Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams in D.C. Part II

Howdy, folks.

It's been a few months since I've dropped in to say hi. Been real busy around here. With the Rams coming to visit us for the second season in a row next week, I thought it would be a good time to reconnect.

So it looks like week one didn't go too swell for either of our squads. We had a decent showing defensively with some flashes on offense, but for the most part just couldn't get into any sort of rhythm and lost a hard-hitter against the Giants.

Then y`all..well, y`all just really seemed to like making the Zebras throw them flags. There were signs of cohesion there, but every time something looked like it was going to go your way..*makes poof motion with hands*.

But hey, it's a long season right? Week 2, new hope, new opportunities. Both teams go back to work this week trying to correct the failures of Sundays past. We'll work on disciplined tackling in the secondary, and somehow, some way try to get our QB comfortable. Y'all will work on smart execution of what you showed had the potential to be really good. And many laps will be run, and push-ups done as payment for all the yellow laundry that hit the turf over the weekend.

After this weekend one of us will be .500 and one will be staring at a 2 game hole to start the year. I'd say good luck, but I wouldn't mean it and I'm not a disingenuous person by nature. But here's to a good, hard fought game with no injuries. See you in D.C.

Re: Rams in D.C. Part II

Good post Slug! Good to see you round again.

Unfortunately I don't foresee us pulling off our upset in Washington for a second year in a row(which will make you happy, of course!), but I think that we're in for the same kind of hard hitting, exciting game that we had last year as well.

Both teams are going to play scrappy and fight tooth and nail for the first win of the season, but I just like your offense slightly better than ours when you put in the Hanesworth factor. Our offensive line got no push against Seattle's line and now we have to go up against an excellent DT tandem with Hanesworth and Griffin. Where we might make our push will be in the passing game, which hopefully will feature Jackson(no catches against Seattle, a crime!) out in open space, as well as Robinson and Avery against your overrated secondary(overrated mainly by Deangelo Hall himself). I expect Fletch to have another great game for you guys as well.

Our defense will be better and will get some stops and probably a pick or two against Campbell(who I really like, but I just think he's done in Washington, and it's not his fault! I think he really wants out of there anyway.), but I think that portis will also be able to find some running lanes and will grind out a victory against the Rams, but our MLB in Laurinaitis will do his best to match Fletcher tackle for tackle.

In the end I expect a lower scoring affair, maybe a 17 to 10 victory for the Skins, but it'll be a hard fought victory for whoever comes out on top.
    I believe!:ram:

Comment

Good Post Slug,

If we can stay focused for more than one play cough**Cogs**coughIt will be a great game, if we play like we did this past Sunday, It's gonna be a long Sunday. I more interested in the fact of how we play more than the win. If we play the whole game great then, there's hope for the season. If not top ten draft pic here we come.

Either way it turns out it's great to have positive visitors come and visit.

Comment

I'll be at the game this weekend supporting the good guys (not you, sorry) but I second your hope for a well-fought game with 0 injuries.

Comment

It's important for the Rams offense to stay out of the 3rd and 12 or just 3rd and long in general. Last week, the Rams were faced with several 2nd and 12 or more situations. This offense isn't built to dig out of holes like that.

The defense will play you tough. They just wore down some like any defense would last week when the Rams offense continued to shoot itself in the foot. However, it hasn't been proven yet that the Rams can play penalty free at critical situations of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
            I'll be at the game this weekend supporting the good guys (not you, sorry) but I second your hope for a well-fought game with 0 injuries.
            Hey, I'll be there too. I'm hoping to get there really early and hang out in the lot pre-game for some tailgating. Good times.

I'm feeling pretty good this week. We definitely didn't get the job done against the Giants, but there were a lot of positive takeaways from that game, so I'm hopeful that we can correct the few problems I did see. That said, I felt pretty good going into the game against you guys last season and we all know how that turned out.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
              Bulger and Jackons quotes November 14
              by RamWraith
              QB Marc Bulger

November 14, 2007

(On the improved performance of the offense in the last two games)

“I’d say a big part of that is Steven (Jackson). You can’t ignore the fact that when he’s in there good things happen. He just brings that energy we need in the huddle and if we can keep him healthy I think we’ll continue to get better and score more points.”

