• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incognito’s thoughts a day later on personal fouls

Incognito’s thoughts a day later on personal fouls
    By Kathleen Nelson
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    09.14.2009 2:43 pm

Here’s the full text of Rams guard Richie Incognito’s interview Monday, one day after he was flagged for two personal fouls and 35 yards worth of penalties (coach Steve Spagnuolo’s comments appear below Incognito’s):

Was it chippy on the field?

Incognito: “The whole game, it was chippy back and forth. That’s expected. It’s a big-time ballgame, both teams coming out trying to get a division win. It definitely got scrappy.”

Did you let your emotions get away from you?

Incognito: “Definitely. The first personal foul, I let my emotions get away from me. Did something real regrettable. My focus is get the play over with, get back in the huddle. I got away from my game plan. That’s something I’m going to have to go back to.”

Did you see the second one on film?

Incognito: “I’m running down field. It’s a quick screen. So I got out. I got my guy sealed a little bit. I’m running with him. You can see I start to choke down. As soon as my feet slowed, he kept riding me. There was a guy about three yards in front of me. I could see where the flag was thrown because I had my hands up and I delivered into the guy. But, really, it was a self-defense thing and I plowed him over. Looking forward, a deal like that, I’m going to have to throw my hands up or try to avoid the guy.”

How important is the coaches’ support?

Incognito: “It’s great knowing that the coaches are behind me 100 percent. That hasn’t always been the case. In this game, there’s zero tolerance for things like that. It’s something I have to overcome. It’s squarely set on my shoulders as something that I have to overcome to help this team get better.”

Do you feel as if you’re on a short leash?

Incognito: “It’s been a short leash from the get-go. That’s been understood since Coach got here. We’re going to be physical, we’re going to be disciplined, we’re going to have attention to detail. We got away from all three of those. Just a bonehead play and me being selfish.”

Incognito’s behavior _ past and present _ drew more questions than any other topic during Spagnuolo’s media briefing today.

“I know Richie Incognito is the Rams’ 2009 offensive guard,” he said. “I like his passion, but when passion leads to penalties that’s not a good thing. But I’d rather have that problem than trying to motivate guys to love the game of football. Yesterday’s over and we’re moving on.”

Spagnuolo said that based on Incognito’s relatively calm behavior in camp, he thought his past misbehavior and temper control issues were behind him. “I thought he had done a great job,” Spagnuolo said.

For now, Spagnuolo said he would remain patient. “We’ll deal with that as we go. Sometimes, I can be real patient and sometimes I can be real impatient,” he said.

He acknowledged, though, that the key to the loss were the penalties, though Spagnuolo wouldn’t comment on them, other than to say, “We wish they hadn’t happened. Hopefully oging forward we won’t have those again.”

Steven Jackson’s penalty for unnecessary roughness “is not on film. So I really can’t pass judgement,” he said.

Spagnuolo said linebacker James Laurinaitis suffered the only injury of note (knee) in the Rams’ 28-0 loss to Seattle.

“They’re calling it a bursa sac. He seems to be fine,” Spagnuolo said, adding that Laurinaitis participated in workouts and weightlifting Monday.

Of Lauirnaitis’ debut as starting middle linebacker, Spagnuolo said. “It’s not easy to go in there and be the quarterback on defense on your first game. The mistakes are easily corrected. He played a real productive game.”

Leonard Little and James Hall left the game to receive IV fluids but were fine.

Re: Incognito’s thoughts a day later on personal fouls

Man, am I glad JL is okay.

As for Incognito... if he does not shape up by the time Greco is healthy, I'd give the 2nd year man a shot.

Comment

I wonder why the writer left out the part about COGS feeling comfortable again while eating candy bars in the locker room?
      sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
        Man, am I glad JL is okay.

As for Incognito... if he does not shape up by the time Greco is healthy, I'd give the 2nd year man a shot.
        Congratulations on your 10,000th post! Quite the accomplishment. Now you are only about 3,650 away from Nick.

But, much like the Rams you gotta keep fightin' and postin'.

WHAT SAY YE?

