• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incognito’s thoughts a day later on personal fouls

Incognito’s thoughts a day later on personal fouls
    By Kathleen Nelson
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    09.14.2009 2:43 pm

Here’s the full text of Rams guard Richie Incognito’s interview Monday, one day after he was flagged for two personal fouls and 35 yards worth of penalties (coach Steve Spagnuolo’s comments appear below Incognito’s):

Was it chippy on the field?

Incognito: “The whole game, it was chippy back and forth. That’s expected. It’s a big-time ballgame, both teams coming out trying to get a division win. It definitely got scrappy.”

Did you let your emotions get away from you?

Incognito: “Definitely. The first personal foul, I let my emotions get away from me. Did something real regrettable. My focus is get the play over with, get back in the huddle. I got away from my game plan. That’s something I’m going to have to go back to.”

Did you see the second one on film?

Incognito: “I’m running down field. It’s a quick screen. So I got out. I got my guy sealed a little bit. I’m running with him. You can see I start to choke down. As soon as my feet slowed, he kept riding me. There was a guy about three yards in front of me. I could see where the flag was thrown because I had my hands up and I delivered into the guy. But, really, it was a self-defense thing and I plowed him over. Looking forward, a deal like that, I’m going to have to throw my hands up or try to avoid the guy.”

How important is the coaches’ support?

Incognito: “It’s great knowing that the coaches are behind me 100 percent. That hasn’t always been the case. In this game, there’s zero tolerance for things like that. It’s something I have to overcome. It’s squarely set on my shoulders as something that I have to overcome to help this team get better.”

Do you feel as if you’re on a short leash?

Incognito: “It’s been a short leash from the get-go. That’s been understood since Coach got here. We’re going to be physical, we’re going to be disciplined, we’re going to have attention to detail. We got away from all three of those. Just a bonehead play and me being selfish.”

Incognito’s behavior _ past and present _ drew more questions than any other topic during Spagnuolo’s media briefing today.

“I know Richie Incognito is the Rams’ 2009 offensive guard,” he said. “I like his passion, but when passion leads to penalties that’s not a good thing. But I’d rather have that problem than trying to motivate guys to love the game of football. Yesterday’s over and we’re moving on.”

Spagnuolo said that based on Incognito’s relatively calm behavior in camp, he thought his past misbehavior and temper control issues were behind him. “I thought he had done a great job,” Spagnuolo said.

For now, Spagnuolo said he would remain patient. “We’ll deal with that as we go. Sometimes, I can be real patient and sometimes I can be real impatient,” he said.

He acknowledged, though, that the key to the loss were the penalties, though Spagnuolo wouldn’t comment on them, other than to say, “We wish they hadn’t happened. Hopefully oging forward we won’t have those again.”

Steven Jackson’s penalty for unnecessary roughness “is not on film. So I really can’t pass judgement,” he said.

Spagnuolo said linebacker James Laurinaitis suffered the only injury of note (knee) in the Rams’ 28-0 loss to Seattle.

“They’re calling it a bursa sac. He seems to be fine,” Spagnuolo said, adding that Laurinaitis participated in workouts and weightlifting Monday.

Of Lauirnaitis’ debut as starting middle linebacker, Spagnuolo said. “It’s not easy to go in there and be the quarterback on defense on your first game. The mistakes are easily corrected. He played a real productive game.”

Leonard Little and James Hall left the game to receive IV fluids but were fine.

Re: Incognito’s thoughts a day later on personal fouls

Man, am I glad JL is okay.

As for Incognito... if he does not shape up by the time Greco is healthy, I'd give the 2nd year man a shot.

Comment

I wonder why the writer left out the part about COGS feeling comfortable again while eating candy bars in the locker room?
      sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
        Man, am I glad JL is okay.

As for Incognito... if he does not shape up by the time Greco is healthy, I'd give the 2nd year man a shot.
        Congratulations on your 10,000th post! Quite the accomplishment. Now you are only about 3,650 away from Nick.

