• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulk is listed as "probable" because of back

By Bill Coats
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Friday, Oct. 01 2004

A conspicuous name was added Friday to the Rams' injury report, that of running
    back Marshall Faulk. He had limited work this week at practice and is listed as
    "probable" because of tightness in his lower back.

So, could rookie Steven Jackson, the team's first-round draft choice in April,
    be primed for a coming-out party Sunday night in San Francisco? Jackson doubts
    whether that will be the case, for two reasons:

He expects Faulk to be ready to go against the *****, a fierce NFC West rival.

With coach Mike Martz vowing this week to keep his attack "fast and furious,"
    Jackson figures the Rams will continue to rely on quarterback Marc Bulger's
    arm. "Mike Martz has been famous for having the 'Greatest Show on Turf,'"
    Jackson said. "And that hasn't been running the ball, it's been passing."

Martz has called 184 plays this season - 124 passes and 60 runs. Faulk has
    carried 46 times for 192 yards; Jackson had had only 12 tries, for 75 yards.
    The Rams' rushing average of 94.7 yards a game ranks 25th in the NFL, but their
    passing yield of 282.3 yards is topped by only four teams.

Jackson said he's not surprised - and not disappointed - that he hasn't had
    more work. "I'm comfortable right now where I am," he said. "Coming into this
    season, I knew the situation I was going to be put in: to be the backup guy and
    not to be the focal point of the offense ... not quite yet."

Also listed as probable are strong safety Adam Archuleta (back and hamstring)
    and linebacker Robert Thomas (ankle). Both vowed to be in the lineup Sunday,
    though.

"Absolutely," Archuleta said. "This is what we do for a living. You see your
    teammates out there battling, and everybody's working hard to try to get this
    thing right. No way does watching them enter your mind."
    Thomas said his ankle, which he sprained last week against New Orleans,
    "gradually got better as the week went on. ... We've got a good team here, and
    we've got to get things back on the road. I need to be out there."

Tercero, Garrett could start Sunday

Guard Chris Dishman, who suffered a hyperextended knee vs. the Saints, and
    cornerback Travis Fisher (broken arm) probably will be the only Rams regulars
    on the sideline at Monster Park. Scott Tercero is expected to slide into
    Dishman's spot, and it appears as if Kevin Garrett will team with Jerametrius
    Butler at cornerback. It would be the first NFL start for second-year pros
    Tercero and Garrett.

Garrett didn't play a down on defense last Sunday, but he spent much of the
    week in practice with the first unit. "Well, that's how it goes," he said.
    "Whenever your number is called, you've just got to be ready to go. I'm ready."

Aeneas Williams, who filled in at cornerback against the Saints, has returned
    to free safety, and DeJuan Groce, who started the first two games but suffered
    a sprained knee Sept. 19 in Atlanta, still is a bit gimpy.

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    Faulk probable--Jackson OK with the way it is
    by RamWraith
    By Bill Coats
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    10/01/2004

A conspicuous name was added Friday to the Rams' injury report, that of running back Marshall Faulk. He had limited work this week at practice and is listed as "probable" because of tightness in his lower back.

So, could rookie Steven Jackson, the team's first-round draft choice in April, be primed for a coming-out party Sunday night in San Francisco? Jackson doubts whether that will be the case, for two reasons:

He expects Faulk to be ready to go against the *****, a fierce NFC West rival.

With coach Mike Martz vowing this week to keep his attack "fast and furious," Jackson figures the Rams will continue to rely on quarterback Marc Bulger's arm. "Mike Martz has been famous for having the 'Greatest Show on Turf,'" Jackson said. "And that hasn't been running the ball, it's been passing."

Martz has called 184 plays this season - 124 passes and 60 runs. Faulk has carried 46 times for 192 yards; Jackson had had only 12 tries, for 75 yards. The Rams' rushing average of 94.7 yards a game ranks 25th in the NFL, but their passing yield of 282.3 yards is topped by only four teams.

Jackson said he's not surprised - and not disappointed - that he hasn't had more work. "I'm comfortable right now where I am," he said. "Coming into this season, I knew the situation I was going to be put in: to be the backup guy and not to be the focal point of the offense ... not quite yet."

Also listed as probable are strong safety Adam Archuleta (back and hamstring) and linebacker Robert Thomas (ankle). Both vowed to be in the lineup Sunday, though.

"Absolutely," Archuleta said. "This is what we do for a living. You see your teammates out there battling, and everybody's working hard to try to get this thing right. No way does watching them enter your mind."

Thomas said his ankle, which he sprained last week against New Orleans, "gradually got better as the week went on. ... We've got a good team here, and we've got to get things back on the road. I need to be out there."

Tercero, Garrett could start Sunday

Guard Chris Dishman, who suffered a hyperextended knee vs. the Saints, and cornerback Travis Fisher (broken arm) probably will be the only Rams regulars on the sideline at Monster Park. Scott Tercero is expected to slide into Dishman's spot, and it appears as if Kevin Garrett will team with Jerametrius Butler at cornerback. It would be the first NFL start for second-year pros Tercero and Garrett.

