Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Culberson back to replace Draft

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Culberson back to replace Draft

    The St. Louis Rams have released LB Chris Draft, the team announced today.
    “These decisions are never easy,” said General Manager Billy Devaney. “We thank Chris for his many contributions on and off the field. We are continually evaluating our roster and like every move we make we believe this is in the best interest of our team at this time.”
    Draft, 5-11, 234 pounds, has played 10 seasons in the NFL, the last two with the Rams. Draft played in 28 games with 16 starts for the Rams, totaling 95 tackles (66 solo) on defense and 19 tackles on special teams.
    Draft has played in 142 career games with 88 starts. He has registered 637 tackles (472 solo) for his career.

    The team re-signed linebacker Quinton Culberson to replace Draft on the roster.



    -Rams.com
    I believe!:ram:

  • #2
    Re: Culberson back to replace Draft

    I'd have to say that Draft is a better linebacker, but with potentially less upside as Culberson, plus he's more expensive. Guess we're going with potential and cost savings over reliability and cost.
    I believe!:ram:

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Culberson back to replace Draft

      Originally posted by TekeRam View Post
      I'd have to say that Draft is a better linebacker, but with potentially less upside as Culberson, plus he's more expensive. Guess we're going with potential and cost savings over reliability and cost.
      Yep, it's all about the future.

      And like others said in the other thread about Draft being released, if it was so detrimental to lose Chris Draft, then we wouldn't have released him.
      Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Culberson back to replace Draft

        I'm not to worried about this. Draft was getting to the age of diminished returns and Culberson is cheaper.

        Comment


        • #5
          Rebuilding and Downward Expectations

          With the latest moves (both in the initial 53 person roster and the release of Draft), I think the front office and the coaching staff is signaling heavily that there is a lot of rebuilding to be done and this is not a quick turnaround situation where you just shore up a position or two. They are completing overhauling the roster and putting in place youngsters who might not be ready but they will get experience and a good look at their performance.

          I for one am reducing my expectations for the record for this year. I was thinking 7-9, but now I'm thinking 5-11. I don't think these decision speak to maximizing performance for this year, but maximizing the speed of the turnaround for future years. I just don't think they view this team as a playoff team this year, so are making decisions for trying to get them there next year.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Culberson back to replace Draft

            I'd have to agree. We are definitely in rebuilding mode. By turning over much of the roster they have a much better chance of changing the culture of the team sooner than later. That is something that we desperately need and I think they are on the right track. Not to mention the youth movement and the potential that that may bring.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Culberson back to replace Draft

              Spags is cleaning house and putting his own team together.

              S. O. S.

              Spags Own Squad

              GO RAMS!
              sigpic :ram::helmet:

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Culberson back to replace Draft

                Maybe some of these moves will motivate players to play at a high level nobody job seems to be safe.
                :ramlogo:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Culberson back to replace Draft

                  This team has been in a rebuilding process, for years. It's underway in ernest now though. Consider: FA signings that reflect the younger capable player (ie Brown, Butler), the shedding of older players and they're salaries (case of diminishing returns for Pace, Holt <didn't include Bennett here, he never gave any returns>), and over all youth movement (Berlin gone in favor of Null), and hanging the helmets on the upside players (look at the roster).

                  Sure there is dead money on the roster right now. But it is pretty apperant that management is planning a rebuilding process over several years. That cap space will be available sooner now, and if your really not a playoff caliber team, why pay to keep them around. Cut bait now, catch fish later. Consolidate your talent, grow your young men and plan your next draft.

                  This is continuing to look like a difficult season. But next year.........that could be something different altogether.

                  Anyhow, that is what it's been looking like for me.
                  Semper Fi!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Rebuilding and Downward Expectations

                    Originally posted by ramhard View Post
                    With the latest moves (both in the initial 53 person roster and the release of Draft), I think the front office and the coaching staff is signaling heavily that there is a lot of rebuilding to be done and this is not a quick turnaround situation where you just shore up a position or two. They are completing overhauling the roster and putting in place youngsters who might not be ready but they will get experience and a good look at their performance.

                    I for one am reducing my expectations for the record for this year. I was thinking 7-9, but now I'm thinking 5-11. I don't think these decision speak to maximizing performance for this year, but maximizing the speed of the turnaround for future years. I just don't think they view this team as a playoff team this year, so are making decisions for trying to get them there next year.
                    You make some very good points. It certainly looks like some things are being sacrificed now to build for the future.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Culberson back to replace Draft

                      While QC has taken Draft's roster spot...for now, D'marco Farr,on espn 101 a few mins ago, seems to be convinced that Vobora will be starting vs the Hags. I was hopeful that QC would come on this off-season but it doesn't seem like there's a football judgement between the two being indicated by this move.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Culberson back to replace Draft

                        Man. That's weird to read. But this is a rebuilding year. I can't see Culberson starting there next year anyways...

                        Best of luck to Draft though. He had great character and made many contributions to the community. That is why I respect him dearly.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Culberson back to replace Draft

                          Originally posted by Mooselini View Post
                          Best of luck to Draft though. He had great character and made many contributions to the community. That is why I respect him dearly.
                          Yes, CD is good people. A leader. Undersized for a LB but a play maker (moreso in earlier years).

                          Out with the old and in with the new, ey? Sounds so cold but it's NFL reality too frequently... Let's welcome QC everyone!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Culberson back to replace Draft

                            I don't see a huge dropoff in talent from Draft to Culberson so it really isn't making a big difference to me. The Sam was a weakness before Draft was cut and is still a weakness right now though. Hopefully Quinton can do well though.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Culberson back to replace Draft

                              The only thing that worries me is Culberson went from being cut to being a starter. So he wasnt good enough to make the team the other day but now he's good enough to be the starter? That would be my only concern.
                              Aim high Willis, Aim High!

                              Comment

                              Loading...
                              Working...
                              X