Comment

I got a little faith left in Incognito. If it happens again however, the dude needs to be fined or something.

As far as what Avenger said about Greco. I'd like to see him replace Jacob Bell.

Comment

It seems like Incognito really does try to maintain his equanimity during the game but just has such a short temper that there's that split-second where he can't control himself. In no way is that an excuse, but I do feel he's being sincere when he says he's working on it. It just seems hard for him to fight his impulses.

To that end, my brother's gf is a secretary for the Rams and she remarked how surprising it was to her to see him take those penalties. She said in the past he had always just kind of walked by without saying anything, and this past offseason he's stopped to talk to everybody and been really quite nice and pleasant to talk to. Who knows what any of that is worth, but hopefully it's worth something.

Comment

why don't they put him on the defensive line? with all that aggression, he could put a hurtin on any offensive line. man this guy gives meaning to the saying "beefed up"! freakin psycho!
              LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Comment

Originally posted by LA Rammer View Post
                why don't they put him on the defensive line? with all that aggression, he could put a hurtin on any offensive line. man this guy gives meaning to the saying "beefed up"! freakin psycho!
                I too have wondered what Cogs would do on the other side of the ball. It seems like defenders play with more passion and dare I say it less discipline. In my experience "thinkers" play o line, "reactors" play d line. Who knows? -he is certainly big enough to keep our linebackers clean. I'd like to let him try that instead of cutting him if Spags decides Greco is better suited at guard in three weeks.

Comment

Nah, I'm personally done with Cogs. He'll do it again.

Comment

I love his passion and intensity if, and it's a huge IF, he can keep the penalties in check. It sounds like Spags is pretending nothing in the past happen and giving him a clean slate, i just wonder if this happens again in the next few games will he feel the same way?

Comment

I'm getting really really close to the point where I say just cut him and move on. We've heard it all before, every single year with him, "I'm working on it", "That was stupid, I should avoid that" etc. etc. all the excuses in the world and we've seen no change. Is Incognito THAT good as a guard that he can overcome all the stupid penalties and still be better than say Setterstrom or Greco? In my opinion no, I'm not even sure he's a better guard than Setterstrom or Greco straight up when you ignore the penalties, let alone when you look at the full package you get.

I say bench him today. Give someone else a chance Setterstrom would be my choice #1 and Greco right behind if he can't cut it either.

Bench him.

Comment

Originally posted by laram0 View Post
                        I wonder why the writer left out the part about COGS feeling comfortable again while eating candy bars in the locker room?
                        I wonder what Spags would do if he saw Cogs eating a candy bar on the sideline during a game? He's extremely lucky Spags has so much faith in his abilities, but I can't believe he has many chances left. At least I hope not.

My biggest worry with Cogs is the fact that he is so easily manipulated by opponents. The Seahawks players, especially Mebane, were doing everything they could to set him off, and it worked. What happens in future games when the Rams are in a critical situation and an opponent decides to push his hair trigger buttons and get him to do something stupid?

Passion is great, but Incognito has always taken it way too far. If he's going to be allowed to exercise his "passion", for cryin' out loud, teach him how to do it without getting caught. The opposition sure seems to be able to do it.

Comment

An Incognito supporter here, now also backing Coach Spags on his willingness to give Richie another chance. I really think Cogs can become a good OL (and that includes being smart about avoiding penalties) but yes, I agree ... the time left in sand clock No. 68 is down low.

He's got to turn that sand clock over and thank his head coach in the process. :ram:

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                            I wonder what Spags would do if he saw Cogs eating a candy bar on the sideline during a game?
                            did i miss something? was this during the seahawks game

Comment

Originally posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
                              did i miss something? was this during the seahawks game
                              Last year during a game, Haslett saw Cogs eating a candy bar on the sideline and got so angry that he went over and slapped it out of his hand.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamFan_Til_I_Die
                                Rams Notebook: Incognito plagued with penalties
                                by RamFan_Til_I_Die
                                Rams Notebook: Incognito plagued with penalties
                                BY JIM THOMAS
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                09/14/2009

SEATTLE — In terms of the Rams' woeful recent past, coach Steve Spagnuolo has wiped the slate clean. For Richie Incognito, it's a good thing that's the case.