Garrett didn't play a down on defense last Sunday, but he spent much of the week in practice with the first unit. "Well, that's how it goes," he said. "Whenever your number is called, you've just got to be ready to go. I'm ready."...
    -10-02-2004, 01:23 PM
  • RamWraith
    Trev Faulk makes impact /Coady to start
    by RamWraith
    By Bill Coats
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    10/06/2004

Steven Jackson carried the ball 10 times and scored his first touchdown as a member of the Rams against San Francisco on Sunday.
    (Jeff Gross/Getty Images)

Trev Faulk apparently was brimming with pent-up energy after missing the Rams' past two games with a bad hamstring. The San Francisco ***** paid the price.

On the opening kickoff Sunday night at Monster Park, Faulk charged downfield, upended a would-be blocker - a "decleating," in NFL parlance - and dropped Jamal Robertson "like nobody else was on the field," coach Mike Martz said.

Next kickoff, same result: Faulk plowed under a defender and took down Robertson.

Third kickoff, different situation, same result: The *****, wising up now, double-teamed Faulk and knocked him to the turf. But as Robertson ran by, Faulk "reaches up and makes the tackle," Martz said. "It's pretty incredible, really."

To complete his evening by the Bay, Faulk threw in a tackle on a punt return, giving him a game-high four special-teams stops - just two behind team leaders Mike Furrey and Justin Lucas. Not bad for a guy with virtually no experience on kick coverage.

"I've never really done it before," Faulk said. "This is pretty much the first time since maybe my freshman year" at Louisiana State. Faulk is a middle linebacker by trade, but he might be carving out a new niche for himself.

"It's just fun," said the 6-foot-3, 254-pound native of Lafayette, La. "It's just wide open, wild, bodies flying all over the place. You're just kind of sorting through everything, trying to get to the ball carrier."

Faulk modestly called his success vs. the ***** "beginner's luck; I was just trying not to be offside on the kick. ... I ran down there and tried to make a play, just tried to get to the ball. Once you get down there, it's not much different from playing linebacker. You're just trying to shed your man and get to the ball carrier. I was just fortunate enough to be able to do that."

Faulk hadn't played in a regular-season NFL game before seeing special-teams action in the opener against Arizona. He was hurt in that game, though, and spent more time over the next two weeks with the trainers than he did with his teammates.

"When I first heard 'torn hamstring' I was kind of worried about it," Faulk said. "I just kept believing ... that it wasn't as bad as what everybody thought it was. I tried to take that out of my mind and just focus on trying to get back as soon as I could."

And make an immediate impact when he did.

"He is, pound for pound, probably our best hitter ... a terrific collision player, fearless," Martz said. "Some guys have just got a...
    -10-07-2004, 05:46 AM
  • RamWraith
    Jackson Ready for Action
    by RamWraith
    Saturday, December 4, 2004

By Nick Wagoner
    Staff Writer

The first time the ***** and Rams met, rookie running back Steven Jackson made a statement about what kind of player he could be. This time, he will get the opportunity to show the NFL what he is.

With starting running back Marshall Faulk likely a gametime decision because of a bruised left knee (Faulk is questionable on the injury report), Jackson will get his first chance to get the majority of the work at running back. Faulk sat out practice on Thursday and Friday and will not participate in any practice this week.

Rams coach Mike Martz confirmed that Faulk’s injury will make it difficult to play and Jackson will likely pick up the slack.

“He's going to carry the load this week," Martz said. “We’ve got to give Marshall a chance to recover.”

Faulk is the team’s leading rusher with 683 yards and three touchdowns on the season. He took a hit to the knee against Atlanta on Sept. 19 and left the game for a short period before returning. There were no indications that the knee bothered him soon after that, but it has been apparent in recent weeks, as Faulk has struggled to get anything going on the ground.

Against Buffalo, Faulk gained just 6 yards on 13 carries and Green Bay held him to 7 yards on seven carries. Most of that can be directly attributed to his knee problems, as Faulk gained 139 yards against Seattle on Nov. 14. The left knee is the second knee Faulk has injured. He has had surgeries to repair his right knee.

Marshall has been banged up the last few weeks, and he has been very sore," Martz said. "We didn't manage him very well. We probably played him more than we should have.

Jackson’s opportunity has been a long time in the making. After struggling early in the preseason with blitz pickups and the small nuances of the game, Jackson has come on strong. It became evident as the season went along and Jackson’s workload began to increase. In recent weeks, Jackson and Faulk have essentially shared the carries.
    Now, Jackson is ready to take his shot at being the man in the backfield for the Rams.

“I’m very excited,” Jackson said. “This is something I have been waiting on since I joined the organization. I feel that there is a lot of pressure on me right now, but I think I am going to stand tall and I’m going to handle it pretty well.”

If Jackson handles this opportunity as well as he did the first one against San Francisco, he will almost certainly be in for a big day. The ***** are solid against the run, with a stout front seven, but the Rams shredded that group in the first meeting.