But, much like the Rams you gotta keep fightin' and postin'.

WHAT SAY YE?

Comment

I got a little faith left in Incognito. If it happens again however, the dude needs to be fined or something.

As far as what Avenger said about Greco. I'd like to see him replace Jacob Bell.

Comment

It seems like Incognito really does try to maintain his equanimity during the game but just has such a short temper that there's that split-second where he can't control himself. In no way is that an excuse, but I do feel he's being sincere when he says he's working on it. It just seems hard for him to fight his impulses.

To that end, my brother's gf is a secretary for the Rams and she remarked how surprising it was to her to see him take those penalties. She said in the past he had always just kind of walked by without saying anything, and this past offseason he's stopped to talk to everybody and been really quite nice and pleasant to talk to. Who knows what any of that is worth, but hopefully it's worth something.

Comment

why don't they put him on the defensive line? with all that aggression, he could put a hurtin on any offensive line. man this guy gives meaning to the saying "beefed up"! freakin psycho!
              LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Comment

Originally posted by LA Rammer View Post
                why don't they put him on the defensive line? with all that aggression, he could put a hurtin on any offensive line. man this guy gives meaning to the saying "beefed up"! freakin psycho!
                I too have wondered what Cogs would do on the other side of the ball. It seems like defenders play with more passion and dare I say it less discipline. In my experience "thinkers" play o line, "reactors" play d line. Who knows? -he is certainly big enough to keep our linebackers clean. I'd like to let him try that instead of cutting him if Spags decides Greco is better suited at guard in three weeks.

Comment

Nah, I'm personally done with Cogs. He'll do it again.

Comment

I love his passion and intensity if, and it's a huge IF, he can keep the penalties in check. It sounds like Spags is pretending nothing in the past happen and giving him a clean slate, i just wonder if this happens again in the next few games will he feel the same way?

Comment

I'm getting really really close to the point where I say just cut him and move on. We've heard it all before, every single year with him, "I'm working on it", "That was stupid, I should avoid that" etc. etc. all the excuses in the world and we've seen no change. Is Incognito THAT good as a guard that he can overcome all the stupid penalties and still be better than say Setterstrom or Greco? In my opinion no, I'm not even sure he's a better guard than Setterstrom or Greco straight up when you ignore the penalties, let alone when you look at the full package you get.

I say bench him today. Give someone else a chance Setterstrom would be my choice #1 and Greco right behind if he can't cut it either.

Bench him.

Comment

Originally posted by laram0 View Post
                        I wonder why the writer left out the part about COGS feeling comfortable again while eating candy bars in the locker room?
                        I wonder what Spags would do if he saw Cogs eating a candy bar on the sideline during a game? He's extremely lucky Spags has so much faith in his abilities, but I can't believe he has many chances left. At least I hope not.

My biggest worry with Cogs is the fact that he is so easily manipulated by opponents. The Seahawks players, especially Mebane, were doing everything they could to set him off, and it worked. What happens in future games when the Rams are in a critical situation and an opponent decides to push his hair trigger buttons and get him to do something stupid?

Passion is great, but Incognito has always taken it way too far. If he's going to be allowed to exercise his "passion", for cryin' out loud, teach him how to do it without getting caught. The opposition sure seems to be able to do it.

Comment

An Incognito supporter here, now also backing Coach Spags on his willingness to give Richie another chance. I really think Cogs can become a good OL (and that includes being smart about avoiding penalties) but yes, I agree ... the time left in sand clock No. 68 is down low.

He's got to turn that sand clock over and thank his head coach in the process. :ram:

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                            I wonder what Spags would do if he saw Cogs eating a candy bar on the sideline during a game?
                            did i miss something? was this during the seahawks game

Comment

Originally posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
                              did i miss something? was this during the seahawks game
                              Last year during a game, Haslett saw Cogs eating a candy bar on the sideline and got so angry that he went over and slapped it out of his hand.

Comment

widgetinstance 232 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X