Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robinson WAS NOT open on that last play ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robinson WAS NOT open on that last play ...

It may have looked that way on the replay, but you have to understand what happened on that play. I just watched it twice more to understand ...

Avery is lined up far right. His DB is playing zone, he drops and then stops as Avery runs past him ....

Robinson is lined up left, running a deep skinny post ...

Horton is playing center field, deep, and is lined up between Robinson and Avery. He is the centerfielder. Only hope on this play is to somehow get him to bite and throw the opposite way ...

Bulger stepped up in the pocket, he was looking centerfield, likely in hopes of getting Horton to commit or bite to the center ...

Horton didn't commit either way, and Bulger was out of time and unloaded to Avery. Horton rolled over and forced the incompletion, despite committing some illegal contact ...

If this is an option route, and Avery stops and comes back, there is probably enough cushion for a completion. Likely this was a called 9 route ...

Had Bulger thrown the ball to Robinson, Horton would have rolled his way and likely broken up the play. Robinson did have a step on both defenders, but it was likely designed that way to bait the QB. Same with the defensive back bailing on Avery and letting him run free. Bad throw by QB results in INT ...

So while it looked nice on replay, there was nothing there in actuality. Do you realize how difficult it is to complete a big pass play like that against that type of deep coverage defense?

The WR would have had to make a play for anything to come of this. Last year Avery did, this year he didn't ...

Re: Robinson WAS NOT open on that last play ...

heart breaking losss Avery needs to regain his confidence and not let these fumbles become frequent . . . he will be fine concentration is key and knowing how to go down on certain plays is even more inportant
    Torry Holt Dont play that

Comment

It's just something we want to point out. we want to figure out what was wrong. i didnt think anyone was open for that last play. =/ it was just a tough spot to be in that late in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
        It may have looked that way on the replay, but you have to understand what happened on that play. I just watched it twice more to understand ...

Avery is lined up far right. His DB is playing zone, he drops and then stops as Avery runs past him ....

Robinson is lined up left, running a deep skinny post ...

Horton is playing center field, deep, and is lined up between Robinson and Avery. He is the centerfielder. Only hope on this play is to somehow get him to bite and throw the opposite way ...

Bulger stepped up in the pocket, he was looking centerfield, likely in hopes of getting Horton to commit or bite to the center ...

Horton didn't commit either way, and Bulger was out of time and unloaded to Avery. Horton rolled over and forced the incompletion, despite committing some illegal contact ...

If this is an option route, and Avery stops and comes back, there is probably enough cushion for a completion. Likely this was a called 9 route ...

Had Bulger thrown the ball to Robinson, Horton would have rolled his way and likely broken up the play. Robinson did have a step on both defenders, but it was likely designed that way to bait the QB. Same with the defensive back bailing on Avery and letting him run free. Bad throw by QB results in INT ...

So while it looked nice on replay, there was nothing there in actuality. Do you realize how difficult it is to complete a big pass play like that against that type of deep coverage defense?

The WR would have had to make a play for anything to come of this. Last year Avery did, this year he didn't ...
        Don't burst the Bulger haters bubble. These armchair qb's see everything on the field even though they are sitting at home with pork rinds in one hand and keystone light in the other. Don't take the wind out of their sails, without being able to blame Bulger what would they do with their lives. ;)
        Aim high Willis, Aim High!

Comment

Jackson was wide open with plenty of running room had he dumped it off to him. Just figured I'd throw that out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Warner4prez View Post
            Jackson was wide open with plenty of running room had he dumped it off to him. Just figured I'd throw that out there.
            50 yards of running room?

Comment

It would have given them a first down with time left.

Comment

I am guessing that after being heavily pressured on the first three downs, that Bulger knew he had to get the ball out of the end zone, and quickly.

Bulger did the best he could of trying to get Horton to bite centerfield and give Avery a shot. He fired when he thought he had to, and Avery didn't make a great effort on the play. Horton also bumped Avery could have been called for interference ...

Jackson leaked out at the last second, as Bulger was stepping into his throwing motion. There was a Washington defender standing at the 15 yard line. No guarantee a first down comes of it.
                Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -09-21-2009, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Warner4prez View Post
                  I thought I was the only one that noticed that. I think he would have picked up the first no doubt.

Comment

Avery is just returning from injury and had a bad day all around. If you had the choice to throw a jump ball in that situation, who are you choosing? Robinson is the better playmaker right now and should have had the chance to make a play. I'm always curious as to whether it was a play call or a Bulger decision.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsInfiniti
                      With all due respect to Donnie Avery ...
                      by RamsInfiniti
                      I honestly believe that Laurent Robinson is going to end up the #1 WR on this team. You don't even have to look at the numbers to see it. This kid his nice size, good speed, runs routes well, and uses his HANDS to catch the ball. Every pass he caught against the Falcons was made solely with his hands ...

We've heard nothing but rave reviews about this guy in camp, and now it is transpiring onto the field. Watch him on Thursday, and you'll see how quick he is off the line, and how fluidly he moves into his breaks ...

