• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spagnuolo Blasts Rams With "Hail To The Redskins"

09.18.2009 3:12 pm
    Spagnuolo blasts Rams with “Hail to the Redskins”
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The players were expecting simulated crowd noise when the loudspeakers were turned on during practice Friday at Rams Park. Instead, they got heavy doses of “Hail to the Redskins,” the annoying Washington fight song. It was coach Steve Spagnuolo’s idea as the Rams prepared for Sunday’s game at FedEx Field.

“I guess I’ll take credit for that one. I did,” he said. “I thought about it. I’ve heard it a lot.”

Spagnuolo went against the Redskins 20 times during his years on the defensive staffs of the Eagles and Giants, fellow NFC East squads.

Notes & quotes:

*Spagnuolo was pleased with how the Rams responded in practice this week after the 28-0 shelling they absorbed in Seattle. “They were really focused today,” he said. “Now, there were mistakes all over the place on Wednesday and Thursday, like there normally are. We’re putting in a new game plan and we’re seeing a new team. But I see a lot of guys out there that care. That’s the beginning part. If you have that, you’ve got a chance.”

*S Craig Dahl (hamstring) and G John Greco (wrist) won’t make the trip to D.C. Both could be back next week.

*Newcomer Leger Douzable, a 6-4, 305-pound defensive tackle signed to the practice squad Thursday, worked with the scout team.

*T Eric Young, cut Tuesday, is back with the Rams. He was assigned to the practice squad. WR Sean Walker was released from the practice squad.

*Former St. Louis Cardinals running back Stump Mitchell is the Redskins’ assistant head coach/running backs coach.

*QB Marc Bulger needs two completions to become the Rams’ career leader. Jim Everett (1986-93) is the current leader, with 1,847 (in 353 more attempts than Bulger).

All for now . . .

Re: Spagnuolo Blasts Rams With "Hail To The Redskins"

Man, that's gotta be one annoying practice. haha

I'm excited to play guys! Let's hope we can come out like we did in the first half against Seattle, without the opening fumble.

Comment

So for all the crap bulger takes...he is about to be the rams career completions leader and its not even close (353 less attempts). Wow. props to you marc

Comment

Originally posted by Alec22 View Post
        So for all the crap bulger takes...he is about to be the rams career completions leader and its not even close (353 less attempts). Wow. props to you marc
        Exactly. But no one gives him the respect he deserves because the TEAM can't win games. :|

Comment

That is the most annoying song ever!

Comment

At least it is a real song, not just "here we go steelers, here we go" or something equally simple.

I love that Spags played it for them during practice. I'll bet they are thinking forward to the game instead of thinking about the seahawks.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ramer View Post
              That is the most annoying song ever!
              Of course it would be to a non-skins fans. But we love it. Its heritage. I have been hearing that as long as I can remember being in diapers!

Comment

I'm all up for using everything possible to get the team motivated. I do like that Spags said the team seemed more "focus."
                Because focus would have cut out several of those bonehead penalties last week.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• HUbison
                  After first practice, Spagnuolo says he now feels like coach of the St. Louis Rams
                  by HUbison
                  After first practice, Spagnuolo says he now feels like coach of the St. Louis Rams
                  By Bill Coats
                  St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Steve Spagnuolo adjourned his first practice — a 90-minute workout on the outdoor fields at Rams Park — Thursday afternoon and said that he finally felt like the head coach of the Rams. “I’d say that’s a pretty accurate statement, because this is what we do as coaches, this is what we enjoy doing,” Spagnuolo said. “So it was great to be out here and be with the players.”

Spagnuolo reported that all 64 players on the roster were in attendance and that wide receiver Derek Stanley, who is coming off knee surgery, was the only one who couldn’t do at least some of the drills. The main purpose of the three-day minicamp is to “evaluate the talent, learn how to practice and go over the basic fundamentals,” Spagnuolo said.

“What we’re trying to do is make our practices efficient, uptempo,” he explained. “We would like to not condition after practice; we would like to condition in the practice. I thought they did a really good job of that today for the first day, I really did.”

Another practice was scheduled for this afternoon.

All for now . . . more later.
                  -04-02-2009, 12:30 PM
                • r8rh8rmike
                  Spagnuolo Applauds Rams' Practice Habits
                  by r8rh8rmike
                  12.02.2009 3:57 pm
                  Spagnuolo applauds Rams’ practice habits
                  By Bill Coats
                  St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Practice had wrapped up about 15 minutes earlier, but the indoor facility at Rams Park still was crowded with players.

