X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Offers Delayed Broadcasts Of Blacked-Out Games

NFL offers delayed broadcasts of blacked-out games
    55 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP)—NFL fans whose local teams’ games are blacked out will be able to watch replays online for free—though not until after midnight.

The recession has left several teams in danger of having games blacked out this season, including the Cincinnati Bengals and Arizona Cardinals this week. The league announced Thursday that home fans will be able to view the delayed broadcasts on NFL.com for 72 hours, except during “Monday Night Football.”

A game is not aired in the home market if it does not sell out 72 hours in advance.

“We understand that the economy is limiting some families and corporations from buying as many game tickets as they had previously,” commissioner Roger Goodell said in a release.

The Bengals and Cardinals each received 24-hour extensions Thursday as the teams tried to sell out their openers and avoid blackouts. Cincinnati plays the Denver Broncos and Arizona faces the San Francisco *****.

The defending NFC champion Cardinals said they had about 1,700 tickets remaining. They have sold out all 34 games played at University of Phoenix Stadium, which opened in 2006. But last January the team needed two extensions from the league to sell out its first home playoff game in Arizona.

The Bengals are coming off a 4-11-1 season that left many fans disgruntled about the direction of the franchise, which has one winning season in the last 18 years. The last time Cincinnati failed to sell out a game was November 2003.

Re: NFL Offers Delayed Broadcasts Of Blacked-Out Games

Yay! I might not have to watch the Bungles game this weekend!
    I believe!:ram:

Comment

Anyone know if this is available to anyone or just local markets?

Comment

Originally posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
        Anyone know if this is available to anyone or just local markets?
        Since it's on NFL.com, I'd assume that it's both available to everyone and free. Just don't quote me on that!
        I believe!:ram:

Comment

Originally posted by TekeRam View Post
          Since it's on NFL.com, I'd assume that it's both available to everyone and free. Just don't quote me on that!
          Well here's to hoping every Rams game gets blacked out!

Comment

About damn time for at least lifting some of those ridiculous blackout restrictions. Hopefully this is step 1 to completely removing them. It only hurts already unpopular teams that can't sell out their games by depriving them of potential fans they could get from being on TV - as well as the income they must get from TV stations for broadcasting their games and advertising money from being on TV. And it hurts fans that either prefer to stay home or just cannot afford to go watch the game. I really doubt it results in more fans at the stadium either - either you want to go or you don't. They should try to make their product (i.e watching the game live in the stadium) more attractive instead of removing the alternative.

It has always amazed me how weird your sports are in America - you generally have a very free-market system - except for sports where it's exactly the opposite with a completely planned economy with strong players' unions, salary caps, drafts, blackouts and so on. Imagine if the general economy worked like that. Very strange, but I suppose that's the best way (or they believe it is) for the clubs to extract maximum money from fans or it wouldn't be like that.

Comment

Haven't seen any restrictions, so I'm assuming all the blacked-out games will be available on NFL.com after midnight.

FYI, from what I've heard, justin tv will stream every game throughout the year, LIVE. I watched a few games with it during the preseason and the video quality was okay, the audio was good. I won't be getting rid of Sunday Ticket, but for those who don't have it, justin tv has got to be better than nothing.

Comment

I'd also like to recommend NFL.com's Game Rewind. I'm not sure what the price is now, but I got a very affordable preseason deal for the season at $40.

They post every game online, commercial-free, on Tuesdays (I think). You can't watch it live, but it's better than nothing. You can also go back and watch any game throughout the season.

This is the first season I'll get to watch every single Rams game! Can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
                  About damn time for at least lifting some of those ridiculous blackout restrictions. Hopefully this is step 1 to completely removing them. It only hurts already unpopular teams that can't sell out their games by depriving them of potential fans they could get from being on TV - as well as the income they must get from TV stations for broadcasting their games and advertising money from being on TV. And it hurts fans that either prefer to stay home or just cannot afford to go watch the game. I really doubt it results in more fans at the stadium either - either you want to go or you don't. They should try to make their product (i.e watching the game live in the stadium) more attractive instead of removing the alternative.

It has always amazed me how weird your sports are in America - you generally have a very free-market system - except for sports where it's exactly the opposite with a completely planned economy with strong players' unions, salary caps, drafts, blackouts and so on. Imagine if the general economy worked like that. Very strange, but I suppose that's the best way (or they believe it is) for the clubs to extract maximum money from fans or it wouldn't be like that.

I couldn't agree more. The blackout rule is total crap. I have season tickets, so I'll see the games anyway. However, especially since the Rams have hit a rough patch, I think forcing people to buy tickets just to watch home games is such a backwards idea. I would think the best way to increase your fan base would be to make all the games available live. It's a sorry attempt to throw fans a bone. Hey, your game is blacked out live, but you can watch it.....after midnight.....and online....but not during Monday Night Football. This is insulting. I'm not afraid of technology, but I like to watch games on a tv, while sitting on a couch or comfy chair, not with a mouse and keyboard.
                  Last edited by Tony Banks; -09-10-2009, 08:46 PM. Reason: I thought of another point or two.

