This isn't horseshoes, but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This isn't horseshoes, but....

First and foremost Bulger had a good game under constant pressure. Last year Avery won us this game this year he lost us this game to out it bluntly.

Avery should be carrying a ball all day around the facility and everyone from the players to the janiotors should try to strip it all day until he learns some ball security. The only time he shouldn't have a ball in his hands is when he is trying to catch full speed passes from a jug machine or marc Bulger. also he needs to work on blocking since every big run we've had this year Avery has been called for a penalty. 2 horrible games in a row I'm not giving up on him, but he's definately demoted to number 2.

We still need better pass protection, and better play from guys not named Robinson and Jackson. We definately need to get more consistent pressure, QBs have way to much time against us. If we got more pressure our defense would really take it to the next level IMO.

On the bright side. Play calling much better this week. We used alot more Karney and we used S-Jax in vairety of ways and he was great. We gave up alot to the TE early then we locked up on him. Excellent day for the defense. It was alot of ben don't break, but they definately made plays when we needed them most. They are gonna need some help from the offense if we want to take this thing to the next level. S-jax excellent we got him the ball. Robinson by far number 1 reciever everyone else needs to step it up. O-line much better run blocking especially cogs who I shreded last week.

All in all huge week to week improvement IMO. Saw somethings i really liked

Re: This isn't horseshoes, but....

Burton started to step it up too. A few good plays by Keenan.

The defense looked much improved. Almost had a safety, Chris Long and Hall jumping on Campbell to take him down. That was quite the site. Need more of it. Ah You almost got a sack too, but Campbell just out ran him.

Steven Jackson got the ball more, and look at the result. In the game all the way till the last minute. We need to give him the ball more, but he made a mistake one play where he jumped right rather than going up the middle.

Bulger looked sharp when he needed to. Knocked down a few times, hit hard a few times. But overall, looked absolutely sharp. If anyone blames this game on him, they are just ignorant.

Comment

One problem I saw was their use of timeouts and I put that on the coach

Comment

Originally posted by netminder View Post
        One problem I saw was their use of timeouts and I put that on the coach
        Good post. I thought we brought Martz back for this game.

Comment

I wonder what the bulger bashers have to say about this one. Because it is clear who lost the game.

Comment

We'll tbh I would call the skins offense "drive but dont score" before I say your defense was "bend but don't break". What you witnessed was not amazing redzone defense, it was standard washington redskins football. This happened all last season and the detroit lions actually scored more points then the skins did.

Not to take anything away from you guys but I don't want you disappointed and thinkng your defense had another set back when they play a compitent offense that can score in the redzone. gg though.

Comment

Originally posted by 39thebeast View Post
              I wonder what the bulger bashers have to say about this one. Because it is clear who lost the game.
              Yes, it is clear, Jackson lost the game, if you are going to TRY to blame it on one player ....

Comment

Originally posted by Mooselini View Post
                Good post. I thought we brought Martz back for this game.
                if we brought Martz back for this game we would have scored more than 7 points.

Comment

I'd gladly give up 3 time-outs for 31 points per game. I'm sure someone out there knows how many games we were skunked with M. Martz.

Comment

Originally posted by LDJOHN55 View Post
                    I'd gladly give up 3 time-outs for 31 points per game. I'm sure someone out there knows how many games we were skunked with M. Martz.
                    You do realize that Martz offense does not work in the NFL anymore, right?

Comment

Originally posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
                      You do realize that Martz offense does not work in the NFL anymore, right?
                      maybe not, but it worked back in the day for the GSOT.

Comment

Originally posted by jkramsfan View Post
                        if we brought Martz back for this game we would have scored more than 7 points.
                        Now thats the truth ! !
                        Torry Holt Dont play that

Comment

Originally posted by jkramsfan View Post
                          maybe not, but it worked back in the day for the GSOT.
                          Unless we can convince our opposition to jump in a time machine so we can all travel back and play the game eight to ten years ago, I'm not sure what good that does us now.

Comment

I'm extremely encouraged by the performance in this game.

Bulger played very well under duress & a lot of heavy hits. Some of those throws, esp the ones to Burton, were vintage Marc.

I am amazed at Cogs' performance. Not that he was great but to be the so-called " marked man" & make more positive plays than negative was quite an accomplishment. I don't even mind the holding call; it was of the good variety,imo. He kept his QB from taking an even worse pile-on. Keep it up, Mungo.

I think Shurmur, with probably a lot of input from our Skin-savvy HC, had a much better game plan although I think not using Darby as a change-up in the late going was a tactical mistake

The last drive was the only time I really screamed at the screen all game. I'll never understand why SJ didn't get the ball on first or second down.

Even the DL looks to be getting closer to putting on significant QB pressure. Where the heck did this Ramsey guy come from?! Don't answer that; I know his background. I just didn't expect to see him making the plays Hollis was presumably brought in to make.

Not there yet but the fog is visibly beginning to lift,imo.