“Look at them,” St. Louis Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “I mean, practice is over and about half the team’s out there working. I think that says a lot. But I’ll tell you what, that’s typical of this group. They amaze me every week, going through what we’re going through, to come out and practice they way they do.”

Despite their 1-10 record, dampened further by an dispiriting 27-17 loss to a flagging Seahawks outfit three days earlier at the Edward Jones Dome, Wednesday’s practice was uptempo and upbeat. “They came out with a little bit of energy and practiced pretty good,” Spagnuolo said. “That’s a good thing to start the week.” (There are no practices on Mondays and Tuesdays.)

Notes & quotes:

*These players sat out Wednesday: QB Marc Bulger (leg), FB Mike Karney (neck), T Jason Smith (concussion), C Jason Brown (knee) and RB Steven Jackson (back). Spagnuolo said he was optimistic that Brown and Jackson could return Thursday.

*Smith, who took a blow to the head Nov. 22 vs. the Cardinals and didn’t play vs. the Seahawks, won’t take another follow-up neuro exam “until he feels like he’s completely fine,” Spagnuolo said. “Obviously, he’s still feeling effects of it, so they’re just going to wait.”

*LB James Laurinaitis has two sore shoulders, but he was a full participant Wednesday. “That’s life as a middle linebacker in the NFL,” Spagnuolo said.

*G Richie Incognito, who has missed four games with a foot sprain, worked with the first-team offense and said that barring a setback, he expects to play Sunday in Chicago.

*This week’s captains are QB Kyle Boller (offense), DE Leonard Little (defense) and LB David Vobora (special teams).
                  -12-02-2009, 07:53 PM
                • r8rh8rmike
                  St. Louis Rams' Steve Spagnuolo Takes Stock Of Team
                  by r8rh8rmike
                  St. Louis Rams' Steve Spagnuolo takes stock of team

BY BILL COATS
                  ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                  11/04/2009

At the halfway mark of the season, the Rams find themselves in last place in the NFC West, last in the NFL in scoring (77 points) and last in the league in points yielded (221).

But they did hit the midway point — and their bye week — on the heels of their first win in more than a year, a 17-10 triumph Sunday in Detroit. So, coach Steve Spagnuolo's informal "State of the Team" address Tuesday was generally upbeat.

"There were some struggles; there were some good things," he said. "But we've built something. We talked this morning about the foundation we wanted to build. There's some trust, there's mutual respect, there's unity on the team. I think more than anything, we take that away" from the opening eight games.

The Rams were blown out five times, crushed 179-33 in those routs. Still, with a couple of breaks they could've pulled out wins at Washington and Jacksonville and stand 3-5 instead of 1-7.

"It was a rough road, let's face it; we had seven losses," Spagnuolo noted. "But to see what the guys did — and I'm not talking about on the field — what they did as people and what they did together, that probably sticks in my head more than anything."

And Spagnuolo firmly believes that his group can compete with anyone on the second half of the schedule. That includes unbeaten New Orleans, which visits the Edward Jones Dome on Nov. 15.

"There's always things to work on; every team goes through that," Spagnuolo said. "But we've got enough talent here, we've got guys that want to work at it, we've got guys that can make plays. We've just got to keep plugging away.

"We're going to play some good football teams, and hopefully we'll be playing some good football, too."

NEW CORNERBACK

In yet another roster move, cornerback Danny Gorrer has been signed off the Saints' practice squad. Wide receiver Tim Carter was released to open a spot for Gorrer on the 53-man roster.

Gorrer, a 6-foot, 185-pound rookie from Texas A&M, joined the Saints as an undrafted free agent. He was getting ready to leave for the Superdome and Monday night's game against Atlanta when he was rerouted to the airport.

"I was very surprised. I called my agent to see if they were joking," Gorrer said. "When I got to St. Louis, I caught the second half."

INJURY UPDATE

Guard Jacob Bell, who sustained a concussion Sunday, passed his neurological exam Tuesday morning but sat out practice. Spagnuolo said Bell would practice today.

Wide receiver and returner Danny Amendola, who also suffered a concussion, remained on the sideline Tuesday. He still...
                  -11-03-2009, 11:18 PM
                • Rambos
                  Rams' Spagnuolo ready for new challenge
                  by Rambos
                  ST. LOUIS — New St. Louis Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo knows the easy part is over.

"It's nice to be 3-1 after the preseason, but like I told the players last night, the score counted when we played the games," Spagnuolo said Friday, one day after the Rams beat the Kansas City Chiefs 17-9. "It doesn't matter now. We're moving on.

