• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martz on the Mike

Head Coach Mike Martz
    Friday, October 1, 2004

(On DT Jimmy Kennedy)
    Hes fine, hes been completely cleared. Which means hes about two weeks away. Hes going to start running next week, but hes a long way away from being in football shape. Hes two weeks probably from having contact, a little press and drive off that thing. Its healed very quickly, and its further along than youd anticipate. Thats real good news for us, and were going to have him back a little bit earlier then we anticipated.

(On Kennedy improving the depth)
    Who knows what hell bring inside. When he got injured he was just beginning to learn how to play inside and do the things we want him to do. Hes a good size, physical guy, and hes really improved his strength remarkably. So who knows what hell do, its up to him. He has the opportunity now, within the next few weeks, to really start working to get back.

(On if LB Robert Thomas practiced today)
    Were trying to take it easy on that bad ankle. Its a minor ankle, its a lower ankle sprain. If you do too much on it, it will be puffy and swollen most of the week. Well let him get a lot of reps on Friday. Trev Faulk came back and he needed to work. So that combined with the fact that Trev needed to work, gives us an opportunity to sit him down for a little bit. We also had a chance to get (Brandon) Chillar some work inside. As the season goes on, and the linebacking crew, if those guys get nicked, those guys have all got to be kind of interchangeable. Having Trev back is a big issue. Hes an inside guy, that has practiced here all year, and to have him back obviously helps us.

(On CB Travis Fisher)
    They did a scan on him, and theyre very pleased. Hes probably about two weeks away or so. They are just concerned about the strength, the bulk of the muscle and the forearm, so he doesnt re-fracture it. Its healed very nicely, so hes pretty much on schedule. Hes out here doing everything, moving around and back peddling, doing all the things you have to do to stay in shape. They wont completely release him for contact until they test it to make sure its ready to go, and he has strength.

(On ***** Head Coach Dennis Erickson saying hes up till three in the morning with the Rams shifting and motions)
    Well we do a little bit of it. Were getting better. The thing Im most pleased with is the offensive line. I thought the last game they played exceptionally well. Theyre gelling, and everything is kind of falling into place again, and Im very pleased with their progress. Its gone from the biggest question mark and worry in preseason, to being one of our more solid attributes of this team right now.

(On T Grant Williams play versus vs. New Orleans)
    One of the plays wasnt his fault. It was a screwed up route downfield, and Marc (Bulger) pulled the ball back and got sacked. The other play he just got beat, so he got beat once. Hes played very well, and the transition for him from left to right is pretty substantial. His whole career hes been over on the left-hand side. Thats not an easy thing to do, get in a different stance then you have been your whole career. I couldnt be more pleased with Grant, I think hes playing very well.

Re: Martz on the Mike

How about all of those penalties on Williams and the O line, Mike...huh? Are ya pleased with that? Hopefully, you have "fixed it" so it won't happen this week.

Go Rams!!!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
      Martz on the MIke
      by RamWraith
      Head Coach Mike Martz
      Saturday, December 4, 2004

(On finishing practice early)
      We stopped early. We had two team sessions that we cut short. This close to the game, I was a little worried about some of the legs and stuff. We watched some things closely. We took some things out, and shortened the team (drills) down. We had good work, so we cut it short.

(On S Antuan Edwards)
      I think he has a great feel for the ball in the air, and the range in terms of the passing game. Based on what we saw here in the last week, hes certainly a willing tackler, and a big force defender. His range back there, break on the ball, and his awareness is kind of natural for him. Im very pleased with him.

(On the players being excited to see what RB Steven Jackson can do)
      I think we all are. I think were all kind of anxious to put him in that kind of a role and see what he will do here in the regular season. I think he will play very well.

(On if DT Jimmy Kennedy will start)
      Im not sure what the rotation is right now. I havent talked to Bill (Kollar) about it. He will see a lot of playing time. He played very well last week. Hes making outstanding progress. I am surprised (about how much he is able to play). Hes made no mention of any soreness in the foot. Hes done everything weve asked him to do and hes getting a lot better.

(On WR Isaac Bruce)
      We rested him completely. He just did individuals today and yesterday. The swelling on the arm is down. Hell be fine for the game. Theres just nothing to be gained from that (practicing) at this point. Hell do some work tomorrow, but that will be it.

(On RB Marshall Faulk)
      He has a bone bruise inside the knee on the knee cap. He can play, but its painful. Well just kind of judge how he feels on Sunday. Im sure he will be up and available. Im not sure exactly when he did it, I couldnt tell you. Im not sure he knows. You get into the adrenaline flowing, and you dont remember when some of that stuff happens to you.

(On RB Arlen Harris)
      Arlen is the best. Hes fine. I dont worry about Arlen at all, hes a good player.

(On QB Marc Bulgers toughness)
      He hangs in there and makes throws with people all over him. Im very pleased with that part of it. I think at times weve really protected him very well. He does a good job of tucking it, and also getting rid of the ball too. Im very pleased with his toughness. That whole part of his game is very outstanding.