The athletic ability that was shown by snatching that one errant sideline pass was incredible. He didn't quite get the feet down, but truly indicative of the athletic ability he has. Seems like a legitimate YAC guy also ...

Really reminds me of a young Torry Holt, similar kind of receiver in my opinion. I think the front office got a steal here, and now I understand why the Falcon's fans were so upset at letting him go so easily ...

At this point, Robinson just seems to be a more polised wideout than Avery. Should make for a nice tandem when he returns, but he has some catching up to do in my opinion if he wants to be the #1 ...
                      -08-24-2009, 07:28 AM
                    • bruce4life
                      People are underestimating Laurant Robinson...
                      by bruce4life
                      I expect good numbers from him.. He had one of the best preseasons in the league....
                      -09-10-2009, 09:23 AM
                    • RockinRam
                      Glad To Hear This
                      by RockinRam
                      Avery and Robinson are healthy, which is good news for Rams

By Jim Rodenbush

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Donnie Avery is healthy. Laurent Robinson is healthy. And while the 2010 season opener is more than three months away, this could be potentially great news for the St. Louis Rams offense.

Both wide receivers are at 100 percent entering the second week of organized team activities at Rams Park. For Avery, that meant bouncing back from a series of nagging injuries that plagued him throughout 2009. For Robinson, it meant a full recovery from a fractured leg and ankle sprain that ended his 2009 season after only three games.
                      Together, the pair represent arguably the team’s best down-field receiving threats. In fact, they recorded the Rams’ two longest catches in ’09: Avery with a 50-yard reception against Indianapolis, and Robinson with a 45-yard grab in the season opener at Seattle.
                      “We can both take it deep,” Avery said following practice Monday. “So, that’ll be a plus.”
                      Though Avery played all 16 games last season, he was bothered by a laundry list of injuries. His most serious injury came in the preseason, when he suffered a stress fracture in his left foot. He returned in time for the season opener, but then experienced problems with his ribs, hamstring, hip and shoulder.

This offseason, Avery started a weight lifting program and changed his diet. As a result, he has added around 15 pounds of muscle and gotten rid of the nagging pain.
                      “It’s about playing healthy,” he said. “Staying on the field, staying in the weight room, working with the trainer. Just staying healthy. Healthy is happy for me.
                      “I feel a lot better now. I absolutely feel the difference.”
                      Avery had 47 receptions for 589 yards and five touchdowns in 2009. Avery, who will be 26 next month, is entering his third NFL season and second under coach Steve Spagnuolo and offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur. He described himself as “more comfortable” because of his familiarity with the team’s offense.
                      “It’s a different approach mentally,” he said. “You know what you’re going to get game day. You know what opens up, and how to get open during the season. You know what kind of coverages teams play against this type of offense.”
                      Avery hopes to double his touchdown total in 2010 and said he looks forward to being a deep threat once again.
                      “My first year, we exploited (that),” he said. “This year, I feel like we’re going to get back to it.”

As for Robinson, he was among the Rams’ best receivers during the early part of last season. He recorded 13 catches for 167 yards and a touchdown before...
                      -05-25-2010, 05:06 AM
                    • 39thebeast
                      How much do we miss Robinson?
                      by 39thebeast
                      Stats via Mike Sandos Blog. Even though Robinson was hurt week 3 he still has the same amount of third down targets as Avery and Burton with 7. Steven Jackson leads the team in third down targets with 9. Throwing to Robinson on third down Bulgers rating is 110.7 Burton and Avery with the exact same amount of targets are hovering around 67. Among guys with a minimum of 10 targets Bulgers passer rating when throwing to Robinson is 91.2, he only has a higher rating throwing to Burton at 100.9.

You can interpret this allot of ways. Bulger needs a true number 1 to be good, Robinson is really good, our other receivers suck, and so on.

To me there is a combination in the lack of faith in Bulger and to a much larger extent the WRs. We only threw the deep post or deep out to Robinson and now we don't do that nearly as much.
                      -11-13-2009, 08:59 PM
                    • 39thebeast
                      You gotta respect the deep ball
                      by 39thebeast
                      I know people have alot of concerns about our offense particularly our passing game and how that will lead to opponents putting 8 guys in the box. I could see that early on in the year especially with the loss of Donnie Avery, but once he comes back I think things will change a little. Here is why regardless of there inexperience the Rams 2 starting receivers Robinson and Avery have deep speed and can make plays down field. The one thing defenses don't want to do is give up a big play. If the Rams throw in more of the 3 step drop and bomb it down field like we saw Bulger do against the Jets to Robinson, thats when we can see our most sucessfull run game especially when Avery returns. Also with the 3 step drop our horrific blitz pick up is less likely to be exposed. Lets just hope Avery can come back 100% with no setbacks and we should be fine, if not we will be in alot of trouble.
                      -08-14-2009, 07:45 PM
                    Working...
                    X