Ouch! Rams Lead NFL In Penalty Yards, Second In Total Penalties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch! Rams Lead NFL In Penalty Yards, Second In Total Penalties

This is a trend that can't continue if things are going to turn around. Surprising to me the numbers for a Spagnuolo coached team:

85 penalty yards to lead the NFL, tied for second with 10 total penalties.

On a positive note, the Rams are tied for fourth in the NFL with a +2 turnover margin.

Re: Ouch! Rams Lead NFL In Penalty Yards, Second In Total Penalties

Only hurts ourselves. The penalties just kill a offense and im pretty sure we could of been in the Seattle game if we would of not had so many gamebreaking penalties. This is just something you know Spags and the coaching staff is trying hard to iron out and you hope it shows on the field in coming weeks. The team beats themselves with such penalties and its sad to have that happen.

Comment

And those penalties are why we got down like we did, and took ourself right out of that game.

Comment

At least we can say we lead the league in something....:|

Truthfully, I think that we're going to improve on these penalties. Maybe not this week, but I would say that within the next few weeks we'll settle down. And maybe they'll give Incognito a tranquilizer dart and he'll quit being a problem.

Comment

Being rams fans I would think you would see it before I did. The majority of your penalties were holding penalties. How do lineman usually end up holding? It's because they are getting beat.

It sucks because eliminating the holding probably only means the d-line gets to your qb faster.The rams aren't terrible but they do have a bad line. Get yourself a better line and maybe a TE or another wr and the rams have just as good of a shot as anyone. Bulger can still play, infact I'd take him over campbell and Jackson is a beast who I would take over CP.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
            Flags leave Rams with little to salute
            by RamWraith
            By Jim Thomas
            ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
            12/06/2006

Three weeks after Veterans Day, the Rams took part in Flag Day this past Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome. But it was no celebration.

The Rams' season-high 126 yards in penalties against Arizona may have been an extreme. But unfortunately for coach Scott Linehan, it was merely the latest example of what's becoming a seasonlong trend.

Despite his efforts to minimize penalties, particularly of the pre-snap and post-whistle variety, Linehan's Rams are among the most penalized teams in the NFL this season.

Only Dallas (809) has been assessed more penalty yards than the Rams (721). And only Minnesota (93), Arizona (88) and Detroit (86) have been assessed more penalties than St. Louis (85).

Perhaps most disturbing is the fact that the Rams lead the league in false-start penalties this season (31). According to the STATS statistical firm, right tackle Alex Barron leads the NFL in false-start penalties (nine). Also according to STATS, center Richie Incognito is in a three-way tie for most holding penalties assessed (four).

Over the course of the season, dating to training camp, the Rams have run laps after practice because of pre-snap penalties such as false starts. When a "penalty" occurs in practice, the Rams repeat the play, according to Linehan.

"There's got to be some kind of consequence," Linehan said. "I think the emphasis has to be on holding that person, or persons, or group accountable to those things."

But there's only so much that can be done in the middle of a season. By league rule, players cannot be fined for such things as too many penalties. Bench Barron, you say? And replace him with ... who?

"You've got to overcome penalties," Incognito said following Sunday's 34-20 loss to Arizona. "They're going to happen. But when you've got that many, at critical times, it's tough."

There was a time when the Rams' offense was good enough to overcome penalties, sacks, and almost whatever obstacles were thrown at them. The 1999 Super Bowl championship team, for example, was penalized 113 times the 10th-highest total in franchise history.

The '06 Rams are on pace for exactly that many penalties this season 113. But the team isn't good enough offensively, defensively, or on special teams to consistently overcome that many flags. Which is why Linehan has stressed smart football since the start of his tenure: limiting errors, penalties and turnovers.

Even on the heels of Marc Bulger's three interceptions against Arizona, the Rams have done a good job limiting turnovers. Only six teams have fewer giveaways than the Rams' 16. But penalties are another matter.

"You would think it shouldn't happen," running back Steven Jackson said. "And...
            -12-06-2006, 04:51 AM
          • Guam rammer
            Penalties
            by Guam rammer
            For three quarters we killed ourselves with penalties. against that type of team in a road game it its almost impossible to come back with a 21 point deficit. Almost though is a good way to describe todays game. Bradford again brought the team back with some solid play. If we stop them with 2:09 and two T/O left it would've been interesting to see what we could've done. Question is, should we have kicked an onside? its one of those things as a head coach if you trust your defense or not.
            -09-15-2013, 01:28 PM
          • RamFan_Til_I_Die
            'You can't let passion turn into anger': Rams pay for penalties in loss to Seattle
            by RamFan_Til_I_Die
            'You can't let passion turn into anger': Rams pay for penalties in loss to Seattle
            News-Democrat

SEATTLE -- The St. Louis Rams paid for their penalties, especially a too-many-men-on-the-field infraction that negated a touchdown off a blocked field goal late in the first half, during a 28-0 season-opening loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday.