That's because Incognito was flagged for 35 yards worth of penalties Sunday in Seattle, two of which were personal fouls for unnecessary roughness that killed Rams drives. After the second personal foul, Incognito was replaced by Adam Goldberg with 10 minutes to play in the third quarter.

But Goldberg was in for only the rest of that possession — two plays — and a three-and-out series on the next, before Incognito returned and finished out the game.

"I told (Incognito), I still have confidence in him," Spagnuolo said. "I don't lose confidence in a guy in one game. I think Richie's one of our passionate guys, I really do. He plays his butt off. It's just sometimes, you've got to temper that a little bit, that's all."

Incognito said he appreciated the support from the head coach.

"It does mean a lot to me," Incognito said. "I don't want to disappoint him. I've got the team riding on my shoulders on this one — they need me to stop committing fouls. It's something I've worked very hard at. And you come out here and it's first-game jitters. And you let one pop off."

(Actually two, in terms of personal foul penalties.)

"I'm going to keep working hard at trying to step my mental game up," Incognito said. "My physical game is there. I had a hell of a game. I played very well. But it's very disappointing to have it overshadowed by stupid mistakes."

Incognito has a history of personal fouls, and more than one opposing player over the years has referred to him as a dirty player. Make no mistake, NFL officiating crews are aware of his reputation as well.

"I know going out there on Sundays I'm being watched," Incognito said. "I know I'm a marked man. My reputation precedes me."

Tyree to visit — The Rams had only four wide receivers available for Sunday's season opener, but that could change in a hurry. League sources told the Post-Dispatch that former New York Giants wide receiver David Tyree is scheduled to visit the Rams today and take a physical.

Baltimore and Jacksonville also are showing interest in Tyree, who was one of the Super Bowl heroes for New York two seasons ago with his "Helmet Catch" on the game-winning touchdown drive. Tyree also has a reputation as an excellent special teams player.

Hall starts — James Hall started at right defensive end instead of Chris Long, but Hall, Long and Leonard Little basically rotated at the two end positions.

Adeyanju sits — In a surprising move, defensive...
                                -09-14-2009, 08:39 AM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Rams' Incognito Looks To Repair Image With Fans
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                BY BILL COATS
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                05/27/2009

Among the goals he's listed for the 2009 season, Rams guard Richie Incognito wants to become "a more mature player." If he were to be successful in that mission, the final piece of the Incognito puzzle probably would be in place.

Last season, over 15 starts at right guard, the former Nebraska standout established himself as a solid NFL performer. Interim head coach Jim Haslett declared that Incognito was "our best offensive lineman all year, no question about it."

New Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo, the former Giants defensive coordinator, also is an unabashed Incognito fan.

"He's the kind of offensive lineman you want to have; tough and physical," Spagnuolo said. "He could play on the New York Giants' offensive line. ... He's that type of guy, and you know I've got a lot of respect for their offensive line."

But to complete the package, quarterback Marc Bulger pointed out, Incognito, 25, needs to avoid the self-created pitfalls that damaged him — and the Rams — in '08 and during previous seasons.

"There's been a growing process for him every year, and obviously last year we had some things with him going on," Bulger said during organized team activities at Rams Park. "I'm sure he wishes he could have that back."

Post-whistle indiscretions, as well as certain frowned-upon tactics during the action, resulted in several unwise penalties called against Incognito. Not only was the team pushed back, Incognito's reputation suffered.

"There are just a few in the league who take cheap shots, go low at you when they're not supposed to go low, like when you're not looking," former Seattle linebacker Leroy Hill said. "We know who they are. Yes, he's one of them."

Incognito was slapped with a whopping $35,000 in fines after a particularly nasty outing at Washington: $25,000 for what the league termed "repeated verbal abuse of a game official," $5,000 for a major facemask penalty and $5,000 for an illegal chop block.

