What pass defense are we running?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pass defense are we running?

Has anybody been able to determine just what pass defense we are running? It seems like we are running a hybrid of different schemes or situational schemes.

Re: What pass defense are we running?

I couldn't tell you, but I know its a defense that is allowing the TE to have a career day every week.

Comment

Game 1: the "Soft and Squeeshie" defense.

Game #2: the "Bend but don't break" defense.

Game #3: The "Not in our House" defense. (I hope)
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by rNemesis View Post
        I couldn't tell you, but I know its a defense that is allowing the TE to have a career day every week.
        I feel your pain but both those TEs are studs who put up good numbers virtually every week.They both put up similar numbers against NYG and the Whiners in their other games so far.

Incidentally, neither was a career best. Cooley had over 100yds vs NYG last year. He's been to the PB two years in a row. Carlson broke all kinds of rookie records on a dismal Hags team last year & had his career best vs Philly;again, over 100 yds.

My impression is that without QB pressure, this defense will struggle with this type of quicker TE who run good routes and find those transfer points where the LBs and safeties trade them off as assignments.Not surprising then, with a rookie , Mr Irrelevant and a seriously underperforming Spoon on the LB unit that there are sizable cracks between those layers of the D.

That needs to tighten up but it'll never be close to TE-proof until we get in the QB's face.Nobody can cover those guys when the QB has 6-8 secs to find them,imo.

There have been so many of these big plays where a Ram wasn't within 3-4 yds of the pass-catcher,either TE or WR.It's only because of the savvy play of Butler and Atogwe that these weaknesses haven't been exploited more than they have,imo. That, and some pretty sound tackling.

I think GB plays a much more vertical game & their TE, Donald Lee, is a more traditional type; v. effective blocker and good as a target in the RZ but not a deep route runner. Hopefully that will help this Sunday.

So will their rather spotty QB protection. Their starting LT, Clifton, will be out and a major shuffle seems likely for the whole left side from center out. I'm sure Spags/Flajole will want to exploit that with their bewildering array of DL line-ups and tricks.

I'm much more concerned with how our own O-line will deal with their first 3/4 opponent. A lot rides, as always, on SJ and the other RBs for both protection and production. No idea how that'll pan out because The Pack kept Forte quiet but let Benson run wild.Go figure.

Those who have been bemoaning Bulger's cautious ways may have to eat their words because that is exactly what he needs to be vs Woodson, Harris,et al.They may lack speed but make up for it by reading plays very well and making QBs pay for any mistakes/risky throws. It was Woodson who kept them in the Cincy game with a couple of picks,one for a TD and the other so close that GB soon capitalized.
        Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-24-2009, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• live4ramin
          Could it be? Defense...
          by live4ramin
          My love of football is on the offensive side of the ball, particularly the offensive line. The blocking and the pride these guys have when they jel into one unit, usually without much in the way of credit.

But silently this team's defense just keeps getting a little better. If these guys can stay healthy and build a little pride in keeping the offense off the field Spags may turn this group of nobodies into something to get excited about.

I've never had a great defense to watch on Sundays. It was always time to grab a snack and a cold beverage. It could be a life changer for some of us.
          -08-29-2010, 07:42 AM
        • macrammer
          Rams 3 losses...........
          by macrammer
          In our three losses this year......Rams averaged 300 yds passing and 70 yards rushing. Since we dropped the consecutive games, Rams have averaged roughly 200 yds passing (well below season average) per game and over 225 yds rushing per game. (above season average)

I think McVay switched it up after defenses dared us to pass. The Bears and Eagles were formidable in pass defense taking out our mid range routes. Since McVay has switched it up My question is, now that (perhaps) opposing defense will be looking to stop our run game what does he have up his sleeve this week? Has to give our opposition something to think about at very least........???
          -01-13-2019, 03:18 PM
        • kman1521
          This defense needs to start stepping up
          by kman1521
          Is anyone else frustrated with this defense? They cant seem to stop anything. The Seahags just drove up and down the field at will. Peters got torched. They kept running the same draw play over and over and we couldn't stop it..The run defense is so disappointing. I know they are 5-0 but they cant keep winning this track meets, sooner or later it will bite them ni the a$$. Barron's tackling was horrendous. He will be a goner next year for sure. And please Zeurlein come back soon, these kickers are awful..
          -10-08-2018, 07:38 AM
        • LARAM
          I'm not buying it yet
          by LARAM
          I didn't see the game last week against !@#*, But from what I heard the defense played good.

We'll I'm not buying it. They played against an average @#* team.......Look how bad the @!*# played against AZ the week before. How much offense was tallied up in week 1. Im not impressed with @&*!, which makes me all that more critical of the Rams performance

I'm gonna have to see at least a 6-8 game stretch, before I can give the Rams an above average grade for the Defense.
          -09-20-2007, 07:30 AM
        • Bruce=GOAT
          Bruce=GOATs forecast for rest of season (Long)
          by Bruce=GOAT
          It is the mid-way point of the season and the Rams limp in with a breakeven 4-4 record which is the same as last year at this point. Hopefully we will manage more than 2 wins the rest of the way this year (vs. last seasons second half mark). The Rams offense has been rolling right along averaging almost 23 pts per game after a slow start. The defense however has regressed greatly in recent weeks yielding almost 25 pts per game and getting destroyed by the run and torched on 3rd down. Pisa should help anchor our run D the rest of the way with his great tackling and ball hawking skills. Our offense can and will score with anyone as long as we limit our turnovers. Here is how I see things the rest of the way:

The second half of the 2006 season begins with a tough road game against the defending NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks. We must capatilize on the Seahawks being shorthanded this week although we have not done so thus far. They are without Alexander, Tubbs, Locklear and Hasselbeck this week. Pisa Tinoisamoa while still listed as questionable has experienced much less swelling in his hand and will hopefully play possibly coming off the bench. He will be a big key for our run defense in what could be a big day on the ground for both teams. It is expected to continue to rain in Seattle all the way through Sundays game. I expect another big day for Steven Jackson on a nasty field piling up rushing yards this week. If the Seahawks play deep zone defense like the Chiefs did, expect a lot of underneath passing again.We win this one in a squeaker and are tied dead even for the division lead with a 5-4 record.

@Carolina--Win-- 6-4 record. Carolina is a very tough team at times with a 4-4 record currently and 2-2 home mark. They have trouble scoring at times however and have been giving up loads of points. Losing Morgan at MLB has hurt and they are generally ravaged by injuries at this point. Rams win in another close one as Panthers can't stop Bulger and Co.

San Francisco--Win 7-4 record. The Rams have had a terrible time against the ***** the past two seasons. The 3-4 D has held the Rams in check, but the law of averages says that the Rams finally put it all together and pull out the home win.

Arizona--Win 8-4 record. Another home win against an Arizona team that is dangerous on paper, but has seemingly imploded once again. Edge seems unhappy (again) and Dennis Green is a sitting duck after his blowup after the meltdown vs. the Bears on MNF. Leinhart, Fitz and Boldin will be a dangerous trio for years to come, but the Cardinals have too many holes to do well at this point. Rams should win this game fairly easily.

Chicago (MNF)--Loss 8-5 record. The Bears were due a letdown and it happened last week at home vs. Miami. That being said, Chicago is a very good team especially on Defense. Their defense should be able to force plenty of fumbles vs. the Rams and...
          -11-08-2006, 02:46 PM
        Working...
        X