The Rams had 10 penalties for 85 yards. They had four false start penalties and three unnecessary roughness penalties.

"I just got done saying to the guys that I love the fact that we have a lot of passionate football players, but you can't let passion turn into anger or get you off your game,'' Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said.

The Rams got a quick start on the penalties as right guard Richie Incognito was flagged for a false start on the team's first offensive play from scrimmage.

"There's a stat in this league that I think says if you get a penalty on any offensive series, then your chances of scoring a touchdown goes down to like 14 percent,'' Spagnuolo said.

The volatile Incognito also was flagged for two 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalties.

The first penalty was for shoving a Seattle player after a 2-yard run by Steven Jackson in the first quarter.

"The first one was just me losing my cool,'' Incognito said. "It was chippy. It was an exciting atmosphere. This is a great place to play in. I'm really disappointed in myself. I lost my cool on that one.''

Spagnuolo pulled Incognito out of the game and replaced him with Adam Goldberg after he got charged with the second unnecessary roughness penalty in the third quarter.

"When that happens to anybody, they get wrapped up in the moment,'' Spagnuolo said. "I talked with Richie. We have a lot more games to go, and we'll go from here. I told him that I still had confidence in him. I don't lose confidence in a guy on one game. I think Richie is one of our passionate guys, I really do. I think he plays his butt off. Sometimes you have to temper that a little bit, that's all.''

Incognito was back in the game in the fourth quarter.

"I am really disappointed in letting my teammates down, I let my coaches down,'' Incognito said. "I feel really bad about letting Spags down. But, we're professionals. We pick ourselves up and move forward.''

The most devastating penalty came after C.J. Ah You blocked a field goal, and Quincy Butler picked up the loose ball and ran 51 yards for a touchdown with 59 seconds left in the first half.

The replay assistant called for a review, and the play was reversed because the Rams had 12 men on the field.

"That's me,'' Spagnuolo said of the penalty. "Somehow that has to get ironed out, I'll take the blame for that. I'm sure guys will be accountable in there,...
            -09-14-2009, 08:47 AM
          • Trevor
            Penalties
            by Trevor
            So I was bored and decided to look at the Rams team stats. I noticed that the Rams led the league in penalties committed and the Rams are dead last in 1st downs completed.

I don't recall this statistic being posted here so I thought I'd share. I think the 1st downs being dead last is due to the drive killing penalties the team likes to commit. This should definitel be something the Rams work on during the offseason. I thought we got rid of Alex Barron..
            -04-06-2013, 07:55 AM
          • tomahawk247
            Marquez catch and run and subsequent penalties
            by tomahawk247
            This isn't an excuse for the Rams loss, I just want to discuss this chain of events and get my head round it.

I was surprised that Marquez's 31 yard catch and run was wiped out, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me. The catch was made and the yardage gained. Britt had the block in the back at the very end of Marquez's run, and Marquez gained no yardage as a result of the block.

Here is the gamebook line on the play:
            (11:47) (Shotgun) 17-C.Keenum pass deep middle to 15-B.Marquez to BAL 18 for 31 yards [54-Z.Orr]. Penalty on STL-18-K.Britt, Illegal Block Above the Waist, offsetting, enforced at BAL 49 - No Play. Penalty on BAL-57-C.Mosley, Unnecessary Roughness, offsetting. Penalty on STL-71-G.Reynolds, Unnecessary Roughness, offsetting.

The Illegal Block Above the Waist is the block in the back penalty and is ten yards. I'm pretty sure its applied at the spot of the foul like in To me this should mean that you take ten yards off at the end of the play. That makes it a 21 net gain.
            I would think its applied similar to a holding penalty, so if it happened at or behind the LOS its a 10 yard penalty from there, but if a hold happens downfield its 10 yards from the spot of the foul.

The unnecessary roughness call on CJ Mosley was as a result of him hitting Marquez after Marquez was down by contact, which can only occur after the play. Garrett Reynolds then hit Mosley for this late hit, drawing another Unnecessary Roughness penalty.

Now, the play was wiped out as all three penalties were apparently offsetting, requiring a replay of down.

But to me, there was one penalty during the play, which was the block in the back. Nothing to offset that. You apply the ten yards from the spot of the foul and the Rams still gained 21 yards on Marquez's catch. The play started at the Baltimore 49 so the Rams would have had the ball with a first down on the Baltimore 28.

The two unnecessary roughness penalties were after the play, and were on either team. Therefore they offset. Therefore the ball should have stayed at the 28.

The way the refs called it, the Rams remained at the 49, missed on the long third down (of course) and punted.

Have I missed something here as to why these penalties were offsetting? Surely the moment the play ends on Marquez being down by contact, it starts a separate chain of penalties? To me, it's no different than Marquez getting down then a fight starting between the two teams well after the play but before the next snap. You don't offset the penalties against the previous play in that situation do you just because the play before had a penalty right?
            -11-23-2015, 03:17 AM
          Working...
          X