X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulgers Back - Kind Of

Bulger takes direct snaps in practice for first time since breaking pinkie
    Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger is taking direct snaps for the first time since breaking his right pinkie.

Bulger missed the last three preseason games after being injured in practice. In recent workouts, he had been working only out of the shotgun.

Bulger said last week he'd be ready for the opener Sunday at Seattle, and added he wouldn't use his injury as an excuse. The pinkie was taped for Wednesday's workout.

Bulger took several snaps from center Jason Brown off to the side before the team session began. New coach Steve Spagnuolo is closing practices after the first half-hour this week.

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
    Bulger Finally Takes Snaps At Center
    by r8rh8rmike
    09.09.2009 12:18 pm
    Bulger finally takes snaps under center
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

For the first time since breaking the little finger on his right hand 3 1/2 weeks ago, St. Louis Rams QB Marc Bulger moved under center and took snaps Wednesday at practice. That would seem to remove any lingering doubt over Bulger’s availability for Sunday’s regular-season opener at Seattle.

Rookie Jason Smith was lined up at right tackle with the first-team offense early in the workout (reporters were permitted to watch only the first 30 minutes).

Two players have switched numbers: running back Samkon Gado, to 35 from 38; and cornerback Cord Parks, to 23 from 42.

All for now . . . more later.
    -09-09-2009, 11:27 AM
  • r8rh8rmike
    St. Louis Rams Offense Back Together
    by r8rh8rmike
    St. Louis Rams offense back together

BY JIM THOMAS [email protected]

09/10/2009

Quarterback Marc Bulger took snaps under center for the first time in 3½ weeks. Rookie Jason Smith has been officially named the starting right tackle.

So for the first time since the start of training camp, the entire Rams offense — starters and key contributors — was in place and on the field Wednesday.

"We had a comment in the huddle today," tight end Randy McMichael said after practice. "It was like, 'Wow, we're all together again, finally, after a long layoff.' "

Just in time for opening day in Seattle.

"It was almost like: We're back," wide receiver Derek Stanley said. "It feels good. I think we've got big things coming up this year. Everybody's working hard, paying attention to the little things. Everybody's got that desire to win."

Smith's "promotion" was no great surprise. It had become increasingly obvious over the past week or so that the No. 2 overall draft pick from Baylor would open the regular season in the lineup.

"Obviously, it's a privilege to be able to say I'm going to (start) for the St. Louis Rams," Smith said. "The main thing is just proving myself and just being part of a great offensive line."

There was more uncertainty about Bulger and the broken little finger on his throwing hand. Bulger has thrown the ball well lately, but the final test was taking snaps under center. By all accounts, he passed that test Wednesday in practice.

"It went well, and I think we're where we want to be," Bulger said.

Although listed as limited participation on the team's official injury report, Bulger said he took part in every drill in practice. However, he didn't take 100 percent of the snaps in every drill.

"But it wasn't because of discomfort," Bulger said. "It was to keep Kyle (Boller) going. I was happy with the amount of reps I took."

So no discomfort?

"I wouldn't say no discomfort," Bulger said. "But it was bearable, and it's not going to affect whether I can get the ball (from center), which is a good thing."

Bulger confessed to some anxiety about taking his first snaps since the one from center Jason Brown on Aug. 17 resulted in the broken finger.

"Sure. I definitely lost some sleep over it," Bulger said. "You kind of worry that that first snap isn't going to go how you want it. You don't want to let your teammates down."

But 20 minutes into taking snaps during practice, Bulger said he felt confident again. "It was good to be back out practicing," he said.

From his, uh, end of things, Brown said everything went well...
    -09-10-2009, 03:11 PM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Rams QB Bulger Back At Practice After Injury
    by r8rh8rmike
    Rams QB Bulger back at practice after injury

EARTH CITY, Mo. (AP)—Rams quarterback Marc Bulger took the first step Sunday toward returning to the playing field.

Bulger, out since Aug. 17 after fracturing the pinky on his throwing hand, threw 21 passes in a side session at the morning practice. Coach Steve Spagnuolo didn’t watch the session, but said offensive coordinator Dick Curl was pleased with the performance.

