The Start of the Sapgs era: The Good, the bad and the Ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Start of the Sapgs era: The Good, the bad and the Ugly

A new era in Rams football began today, but the results looked about the same as our last couple of years. There were some positives today, specifically the play of Laurianitis (14 tackles, 10 solo), but on the whole, the Rams were undisciplined and made many crucial errors that cost them any chance of winning this game. Lousy offensive line play and no functioning pass rush were certainly at fault today, but the key today was 10 penalties for 85 yards, including an inexcusable 12 men on the field penalty that negated the blocked field goal for a td that would have tied the game at 7 just before half.

The Good

Laurianitis performed very well. In addition to the 14 tackles, he also recovered a fumble. We have our middle linebacker for the next several years.
    Donnie Jones is just fantastic. What a weapon. 8 punts for a 50.8 average, two inside the 20, and one 60 yarder to the one yard line.
    OJ had an INT and a fumble recovery
    I thought wade played pretty well, especially given that we had no functional pass rush.
    Vrboda had 8 tackles and looked fine.
    Great blocked fg by ayu and runback by butler for the called back td

The Bad

Josh Brown missed an easy 37 yarder early in the game. No excuse.
    No pass rush at all.
    No functioning defense in the second half (see the 62 yard run and the 99 yard drive)
    Lousy offensive line play. If you look at the stats for jackson (67 yards) and bulger (191 yards) and take out the yardage in garbage time at the end, you will see that there was very very limited production out of the offense. We cant get the ball down the field as bulger will get killed (although bulger threw a nice ball in the first half that robinson couldnt pull down when it hit him directly on the shoulder pads)
    I have personally had it with incognito and his false starts and two personnel fouls. We arent even remotely good enough to give up yardage on stupid undisciplined penalties. I dont care anymore about his upset. This is a new era for the rams and i dont see cogs as a part of it.
    Why didnt spags go for the 52 yard field goal early on? Josh Brown should make that kick in those conditions 4 out of 5 times. Too conservative.

The ugly

12 men on the field costing us a td? Ugly, ugly, ugly.
    10 penalties (9 of which were in the first half when we had plenty of chances)
    2-12 on 3rd down is very ugly and it wont cut it.
    Allowing 8-15 on 3rd down to the other team is also ugly.
    Whats a ram game without at least one run of over 50 yards allowed (62 for a td)
    Less than 200 yards offense before garbage time at the very end
    Fumble on the opening kickoff return of the season? I dont see avery back there when he didnt do it all preseason. Too risky injury wise.

Bring on the Redskins, the Rams have a long long way to go. Its liikely to be a very long year.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Re: The Start of the Sapgs era: The Good, the bad and the Ugly

Likely going to be a long year indeed... sigh... here there is still watching the games for the love of the rams right?

Comment

Yes another long year, such the life of being a rams fan this will take time and it will be painful.
      :ramlogo:

Comment

Today was not a suprise, much like ESPN does on their pregame show let's look at who has the edge in the following categories:

OL-SEA
        DL-SEA
        WR-SEA
        TE-SEA
        WR-SEA

It all comes down to talent guys, and we do not have alot of it at this time, we need two years of good drafting and FA moves, but you have to love the fact that the guys didn't give up today like they did last year. Here's to next week!

Comment

Only positive thing we saw today was fight to the end....

Other than that...bleh

Comment

CG, your G / B / U bullets are accurate. Yes, unfortunately in a game like this 1st one ... the 'good' is plastered and trampled by the bad and the ugly little men of the mind.

That blocked FG that turned into a would-be TD for us, that could have been a real booster / turning point to go into halftime tied 7-7. ST Coach McMahon will be feeling that stinger for awhile.

The score too, zero points ... is too ugly for me to bare today.

Another GOOD: we are clearly in a rebuilding mode which I believe will really make this a considerably better team before this season ends. We have some good players (including a couple of good rookies), a good HC.

Another BAD: is it his style, is it the OL? I'm thinking of Jax' little side step or hesitation before hitting the line of scrimmage. This has been observed before. Hopefully it will not become another UGLY. We obviously cannot afford that.

Caramba! What we need is a couple of good wins NOW. :ram:

Comment

The fumble on the opening play could have serve as a metaphor for the entire game. The defense came out playing with some fire early, and there were a lot of times Hasselbeck was throwing into tight double coverage.The secondary looked good in the first half but apparently forgot to cover John Carlson in the second. The run defense was keeping Julius Jones in check until they had another one of those lapses that have become all too familiar to this team. Discounting J. Jones' 62-yarder, he averaged barely 3 yards/carry for the rest of the game. We just seemed to unravel out there.