Comment

Roger Goodell is a crook and the NFL is greedy.

The economy is in the tank. Were in the worst recession in 20+ years and this is the way they treat the fans? Talk about screwing people over.

The blackout rule is in place because they think it will help sell tickets, but if you don't have the money to go, then you don't have the money. Plain and simple. You shouldn't be punished because you got laid off and/or have a family to support.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottD413 View Post
                      Roger Goodell is a crook
                      No he isn't .. He's a shrewd lawyer who is trying to maximize profits for his bosses - the owners.

Originally posted by ScottD413 View Post
                      and the NFL is greedy.
                      The NFL is a business after all, and the goal of businesses is to make a profit, the bigger the better. Depends on your definition of greed I guess .. Goodell's job probably isn't all that easy right now given the current state of the economy. Trying to maintain profitability for NFL owners while not killing the goose (we the fans) likely isn't an easy job right now - paritcularly when you factor into the equation that the owners can't agree among themselves over revenue sharing ..

Comment

I think the issue has more to do with the way revenue is shared throughout the NFL. In order to have a salary cap, which keeps the teams in smaller markets alive and competitive, revenue must be shared between teams. If NFL fans in the hard-hit city of Detroit buy enough tickets to sell out their stadium, and fans in Phoenix do not, then the people of Detroit are actually subsidizing football for them. Would it really be fair to ask the people of Detroit to finance the broadcast of Tards games for people in Phoenix?

Unpopular teams have many opportunities to become popular; most of them are simply ways for bad teams to start winning. If a team is in a market that cannot support it, there are many other US markets and football fans that can.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Wolfman85
                          Take on 4 Game packages
                          by Wolfman85
                          Hello Rams Fans,

I am a Bears Fans, but I am honestly not trying start trouble or stir up anything. I was just wondering what you guys make of the fact that the Rams are only offering the Bears game and the Dallas game as part of a 4 game package...at least initially. Now I know the Bears have done something similar with the Green Bay game in the past, making it part of a 2 game package with the other game being a pre-season game…and I also understand that other teams have done 2 game packages for certain games as well…but man, a 4-game package is pretty steep…at least from my point of view. What’s you’re guys take on this? Will this help the situation that occurred a few years ago...I was at that game too…

Btw, after hearing about package setup, I went ahead and got my tickets for the game from strubhub…not real happy about it, but what’s a guy to do…

Thanks and good luck with the season…minus November 23 that is…;)
                          -06-20-2008, 09:14 AM
                        • r8rh8rmike
                          Rams Try To Get Fans Off Couch, Into Dome
                          by r8rh8rmike
                          Rams try to get fans off couch, into dome

BY JIM THOMAS
                          Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Over the first four games of the season, local television ratings for the Rams were up 51 percent over 2009, the largest increase of any NFL team.

Even with a diminished rating in Sunday's Meltdown in Motown — a 44-6 loss in Detroit — the Rams' average rating of 24.1 is the team's highest figure through five games since Scott Linehan's first Rams squad started 4-1 in 2006.

(The ratings figure is the percentage of homes with a TV set in the St. Louis area watching the game.)

With another home game this weekend, the challenge remains translating that television interest into ticket sales at the Edward Jones Dome.

"How do we bridge that gap?" said Kevin Demoff, the Rams' executive vice president of football operations.

Demoff said between 5,000 and 7,500 tickets remain for each of the Rams' remaining five home games. Sunday's game against San Diego, the four-time defending AFC West champ, is in the 5,000 area of unsold tickets. So is the Dec. 19 contest with Show-Me State rival Kansas City.

The Dec. 26 contest with San Francisco is in the 7,500 area, with the Oct. 31 Carolina game and the Nov. 21 Atlanta game somewhere in between. The Carolina game features the Isaac Bruce jersey retirement ceremony, and even if that game is televised locally, Demoff points out the Bruce ceremony won't be shown on live TV. You have to be in the stands to see it.

The Rams used a combination of corporate sponsorship, buying up some unsold tickets themselves, and some giveaways and promotions to get the first three games of the season on local TV. Demoff said the team is hoping for a similar arrangement this week with the San Diego game.

"We're going to be proactive trying to get every game on TV any way we can," Demoff said.

With what so far has been a noticeably improved product, Detroit game notwithstanding, the Rams want to get as much exposure as possible for that product. But there's only so many times you can tap into corporate sponsors. And only so many times the Rams will buy up unsold tickets before games start getting blacked out.

"And it's going to be a challenge without mass ticket buying," Demoff said.

