The Guru Speaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Guru Speaks

Greetings, my children. I haven't really been away, I just kept quiet until this game.

I wish to speak of our team. Yes, those wonderful men in the horns we tune in to watch each and every week. Right now, I feel safe from the slaughterhouse since I have been looking more like a jackass than a cow for picking the Rams to win, but I'll be a Homer.

It almost paid off today. One less dropped ball, one less penalty, and we should have had that game in our grasp. I thought it funny that the media proclaimed our offensive line hamburger at the hands of Haynesworth, but from what saw, our guys did just fine.

Two things surprised me this game - I don't recall the ref saying anything about Barron having a false start, or Richie having any temper tantrums. I am truly moo-ved by this development.

I do wish we could have won. However, I did see some improvement from last week...make that a LOT of improvement. Now, with the Rams coming home next week to play the Packers, one can only ope the Packers stink it up like some old Limburger.

Oh, and if you're going to the game, try the chicken sandwiches. I hear they are a lot better than the burgers.

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam_old
    Its "300" Week for the Rams
    by AvengerRam_old
    The Rams can't win this week.

Those of you who know me, or have read my posts over the years, know exactly how difficult it was for me to even type those words.

But let's be real here. The Rams are a mess. The O line is out of sync. The receiving corps can't catch a cold. The DBs can't catch a break.

Against that backdrop, the Rams have to travel to Green Bay to play the defending champs, who are playing like they are ready for a repeat. The Packers strengths - passing game, pass rush - are perfectly designed to take advantage of the Rams' weaknesses.

All signs lead to a bloodbath.

And so, I choose to borrow from popular culture and suggest that the Rams' model this week should be the Spartans of 300. They too faced certain doom against a vastly superior opponent. But into battle they nonetheless rushed, determined to show their opponents that they would not lie down and die. In the end, they lost - but their inspiration lead to victory on a later date.

The Ram need to show the Packers, and the rest of the NFL, that they still have some fight in them, and that they can still inflict damage. Steven Jackson needs to pound the Packers' front 7. The O line needs to find a way to give Bradford the time to throw against a somewhat suspect Packers' defensive backfield. The defense needs to pressure and hit Aaron Rodgers.

In the end, the Rams will lose. Probably by a significant margin.

But that does not mean that this won't be the week that the Rams turn things around.

Is this madness?
    -10-10-2011, 06:18 AM
  • Bruce=GOAT
    @ packers - Very good announcers
    by Bruce=GOAT
    I am usually very critical of the commentaters for Rams games, but I must say, Kenny Albert and Brian Baldinger are providing excellent commentary for this game. Albert is very serious as a play by play man (which is great) and "Baldy" provides great "color" as a change of pace announcer. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed this? We tend to complain when things are not well, but hardly ever compliment outstanding efforts by announcers. This certainly beats Cris Collinsworth to death , doesn't it?
    -10-08-2006, 12:56 PM
  • Varg6
    Improvements?
    by Varg6
    I didn't get to see the game, but I frequently checked my phone to see how the game was going. We were in the redzone at least 2 times if I'm not mistaken, all of them resulted in fumbles or whatever, and a field goal at one point.

It looks like the offense was efficient today but couldn't get the job done in the redzone where, one could argue, matters the most.

Looks like we held their high octane offense a lot, but also gave up huge chunks of yards.

We sacked Favre, and JL had that interception.

I know there's a ton of negatives, but there were certainly some improvements and we gotta be happy about that.

P.S. I still think those older uniforms look better than our new ones, but that's just me.
    -10-11-2009, 01:24 PM
  • RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan--Friday, October 06, 2006
    by RamWraith
    (Opening statement)

“Our standard Friday. Just an update injury-wise. Just based on the last couple of weeks and what happened, still list Orlando as questionable. Looks better. He’s felt good all week so that looks better. Actually we’ll probably downgrade Fahkir Brown for this game. His ankle has gotten steadily worse through the week. It will be a gameday decision. We certainly have a plan for that and good depth for our secondary for that. Those are really the only significant things from the injury standpoint.”

