Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith's Injury not so bad?

From ESPN...

Yesterday, the belief was that the St. Louis Rams could be without their top draft pick for up to a month, as Jason Smith had to leave the game on Sunday with what appeared to be torn cartilage in his knee, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

"They're calling it a meniscus [cartilage] right now," coach Steve Spagnuolo told the paper after the game. "I'm not sure the extent of it."

Both Smith and center Jason Brown had MRIs performed on Monday, and both are now listed as having knee sprains, which is much better than the torn meniscus situation.

Even so, league sources have told the Post-Dispatch that Smith is likely to miss a game or two, which means Adam Goldberg is the likely starter this weekend for the Rams.
    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Re: Smith's Injury not so bad?

Only thing this really hurts is the cohesion factor. Goldberg and Smith are about equals at this point in time, so it doesn't really hurt us from a skills perspective, it'll just mean we have another couple games where everyone's getting used to one another again.
    I believe!:ram:

Comment

Re: Smith's Injury not so bad?

It could be much worse. We can be thankful for that at this point.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• shroomysoup
        Will Jason Smith be okay?
        by shroomysoup
        I heard on the radio awhile ago that Jason Smith suffered a SERIOUS concussion injury and that it may affect his ability to play football for the rest of his career. Does anyone have any updates on him? How is he doing?
        -12-14-2009, 11:50 AM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Smith OK After Hospital Visit
        by r8rh8rmike
        Smith OK After Hospital Visit
        Monday, November 30, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
        Senior Writer

Of all the injuries and ailments plaguing the Rams on Sunday against Seattle, it was one case of nausea on the sideline that perhaps caused the most concern.

Rams tackle Jason Smith, inactive for the contest against the Seahawks because of lingering effects from a concussion suffered a week earlier against Arizona, was on the sideline watching the Rams and Seahawks on Sunday afternoon when he suddenly began to feel ill.

Smith complained of a nauseous feeling that led to vomiting and light headedness. He was promptly whisked away to Barnes Hospital in St. Louis for tests and observation just before the start of the fourth quarter.

“I was experiencing some things that weren’t real normal,” Smith said Monday afternoon. “I asked the doctors what’s going on with me. He said to take the proper precautions to what you feel and get you out of here to get you checked out. That’s what we did. I was sick and vomiting and wasn’t feeling good.”

Because Smith is still recovering from the concussion he suffered last week, the doctors wanted to take a closer look and run a battery of tests that would determine if or how the nausea related to his concussion symptoms.

The good news, revealed by coach Steve Spagnuolo and athletic trainer Jim Anderson on Monday afternoon, is that Smith passed all of those tests with nothing out of the ordinary showing up on them.

Smith said Monday there was no hard evidence from his CAT scan that the symptoms he suffered from on Sunday were a direct result of his concussion. In fact, Smith says he was never told that the two were related though that remained a possibility.

“They tested me on a couple of different things,” Smith said. “They never said it was because of the concussion. It was like something was wrong with your stomach or whatever.”

At the conclusion of those tests, Smith was released from the hospital and allowed to return home Sunday evening.

“It sounds like he’s OK which is a good thing,” Spagnuolo said.

Before Sunday, Smith said he had awoken feeling different every day but had not yet felt illness like he did on Sunday.
        As with most concussions, there are variety of symptoms that go along with the injury. In some cases, those symptoms can be triggered by various factors.

For instance, basketball star Blake Griffin suffered a concussion while playing for Oklahoma last year and complained that it was made worse by attending a home game he wasn’t playing in by the myriad lights and loud noises in the arena that night.

“There are all kinds of symptoms that happen with a concussion,” Smith said. “They say noise and they say lights but obviously you having one, you feel all those things. It...
        -12-01-2009, 11:52 PM
      • TekeRam
        Smith Doubtful Against Pack
        by TekeRam
        ST. LOUIS (AP) -- St. Louis Rams offensive tackle Jason Smith, the second overall pick in this year's draft, sprained his left knee and will be listed as doubtful for Sunday's home game against Green Bay.
        An MRI exam revealed the extent of the injury, which coach Steve Spagnuolo said Monday would not require surgery. The Rams lost 9-7 at Washington on Sunday.

Adam Goldberg finished the game at Smith's position and would likely replace him as the starter. Smith said he was hurt during the Rams' touchdown drive in the second quarter, although he stayed in for several more plays before leaving the game.

"I don't remember whether it popped or not," Smith said. "In the heat of the battle, you don't really feel it, but I knew something wasn't right."

Goldberg started six games at four offensive line positions last year and started at right tackle much of the preseason before Smith was elevated to first string. He has experience against the Packers after playing with the Vikings for three years.

"The goal is just to play well when called upon," Goldberg said. "It's nothing I'm not used to."

Center Jason Brown has a right knee sprain but Spagnuolo said Brown was day to day. Offensive lineman John Greco (wrist) was set to return this week after missing the first two games.

-09-22-2009, 08:21 AM
      • MauiRam
        Jason Smith’s toe injury appears to be minor ..
        by MauiRam
        06.08.2010 11:04 am
        By Bill Coats
        St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The St. Louis Rams practiced for just 35 minutes Tuesday morning as organized team activities continued. Near the end of the brief workout, the Rams got a scare when left tackle Jason Smith hobbled to the sideline, limping heavily.

According to coach Steve Spagnuolo, it looked worse than it probably was. Spagnuolo said that Smith tweaked a toe and that the injury appeared to be minor. When he walked off the field after practice, Smith, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2009 draft, was limping only slightly.

Also on the injury front, guard John Greco returned to the field. Greco had been sidelined with a chest-muscle injury. Cornerback Kevin Dockery sat out after twisting an ankle Monday.

After practice, the players were bused to Monroe Elementary School in Soulard, where they were to help construct a playground as part of the team’s community outreach efforts.
        -06-08-2010, 09:30 AM
      • general counsel
        Anyone see anything on the jason smith injury
        by general counsel
        I havent seen any postgame. How bad is smith hurt? As i mentioned in my good, bad and ugly, he didnt play in the second half and the announcer said knee injury, but thats all we got.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
        -09-20-2009, 04:43 PM
      Working...
      X