Josh Brown missing a 37-yard field goal in no wind...when was the last time he did that in Seattle?

How exactly do you get 12 guys lined up on the special teams unit and not know it?

Samkon Gado is about the burliest kick returner I've seen in a long time.

Comment

GC, spot on as usual. It is going to be a long season, but I liked the fire on defense in the first half. Unfortunately, it was only one half, and we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot. This is usually the case when dealing with a young and inexperienced team. Hopefully the learning curve kicks in within a few weeks...

Comment

Offensive line play tops my list, I had high hopes, still very weak. Not making holes, letting guys have a free run at Marc. False starts, drive killing 15 yard un-sports-men.

Comment

Very Impressed with Laurenaitis. Once Josh missed that chippy, it was down hill from there for the Rams.
                    Someone's head needs to roll for the 12 men.....

Its was No Good, it's Too Bad it was such an Ugly day!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rambos View Post
                      Offensive line play tops my list, I had high hopes, still very weak. Not making holes, letting guys have a free run at Marc. False starts, drive killing 15 yard un-sports-men.
                      Everybody can blame the o line for run blocking but until the passing game gets going its going to be real hard for 5 guys to block 8 defenders. Seadogs pretty much stayed in rush defense the whole game. I think after this week the rams bring in fresh talent at wide receiver.

Comment

Everybody can blame the o line for run blocking but until the passing game gets going its going
                        Kinda hard to get the passing game going without a running game. I thought this team was built around SJ not Marc, these are the WR no more coming soon.

Comment

I was surprised that they did not try for a field goal early on also. 3pts would have been good to have.

Bad - Avery's fumble and holding call that killed a decent run. Zero sacks

Ugly = shutout
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maxxdigger View Post
                            Everybody can blame the o line for run blocking but until the passing game gets going its going to be real hard for 5 guys to block 8 defenders. Seadogs pretty much stayed in rush defense the whole game. I think after this week the rams bring in fresh talent at wide receiver.
                            Even when Bulger had time, it seemed like he just held on to it forever and eventually threw it away. Either he wasn't finding the open guy or nobody was open. One way or the other, we couldn't get much of anything going until the Seahawks went into a prevent defense at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambos View Post
                              Kinda hard to get the passing game going without a running game. I thought this team was built around SJ not Marc, these are the WR no more coming soon.
                              well than i guess the rams aren't running a west cost style offense than. Here is a little history on the west coast offense .

taken form the pages of sportingnews.com

By definition, the West Coast offense is characterized by short- and medium-range passing used as part of a ball-control attack. One of the things the offense does best is set up the deep pass, but the deep pass is not used as often in the West Coast as it is in many other offenses.

One big advantage of the West Coast offense is that it can help a team that doesn't run the ball well. Short, quick passes are the best way to deal with having a weak ground game, and a team can get away with running the ball only one time out of every four plays if it gains 7 or 8 yards per run. The running backs have to be able to catch the ball to play in the West Coast offense. In the ideal setup, the wide receivers would catch 15 passes a game, the running backs would catch 10 and the tight ends would catch five.

i guess that blew that whole argument out of the water

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• general counsel
                                Rams smashed by Cardinals 30-13; The Good, the Bad and the (plenty of) Ugly
                                by general counsel
                                The Rams were physically manhandled in the second half today by a tough Cardinals team in a 30-10 loss which wasn't quite as close as the score indicated. With the exception of one terrific long run by Tavon Austin, who was injured on the play, the Rams showed absolutely no pulse of any kind on offense after halftime, to the point where excluding a couple of passes in absolute garbage time, we actually achieved negative passing yardage in the second half and no running game either. Without Sammy,...
                                -12-10-2013, 01:36 PM
                              • general counsel
                                Rams smashed by Cardinals 30-13; The Good, the Bad and the (plenty of) Ugly
                                by general counsel
                                The Rams were physically manhandled in the second half today by a tough Cardinals team in a 30-10 loss which wasn't quite as close as the score indicated. With the exception of one terrific long run by Tavon Austin, who was injured on the play, the Rams showed absolutely no pulse of any kind on offense after halftime, to the point where excluding a couple of passes in absolute garbage time, we actually achieved negative passing yardage in the second half and no running game either. Without Sammy, the Rams are obviously not a team that is going to do particularly well when we can't run the game, and we are certainly not structured to come from behind with Clemens at the helm. Both of those issues were evident in the extreme today, and Clemens is probably lucky to escape with his life. His head will certainly filled with ugly dreams on Dansby and Abraham clobbering him into submission. We were officially eliminated from the playoffs today, something that was inevitable the day Sammy went down, but we are now playing for jobs and pride for the last three games of the season.