(On being more in sync with his receivers against New Orleans than any other game this year)

“I think just having that extra second to let them get open. Those guys know when I’m getting hit early that they have to break their routes off short and our timing gets off, but when they know I’m getting time and the line’s going, they can get that extra move and know that I can hold it and they can get that separation. There’s definitely more separation this week than in the past and I think that’s because of the line giving me more time.”

(On WR Drew Bennett)

“His health is good – that helps. We worked on that play in the end zone. We didn’t hook up earlier in the year. I threw an interception because I don’t think we were on the same page. We made a conscious effort to work on that. We got the matchup we wanted and it was just nice that we practiced it while the defense was going last week and it paid off. He did a good job on some deep routes, too, so if we can keep getting him going it’ll take some pressure off of Ike (Isaac Bruce) and Torry (Holt), too.”

(On the ***** pass rush)

“It’s a 3-4, which is a little different. They do like to blitz the inside guys a lot. I just don’t think we played well up front last time. I think would tell you that. We did get some big plays and threw for a lot of yards, but it was at the expense of getting me killed. We just have to do a better job up front of establishing a running game, which will help. I think our defense is playing better. If they can give us some good field position, that will help. If we play from behind, that hurts, too.”

(On being named NFC Offensive Player of the Week)

“When you’re a quarterback and you get it, it’s a whole offensive award. When receivers get it or a running backs gets it, it’s an individual thing. It’s not a big deal, it just shows that our line played well, our receivers played well, Steven played well. It’s a good thing for our offense.”

(On how you become a better team at this point in the season)

“Keep winning games. You hear college coaches and NFL coaches say how good of a team you are, but in this business it’s about winning and the bottom line. If you’re 1-8, you’re not a good team. If we can win a couple more games and get a more respectable record then I can say we’re a better team, but we’re still 1-8 and that’s a bad football...
              -11-14-2007, 05:11 PM
            • RamWraith
              Coach Scott Linehan September 22
              by RamWraith
              Head Coach Scott Linehan

September 22, 2008

(Opening remarks)

“Just one injury update, (RB) Antonio Pittman has a small crack in his fibula bone by his knee. He suffered it on a special teams play early in the game. It wasn’t a contact thing; it looked like he just twisted it. But it does look like he will be out for a bit, Dr. (Matt) Matara is thinking 4-6 weeks right now, so he will miss this week and the bye week and counting 4-6 weeks, there is probably some more games in there before he will be ready. We have a couple more guys that were out that hopefully will get back this week.”

(On the status of (T) Orlando Pace)

“He had a mild strain to his groin so we will see on Wednesday. I don’t think it will limit him, he said he felt pretty good today.”

(On who he expects will be ready to play after missing the game because of injuries)

“(G) Jacob Bell was close last week, he did more but it was still tight. We were hoping that he did not take a step back, he would be good to go. We are hopeful with (DE) Leonard Little, he made progress last week as well but that is it. None of the other guys like (WR) Drew (Bennett) or (WR) Keenan Burton, those other guys who had injuries that put them out for awhile, will be available.”

(On the status of (G) Richie Incognito)

“(G) (Richie) Incognito really strained his knee but everything looked good on the MRI today. He looked like he was moving around pretty good last night and I know he is a little sore today but everything looked good. It doesn’t look like it will affect his status.”

(On who will back up RB Steven Jackson)

“(RB) Brian Leonard really was two/three right there anyway. He took reps in that spot during the week and will now be the No. 2 and will factor into a lot more things. Now it is good to have the depth, it was a problem not to have him up but it is a no-brainer now. He is close to a 100-percent right now.”

