X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren Sapp on Rams: Write 'Em Off

Warren Sapp: Write off Browns, Chiefs Lions, Raiders and Rams
    02:02 AM Yahoo! Buzz

Warren Sapp didn't need to see much tape from Week 1 to stick a fork in five NFL teams.

"There's a certain amount of teams that this season is over before it ever begins," the 13-year defensive tackle said on Showtime's Inside the NFL on Wednesday night. "We're talking about Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City, Cleveland, Oakland.

"Those five right there, write 'em off. You talking about blackouts -- be happy (fans of those teams) that you got a blackout, maybe they'll beam a game that means something to you."

The quintet of teams Sapp listed all lost their openers, though only the Rams looked totally hapless in the process after getting whitewashed 28-0 in Seattle.

Sapp, who ended his career with the Raiders, is known for making strong statements, but fellow analyst Phil Simms piled on, too, though somewhat tongue-in-cheek: "Well, I really can't argue that point." -- Nate Davis

Re: Warren Sapp on Rams: Write 'Em Off

Why is there such a fascination with what the media says?

Let's just focus on our football; that's all that matters, after all.

Comment

I would like to think that we will surprise some of these so-called "experts" before the year is out. I never had any aspirations of making the playoffs this year, but I'm thinking that as we solidify as a team with Spags system, we'll win a few games that we were expected to lose. Despite week #1 being a bust I believe in our team and cannot wait for the season to unfold. Hang-in there my fellow Clanners, the season is but 1 week old, much more football to play!

Go Rams!

P.S. did Sapp go back to smoking dope again?? (LOL)

Comment

Sapp is still pizzed that we knocked the Bucs out in 1999 ...

There is no merit to anything that lard sack has to say, one of the most overrated players of all time ...

Comment

Originally posted by DistantRam View Post
          Why is there such a fascination with what the media says?

Let's just focus on our football; that's all that matters, after all.
          I found it amusing and thought others might too. I'll bet it becomes bulletin board material for the Rams locker room.

Comment

Haha. Sapp is trash. Just ignore him.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Sapp, never was. But if what he was saying was; "none of these teams had a real shot at the playoffs this year, so right them off as possible contenders".

I would have to agree.

Let's be real. This list includes the worst teams in the league and none were expected to really challenge this year, Rams included. It hurts to hear something like that when OUR team is included, and it's natural to fire back, but if after 8 games three or four of these teams are not experiencing home game blackouts (if not sooner) I'll be surprised.

It sucks to hear, or read these things from former players, but you have to take it with a grain of salt and move on. It doesn't change how I feel about my team, and I'll still make my weekly trip down to the local sports bar for my weekly dose of Rams football. I know I'll have more bad Sundays this year than good, but I'll still be there. Hoping.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

If he's talking about the playoffs then by all means write us off. I'm sure nobody here realistically thought we were going to the playoffs anyway. I certainly didn't think so.

We're in full re-build mode. Can anybody tell me when a team in any sport made the playoffs after being in full re-build mode?

I take no offense in his statement, because it's no revelation to me to begin with.

Comment

Warren Sapp may be opinionated but calling him one of the most overated players of all times is way off base. He was an incredibly disruptive player and the core of a very dominant defense for a very long time.

I agree with the prior post that none of those teams listed has a chance to make the playoffs. If that is Sapp's point, i dont see how anyone can disagree. No reason we cant keep the faith and fight every week, but realistically, the talent level just isnt there right now for any of those teams.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Shut up Sapp... Why don't you get in more fights with Joanna Cruppa. Absoloutley noone cares about your opinion on Chris Long or the Rams as whole. I hate good players who switch to the booth and all of a sudden think they know everything about the game. Here's a headline you don't !!!

Comment

It's easy to say something that's obvious, the only star the Rams have is Steven Jackson.

Comment

I thought Oakland looked pretty good on monday. They barely lost to a team people are picking to be in the AFC championship game. It's still a little early to completely write those teams off but it's a pretty safe bet none of these teams will make the playooffs.

Comment

^^^ I agree with this.

I count Sapp's comments as being completely off base solely on the fact that the Raiders actually played pretty well and should have won their game vs. San Diego. Aside from this, the season is one game old and anything can happen. The Dolphins lost their first two games last year and I'm sure plenty of people wrote them off. We still have a shot, regardless of whether Warren Sapp thinks so or not.

Comment

remember this is the same idiot who wanted to fight a former packers headcoach

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                              I found it amusing and thought others might too. I'll bet it becomes bulletin board material for the Rams locker room.
                              I wasn't referring to this thread in prticular, Mike. It's just a general point: people make far too much of what know-nothing types in the media think.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, and there are some "experts" and former players who are paid an awful lot of money for them, but that doesn't mean that they are right. Surely the drivel spouted by Sapp, Emmitt Smith et al must illustrate that just because someone is paid to do something, it doesn't mean that they're any good at it.