The Good

Best news of the day-Redskins get blown out.

Fantastic 56 yard run by Tavon Austin, showing moves, burst and speed.
                                Nice sack for Tree, who had 9 tackles (despite a big miss on a 21 yard run)
                                Hecker banged punts all day and leads the nfl in net kicking (although he did kick one from midfield into the end zone that he should have dropped around the 10)
                                Special teams did a very nice job containing Peterson on the punt returns.
                                Or run defense wasnt terrible at all (32 attempts for 107), although we continue to be plagued by missed tackles and our pass defense was a disgrace (see below)
                                The first half featured excellent pass protection and some nice throws by Clemens, who was 11-15-141 at half and was sacked only once as Arizona focused on cutting off the run. Clemens 102 rating in the first half was obviously NOT a foreshadowing of the debacle that happened after halftime.

Bailey had an excellent first half (3-46 and drawing an INT against him as well) before disappearing in the second half. He has to play regularly for the rest of the year. I really like his route running and he has very reliable hands.

Nice catches by Kendricks (15 yards for first down), Harkey (9 yards), Cook and Givens (21 yards, and an actual catch of a ball that hit him in the hands). All of these of course were in the first half.

Trumaine had a couple of nice tackles for losses on Fitz, at least when Fitz was not running wild in the secondary, looking like the second coming of Jerry Rice.

Janoris had a couple of nice pass breakups (he also had a couple of rough penalties called on him that looked very ticky tacky). He gave on several passes today, but didnt get beat deep (see below for commentary on the secondary in general).

Nice pass breakup by Laurinaitis...
                                -12-08-2013, 05:17 PM
                              • general counsel
                                Rams rally falls short in 34-28 loss to eagles; The Good, Bad and Ugly
                                by general counsel
                                A valiant 21 point comeback effort fell short today as the Rams could not overcome a plethora of self inflicted wounds in a 34-28 loss that just missed being a storybook ending for the ages. 10 penalties, a blocked punt for a TD, a qb sack fumble for a td, a qb sack fumble on the eagles 5 yard line and a 40 yard fumble return were the differences today. Once again, the Rams showed flashes of brilliance, along with flashes of unmitigated self-destructive incompetence, as they continue to struggle putting together an entire game of football. Now if you could take the first half of the Dallas game, combine it with the fourth quarter of the eagles game..... alas, it doesn't work that way.

The Good

There was a lot to like from Austin Davis today, especially once the offensive line decided to show up late in the 3rd quarter and pass protect. Sure, he made some suspect decisions, but thats what you expect from a young qb. 29-49-375 with 3tds, no int's and a 103.7 rating isn't bad for his third career start in a tough road environment. He showed some legs in addition to an arm (although he failed to run out of bounds instead sliding short of a first down) and botched the clock at the end (I can't believe fisher didnt call a timeout from the sideline), but at the end of the day, how can you not be encouraged by his performance? If Pettis makes the catch at the 25 yard line (a well thrown ball by the way), who knows how it ends. His decision making should continue to improve, but you could really see the confidence and leadership once he got into a rhythm (which coincided of course with the eagles backing off on the blitzing and the offensive line giving him some time)

Brian Quick is really coming into his own (5-87 2 tds and a HUGE catch to get us to midfield at the end of the game). He doesnt make all the plays yet, but there is real reason for optimism and everyone should be done complaining about the draft pick.

THe offense accounted for 466 yards and 33 minutes of time of possession. We ran fairly well (23-125 for a 5.4 average despite nothing longer than 14 yards) and i wish schotty had called more runs earlier to wear down the eagles defense. Granted a chunk of that was in what appeared to be garbage time, but given our historical offensive woes, i am not complaining about our ability to move the ball. It was the turnovers that killed us.

The defense (if you exclude the lack of pass rush and the terrible drive allowed right before halftime) was much better today, especially against a really good offense. We got off the field when we had to giving the offense a chance to win the game (although sproles killed us field position wise on the last drive and on the 3rd and 6 conversion).

I like gaines a lot. Great interception. I am not saying he is a star, but i think he is a quality contributing type corner for the future.

Nice play again...
                                -10-05-2014, 02:14 PM
                              • general counsel
                                Redskins beat Rams 9-7; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
                                by general counsel
                                Well friends, there is a pulse, but the Rams came up short today to the Redskins losing 9-7. Aided but some spectacular defense in the red zone (specifically inside the 10 yard line), the Rams followed the projected script for the season (Pound the Big Boy, shorten the game, and pray on defense) to perfection, only to see a costly fumble by donnie avery midway through the fourth quarter cost the Rams a first and goal inside the 5. The Rams fought hard all game, but lousy offensive line play continues to make it very tough for the Rams to get the ball down the field and create big plays and we have little or no ability to pressure the qb, making it really tough on the secondary, even on third and long.