"I'm perfectly aware that all of this is a honeymoon period. The real challenge is upcoming."

That challenge begins for St. Louis on Sept. 13, when the Rams open the season in Seattle. The Seahawks have beaten the Rams eight straight times. Then again, a lot of people have beaten the Rams lately, as St. Louis has won just five games the past two seasons.

No one is expecting Spagnuolo to change that overnight. He does like the way the team's mental approach heading into the season.

"I think we got a bunch of hungry guys. I think it's good to be hungry. When you get complacent, that's not a good thing. I do think it's a hungry football team. We've talked a lot about it and I think the guy's have embraced it."

However, plenty of question marks still remain. For instance, who will be under center when the Rams take the field in Seattle. Nine-year veteran Marc Bulger is the starter, but Bulger has been nursing a broken pinkie finger and has not played.

Bulger says he will be ready to start the season and Spagnuolo is counting on him.

"If he's ready to go, he goes," Spagnuolo said. "He threw in pregame last night. He felt comfortable throwing. It still comes down to taking the snap."

Another newcomer to St. Louis, Kyle Boller has started in Bulger's absence.

Another area of concern is the running game — on both sides of the ball. The Rams allowed more than 150 yards per game on the ground last season, and that area looked suspect during the preseason, particularly against Atlanta, when Falcons starters gouged Rams for two easy scores.

"We know if we had to pick out one area that we need to improve on both sides, it's in the running game, whether it's running it or stopping the run," Spagnuolo said. "I thought Atlanta came out and really took it to us. I don't think anybody felt great about that. And yet when challenged, the team bounced back against Cincinnati."

The Rams have yet to make any final roster moves. Spagnuolo said that he expects to make those by midday Saturday, but noted that the coaches were still evaluating players and positions.

One roster spot that might open up is on the defensive line. Spagnuolo reported Friday that 2007 first-round pick Adam Carriker suffered a "significant" injury to his right shoulder. He expects to have a final determination on Carriker's status Saturday.

Spagnuolo said the final cuts will be the toughest....
                  -09-05-2009, 10:09 AM
                • r8rh8rmike
                  Spagnuolo Isn't Ready To Panic
                  by r8rh8rmike
                  Spagnuolo isn't ready to panic

BY JIM THOMAS
                  Wednesday, September 21, 2011

With a season-opening schedule of Philadelphia and the New York Giants, who have combined to win nine of the past 11 NFC East titles, it's not necessarily surprising that the Rams are 0-2. It's more how they've gotten there.

"We're certainly not where we want to be, record-wise or performance-wise," coach Steve Spagnuolo said Tuesday, after reviewing tape of the Rams' 28-16 Monday night loss to the Giants. "But I will say this, we've always said this: It's not about how you start, it's how you finish. Now, you can only use that saying for so long because then you start running out of games."

Although concerned, Spagnuolo isn't about to panic, and he speaks from the vantage point of someone who was defensive coordinator of a Giants team in 2007 that lost its first two games— giving up 80 points in the process — and went on to win the Super Bowl. No one, Spagnuolo included, is saying that's going to happen here. But he's not giving up on the season, either, not three weeks into September.

"We'll just forge ahead," Spagnuolo said. "We've got some good coaches here and we've got some good players. Nobody here is going to feel sorry for us. We're not going to feel sorry for ourselves. And we're going to go back to work."

So he's locked into the task at hand, namely, addressing a long laundry list of areas that need improvement and preparing for another formidable foe this Sunday in the visiting Baltimore Ravens.

"What we intend to do is learn from what's happened so far and move forward," Spagnuolo said. "That's just how we operate and what we'll do. There are certain things that are very visible, that being turnovers and penalties."

He could add numerous other entries to the "very visible" list, such as red zone ineptitude, dropped passes and just plain dumb football. Falling into the latter category would be what happened to running back Cadillac Williams when he couldn't hang on to a backwards pass from quarterback Sam Bradford and then became a spectator as Giants linebacker Michael Boley scooped up the ball and raced 65 yards for a second-quarter touchdown.

As of Tuesday afternoon, Spagnuolo said he still hadn't talked to Williams about the play. That is, not counting Spagnuolo's sideline "lecture" immediately after the play. Other than players needing treatment, Tuesday was a day off for them.

During his postgame media session Monday at MetLife Stadium, Spagnuolo gave Williams the benefit of the doubt, saying that perhaps the team hadn't worked on or discussed what to do in such situations. However, any such benefit of the doubt was removed Tuesday.

"I do know this, in talking with the offensive coaches, we...
                  -09-21-2011, 03:32 PM
                Working...
                X