We should have kicked the field goal to avoid a shutout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We should have kicked the field goal to avoid a shutout

i didn't agree with the call to go for it on fourth and goal in the 4th quarter. It would have been an easy 3 points to avoid the shutout.. down 28 points with 2 minutes to go.. the game is over.. I am at loss for words being shutout by the seahawks. Another long year....

Re: We should have kicked the field goal to avoid a shutout

I totally agree. I am typically very aggressive with my armchair coordinating. I almost always prefer going for it on 4th down when there is under 4-5 minutes in the games, etc... but getting shut-out is embarrassing. I was OK with 3 points at that point.

Once again, we are the joke of the NFL. If not for a couple great years with the GSOT, we were battling the Bengals for like 20 years of being the worst.

It even feels like our current status as a joke is actually hurting our past. As if it becomes more and more of a fluke that we won, the more we lose.

Fun stuff.

Comment

We were playing for the rest of the season at that point. Kicking the figgie is something Linebaka would have done because it is cheap, easy, and the defeatist way out. Going for a TD is essentially a message from Spags to the team that we will not stop fighting at any point this year.

That said, why the draw play on 3rd down. I thought we shredded Saunders' playbook.

Comment

Totally disagree. 3 points more, 3 points less is not going to change anything, and it wouldn't be the first time we get shutdown in the last 3 seasons, we should get use to it.
        Kick the FG would have been "pull a Linehan".
        I'd rather go for 4th, but actually score a TD instead . . .

Comment

Originally posted by PeoriaRam View Post
          We were playing for the rest of the season at that point. Kicking the figgie is something Linebaka would have done because it is cheap, easy, and the defeatist way out. Going for a TD is essentially a message from Spags to the team that we will not stop fighting at any point this year.
          Amen to that. I'd rather go down fighting and try to score a TD rather than kick a meaningless FG that pretty much says "uncle".

Comment

Look on the bright side, as far as wins/losses go, we are in 2nd place tie.

Comment

I don't agree. The kick would've given us three. Had we converted on 4th down for a touchdown, that would've motivated us to play a little harder.

Brown missed a field goal earlier in the game anyways...

Comment

Clearly a "damn if you do / damn if you don't" situation for Coach Spags. :o

But I feel that going for it on 4th down was far more meritorious than settling for a meaningless FG (other than the so-called "honor" of not being shut down). A 28-3 score is only relative in discrepancy with the way we ended losing yesterday.

Comment

A no brainer.

In that situation, you go for it. Do you really want the guys to kick a meaningless FG rather than show that you're still playing hard? So they didn't make it, they gave it their best shot, anything else was a sign of surrender, to me.

Comment

I feel like only scoring 3 points would be more embarrassing anyway. Dont really know why i feel like that but i do.

Comment

It would have been funny if the tried for it and Josh missed another one. Maybe they were saving the kicker for another day.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UtterBlitz View Post
                        It would have been funny if they tried for it and Josh missed another one. Maybe they were saving the kicker for another day.
                        Frankly, I think it would have also been funny if they tried for it and Josh made it good!

:ram: Redemption for Brown, maybe; but as a team it would have meant next to nothing at that point, i.e., 3 pointless points.

Comment

guy does shutout count as 2 loss in the loss column

Comment

good decision i didn't want them 3 points. at this point we need to get the offense started and end the red zone drought. oh well next game!
                            LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Comment

I find this as a really good discussion! (please ignore my team of choice as I am just looking at it from a football perspective!) At first I thought the FG to avoid the shutout would have been the best best choice, but now looking at it from the "never give up" theory I can more respect the going for it. I think Rams fans should embrace the never give up attitude that Spags is trying for and it should pay off in th end. I said it elsewhere that I expeced a pretty easy win this past week but it will be a serious dog fight in game 2 after wrinkles start getting ironed out in STL! It just takes a little time but I think STL will be back to 2nd in no time (ok that last part was homer!) ;)

Comment