(On the offensive progress in the game against the Seahawks)

“You still have to score but there were positives in the game and something that, a year ago, we had some real problems on the road against a team that had just sacked the previous opponent eight times. To get through the game with one sack, although it was a crucial one and it was early, was a positive and it really didn’t factor into the O-line. I think the O-line, as a group, performed very well against a good defensive front. The bottom line is, you have to score and you have to out score your opponent. You can’t go into any road game in the National Football League or any league and spot the team 17, 24, or 27 points in the first half and expect to win the game. I don’t know who, in this league, that is equipped to come from behind those...
              -09-22-2008, 03:39 PM
            • RamWraith
              Rams quotes
              by RamWraith
              WR Dante Hall

(On the muffed punt)
              “It was a total decision making play. I should have fair caught it and given it back to the offense.”

(On how much of the loss he blames on himself)
              “You know the old cliché, one play doesn’t lose a game…five minutes left to go in the game, all I have to do is fair catch and give it back to the offense. Worst case scenario, we kick it, pin them deep and put the game back into our defense’s hands – they were doing a great job.”

(On when he usually decides to call for a fair catch)
              “I knew they were coming down on me, it was just a bone-head play. I have no excuse. That’s a routine play for me – fair catch it…it’s frustrating, trying to make a play and I should have just fair caught it.”

(On if an 0-2 start means the season is close to out of control)
              “Not at all. I think we went 4-1 last year and didn’t make the playoffs, so it’s not in any way a season -ending loss for us. You can’t lose games like this when you have so many opportunities to get a win at home and in your division. It hurts, but in no way, shape, form or fashion is this season over with based on today.”

K Jeff Wilkins

(On his last field goal attempt)
              “…when it comes down to something like that, there was no other decision that could have been made. We had to try it and that’s usually where I rely on adrenaline maybe to give me a couple more yards. Like I said, I hit it. I don’t now what it would have been good from, but it was pretty much what I had.”

(On if missing the last kick makes the loss any harder to take)
              “Any time you don’t do your job it stinks. It didn’t go through, so it stinks.”

(On starting the season 0-2)
              “It’s a hole, but it’s a long season. We’ve all seen teams take off from here, we just have to get it turned around, get that victory and hopefully it’s next week on a game winner. Then we start rolling from there and see what happens.”

(On if he thought the last field goal attempt was good)
              “When I hit it I thought there was a shot. I knew I was at my farthest. Pregame I think I was feeling good at 54, 53 (yards), so when I hit it, I thought there was a shot, but that one I hit the best I could.”

QB Marc Bulger

(On the loss to San Francisco)
              “If you don’t do the little things and finish games and make good plays when you have to, then you’re not going to win. They played well like Carolina did, but we should have won.”

(On his confidence level on the final drive)
              “They kicked the ball out of bounds, which was a mistake by them. They were doing a lot of different things on defense to try to get pressure and they were getting there. We were moving it – I would have liked to get five or six more yards for (Jeff Wilkins), but it’s risky there if we didn’t kick the field goal on fourth...
              -09-16-2007, 05:09 PM
            • RamWraith
              Linehan and others comments
              by RamWraith
              Rams Head Coach Scott Linehan

September 17, 2008

(Opening Remarks)

The out players are (WR) (Drew) Bennett and (WR) (Keenan) Burton. Burton did have the scope yesterday afternoon, everything went great, wasn’t anything more than what we thought. He’ll be out for the bye right now for him, we’ll see where he is at that point. (G) (Jacob) Bell and (DE) (Leonard) Little were limited in practice as far as their participation, but we’ll know probably by Friday, I would think, it might be a gameday decision, but probably by Friday.”

(On if there’s any lineup changes)

“Not anything yet. Even if we did we wouldn’t announce it.”

(On if there are going to more changes on the offensive side of the ball)

“Kicker. We’re not going to play (K) Josh Brown, he’s just too nervous going back to Seattle.”