(On the inconsistency in the NFC West)
      Im not sure. I havent really thought much about it. Ive been just looking in our own backyard, at our situation. I know the issues that we have and that weve trying to plug.

(On keeping the teams spirits up)
      Thats one of the reason that we...
      -12-05-2004, 06:27 AM
    • RamWraith
      Martz on the Mike
      by RamWraith
      (On LB Pisa Tinoisamoa)
      What happened to Pisa, is that his elbow started to swell up yesterday. Hes go some kind of infection in his elbow. He came in this morning and it was very painful, and he was running a fever, so I think they will keep him in the hospital overnight to put IVs in him. He should be fine, but we are just being very cautious with it.

(On LB Robert Thomas)
      Hes got probably this week, then next week, then he should be alright (with his ankle injury). Its a lower ankle sprain, which you can play through. It gives us a chance to get Trev (Faulk) in there, and Brandon Chillar, and they are doing a really good job. Its valuable work. Trev has been out so long, he needs to get the work. Hes done a remarkable job.

(On Seattles offense)
      You need to try to keep their linemen off our linebackers with the defensive front. Its like putting your finger in a leak in the dam, it will spring somewhere else. All of a sudden (QB Matt Hasselbeck) is pulling the ball out of (RB Shaun) Alexanders belly and throwing it down the field. Thats how they work.

(On G Tom Ntten)
      Hes still a little bit gimpy with that toe, but if had to play, hed be fine. And again, hes in our goal-line offense. Scotty (Tercero) was back today, and he should be fine. Like Adam (Timmerman), (Tercero) probably had the best line Ive ever heard about offensive linemen, Hes an offensive lineman, its just a wrist. Body parts dont matter to them, I guess.

(On DE Bryce Fisher)
      There has been terrific competition at defensive end, and Bryce has won the job because he has played so well. He has made remarkable progress from just a year ago, coming from a completely different system. Hes very intelligent. He has the same kind of motor that Grant (Wistrom) has. He was such a big factor for us in the special teams, and now he has moved into a different arena. Its like what Leonard Little did. He was a big special teams players, and now hes become a starter on defense.

(On DE Anthony Hargrove)
      Anthony needs to step forward. He wants to play, hes just a little like a bull in a china closet. Its just not enough to go hard and fast, you also need to know the blocking schemes and how to react. Which doesnt happen in the matter of a few minutes. Hes learning. (Defensive line coach) Bill (Kollar) spots him in there in certain situations, and the more reps he gets in the game, the more comfortable he is with things.

(On S Rich Coady)
      When you look back in 1999 and see he was a starter for half of the season, as a rookie, so obviously (starting) is not too big for him. He played so well (against San Francisco). I was so proud and excited for him, to have the opportunity and to take advantage of it. So many guys on this team have been able to do that, and thats what makes you win. Obviously he...
      -10-08-2004, 07:12 PM
    • RamDez
      Head Coach Mike Martz -= Friday
      by RamDez
      Head Coach Mike Martz
      Friday, January 14, 2005

(On the team's excitement)
      "I think the extra day off helped. They have their energy going. They are excited about playing. I think they needed that extra day off to help them recover. We've had a good week. It's very upbeat. This is a loose group."

(On WR Isaac Bruce's status)
      "We'll see how he's doing. I think he'll be fine. We'll just check him out before the game to be sure."

(On G Tom Ntten's injuries)
      "These are significant injuries. It's not, like some guys, who need a little attention. He continues to play, and play well. He's there for us, that's all I can tell you. He's always been there for us."

(On putting the regular season behind them)
      "We've always had the attitude here that we are always looking forward. What's done, is done, whether it's a win or loss. You have to continue to get better, even if you are on a roll and you're undefeated. You can't be happy with yourself, in that respect. You are always trying to get better, and that was our focus all along. We had a long way to go. There were a lot of obstacles to overcome, and at this point we are just looking forward. We are pleased to be where we are."

(On DL Tyoka Jackson's status) "(He's) probably not (going to play). He has a high ankle sprain, so probably not."

(On if it will be hard to keep Bruce out)
      "He's got a small muscle strain in his stomach, which he'll probably play with. I'm not really concerned about it. We'll see at game time. It's just the smart thing to do, to keep him out."

(On RB Marshall's Faulk's play against Seattle)
      "Big players make big plays, when they have to make them. That run in the fourth quarter, that set up the final touchdown, was outstanding. His blitz pick up, when you watch his blitz pick up, he throws his little body in there and knocks a guy out, or knocks them down so QB Marc (Bulger) can stand in there and throw. He didn't have great statistics, but his contribution was very significant in other areas. Who knows, maybe this week he'll have a lot of catches and rushing yards."

(On DE Anthony Hargrove)
      "He was a quarterback in college and really sat out a year before the draft. He has come such a long way. He's accomplished so much. He's gone way beyond everyone's expectations at this point. That's Tony, and it's also (defensive line coach) Bill Kollar, getting him ready. When these guys start to taste success and do things well, and do things right, then they are really enthusiastic and I think that's where Tony is right now."