Then there was Incognito's verbal sparring with the Rams' fans. Frustrated by mounting losses and unhappy that a large contingent was traveling from Chicago to see the Rams take on the Bears in late November at the Edward Jones Dome, Incognito blurted:

"We know how our fans feel about us; that's fine. It's nice to have the other fans here. At least they cheer. Our fans get in their seats, they don't know how to cheer, when to cheer."

Incognito apologized, but the damage was done. He was booed loudly that Sunday during a 27-3 defeat and added to the hecklers' displeasure by stopping before leaving the field and cupping his hands to his ears, encouraging them to step up their abuse.

"Obviously,...
                                -05-26-2009, 09:51 PM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Rams' Ritchie Incognito: "I'm a marked man"/The Incognito File
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Rams' Richie Incognito: "I'm a marked man"

By Bill Coats
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                09/18/2009

As popular as Richie Incognito is in the Rams' locker room, where he's venerated as a staunch defender of his teammates, he's equally ostracized around the NFL, where he's regarded by some of his adversaries as an unscrupulous hothead.

After Incognito was whistled for four penalties, including two personal fouls, in a 2007 game against Arizona, Cardinals defensive tackle Darnell Dockett said the NFL "is going to have to do something about (Incognito), because one day he's going to really injure somebody's career. The guy was trying to hurt some of our guys."

Last year, Seattle linebacker Leroy Hill noted that there are "just a few in the league who take cheap shots, go low at you when they're not supposed to go low, like when you're not looking. … He's one of them."

As a result:

— Opponents do what they can to get under Incognito's skin, trying to elicit a reaction.

"One of the fundamentals of the game is trying to exploit someone else's weaknesses," said CBS analyst Dan Dierdorf, a Hall of Fame offensive lineman with the old St. Louis Cardinals. "You realize where another guy is flawed and how to take advantage of that."

— Officials constantly keep a close eye on Incognito for any indiscretion.

"I know when I'm going out there Sundays I'm being watched," said the 6-foot-3, 324-pound Incognito, the Rams' right guard. "I'm a marked man."

Incognito, 26, said in the spring that he dedicated the offseason to trying to scrape away that reputation. "Just growing, being a more mature football player and eliminating the penalties," he said. "That's really the emphasis for me."

Yet Incognito already has re-ignited the furor by drawing two personal-foul calls in the Rams' 28-0 season-opening loss at Seattle.

Angry fans on sports-talk shows and Internet forums have called for his release, arguing that enough is enough. But first-year head coach Steve Spagnuolo is standing up for his man.

"I trust Richie — I like his passion," Spagnuolo said. "When the passion leads to penalties, that's not a good thing. But I'd rather have that problem than trying to motivate the guys to love the game of football."

'I PLAY WITH PASSION'

No one questions Incognito's love for football. "I care a lot about the game," he said. "I play with passion. I play with fire. And I play to win."

He's been doing so since he was a youngster in Glendale, Ariz. At Mountain Ridge High he developed into one of the nation's most sought-after linemen.

He chose Nebraska and quickly earned a first-team...
                                -09-18-2009, 12:19 PM
                              • RamFan_Til_I_Die
                                'You can't let passion turn into anger': Rams pay for penalties in loss to Seattle
                                by RamFan_Til_I_Die
                                'You can't let passion turn into anger': Rams pay for penalties in loss to Seattle
                                News-Democrat

SEATTLE -- The St. Louis Rams paid for their penalties, especially a too-many-men-on-the-field infraction that negated a touchdown off a blocked field goal late in the first half, during a 28-0 season-opening loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday.

The Rams had 10 penalties for 85 yards. They had four false start penalties and three unnecessary roughness penalties.

"I just got done saying to the guys that I love the fact that we have a lot of passionate football players, but you can't let passion turn into anger or get you off your game,'' Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said.

The Rams got a quick start on the penalties as right guard Richie Incognito was flagged for a false start on the team's first offensive play from scrimmage.

"There's a stat in this league that I think says if you get a penalty on any offensive series, then your chances of scoring a touchdown goes down to like 14 percent,'' Spagnuolo said.