Flajole deserves props for his halftime adjustments to quiet Cooley.

I remain concerned about Wade. He's ok in man but seems lost in zone; totally indecisive. Bartell seems to be shaking the rust off,too.

I'm as disappointed in the play of Avery and Randy as anyone but these guys really do seem to be pressing a bit. And SJ still needs to trust his blocking more. That's two weeks in a row,imo, that he's second-guessed the play & missed a big opportunity.

I think, if this clear but incremental improvement of the team overall continues, all three will be making big plays later in the season.

I'd say we lost this game because of youthful mistakes, not a lack of talent.Certainly not because of a lack of effort and tough competitive teamwork. I would have walked out of FedEx proud to be a Rams fan.

Let's surprise the Slackers. Wish I could be there for The Bash. Bring us the mojo needed for our first win , ClanRam.
                            Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-21-2009, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsInfiniti
                              Rams-Cardinals Analysis from 12/07 .....
                              by RamsInfiniti
                              I really don't know how this going to come off, because I am sick as a dog. But here it is, and woohoo, my 1000th post! When I first posted here last year, I never thought I'd get sucked in like this. But I love this board. It is hands down the best Rams board out there, so don't buy into the hype of other impersonators ....

I have to say, and this may sound nuts, but the Rams have made me hate watching other NFL games this season. Yes, HATE watching them. Yesterday, I watched the Packers take on the Texans and I watched the Lions take on the Vikings, pretty much at the same time. As much as the Lions suck, given they are 0-13, they fought tooth and nail until the very end. Every single player gave 100% effort no matter the situation. And the Packers, well, they have to be the best 5-8 team of all-time. I cannot fathom how they only have 5 wins with that ball-hawking defense. Seems they have problems in the red zone, imagine that ...

It just makes me sad to watch other teams play, no matter what their record, Every other team in the league seems to give a solid effort from top to bottom, win or lose. I cannot say the same for the Rams given what I saw in the fourth quarter. It was quite disgusting to see both Pittman and Looker quit as passes him them right in the hands in the final minutes, only to be dropped ....

Anyway, here is what I saw ...

QUARTERBACKS - Outside of the Cowboys game, this was Marc's best effort of the year. He looked more comfortable in the pocket this week, and it seemed they utilized a new dropback where Bulger rolled off to the right before setting to throw. This often gave him several seconds to throw. It seems his confidence in the line may be growing. He threw two passes that resulted in first downs with heavy pressure coming at him. He would have went down on these throws a few weeks ago. He also made some beautiful passes into tight spots, including a swing pass to Pittman and a pass down the seam to Fells (!). Bulger is clearly frustrated with Avery, and rightfully so, as the rookie continually seems to be out of position and unaware of what is going on around him. Bulger threw a perfect pass at him for a hot read that would have gone for a big gain, but Avery never saw it. Bulger was animated over this for those that say he shows no emotion and fire. Bulger did miss Avery wide open down the sideline late in the game. Ultimately, no way Bulger could have succeeded with the playcalling in this game. The vanilla screens that Saunders calls for are sad, and we hardly ever throw the ball downfield, despite no found options in the rookies and Daniel Fells(!). The INT is clearly on Bulger, but at that point, it was for not. I really have a hard time faulting the man for trying to make a play when he is not given even basic tools (playcalling) to begin. I believe I even saw Bulger audible once or twice in this game. It should be noted that Bulger completes 70% if not...
                              -12-08-2008, 09:40 AM
                            • RamsFan16
                              RamsFan16's thoughts on the game.
                              by RamsFan16
                              Hello ClanRam family! I just wanted to congradulate the Rams on an absolutely great effort today on the Gridiron Battlefield. It's the first time in a long time that I was absolutely proud to be a Rams fan ( I always am proud, but even though we lost, I feel like we won ). We didn't get the win, but we got the next best thing... A chance to take down the best team in the NFC and possibly the NFL and came up a pass short. Anyways, let's get this ball rollin'!

Positives:
                              - Steven Jackson, the guy is an obvious beast, wants to win and just dominates. Fans who always questioned his heart are currently feasting on crow week in, and week out ( Hopefully they don't grab the Swine Flu ). The best thing about this, is that he doesn't want to leave St. Louis, he sees what is going to be in St. Louis and that's great football, great RAMS FOOTBALL. He wants to be here when it happens and retire as a Ram, he wants to be a part of something special.

- The Offensive Line as a whole, they first half they did a great job, and the second half they did well too. They're really starting to gel and that's without Richie Incognito. I'm skeptical about bringing him back into the lineup, is that going to ruin chemistery? I don't know. But they're opening holes for Jackson and starting to protect Bulger really well.

- Mike Karney, the guys having a Pro Bowl season. Unfortunately he isn't the type of Fullback to get Touchdowns, receptions and yards. He's the type to knock you right in the mouth. He's blocking great for Jackson. The seal he had on Steven Jacksons touchdown was brilliant!