(On why he doesn’t want to announce any of lineup changes)

“I don’t see an upside about having any personnel changes in what we do the week before. I don’t think there’s any upside to it as far as, given the information, it has nothing to do with giving it to you guys it has more for what we’re doing for the gameplan.”

(On the snowball effect of losing consecutive games and what’s different this week)

“Because we’ve only played two games. Really, every year is a different schedule and timing of things, all that stuff, and we didn’t play particularly well in our first two games, but we played two tough opponents that were probably preseason, Super Bowl, got a lot of accolades as to what they were going to do. We would like to be sitting here in a better situation after two games, but also knowing who we played, and it’s not like it's getting any easier, but I just feel, this is our first division game. Really all the goals we’ve set for our team are right in front of us at this point in the season. Every season, in my lifetime and it might be different for other people, but in my lifetime, has just had a unique feel or flavor to it and this will be no different in my opinion. The guys have been really, really responsive to rebounding and so we’ll see, but I just have a good feeling about it.”

(On the atmosphere and attitude on the first day of the work week)

“That’s great; actually it was really good. I didn’t expect any different, but you still have to see. Everybody in the building has to be consistent in that way and I think it’s been outstanding. Again, it’s early and we’d like to go back and have a couple do-overs, but that’s not the way life is and that’s definitely not the way football is so if we can keep our head and wits about us, we can really, really get something going at this point because it’s still early in the season and we’re in a good spot. We haven’t played in...
              -09-18-2008, 04:21 AM
            • RamWraith
              The Quote Sheet - Thursday
              by RamWraith
              Thursday, October 12, 2006

Head Coach Scott Linehan
              October 12, 2006

(On bringing S Dwaine Carpenter back because of all the injuries) “The week before we brought [Isaiah] Kacyvenski in; he wasn’t ready to play linebacker, so we stayed probably a little heavy at linebacker for a week just because we knew Kacyvenski was going to work mostly special teams. Didn’t know if that was going to effect whether we had another linebacker up, but we needed to have one ready in case. You never know what happens. I think we’ve got a more workable number as far as what we have on our roster now based on our secondary situation right now. Dwaine [Carpenter] would be available, and has gotten some work this week, possibly to be up.”

(On his confidence level in CB Jerametrius Butler) “We have 100 percent confidence in J.B. to start and play. He came in and did a nice job when he played. He’s done a nice job when he’s played before. I think just like you said before, you’ve got to be ready because you never know when your number’s going to be called. That came true last week. He could be in a similar situation again this week.”

(On G Todd Steussie’s performances) “He’s going good. Our first week, I think, of OTA’s he was playing guard for us if you remember right. His role’s going to be as needed, and in this particular case, because of the moving around we had to do on our line. He fills in very nicely there. It’s still a good thing to have him helping a young center and being next to a young center, and having two veteran guards next to Richie [Incognito].”

(On the magnitude of Sunday’s game vs. Seattle) “The division games always carry extra importance, somewhat, just because, like you said, you’ve got to do well within your division. Now we’re 1-1 within our division. It’s going to be big playing the front-runners, preseason favorites, not only in our division, but in the whole NFC. It would certainly be a huge win for us if we were fortunate enough to be accomplish that goal. We’ve got a long way to go as far as preparation and getting ready for them. Sunday will be here soon enough. We know it’s a big game.”

(On Seattle having an advantage coming off the bye week) “Sometimes it can go either way. We’ve one a couple on the road here, so sometimes you just don’t really want to have a break during that time, so sometimes it can go either way. I think it always is an advantage for the team with the bye, as far as preparation, but you’ve still got to go out there and play and execute and all those things. It’s still a home game, which maybe, if anything, evens it out, that would be it. we’re definitely an underdog. We have to go into this game, regardless of how much time they’ve prepared, and try to do a lot of things off the momentum we have, confidence, whatever it is that keeps going what we have going. It’s a whole new week, whole new opponent....
              -10-12-2006, 04:59 PM
            Working...
            X