Faulk had 121 yards in that game and, in what would be his first coming out party on national television; Jackson ran for 46 yards and scored his first career touchdown on a 24-yard jaunt. Perhaps...
    -12-05-2004, 06:28 AM
  • RamWraith
    Jackson and Faulk may be too banged up to play
    by RamWraith
    By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Wednesday, Dec. 08 2004

Rams running back Marshall Faulk practiced on Wednesday. Steven Jackson didn't.
    And Arlen Harris got plenty of work with the starters.

But as to who will start at running back, and how much each of them will play
    Sunday against Carolina, well, that remains very much up in the air.

Despite giving an extremely qualified nod in Harris' direction as his probable
    starter, coach Mike Martz said Wednesday that Faulk and Jackson and their
    bruised knees will be available to play against the Panthers.

"Steven will be ready to go," Martz said. "So will Marshall."

Jackson suffered his injury Sunday against San Francisco en route to a 119-yard
    rushing day. There is no structural damage or ligament problems, Martz said.
    But the knee swelled up overnight Sunday. As a result, excess fluid had to be
    drained from the knee. Jackson watched Wednesday practice in sweats.

"He feels a whole lot better," Martz said. "I'd like to give him some reps here
    during the week. Hopefully on Friday, and maybe a little bit (today). But we'll
    just see. ... We're going to do the right thing by him physically."

Reading between the lines, it seems that Martz would like to rest Faulk's knee
    one more week if possible. But while Jackson was watching, Faulk was getting
    some work with the first unit Wednesday in practice.

"I wish he didn't" practice, Martz said. "Especially this time of week. I'd
    rather he do a little more work (Thursday), and then back off on Friday."

Jackson isn't sure when he injured his knee against the *****. But one thing
    came through loud and clear Wednesday: He's no fan of the artificial surface at
    the Edward Jones Dome.

"That surface there is unforgiving," Jackson said. "You're basically taking two
    hits on the play. Not only are you getting hit by the defender, but you're
    taking quite a blow hitting that turf. These next two weeks, I'm happy we're on
    grass."

Following the Carolina game, the Rams play Dec. 19 at Arizona.

Despite being in some discomfort Wednesday, Jackson sounded as if there was no
    doubt about his playing status against the Panthers. "It's all right," he said.
    "I'll be there."

Jackson said he probably has spent more time in the training room getting
    treatment this week than the rest of the season combined. Jackson was listed as
    questionable, with Faulk probable, on the Rams' first official injury report of
    the week.

With Faulk hurting and the season at a critical stage, Jackson feels...
    -12-09-2004, 04:30 AM
  • RamWraith
    Jackson, Faulk both are likely to play Sunday
    by RamWraith
    By Bill Coats
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    12/16/2004

It appears that the Rams will be at full strength at running back Sunday when they play the Arizona Cardinals at Sun Devil Stadium.

"Steven (Jackson) is still just a little tentative, but there's no reason why he shouldn't be ready to go," coach Mike Martz said Thursday. "Both he and Marshall (Faulk) will be" on the 45-man active roster for the 3:05 p.m. kickoff.

Faulk has missed two games with a bruised left knee, and Jackson sat out Sunday at Carolina with the same injury, but to his right knee. Jackson, the team's first-round draft choice this year, had arthroscopic surgery on the same knee after his senior season at Oregon State.

Faulk and Jackson shared first-team duties at practice Wednesday and Thursday. Arlen Harris, who rushed for 61 yards on 19 carries in the 20-7 loss to the Panthers, was back with the No. 3 unit and likely to return to kickoff-return duties.

Jackson was injured on his final series Dec. 5 against San Francisco, when he ran for 119 yards on 26 carries. He said watching from the sideline Sunday was difficult.

"As a competitor, you want to be out there," he said. "And coming off a big game especially, I really felt I could help my team against Carolina. It was pretty tough, especially seeing the offense, the way it was kind of going a little sour."

Fluid was drained from Jackson's knee twice last week, but he said it felt "pretty good" Thursday in the wake of Wednesday's workout at Rams Park.

"It didn't swell up this morning, but I have a couple of more practices this week to see how it reacts," Jackson said. "I've got to prepare myself. You can't just go out there cold and expect to play on Sunday. You've got to get back into the flow of things at practice."

Faulk, who has had recurring knee problems in the past few seasons, had improved so much that he was removed from the team's injury report Thursday. He was listed as probable Wednesday.

Bulger throws again, still has soreness

Quarterback Marc Bulger was a little sore after testing his bruised right (throwing) shoulder with some light tossing Wednesday, Martz said. Bulger threw again briefly Thursday during individual drills, while Chris Chandler worked with the first unit.

"We haven't really pressed it," Martz said. "You don't want to put him backwards. It's a pain issue; it's not the joint structure or anything like that. It's just how sore it is. He's fighting through it."

Bulger was injured in the first quarter against the *****. Chandler, 39, replaced him, and the Rams rolled up a 16-6 victory. But as the starter Sunday, Chandler threw six interceptions against the Panthers.

Martz hasn't ruled out Bulger...
    -12-17-2004, 04:25 AM
Working...
X