- Chris Long, the kids coming a long. A lot of second year NFL Players hit a slump, for whatever reason, I don't know why, but they do. He had another sack today on a great play where he got lower than the lineman, bullrushed and took down Brees. That's two games in a row with sacks. He did good in run support too. I know many will jump to conclusions, but many of the Saints long gains came on the right side of the Offensive Line, not Longs side. They Rams Run Defense was fairly stout on Long's side. He's going to be fine, he's having a good year.

- Brandon Gibson/Donnie Avery. Two young wide receivers, Gibson a rookie and Avery a second year guy battling injury. Gibson had 90 yards receiving today at his NFL Debut, making some damn nice grabs and making guys miss, and running superb routes. If he keeps that up... He's going to be "potentially" dangerous. Avery hauled in two touchdown passes by two beautifully ( yes, beautifully ) thrown passes by Marc Bulger. He's coming a long, I believe he'll finish the season strong.

- OJ Atogwe and James Butler, finally these guys make some plays. Two interceptions between them both and some nice plays and Touchdown saving plays. Great job boys!

- Marc Bulger, he did a damn nice job today. Made some nice plays, even scrambled for a...
                              -11-15-2009, 09:47 PM
                            • bruce4life
                              Can we actually get stability throughout the whole season?
                              by bruce4life
                              One cannot love this 2 game winning streak our beloved RAMS are currently holding. Everything is clicking for Jimmy Haslett. The o-line has responded beautifully givng Marc Bulger just enough time to get some good throws downfield which in turn opens the running game for the MAN BEAST Steven ACTION Jackson....

The defense is actually producing turnovers. Leonard Little is collecting sacks like he is 28 not 34. Chris Long is producing and learning on the fly. The corners and not giving up big plays.

The special teams looks like one of the top-tier groups in the league. Josh Brown is worth every penny we gave him. Donny Jones has been the best punter in the league...

MY QUESTION IS CAN WE KEEP THIS UP? gGUY PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR REASONS FOR THE RAMS SUSTAINING THIS MOMENTUM
                              -10-19-2008, 11:30 PM
                            • rammiser
                              Monday morning hangover...long
                              by rammiser
                              Going from the high of a new to season to the absolute let down by my Rams has left me feeling woozy. I had hope and dreams of an improved football team that would play hard for four quarters. I saw some flashes as I did last year. Then again we only decided to play 2 quarters again.

The walking penalty box that is Incognito has got to go. He isnt all that great in the first place and constantly costs us 15 yds when he feels the need to punch guys in the chest or hit guys late. He's a mess and embarassing if you ask me. He was cheap shotting guys the whole game but was only caught twice. It's hard not to like him for his fire,i do like him. Unfortunately he isnt talented enough and neither is this team to keep putting up with his stupid mistakes.

We shelled out tons of cash for Bartell, yet Wade looked like the best corner on the field yesterday. Bartell was getting beaten on everything thrown his way. I thought for sure hed get a pi call against him on a fade route but he managed to flail his arms up just at the right time to hit the ball. If Bulger takes all the flak for being paid huge jack and not performing than Bartell should be getting killed today.

Atogwe is just flat out awesome. He is a bigtime playmaker and needs to be locked down with a huge contract. Nice job by the front office to wait so long to pay the guy that he may be a top 2 safety by the time they decide to pay him instead of a relatively good but unknown player around the NFL. Butler was a great aquisition and has raised the level of play of Atogwe. Now OJ isnt by himself back there anymore.

Finally we have a middle linebacker. Laurinitis is going to be really good. Heck he was really good yesterday. He made some mistakes but hes a rookie and was always around the ball. He absolutely did not look like a rookie. Witherspoon on the other hand seems to vanish into thin air during games anymore. I remember when we used to hear his name mentioned four or five times for big plays in games. Now I only hear his name for missing tackles and gettig hurt. Vabora had a decent game, seeing how he was a 7th round pick and is playing some half way decent football is a tribute to him as a hard worker. It is fair to say however that we may need two olb's after this year.

Our d-line is dreadful. The Seachickens had two starters out on the o-line and i'm not sure we knocked Hasselcrack over once. When we blitz it get picked up easily. Not too mention that he would take a three step drop and have 3 wide open wr's to throw to. We got no pressure and were getting gashed for four or five yds almost everytime a guy would run the ball. They did do a nice job on the goal line untill play action and of course wide open in the back of the endzone was Jay Novacek err i mean Carlson. Chris Long hustles but most of his plays are made five yds down field, I want to see him making some behind the line of...
                              -09-14-2009, 07:18 AM
                            • Mooselini
                              Player of the game
                              by Mooselini
                              I think it has to go to Laurent Robinson.

Way to make big plays when you need to, and nice snag in the end zone. He's going to become a key player for this team. That's for sure!

Honorable mention goes to the Rams defense. Though we let up a few stupid plays, we stopped them when it matters!

Sucks that we lost, but the effort was definitely there this week.
                              -09-20-2009, 12:54 PM
                            Working...
                            X