"Professionals know best" is one of the great myths of contemporary society and it really needs to be debased.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• jjigga3000
                                PUTTING THE SLEEPER TO BED (LONG READ) but good read
                                by jjigga3000
                                PUTTING THE SLEEPER TO BED.
                                By Bill Simmons
                                Page 2
                                www.espn.com

After five weeks of the 2006 NFL season, we've only learned 10 things:

1. If you're a QB, and you blow out a knee or smack your body up in a motorcycle accident, definitely take your time coming back. No rush. Seriously.

2. The Bears have a chance to be historically good.

3. The Raiders have a chance to be historically bad.

4. Drew Bledsoe has added a degree of difficulty for blowing big games. In the old days, he'd just throw a back-breaking interception at the worst possible time. But since everyone knows that's coming now, he added a fascinating wrinkle: An improbable play to throw us off and make us forget he's about to blow the game (like last week's fourth-and-18 bomb to Glenn), followed by the back-breaking interception that becomes doubly back-breaking because of the preceding events.

WEEK 5 REDUX
                                Last week's picks found me on the wrong side of three killer gambling moments:

1. With the Pats giving 10 and headed for a push, Maroney gets a game-clinching first down inside Miami's 20, only nobody tackles him, so he keeps going and it looks like he's going to score ... NO! He gets pushed out at the 4-yard line. That's followed by three Brady kneels.

2. The Browns are getting 8.5 points and trailing by 11. Fourth down, 15 seconds left. Instead of taking one more crack at the end zone, Romeo Crennel sends out the FG team for the cover. This actually happened.

3. The killer of killers: Getting 6.5 points, the Lions are trailing by two at midfield and it's fourth-and-10 with less than 90 seconds to play. Kitna scrambles, two guys pull him down ... and as he's falling, he flips it right to a Vikings lineman, who scrambles untouched for a clinching TD and the cover. I hate gambling.

5. You're not winning a Super Bowl with Brett Favre or Steve McNair. They're both washed up. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's true.

6. San Diego has the most talent in the AFC. Unfortunately, the Chargers also have an uptight coach who runs his team about as loosely as Ted Knight handled his daughters in "Too Close For Comfort."

(Note: Sadly, that show was canceled 21 years ago, making the reference Bermanian for everyone younger than 30. Normally I avoid doing this, but I have two defenses: First, it's the perfect comparison. You really had to see the show. And second, Ted Knight was a comedic genius. So I'm standing by the reference. Now if I only had a clip of me and Glenn Frey standing outside the Hotel California. Back to the column.)

7. If you're getting points with the Lions on the road and covering in the final minute, and the Lions have the ball, and they're driving, and the only way you could ever lose is if Jon Kitna fumbles a touchdown, throws an interception...
                                -10-13-2006, 10:26 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                Entering the 'black hole'
                                by RamWraith
                                By Jim Thomas
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                12/17/2006

OAKLAND, Calif. The bus will pull up, past the Hell's Angels in the parking lot. As the Rams pile off the bus, 50 to 100 Raiders fans will finish their hot dogs, put down their beverages, and "greet" the Rams with obscene words and gestures.

When the Rams walk on the field for pregame activities, it will be Halloween in December. Painted faces, ornamental horns and spikes, tattoos. ... And those are just the women. Fans from age 7 to 70 will greet the visitors with what former Mizzou coach Dan Devine once called "half of the peace sign." And one other thing, look out for the beer, uh, "falling" from the stands.

Welcome to the stadium now known as McAfee Coliseum, home of the Oakland Raiders. The silver-and-black's winning tradition is a mere memory these days. The Raiders have enjoyed only four winning seasons, and earned just three playoff berths since the end of the 1993 campaign. (Although one of them resulted in a Super Bowl appearance.)

Even so, the only tradition still going strong is the wacky fans, in the place known as the "Black Hole."

"I have some pretty funny stories from my younger years," Rams linebacker Isaiah Kacyvenski said.

Almost all of which, Kacvyenski added, are not suitable for publication in a family newspaper.

"For a young player, I could see how it could be intimidating going in there," Kacyvenski said.

One of those young players, Rams running back Steven Jackson, doesn't plan on being intimidated. But he does plan on being prepared.

"I'm going to leave my helmet on on the sideline," Jackson said.

So he's heard about the beverage tossing?

"I did hear that story," Jackson said, laughing.

It is here that the Raiders and Rams franchises that called Los Angeles home as recently as 1994 will attempt to salvage something from highly disappointing seasons. At 5-8, the Rams have won only one game since Oct. 8.

