Looked better today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looked better today

I know, I know, I'm disapointed too. But we looked much better today than last week.

- Let me start by saying I was wrong about jumping to conclusions about Burton. He had a good game today

- We're still passing the ball too much. Jackson had some nice runs and we should have kept with it

- You can't blame Bulger for this loss. He was a little shaky early, but settled in and had a nice game

- On the play before the Avery fumble, Jackson had a HUGE hole if he just followed Karney. HUGE. Instead he bounced it outside and lost yards. He dances too much. When he puts his head down and follows his blockers he looks great. When he dances too much, he loses yards.

- We had a better pass rush today. Campbell is just really athletic, and tucked the ball down and ran. I thought we got in the QB's face a little better today than we did last week.

- We really needed those timeouts at the end of the game. Spags needs to fix the communication errors that are leading to our burned timeouts.

- Still too many penalties. Not as bad as last week, but still too many. This is on Spags too. He'll get it corrected

- Randy McMichael and Donnie Avery...seriously guys. McMichael can't block or catch. Avery dropped one or two today, and of course there was that BIG fumble that lost the game. He needs to learn to HOLD ON TO THE BALL INSTEAD OF DANCING FOR MORE YARDS!!!!!!

- Can't really blame Marc on that last drive. Where was the pass protection? Why didn't Avery try to come back to that ball on the last play?

Everything considered, I'm upset we lost but I'm excited at the same time. Every week were going to get better and better.

Re: Looked better today

Robinson had another good game and the opposing D once again changed their D to provide the safety help on him but Avery could not make them pay. I really think Burton needs to be #2 until Avery gets some confidence and shows he can hold on to the ball.

Comment

The direction and mindset we need to be in is to get better every week. Did we do that from last week to this week? Yes. Alright, I can take that. Now what we have to do is continue to get better every week. We must play better next week than we did this week. We must execute better next week that we did this week. If we do that, wins will come. It will just take some time to rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottD413
        - On the play before the Avery fumble, Jackson had a HUGE hole if he just followed Karney. HUGE. Instead he bounced it outside and lost yards.
        Yeah, He had a TD if he would have followed Karney. Anyone that was watching the telecast saw this as the play was reviewed by the fox team.

Then you get guys blaming the loss on Avery! How pathetic! I'm sure those individuals did not see the game. The fumble was just bad timing as he was coming down from catching the pass. He never had a good chance to tuck it away before the defenders head pops it out.

If you wanna blame anyone, then blame Jackson. Like Scott says the hole was HUGE and if he just follows Karney he scores.

:helmet:

Comment

[QUOTE=Ferter;304824]Yeah, He had a TD if he would have followed Karney. Anyone that was watching the telecast saw this as the play was reviewed by the fox team.

Then you get guys blaming the loss on Avery! How pathetic! I'm sure those individuals did not see the game. The fumble was just bad timing as he was coming down from catching the pass. He never had a good chance to tuck it away before the defenders head pops it out.

If you wanna blame anyone, then blame Jackson. Like Scott says the hole was HUGE and if he just follows Karney he scores.

It is NOT pathetic. I don't want to hear about timing: Donnie Avery needs to do a better job in that situation- period and end of story. A guaranteed field goal is on the table and he coughs it up. Can't happen.

This is not a case of me or others getting on a guy who made one mistake; Avery has demonstrated a propensity for poor ball security and was basically non-existent in this game. He's a 2nd round draft pick who has a year under his belt. It's time he starts stepping to the plate and helping out this football team this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferter View Post
            Avery catches the ball and come down with it he then procedes to try to spin away from the tackle and it results in a fumble, it was his fault he had time to tuck it away. I am not saying that this lose is his fault. D let some big plays go and jackson missed a few holes but regardless that fumble was his fault.

Comment

Originally posted by turfattack View Post
              Robinson had another good game and the opposing D once again changed their D to provide the safety help on him but Avery could not make them pay. I really think Burton needs to be #2 until Avery gets some confidence and shows he can hold on to the ball.
              Agreed, I really don't like Avery running routes either he seems to be scared of getting hit. I'd rather use him as a vertical threat. Robinson looked solid today and I wish we went back to Burton more.

Jackson had a solid running game. The offense was there we just picked the worst times to drop passes. Nice jump converting third downs too.