(On who will start in Brown’s spot if he does not play)

“We’ll have to talk about that…exactly who will do it. I think it makes sense to certainly…the options that we’ve had before where we’ve played him. Right now we’re going to have to talk about what we do as far as starting. I don’t know. I just actually found out that Fahkir, through this practice, wasn’t going to be able to go. We’ll have to decide based on personnel.”

(On Brown’s condition this week)

“It bothered him, and then after this last game…you’ve got a little swelling in there and it swelled, and through Wednesday’s practice, it pretty much just didn’t feel any better. It actually got a little worse Wednesday. Didn’t do much Thursday’s practice, yesterday. He’s not the type of guy that would ever complain about something being sore, but if it was bothering him…he just wasn’t able to go very much yesterday. We just pretty much kept him out of most of the stuff today.”

(On moving up CB Jerametrius Butler)

“Certainly Butler gets in the mix if wasn’t able to go. As far as who starts, in a lot of the nickel situations, guys played a lot. We’ll kind of bang it around as to who’s going to actually start the game, but we’ve got some other things that we’ve got to do as far as when we have to go nickel and things like that. There’s like a couple options that way. We hadn’t really planned on this until now, so we’ve got to talk about it as a staff.”

(On if T Orlando Pace will play on Sunday)

“I think we’ll know for sure by the gameday. I think you just have to evaluate how he feels tomorrow, and then how he feels gameday. I don’t think you ever just make any assumption. You make sure he feels as good as he’s felt all week. I don’t see there being any problem. I didn’t think he would have a problem the last time either, so we’ll just play that one by ear.”

(On if a test will determine if Pace’s status)

“I think we’re through the testing as far as how he’s doing there. I think it has more to do with how he feels and what the doctors say as we evaluate him every day.”

(On how much Pace practiced today)

“He practiced the whole practice. He didn’t miss one snap.”

(On how...
    -10-06-2006, 02:29 PM
  • RamWraith
    Bulger and Jackons quotes November 14
    by RamWraith
    QB Marc Bulger

November 14, 2007

(On the improved performance of the offense in the last two games)

“I’d say a big part of that is Steven (Jackson). You can’t ignore the fact that when he’s in there good things happen. He just brings that energy we need in the huddle and if we can keep him healthy I think we’ll continue to get better and score more points.”

(On being more in sync with his receivers against New Orleans than any other game this year)

“I think just having that extra second to let them get open. Those guys know when I’m getting hit early that they have to break their routes off short and our timing gets off, but when they know I’m getting time and the line’s going, they can get that extra move and know that I can hold it and they can get that separation. There’s definitely more separation this week than in the past and I think that’s because of the line giving me more time.”

(On WR Drew Bennett)

“His health is good – that helps. We worked on that play in the end zone. We didn’t hook up earlier in the year. I threw an interception because I don’t think we were on the same page. We made a conscious effort to work on that. We got the matchup we wanted and it was just nice that we practiced it while the defense was going last week and it paid off. He did a good job on some deep routes, too, so if we can keep getting him going it’ll take some pressure off of Ike (Isaac Bruce) and Torry (Holt), too.”

(On the ***** pass rush)

“It’s a 3-4, which is a little different. They do like to blitz the inside guys a lot. I just don’t think we played well up front last time. I think would tell you that. We did get some big plays and threw for a lot of yards, but it was at the expense of getting me killed. We just have to do a better job up front of establishing a running game, which will help. I think our defense is playing better. If they can give us some good field position, that will help. If we play from behind, that hurts, too.”

(On being named NFC Offensive Player of the Week)

“When you’re a quarterback and you get it, it’s a whole offensive award. When receivers get it or a running backs gets it, it’s an individual thing. It’s not a big deal, it just shows that our line played well, our receivers played well, Steven played well. It’s a good thing for our offense.”

(On how you become a better team at this point in the season)

“Keep winning games. You hear college coaches and NFL coaches say how good of a team you are, but in this business it’s about winning and the bottom line. If you’re 1-8, you’re not a good team. If we can win a couple more games and get a more respectable record then I can say we’re a better team, but we’re still 1-8 and that’s a bad football...
    -11-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Working...
X