(On DE Leonard Little's status)
      "He seems to be back, completely. I don't think there is an issue with him at this point."
      -01-15-2005, 02:44 AM
    • RamDez
      Head Coach Mike Martz
      by RamDez
      Head Coach Mike Martz
      Friday, October 22, 2004

(Injury Update)
      It looks like Travis Fisher will practice this week. Well get him into the mix. Jimmy Kennedy will practice to some extent. Well see how he is out there on the field. He has conditioned and ran real well over the past week or two. Well give him some individual drills to see where he is, and measure his progress by how sore he is tomorrow. Other than that, we are in pretty good shape. Jeff Wilkins is nursing a sore ankle from an ankle sprain. We wont know for a few days what we will do. Itll come down to the wire on Sunday to see how he is. Tyoka still remains questionable with that hamstring. Hes not quite there yet, so we have a couple of days to see (where he is). We are starting to get people back , which is always a good thing.

(On Miami)
      This is a short week and we head to Miami. This defense, a week ago, was the number one rated defense in the National Football League, and now they are two or four. But whatever it is, they are very substantial on defense, like they always are. Offensively, they have struggled somewhat. They have a lot of injuries, but they have moved the ball well enough to score points and win.

(On the difficulties of finding a kicker at this point of the season)
      I think its all relative to what he has been doing. When we worked (Jeff Chandler) out, he was fine. Im just going to make the assumption that he is ready to go if we need him.

(On getting Jimmy Kennedy and Travis Fisher back)
      We were starting to wear down on the defensive line, with Tyoka out, and particularly on the inside having Jimmy (Kennedy) back, I mean that is a big man. If he can pick up where he left off, so to speak, which will be hard to do. I dont know when he will be back, completely, but Im really excited about his attitude and his approach to getting back here as fast as he can. In terms of (Travis) Fisher, he was playing so well when he broke his arm, that we feel he is a top-flight corner. And it looks like he should be ready to go, which will help us tremendously in the secondary.

(On Travis Fishers play before he was injured)
      When he broke his arm in that preseason game against Kansas City, he was playing as well as hes ever played. To have three corners like we have healthy, thats quite an advantage. Most teams have two really outstanding corners, and with him, we feel like we have three substantial starters and were excited about that.

(On the Dolphins)
      A few years ago we were sitting in here at 0-5. The Oakland Raiders came in here, and they were the best team in the National Football League at the time. They led the league in both offense and defense, they led the league in both categories. We played them and we beat them handily. You just dont know. There are no breathers in this league. It just doesnt exist. This will be...
      -10-23-2004, 01:53 AM
    • RamWraith
      Martz on the Mike
      by RamWraith
      Thursday, September 30, 2004

(Injury update)
      Chris Dishman is questionable. When they did the MRI here the other day, there was no damage to the capsule, fortunately, or to the muscle, or ligaments. It was just a strained capsule. We should be able to get him back in short order. Just how soon, I dont know. How much he can do this week will probably be limited, well just have to get a feel for that. Arlen Harris, who did play the rest of the game on a strained hamstring, is also listed as questionable, and we will just have to see where he is. I would expect we would have him in some capacity, but well just have to see. Then Tony Newson, with the ankle sprain, what they call a grade two, is questionable, and probably, we wont have him. We do get DeJuan Groce back. We do get Trev Faulk back. These two guys have looked real good here in the last few days, and Trev now is almost 100 percent with that hamstring (injury). And DeJuan, with that knee (injury), looks pretty good and should practice today. That helps us a great deal on defense with another linebacker and another corner.

(On preparing for San Francisco)
      San Francisco week, as you all know, is a special week for us. Its a divisional game that has been our long-standing rivalry. We are excited about it. Defensively, they have done a good job over the years. They have really proven their speed defensively, probably over the last four or five years. Bryant Young, right now, is playing the best football that I have ever seen him play. He is absolutely outstanding. Obviously, Julian Peterson, Derek Smith, and (Jeff) Ulbrich, the linebacking crew is as good as you will find in football. I think they are outstanding. They have real good speed on defense, and they do a good job of matching up. Offensively, I would expect (Tim) Rattay to start at quarterback. Everything we hear, anyway, sounds like he will start. Kevan Barlow, as we all know, can be a very explosive and physical runner. He is a threat to go the distance at anytime. We have seen him do it. It doesnt get any better than this. An old time rival, early in the season, at San Francisco, and its a Sunday night game. Were excited about it.

(On where S Aeneas Williams will be playing)
      Aeneas will be going back to safety, with DeJuan Groce back at corner. Aeneas spent so much time getting himself ready to play safety, and has played so well in terms of his keys, breaks on the ball, lining guys up, making calls, and then to move out to corner is very disruptive. Its a totally different world out there. Thats a hard thing to ask somebody to do, but we were at a bind at that point. Going back to safety, Im sure hes relieved. I havent talked to him about it, but Im sure hes excited. He had a lot of pass break-ups on plays where you didnt expect a free safety to make a play, early in the year.

(On if San Franciscos...
      -09-30-2004, 11:58 AM
    Working...
    X