Comment

At least the Rams were able to move the ball, and the Defense looked great when it counted, Of course the Packers won't falter in the red zone so easy so we had better do something to lessen the big plays against us.

Comment

Thanks Scott! As soon as I saw this thread I opened it first, hoping it was for real, and I appreciate the view.

I know there's going to be much wailing, fussing and complaining (myself included) after today's loss but, again, nice to know we had some good looks during the game. We are most definitely rebuilding and suffering in the process. ...7 points in 8 quarters!?!

Now I'm on my way to GC's 'Good / Bad / Ugly' meeting although I'm a bit apprehensive of going there.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
                    It is NOT pathetic. I don't want to hear about timing: Donnie Avery needs to do a better job in that situation- period and end of story. A guaranteed field goal is on the table and he coughs it up. Can't happen.

This is not a case of me or others getting on a guy who made one mistake; Avery has demonstrated a propensity for poor ball security and was basically non-existent in this game. He's a 2nd round draft pick who has a year under his belt. It's time he starts stepping to the plate and helping out this football team this season.
                    It IS pathetic! I'm sorry you are too sensitive to hear about bad timing. It happens throughout every game for both teams. There are no guarantees! Especially field goals. The closest you will ever get to a guarantee was the previous play when Jackson could have walked into the endzone had he not made a bonehead decision. A HUGE mistake as compared to the unfortunate timing of the Avery Play.

Jackson has demonstrated an ability to dance at the line of scrimmage and miss holes. Jackson was a first round draft pick and has many years plus a HUGE contract under his belt. Jackson needs to do a better job in that situation - period and end of story.

Once it starts, the individual blame game can work in many ways, and it IS pathetic when it comes as a knee-jerk reaction from fans.

Football is the ultimate TEAM game!

Comment

Once it starts, the individual blame game can work in many ways, and it IS pathetic when it comes as a knee-jerk reaction from fans.

but. but. Your first sentence was blaming jackson how can you yell at us for blaming ave.........*head asplodes*

Comment

Originally posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
                        but. but. Your first sentence was blaming jackson how can you yell at us for blaming ave.........*head asplodes*
                        NO!

You mis-interpret my intent.

I'm not blaming Jackson for the loss like others are blaming Avery for the loss.

Also, I'm trying to deflect blame from Avery by showing that one can blame individuals all day long. The Jackson play just happens to be a prime example since it happened on the previous down to the Avery play.

Football is a TEAM game. The TEAM takes the loss or the win! Too many fans don't seem to understand this. I can only assume these fans have never played football on a TEAM, rather, they've only played the madden NFL video game.

Comment

NO!

Football is a TEAM game. The TEAM takes the loss or the win! Too many fans don't seem to understand this. I can only assume these fans have never played football on a TEAM, rather, they've only played the madden NFL video game.
                          agreed football is a team game and the rams as a team failed today everyone deserves blame even if only a little. But all considered it is starting to look up for the organization, we had a strong outing today. Sorry for misinterpreting your post

Comment

Pleasing thing was defence ... 9 points scored against. It is a start. Defence wins championships. Could have won the game but didn't .. i think we'll go into next week with some confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
                              agreed football is a team game and the rams as a team failed today everyone deserves blame even if only a little. But all considered it is starting to look up for the organization, we had a strong outing today. Sorry for misinterpreting your post
                              No problem!

I agree we had a strong outing and things are looking up. It was a hard fought game by both teams and it could have easily went our way.

I did not see any signs of our Rams giving up as was often visible in prior years.

This is a good young TEAM with what looks to be a solid coaching staff. It is a work in progress and they only have one direction to go.....UP!

GO DEM RAMS!!!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• schut39
                                What I got out of the game today
                                by schut39
                                Same as always I'm posting my thoughts of the game.

1. This team shows alot more intensity with Haslett as HC, they play all 4 quarters

2. They respond way better to things that go wrong for example the first cowboy's drive was a TD, but they came back with their own score.

3. Donnie Avery will probably be our no. 1 reciever when Torry Holt leaves us. He has shown us that he can stretch the field in these last 2 games and knows where the ball is.

4. This is my opinion, but I think it would've been nice to see Keenan Burton catch a few more balls.

5. If Steven Jackson is out for a week or so with his pulled quad, then we shouldn't be worried too much. Travis Minor was bustin off some big runs.