The volatile Incognito also was flagged for two 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalties.

The first penalty was for shoving a Seattle player after a 2-yard run by Steven Jackson in the first quarter.

"The first one was just me losing my cool,'' Incognito said. "It was chippy. It was an exciting atmosphere. This is a great place to play in. I'm really disappointed in myself. I lost my cool on that one.''

Spagnuolo pulled Incognito out of the game and replaced him with Adam Goldberg after he got charged with the second unnecessary roughness penalty in the third quarter.

"When that happens to anybody, they get wrapped up in the moment,'' Spagnuolo said. "I talked with Richie. We have a lot more games to go, and we'll go from here. I told him that I still had confidence in him. I don't lose confidence in a guy on one game. I think Richie is one of our passionate guys, I really do. I think he plays his butt off. Sometimes you have to temper that a little bit, that's all.''

Incognito was back in the game in the fourth quarter.

"I am really disappointed in letting my teammates down, I let my coaches down,'' Incognito said. "I feel really bad about letting Spags down. But, we're professionals. We pick ourselves up and move forward.''

The most devastating penalty came after C.J. Ah You blocked a field goal, and Quincy Butler picked up the loose ball and ran 51 yards for a touchdown with 59 seconds left in the first half.

The replay assistant called for a review, and the play was reversed because the Rams had 12 men on the field.

"That's me,'' Spagnuolo said of the penalty. "Somehow that has to get ironed out, I'll take the blame for that. I'm sure guys will be accountable in there,...
                                -09-14-2009, 08:47 AM
                              • eldfan
                                Incognito benched for much of game
                                by eldfan
                                Incognito benched for much of game
                                By Jim Thomas
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                12/14/2009

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Right guard Richie Incognito let his temper get the best of him Sunday, and this time, it earned him a seat on the bench for the rest of the game.

Starting their second possession at their 3 Sunday against Tennessee, the Rams had pushed their way out to the 32, when Incognito was caught head-butting Titans defensive tackle Sen'Derrick Marks after the whistle on a Steven Jackson run.

The 15-yard penalty pushed the Rams back to their 19, leading to a Donnie Jones punt. Incognito was pulled for the game for one play but returned for the next series.

He didn't keep his cool for long. On the Rams' second series of the second quarter, Incognito again was flagged for a late hit, striking Titans safety Vincent Fuller at the end of a pass play to Kenneth Darby.

That made it two 15-yard penalties by Incognito in less than 1˝ quarters. That was enough for coach Steve Spagnuolo, who benched Incognito for the rest of the game, with Mark Setterstrom taking over.

In the season opener against Seattle, Incognito also committed two personal foul penalties but was pulled out of the game for only a handful of plays.

When asked why he benched Incognito against the Titans, Spagnuolo replied: "It's just something I've done. ... I like Richie, I do. I'm trying to help."

When asked what he could do about Incognito's anger management problem, Spagnuolo said, "I'm not sure. It's more about the team right now."

A team that got spanked by Tennessee 47-7 at LP Field.

Incognito made a quick exit from the Rams' locker room Sunday and was not available to comment. By the time reporters left Spagnuolo's postgame news conference, Incognito had left the locker room.

"He claims he's innocent," left guard Jacob Bell said. "So we just have to go back and look at the film. When it starts getting chippy, they're going to look at the guy that they know sometimes causes that kind of stuff.

"So whether he did it or he didn't do it, they're going to throw the flag on him. They calmed things down. You realize, 'Hey, they're going to throw a flag for anything now.' So you need to just be careful and realize that's how it's going."

LINEBACKERS INJURED

Starting weakside linebacker Paris Lenon suffered a hip injury with 7 minutes, 55 seconds to play in the second quarter and did not return. He was replaced by Chris Chamberlain. Meanwhile, starting strongside linebacker David Vobora left with a hyperextended knee and an ankle injury on kickoff coverage in the fourth quarter following the Rams' only touchdown.

Bell suffered a hamstring injury trying to chase down Fuller on his 45-yard interception return for...
                                -12-14-2009, 05:09 AM
                              Working...
                              X