Win or lose, there's a good chance they will be eliminated from contention for postseason play by Sunday night.

As for the Raiders, the only thing they're in contention for is the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft. At 2-11, Oakland opened the season with five straight losses, managed to beat visiting Arizona and Pittsburgh in late October, and then proceeded to lose their next six.

Mr. Positive, Rams coach Scott Linehan, hasn't conceded anything regarding postseason play.

"Until someone tells me any different, we're still playing for everything," he said. "Stranger things happen and we're going to play it out that way."

But even some of his remarks were tinged with realism...
                                -12-17-2006, 05:23 AM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                This may be the oddest week I can remember.
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                I did a little research, and found something interesting.

The Rams actually won their last game.

Not only that... get this...

They won by a score of 52-0.

You wouldn't know this, however, by the discussions regarding the team since the game. Instead of talking about the big plays, the great effort by the defense, or the fact that the Rams have gone 4-3 (despite a really tough stretch) in the last 7 games, we are talking about political gestures, calls for discipline/apologies for those gestures, and Coach Fisher's irritation with excessive celebration penalties.

Maybe Stan Kroenke could buy another parcel of land in Los Angeles this week. That would really be the icing on the tangential discussion cake.

Maybe its just this year. After all, we started the season with the potential of coverage on the Oprah Network. Its only fitting that we're now being discussed and debated on Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, the Daily Show and the Colbert Report.

Anyone want to talk about football?
                                -12-03-2014, 07:58 AM
                              • RamFan_Til_I_Die
                                Which 0-3(4) Team will Win Last?
                                by RamFan_Til_I_Die
                                Of the teams without a win, who has the best shot of acomplishing the ultimate record in the NFL, the 0-16 finish, and join the 1976 Buccaneers (0-14) atop the list of the worst teams in NFL history?

The teams left are:

Detroit Lions (0-4)
                                Tennessee Titans (0-4)
                                Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-3)
                                Oakland Raiders (0-3)

For the full list of worst teams in NFL history see: http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/foot...ams/worst.html
                                -10-03-2006, 11:40 AM
                              • NJ Ramsfan1
                                7 teams in worse shape than the Rams
                                by NJ Ramsfan1
                                While I am not convinced we've "turned the corner" (it will take several more performances like the past two weeks to convince me as such...) I am VERY hopeful we could be headed in the right direction- and whenever I'm feeling down or angry, I try to remember it could be even worse: we could be one of these teams:

WORSE THAN THE RAMS:

1. Oakland- They top the list. The Raiders are an unqualified disaster- from top to bottom. They have an owner once revered for his football acumen who is now regarded as a clueless meddler. They've run through coaches like people go thru socks. They've drafted poorly. They have a QB in whom they've invested a lot of time and money who completely stinks. Their coach is a guy many feel shouldn't have been handed the job and is now under scrutiny for his treatment of women and for decking an assistant coach. And it's been this way since their Super Bowl appearance vs. Tampa Bay. It won't get better anytime soon.

2. Detroit- They've shown no capacity to make us believe they're making any real progress after a winless season. You could even make the argument that they're WORSE this year despite the 1 win; last year they had several near wins and were close. This year, Stafford has taken a beating and there's still a dearth of talent. Many hard times still lie ahead.

3. Cleveland- Horrendous. Hard to believe they were the trendy pick only a year ago to make the playoffs. They read their own press clippings, underachieved, and succeeded in getting their team broken up. Derek Anderson showed he's a fluke, but what's worse is this musical QB act by Eric Mangini, who is Bill Belichick minus the winning. Morale is at an all-time low, their offense is dreadful and if you have any doubts as to how bad this team is, hopefully you watched last night's snoozefest vs. Baltimore.

4. Kansas City- Boy, Matt Cassel certainly was the tonic this team needed, wasn't he? Fans are disenchanted following Tony Gonzalez' departure, the follies involving their idiot running back, Larry Johnson (since cut) and the lack of any real good football being played on either side of the ball. Todd Haley is yet another coordinator who benefitted from tremendous weapons that made him look good (Warner, Fitzgerald, Boldin, Breaston, etc.), became a "hot commodity" and has subsequently done nothing to show the Chiefs will be good anytime soon. And for good measure, they just suspended a reciever for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

5. Tampa Bay- Despite two decent weeks in succession, I don't see Tampa as a team in good shape. Raheem Morris (God, I'm glad he didn't get the Rams job as a few on the forum hoped) hardly looks the part of a guy who's a leader of men. Stingy ownership, a revolving door at QB, and the loss of quality players like Warrick Dunn, Mike Alstott, John Lynch and Derrick Brooks make this a major rebuilding job.
                                -11-17-2009, 05:49 PM
                              Working...
                              X