6. Our defensive backs contained T.O. and Roy Williams throughout the game. They both totalled 2 catches for 31 yards in the entire game. Our backs are really stepping it up. We had a little trouble with their backups though.

7. O.J. Atogwe is playing like he did last year. 2 picks on the day that helped us seal the deal. One pick was right over T.O., I bet he's gotta be mad.

8. Our o-line did a little bit better protecting against the run today than they did last week. They even allowed Travis Minor to get some big runs.

9. Steven Jackson had his biggest game of the year, we just have to be sure not to over work him.(quad injury)

10. We got 4 turnovers today, that is more than we have totalled all year, good job defense.

Add anything else that you got from the game today.

*Also, I read somewhere that Steven Jackson's injury was a quad pull or a bruise and hopefully it isn't too serious. He is to undergo an MRI*

-10-19-2008, 03:42 PM
                              • chiguy
                                Looking for a Bright Side?
                                by chiguy
                                By far the best part of the game for me was watching our young receivers have a nice game. The play calling had something to do with it, as did having a decent QB'ing performance. However, there were lots of nice things to like about what they did today.

Avery -- only dropped one pass, had a really nice run after the catch for a first down, and actually showed a couple of good routes. My concern with him has been a failure to get separation and he actually got some today. That's a sign of improvement.

Burtton -- he showed the kind of game you can expect from a third WR in the league. He caught things thrown to him, ran a great inside-outside route to get open for a bomb (Boller over threw it by three yards), and operated both inside and outside.

Amendola -- he's a much better returner than Stanley and showed some decent hands in the passing game. He doesn't look like he runs great routes, but he's not a bad guy to have on your team if he performs like that.

Between Robinson's performances earlier in the season and today, I have a lot more hope for the WRs than I did three weeks ago. If -- and its a big if -- they start to do this more consistently, we can worry a little bit less about WR and focus more on other positions next offseason. That would be a big help.
                                -10-11-2009, 07:55 PM
                              • 39thebeast
                                This isn't horseshoes, but....
                                by 39thebeast
                                First and foremost Bulger had a good game under constant pressure. Last year Avery won us this game this year he lost us this game to out it bluntly.

Avery should be carrying a ball all day around the facility and everyone from the players to the janiotors should try to strip it all day until he learns some ball security. The only time he shouldn't have a ball in his hands is when he is trying to catch full speed passes from a jug machine or marc Bulger. also he needs to work on blocking since every big run we've had this year Avery has been called for a penalty. 2 horrible games in a row I'm not giving up on him, but he's definately demoted to number 2.

We still need better pass protection, and better play from guys not named Robinson and Jackson. We definately need to get more consistent pressure, QBs have way to much time against us. If we got more pressure our defense would really take it to the next level IMO.

On the bright side. Play calling much better this week. We used alot more Karney and we used S-Jax in vairety of ways and he was great. We gave up alot to the TE early then we locked up on him. Excellent day for the defense. It was alot of ben don't break, but they definately made plays when we needed them most. They are gonna need some help from the offense if we want to take this thing to the next level. S-jax excellent we got him the ball. Robinson by far number 1 reciever everyone else needs to step it up. O-line much better run blocking especially cogs who I shreded last week.

All in all huge week to week improvement IMO. Saw somethings i really liked
                                -09-20-2009, 01:19 PM
                              • general counsel
                                Dolphins Edge Rams 16-12; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
                                by general counsel
                                In what can best be described as an incredibly boring game, the Dolphins beat the Rams today in front of what appeared to be a 2/3 filled Ed Jones Dome in St Louis. Nearly all of us have agreed that NFL games are won and lost on the line of scrimmage. Today, that was not really the case as both teams ran the ball pretty well and neither did any material damage in the air. The difference today was twofold. Turnovers and redzone performance. The Good news for Rams fans? We were not out of the game by halftime. The return of Steven Jackson (and Orlando Pace) sparked the Rams previously deceased running game into life and allowed us to control the ball in the first half. However, Jackson appeared to run out of gas down the stretch (he did not play much if at all in the last two drives) and Marc Bulger threw three interceptions while the Rams maintained their DEAD LAST IN THE NFL position in terms of TD conversion in the redzone to seal the loss (We were at 29.4% before our 0-3 today). From a scheme standpoint, the Rams abandoned the BEND AND BREAK defense that they have employed for the last three weeks and the 16 points we allowed today certainly reflected a massive improvement.

