would be signing with the Rams.

"Brian is here just because we want to do the physical," Spagnuolo noted. "We want to do that part of it. But then we'll see where it goes from there. It’s way, way early in the stage."

The 30-year-old Westbrook, a former Pro Bowler, was released by Philadelphia in February. He suffered two concussions in 2009 and missed eight games because of the concussions and an ankle injury.

Westbrook has rushed for 5,995 yards on 1,308 carries in his career. He said last week that he does not plan to retire.

The Green Bay Packers, along with the Rams, are among the three or four teams that have shown interest in Westbrook.

The Rams did not select any running backs during the draft.

More new players: The Rams' work didn’t stop when the draft ended Saturday. The team reportedly agreed to terms with 11 undrafted free agents Saturday night. The list was unofficial, and nothing was announced by the team.

In a list compiled from various web sites and Twitter messages, the following players were said to have come to terms with the Rams:

Thaddeus Lewis, a quarterback from Duke; Brandon McRae, a wide receiver from Mississippi State; Simoni Lawrence, a linebacker from Minnesota; DeMaundray Woolridge, a running back from Idaho; Jimmy Jones, a safety from Idaho; Rod Owens, a wide receiver from Florida State; Jamie McCoy, a tight end from Texas A&M, Keith Toston, a running back from Oklahoma State; A.J. Jefferson, a cornerback from Fresno State; Adrian Davis, a defensive end from Arkansas, and Kennedy Tinsley, a linebacker-fullback from North Carolina.

In addition, running back Alex Henderson of Northern Arizona signed a tryout contract for the mini-camp with the Rams. Offensive lineman Nick Ekbatani from UCLA will be coming to town for a free-agent tryout, the university announced.

Rookie minicamp on tap: The Rams will hold their rookie camp this weekend. All of the players drafted the past few days will be present, in addition to the undrafted free agents. Coach Steve Spagnuolo said six non-rookies that don't have a credited season will also be at the minicamp.

Those players are believed to be defensive tackle Chris Bradwell, cornerback Marcus Brown, wide receivers Travis Brown and Nick Moore, tight end Eric Butler, guard Mark Lewis, tackles Ryan McKee and Eric Young, wide receiver/cornerback Cord Parks and quarterback Mike Reilly.

In advance of the camp, which...
    -04-25-2010, 02:03 PM
  • RamWraith
    Anthony Davis could be latest find for St. Louis Rams’ Billy Devaney
    by RamWraith
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Personnel chief Billy Devaney has shown a deft touch at spiffing up the Rams’ roster as the season has gone along. Among others, running back Kenneth Darby, cornerback Jason Craft and special-teamer Gary Stills have been nice additions. If Anthony Davis can regain the form that earned him the starting job at left tackle for Tampa Bay in 2005 and 2006, he might turn out to be a nice surprise, too.

Davis, 28, is 6-4 and 340. His ideal playing weight is probably around 325. The Virginia Tech product was released by the Buccaneers on Oct. 25 and signed by the Rams on Tuesday. The team figures to be targeting tackles in the offseason, so Davis has a chance to earn a job here.

“He’s played in the league and has done well in the league,” coach Jim Haslett said. “He tore a pectoral muscle this offseason, and he never really came around. That’s why he was available now. . . . (Running backs coach) Art Valero had him in Tampa, so that kind of helps us. He’s a great kid.”

The Bucs decided to move Davis to guard last year, and he was beaten out during training camp by rookie Arron Sears. Davis still doesn’t know why he was asked to change positions. “I have no clue,” he said. “I’d never played guard before that.”

Davis, who played in just four games in 2007, was pleased when Tampa Bay cut him loose. “I think it was best for both of us that I get released and they go on and do what they’ve got to do and I just get a fresh, new start somewhere,” he said.

He realizes that he has an opportunity to fill a void for the Rams. “I do,” he said. “The guys here, they welcomed me with open arms. You’ve got one of the best tackles in the game, in (Orlando) Pace, to learn from. I’m just taking it all one day at a time right now.”

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

*Marc Bulger, on the Rams being outscored 75-3 in their last two first halves: “You can’t explain it. Coach Haslett told us we had to come out strong, but we didn’t. It’s just a matter of us coming out and playing better, maybe getting a lead. Like he told us, we have to play 60 minutes. Before, our struggles were late in the game. Now, it’s early in the game. We just have to find a way to play two halves.”

*The team went back to work Wednesday after a strongly worded lecture from Haslett. “My message was, we’re going to go back to the way we played when we first got here,” Haslett said. “We need to pick it up, and we can’t worry about things. We can’t have two or three or five things go wrong in a quarter. The word was we need to get going and get out of this funk and start playing.”

*Asked why the Rams have been tackling so poorly, DE Leonard Little said: “That’s something I can’t explain as a player. You’ve been taught as a defensive player all your life to tackle,” he said. “You’re going...
    -11-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Working...
X