The Good

Another nice game for Laurent Robinson. Great pickup for the Rams. Nice catch on a beautiful td throw by bulger at the goal line. 6 catches for 54 yards.
                                Terrific 58 yard run for Jackson, who wound up 17-104 and seemed to be picking up steam at the end. We were much more successful running in the second half as the game wore on. I was surprised that we didnt pound jackson twice at the end rather than trying the pass to robinson on 3rd and 2 when we were on the redskins 42 yard line.
                                Donnie Jones must have felt like it was a day off as he had only 4 punts for a 43.3 average , with one nice one inside the 20.
                                Bulger played with a lot of guts today, making some very tough throws under pressure. He had some drops (mcmichael and avery) which hurt him and we just dont have the protection to get the ball down the field. He checked off nicely time after time and wound up 15-28 125 yards and a td. Anyone miss ike and holt yet? Plenty of people will blame bulger again, but i dont personally see how. He moved nicely, didnt throw an INT (although he got lucky a couple of times) and got rid of the ball quickly to avoid the sacks. I am not suggesting he was great, but he isnt the problem. We need better offensive line play and better play from the receivers.
                                James Hall recorded the Rams first sack of the year. One total sack in two games and i think we only hit campbell a couple of times. Lack of pass rush is killing us.
                                We stopped the skins three times inside the 10 yard line to keep us in the game. Not a great game by the dline, but scoring is the name of the game and if we hold our opponents to 9 points a week, i am sure we will do better.
                                Nice fumble caused by bartell.
                                Two nice key catches by burton.

The Bad

Avery was AWFUL today. 1 catch for 4 yards (and he fumbled the ball on the five yard line after that catch which may have cost us the game). By my count, he had four drops, a fumble and a holding penalty. He dropped a pass on third down on the first series that was a little behind him but still hit him in the hands. He tries to run before he catches the ball which is obviously not good for a receiver.

Our pass rush...
                                -09-20-2009, 01:31 PM
                              • general counsel
                                Rams lose 27-24 heartbreacker to Bolts; The Good, Bad and Ugly
                                by general counsel
                                The Rams lost a real heartbreaker today in San Diego, fighting back from two late 10 point deficits to find themselves on the chargers four yard line with 2 plays to win the game and a chip shot field goal from overtime, before a game killing interception at the goal line destroyed our hopes for a second consecutive quality win. There was a lot to like today, but once again, too many self-inflicted wounds (turnovers, ineffective red zone play, blocked field goal, very costly penalties, including td nullifying errors, allowing the other team to score a td while we were on offense, and a disappointing second half performance on defense, especially on 3rd down) made the difference. The script remains the same. Great play in spurts, with dramatic and short term brain farts that knock the Rams out (allowing two td's in a little over a minute early in the second half and then turning it over at the goal line to end the game). Granted, we didnt get any help from the refs today, but the bottom line remains that we had every chance to win this game and our qb and offensive line play simply is not adequate when our defense is not pitching close to a shutout.

The Good

Janoris had a 99 yard INT return for a TD and caused a fumble that McLeod recovered.
                                Aaron Donald was great with 4 tackles, 2 for loss, a critical sack to give us a chance to win at the end (effectively, our only real stop of the 2nd half).
                                Bailey showed he belongs on the field today, with 7 catches for 89 yards, a td, and a superior catch for a td that was called back on a cook penalty.
                                Britt showed a lot of guts today and made a sensational catch to put us in position to win.
                                Our first half defense was terrific, holding them to 1-6 on 3rd down, although we were way too soft on the last drive before half making it too easy for them to drive into field goal range and that field proved costly.

Mason had some nice big runs (15-62) and a couple of nice runs after dump off catches, but rarely had holes to run through.
                                I guess you have to say its good that we kept the receivers in front of us and rivers didnt hurt us deep, but he ripped us up short (see the bad section).

Great runback by Tavon with the game on the line, one of the worst calls of the season by the refs on the block in the back (rhonde barber about went crazy on the call). Tavon also had a couple of nice runs (one for a td) on jet sweeps and drew a deep pass interference call. I still dont think we are doing enough to get him the ball.

Superior punt of around 60 yards by hekker to trap san diego at their own 5 after we cut the lead to three points, which didnt help much when they drove 95 yards for a td on us. Also, great throw again by hekker to bailey on the critical fake punt that lead to the drive that got us back into the game.

The Rams once again showed that they are going to fight to the death under...
                                -11-23-2014, 05:00 PM
                              Working...
                              X