Group sales have picked up following the home victories against Washington and Seattle. But the needle isn't moving on single-game sales. During the preseason, when both Rams home games were blacked out, the team experienced a decent walkup crowd on game day. But that hasn't been the case during the regular season, probably because the three home games so far have been on local television.

"It's nobody's responsibility to fill the dome but the Rams'," Demoff said. "And I would never chastise fans for not showing...
                          -10-13-2010, 03:11 PM
                        • RamWraith
                          No Rams on TV: Team's sellout streak ends
                          by RamWraith
                          By Jim Thomas
                          ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                          12/21/2006

The home sellout streak is over for the Rams. For the first time since the franchise moved to St. Louis in 1995, a home game will not be televised locally.

The Rams did not reach NFL sellout requirements by noon Thursday, so Sunday’s final home game of the season against Washington will be blacked out to local fans, according to team officials. About 3,000 tickets remain for the contest, and neither the Rams nor Fox (Channel 2), which has the rights to televise the game, were willing to buy up the tickets.

Until Sunday, all 95 regular-season home games and all five home playoff games by the Rams had been televised locally.
                          -12-21-2006, 01:43 PM
                        • dgr828
                          Plenty of seating at The ED
                          by dgr828
                          The Spirit of Saint Louis seems to be lost at the EDWARD JONES DOME, as the Rams played hosts to the Atlanta Falcons, in the first home game of the 2009 preseason.

Its was shocking to see, during the TV broadcast of the game, that the upper level of the ED was basically empty and only a smattering of fans could be seen in the middle level sections.

Reports estimates the attendence at about roughly a little over 40,000 inside the Dome, which holds about 66,000.

One wonders if this is signs of things to come, Do the people of St Louis know something the rest of us don't? There has been much made in the off season of the inpending sale of this team. Maybe fans are too skeptical to get involved for a team that may possibly move out of town.

The Rams made plenty of upgrades to the Dome, this off season, (Love the new Jumbo Tron!) It's a shame and it cannot possible bid well for the future of this franchaise, if the appreciation is not shown for this team.

Maybe it's just Hard Economic times, fans are having a tough time scraping up some extra change to get tickets.
                          And when the product on the field is sub par, the effort made aquiring tickets is less of a priority.

A funny thing happened while I was watching the rebroadcast on the NFL Network this morning, I was shocked and amazed that during the first quarter I actually heard a pen drop!
                          -08-22-2009, 11:33 AM
                        • r8rh8rmike
                          Rams Home Opener? Packed
                          by r8rh8rmike
                          Rams home opener? Packed
                          By Bill Coats
                          ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                          09/23/2009

Even if the economy were bullish, the Rams would be facing a bear of a challenge to fill seats at the Edward Jones Dome. The team has lost 29 of its last 34 games — including 12 in a row — and fans are increasingly unwilling to dig deep into their pockets to support it.

Stadiums packed with energized, enthusiastic fans aren't a given in the NFL these days. League commissioner Roger Goodell recently estimated that 20 percent of this season's games could be blacked out on local television by not selling out.

The Rams won't reach that nadir, at least for the first week. The home opener on Sunday vs. Green Bay is only a few hundred tickets away from a sellout, thanks in large part to Green Bay fans who flock to other cities to watch the Packers because they can't get tickets at home.

The second home game, Oct. 4, vs. Minnesota, probably will fill the house, too, thanks to the presence of Vikings quarterback Brett Favre.

"We appreciate Mr. Favre's contribution," said Kevin Demoff, the Rams executive vice president of football operations.

After that, it's anyone's guess for the last six home games.

Demoff declined to say how many season tickets the club has sold for the season. "We have a very solid base, but it's not where we want it to be," he said.

As for the percentage of renewals they received, Demoff would say only that the Rams are "slightly above the league average," where renewals are down significantly. Jacksonville, for example, lost about 17,000 of its 42,000 season-ticket holders from last year.

"And we'll have other markets that'll have those challenges," Goodell told reporters earlier this month. "Our clubs have been working hard in the offseason to create other ways to try to get people in the stadiums."

For the Rams, that has meant not raising prices and overseeing $30 million in upgrades to the stadium, including high-tech scoreboards; new paint schemes and lighting intended to brighten the building; a large sports bar open to all; upgrades in the suite areas; and more high-end accommodations.

"Everything we've done this year has been driven by the fans," Demoff said. "From the changes at the dome to the changes on the field to the changes in the coaching staff … all have been focused on providing a better experience on the Sundays when our fans are in the dome."

Selling tickets wasn't always a problem. The team's first 100 games — regular season and playoffs — after moving to St. Louis from Los Angeles in 1995 were sold out. But at the end of the 2006 season, as the Rams were finishing up their third straight year without a winning record, the team failed to fill the house for a Christmas Eve...
                          -09-22-2009, 10:15 PM
                        Working...
                        X