The Good

People should stop complaining about Steven Jackson. He is a superstar. He makes position yardage time and time again after the first hit. He drags defenders. He runs very hard and has good hands. I dont buy for a second that the injury was a result of missing training camp. The injury was a result of him being on the field at a point in the dallas game where he should have been on the bench. With any kind of blocking, Jackson shows burst up the middle that other backs his size can only dream of. He had a very solid day (and a great first half) with 21-94 (1 catch 16) but he was 15-72 at half. Did haslett overuse him in the first half or did he get reinjured? Impossible to say. All we know is that the Big Boy was not on the field for a number of two crucial third downs, was on the bench with the game on the line (in part because his pass protection skills still stink) and watched from the sideline while pittman dropped two well set up screen passes. The Rams are an entirely different team with Jackson. Without him, we are as bad as anyone in the nfl. There are many reasons whey we have looked so bad recently, but playing without The Big Boy is sure high on the list.

People should stop saying that Pace needs to retire and that he is done. Do we need to draft an offensive tackle? Absolutely. Is Pace nearing his physical limits? Of course. Is he done skill wise? Not a chance. He was one on one with Joey Porter today who came in leading the NFL in sacks. Porter never got near bulger and had one tackle all day. Ramming Speed to the Big Man!

OJ had 9 tackles, a forced fumble and a near diving INT. He needs to be signed (third week in a row i have said that)

Another good day...
                                -11-30-2008, 02:11 PM
                              • general counsel
                                Rams fall 23-16 to Patriots; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
                                by general counsel
                                Despite the absence of Steven Jackson and Adam Carriker and mid-game injuries to Ron Bartell (head) and Leonard Little (hamstring), the new Haslett-tough Rams battled valiantly on the road before dropping a tight game to Darth Hoodie and the Belicheats . This was indeed a gutsy performance by a team that bears no semblance of any kind to the pathetic squad in the horns under Scott Loserhan. The Haslett led Rams are risk taking fighters that play to win, rather than trying not to lose. They fight to the end regardless of adversity and one-sided officiating (9 penalties for 63 yards for the Rams and NO PENALTIES for the Patriots). They utilize the resources they have an are integrating rookies (Long, Avery, Burton) who will be core players for years to come. Like many NFL games, this one came down to a few critical plays separating the teams. A break here or there and this one could have gone the other way. Our failure to convert in the red zone was probably the difference between winning and losing today. Poor red zone performance along with an inability to get pressure on a young qb, coupled with the fact that we were missing by far our best weapon in The Big Boy, were simply a little too much to overcome today.

The Good

Haslett had the Rams ready to play again today and i expect that will be the case for the rest of the year. The fire in the team is obvious regardless of the game circumstances. Haslett boldly went for it on 4th and 1 on our own 40 early in the game and converted an onside kick to start the second half. I love the mentality of trying to win, rather than playing not to lose. I didnt love the running up the middle multiple times down by the goal line, i thought we should have tried harder to throw it into the end zone, but on the whole, i think you have to say "job well done" to Haslett today. Missing Jackson really limits his weapons and choices on offense.

For the second week in a row, i ask whether anyone still has a problem with the Donnie Avery pick (6 catches 163 yards and a td). We have the deep threat we have been missing since curtis left and there is no limit to Avery's upside as he gains experience and learns the hot reads (which he missed twice today). I love how he goes up in traffic to get the ball in addition to his ability to make guys miss after the catch. If this was the guy Linehan wanted, at least we can say that he did one positive thing for the team while he was here.

Marc Bulger had a solid game today and i thought the announcer (pearson) was far too harsh. Bulger was 18-34-301 yards, 1 td and 1 int (which came on what was basically a desparation throw at the end). When bulger had time, he was pretty deadly. Sure he missed a couple of throws and you know he isnt the most mobile guy in the world, but he made some great deep throws in addition to some terrific out routes. I think its easy to say "get rid of the ball and...
                                -10-26-2008, 02:20 PM
                              Working...
                              X