All that matters...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All that matters...

I can't remember if it was NFL Live or NFL playbook that I was watching but they were reviewing the Rams game against New Orleans. They were commenting on the the pass/run ratio and all the stats that that argument entails.

I thought I knew where they were going with the conversation, anticipating an argument about getting Marshall and/or Jackson involved more and showing some semblance of balance on offense. Nothing new there, that's been debated quite a bit here so I was kind of scoffing at yet another watered down, generic analysis of the Rams by the multitude of shows out there.

But then they switched gears on me. Threw me a curve ball. Whatever you want to call it. They brought up the fact that the Colts started last weeks game with 22 consecutive pass plays and were at about 80% passes overall. Yet Tony Dungy didn't take any heat at all about it. Their reasoning? The Colts have Peyton Manning and the Rams...well, don't.

I've pretty much backed off of Bulger at this point. I think he's doing a pretty good job of running the offense and that the Rams' biggest problems lay elsewhere. I didn't realize that the Colts were that unbalanced and still successful though. The wins and losses would be hard to debate but the production out of the offense is something that's lacking. Although Bulger is putting up good numbers is he still to blame for the shortage of points? I don't know how good the Colts' O-line is but it's got to be the main difference. Manning isn't THAT much better than Bulger is he? Would Manning or Bulger do better if the two switched teams?

There isn't really an answer but it does make you think.

Re: All that matters...

You know Moklerman...I think you're onto something. Its not the offense thats lacking, its not Bulger...its not necessarilly Martz...its the team as a whole!!! Its been a tough two weeks for all of us, but, maybe in your Manning analysis, it provides a small ray of hope in understanding our shortcomongs, to a major degree its lack of execution (plus some coaching or lack thereof) as Nick has been saying all along! We should have won the last two games...we just had too many mistakes and penalties and didn't execute they way that we should have.

Comment

I guess that's the real question, how do you solve something like that? I've been watching the Giants this year, following you know who, and they went from a Super Bowl loss to the Ravens to 4-12 last year. In 3 years they completely fell apart. No discipline, turnovers, penalties, etc. They all caught up with the Giants last year. Has the head coach's effectiveness worn off? I mean, what is it that makes a team not respond to the coach any more? Is this the case for the Rams at this point? If it is, can Martz win them back? Scary questions with dark possibilities.

Comment

It's all about putting points on the board. The Colt offense (33.3 PPG) is able to make up for their poor defense (25 PPG) while the Ram offense (19.7 PPG) can't make up for their poor defense (24 PPG).

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• SwingOnDeez
          How to Beat the Colts
          by SwingOnDeez
          What I see for Monday Night is a next-to impossible situation for the Rams:

A solid offense and a poor defense (Rams)
          vs.
          A great offense and a solid defense (Colts)

I say "solid defense" for the Colts just to be safe. Some would say that the 29 points we've given up in 5 games means that we're far better on defense than merely "solid," but I'll be conservative.

So....

This game is not impossible for the Rams, just darn close.

In my humble estimation, the following must occur for the Rams to win:

1) The Rams must get ahead early and make the Colts come from behind. "Duh," you may say, but seriously, you can't play catch-up against the Colts. Our D is good enough to slow you down, and our running and short passing games are good enough to keep the clock running.

Furthermore, if you're behind, you must pass. Then Mr. Freeney comes to town. (FYI, Robert Mathis, our other speed rushing end has more sacks than Freeney). Getting yourselves into obvious passing situations is dangerous, because we have the best 4-man pass rush in the game. Bulger will have some passing yards, but they can't be in a comeback effort, or there's no hope.

2) Bring your defense up and force Peyton to beat you long. No one has done this yet, and Edge has eaten defenses alive. Everyone plays bump the WR's, then get BACK. No one seems to notice Peyton's problem of overthowing receivers on long routes. They see the Indy offense and the great WR's and think that you have to allow the short pass and the run to take away the deep ball. I'd send the house and make Peyton throw long. He can self-destruct.

3) Don't get forced into stupid turnovers. The Colts Defense is not the stiffling, pound you into the ground, iron monster that other successful defenses have been. The Colts have speed, and they force preventable turnovers. Take the sack, throw out of bounds, get down instead of risking a fumble. Our linebackers are STILL mediocre. Cato June has 2 INTS and 2 TD's. You can't tell me he's a Pro Bowler, but yet, offenses are making him look like he is. Granted, you have to take risks to beat a better team, but if Bulger can just get through the gae without throwing a stupid interception or putting the ball on the ground, he will GREATLY increase the Ram's chances.

4) Don't miss field goals. Enough Said.

5) Don't onside kick. The Titans and 49'ers thought this would be a good idea. It's not. All it does is tell your players, "Well boys, we have no chance of stopping them, so let's just throw in all our chips now and get out of here early."

6) Throw Deep. Particularly if one side of our secondary is Jason David and Mike Doss, we aren't a shut-down secondary. Why the hell haven't the 1st 5 teams thrown deep on these guys? Challenge them. They will screw...
          -10-16-2005, 06:25 PM
        • RamDez
          Powerful Rams' offense will reveal the real Colts' defense
          by RamDez