“The plan is to see what it feels like tomorrow morning, after having had the 21 throws,” Spagnuolo said. “Then go from there.”

Spagnuolo also was noncommittal regarding Bulger’s status for the final preseason game Thursday against the Kansas City Chiefs. He has already missed the past two games.

“It all depends on where he is,” Spagnuolo said. “You’d like to build for Thursday, but if he’s not ready to we’re not going to.”

Bulger, who only speaks to the media on Wednesdays, didn’t take any snaps during Sunday’s session and is on target to start the opening game on Sept. 13 at Seattle. He fractured his pinky after taking a snap from center Jason Brown. X-rays were negative for a break and the injury didn’t require Bulger to wear a cast.

“He said it felt OK, but that’s all we had planned on doing just to see where he was,” Spagnuolo said.
    -08-30-2009, 03:06 PM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Bulger Not Ready To Discuss Future
    by r8rh8rmike
    Bulger not ready to discuss future
    BY JIM THOMAS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    11/28/2009

"Sure," Marc Bulger said, when asked if he'd like to be back with the Rams next season.

But that's as far as he cared to discuss that topic Friday, in his first comments since suffering a fractured shin bone in his left leg against Arizona.

"I don't even want to talk about that," Bulger said. "We're going to have plenty of time in the offseason to make those decisions around here. But we've got a quarter — or a third — of the season to go, and I don't want to be a distraction in any way that way."

The original prognosis was that Bulger would be sidelined for three to six weeks with the injury, which will not require surgery. With only six games to play, including Sunday's contest with Seattle at the Edward Jones Dome, there's no guarantee that Bulger will be healthy enough to play again in 2009. And that in turn prompted speculation that he may have taken his last snap at quarterback as a St. Louis Ram.
    "There's been a lot of numbers thrown out there on how long it's going to be (before the injury heals)," Bulger said. "It's been five days, I think, since I've done it. Only time will tell how long it's going to be."

Bulger said it might be another week or so before he has a better idea if he'll be able to play in '09.

"I'm just going to keep rehabbing — getting bone stem (treatment) and ice," Bulger said. "There's really not much you can do for it. But I'd love to come back and play a couple games."

Bulger hobbled into the locker room on one crutch Friday afternoon to meet with reporters. He hasn't been out on the practice field all week because the Rams' medical staff wants him off his feet for a while.

"I think the doctor said the first 10 days is important to keep any weight off of it, since it is a weight-bearing bone, to help the healing process," Bulger said.

But Bulger made every meeting this week and will continue to do so throughout the rehab and healing process.

"I'll still be in all the meetings, doing whatever I can to help Kyle (Boller)," Bulger said. "But he's been there, done that, so it's more I think to help Keith (Null) along. Hopefully, we don't have to use (Null), but I'll try to get him a little bit more ready."

Bulger may have originally suffered the injury two Sundays ago against New Orleans. He remembers coming out of that game with some soreness in the left knee area, but no real swelling.

"It wasn't anything visible," Bulger said. "We checked it out. You have sore knees every week, and I think when you check knees that's all you're looking for is ligaments. I never even thought in a million years that it could possibly...
    -11-28-2009, 12:43 PM
  • RamWraith
    Bulger has had injured ribs for a few weeks
    by RamWraith
    From Fanball

11/27 12:57 Rams: Bulger reveals rib injury
    The News
    Rams quarterback Marc Bulger left Sunday's win over the ***** for three plays just before halftime, with the given diagnosis being that he had the wind knocked out of him. Following the game, however, Bulger revealed that it was a bit more serious. "I've had a bruised rib," Bulger told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "And he [***** defensive end Bryant Young] got me right on the spot. So it pretty much knocked the wind out of me, and I couldn't breathe. I couldn't get up."

Our View
    Bulger added that he has been taking pain-killing shots for "three or four weeks in a row now" in order to play through the rib injury. While we admire his courage, we must also point out that Bulger's production has tailed off dramatically over the past month. Perhaps there's a correlation?
    -11-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Working...
X