BY CHARLES BRICKER

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - (KRT) - No one knows better than Tony Dungy that his papier mache defense, which has given up only two touchdowns in the first five games, is going to come crashing down Monday night against the St. Louis Rams.
          That doesn't mean Dungy isn't going to coach Indianapolis to 6-0. There is a very good chance the Colts will remain the NFL's only undefeated team, playing an opponent that not only lacks adequate defense but which has an offensive line that can't consistently protect quarterback Marc Bulger.
          Still, this isn't the Ravens or Browns, to name two of the offensive stiffs the Colts have chewed up during the first third of the season.
          This is a Rams team that has three excellent receivers in Torry Holt, Shaun McDonald and Kevin Curtis even without injured Isaac Bruce. And Bulger, when he hasn't been on his backside, has completed 64.7 percent of his passes, 10 for touchdowns.
          The Rams are going to be scored upon, but they are going to score as well, and it wouldn't be surprising if the Colts slip away from this litmus test with a 38-34 victory that will surely put them in a more sober perspective.
          "We've played games where we knew we wouldn't be challenged and we wouldn't have to score a lot of points and could still win. This is a game where we're going to have to score some points," Dungy said.
          For those that don't understand the oblique language known as coach speak, what he's saying is, "The free ride is over."
          There was ample evidence of the fragility of the Colts' defense a week ago in San Francisco, where the Colts struggled for most of three quarters to knuckle under a very bad ***** team.
          If you're an apologist for the Colts, you can take a higher road by attributing key interceptions in that game to the great pressure that has been applied by defensive ends Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney, and by defensive tackle Montae Reagor in the middle.
          But if you examine this Indianapolis secondary with a sense of balance, it hasn't profited nearly enough by the pass rush. No one is sending cornerbacks Jason David and Nick Harper to the Pro Bowl and free safety Bob Sanders is questionable to play this game because of injury.
          Meanwhile, the Rams' problems have been well documented. Coach Mike Martz is trying to recover from a very serious viral infection attacking the lining of his heart and the play-calling has been turned over to offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild.
          Fairchild, if he's given complete authority, will probably run Steven Jackson more than 15 times, which is his average. He should, given the sloppy tackling the Colts exhibited against Barlow.
          But Bulger remains the key factor in the St. Louis offense. He's been sacked 20 times, and that has forced the Rams receivers into shorter routes. Also, he's very accurate and on a fast track in a...
          -10-16-2005, 01:57 AM
        • Will51
          Im Sorry To Say It But........
          by Will51
          Before i say this i am a die hard rams fan but this is what i really think

we really are not a good team and we really do not have a good OFFENSE, yes i said OFFENSE, i mean say what you will about stats but look at the colts, their defense is almost worse than ours and they give up more yards on the ground but they still win constantly, while our offense puts up good stats we still cant out score teams and we cant execute when we need to, our offense has the same type of players as the colts too (manning,bulger harrison,holt) i guarantee you if the chiefs would have scored 31 on the colts, the colts would have scored atleast 40, our offense is mediocre and it really cant help us win games, we need to fix our defense or we will be suffering a long time
          What do you think???
          -11-08-2006, 02:25 PM
        • RamWraith
          Friday Evening--Wagoner
          by RamWraith
          Friday, October 14, 2005

- This week's game, there are just so many things that are going into this one that it's hard to know where to start. I didn't get much of a chance to review the Seahawks game for obvious reasons, but let's just look ahead to this one.

- Sports Illustrated coverboy Dwight Freeney is one of the game's most dominant players, but he will be going head to head with another player that could fall in that category in Orlando Pace. Pace still gets a kick out of these types of challenges and should be up to the task. Can anyone completely stop Freeney? I'm not so sure about that, but he should be able to hold his own. Last week I made reference to Alex Barron facing Freeney, well obviously Freeney lines up over Pace, but my point was that I wouldn't be stunned to see Indianapolis send Freeney over Barron at least a few times.

- Not that the Colts are exactly lacking a pass rush from that side. Jerome Mathis is one of the breakout players that has made the Indianapolis defense one of the best in the league. Mathis is a tough draw for Barron. This is Barron's first regular season Monday night game and the spotlight will be shining brightly. He has done extremely well so far, but this should be a heck of a test considering the circumstances.

- It's amazing how the Colts have turned the defense around, but I'm not ready to crown them defenders of the universe yet, either. The list of opponents faced so far haven't exactly boasted the best offenses in the league. San Francisco, Cleveland and Baltimore, for example, don't pose much of a threat offensively. This will be the biggest test of the young season for this defense.

- The Rams' offense is second in the league in yards, but it absolutely must get off to a better start against this group. Because the Colts are so talented on both sides of the ball, a slow start could mean bad things for the Rams. For whatever reason, it takes the Rams time to get it going and that needs to come to an end.

- The Colts' defense will look awfully familiar. They run the old Cover 2, which was the scheme Tony Dungy employed in Tampa Bay. That defense was one of the most dominant in the league during Dungy's tenure and it often gave the Rams fits.

- That could, in theory, play into the Rams' hands, though. St. Louis has seen a lot of cover eight press defense this year, where the cornerbacks will carry the receivers to the safeties, who are lurking behind. In that defense, there are four defensive backs responsible for 25 percent of the field which is also known as "quarters." Those coverages appear to be Cover 2 on the surface, but in reality, it's a disguise and it has taken the Rams and quarterback Marc Bulger time to recognize it. At least this week the Rams should be able to know what to expect from this defense, making it easier to pick up on keys and make plays earlier in the game....
          -10-15-2005, 05:10 AM
        • ramhard
          Worse part was last 3 minutes - Defense
          by ramhard
          I think the worse part, and most telling part, of the game was the last 3 minutes. Yes, Indy is better, Bulger got hurt, the Rams were thin. But in the last three minutes when the Colts had their backups in, and everyone knew all they were trying to do was run out the clock, they ripped off runs of 11 and 12 yards!!!!!!!!

So that either means that the Rams have no heart on D and no pride, or that they are so poor at stopping the run that even when they know its coming they can't stop it.

Either way it is a death knell for a defensive team. Right then and there I gave up on the D getting better this year.
          -10-18-2005, 06:05 AM
        Working...
        X