Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rams must attack deep seams to loosen up Packers D ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams must attack deep seams to loosen up Packers D ...

Once a solid aspect of the Packer's squad, they suddently find themselves thin and weak at the safety position.

Hard-hitting Atari Bigby is out for Sunday's game. Ballhawk Nick Collins is questionable with a chest injury. They uexpectedly cut Bigby's replacement, Aaron Rouse, on Wednesday. If these players are out, it leaves only Charlie Peprah, and Matt Giordano, who was brought off the street to replace Rouse, as the only true safeties available on the roster. 4th year CB Derrick Martin, would also figure into this mix.

None of the three available safeties are very physical, or very big. Expect the Rams to try to get Robinson deep in the seams to attack the deepest levels of the weakened Packer secondary. If we can force these safeties back, Jackson could potentially see some huge gaps later in the game ...

It will be interesting to see how this coaching staff attacks an exposed weakness like the Packers have in this instance. The previous regime would fail miserably. I have faith that this group will succeed ...

This Ram's team has played hard on the road. They'll be pumped up to show the home crowd what they are all about. This is a winnable game, as long as we attack. We must win the turnover battle to stand any chance ...

Hopefully, we play very aggressive on D. Both our corners run sub 4.4 40's. Expect a heavy blitz from the Rams, as they rely on the speed of our corners and intelligence of our safeties to prevent the big play downfield ...

Re: Rams must attack deep seams to loosen up Packers D ...

Agreed all the condition is right for us to do it and we must if we are to have a chance. GB will dare the rams to throw we must have some success.
    :ramlogo:

Comment

It doesn't help them that they cut Anthony Smith, who is now a Ram. He would have started for them against us with their injuries if he was still there
      @EssexRam_

Comment

Infiniti,
        Love the game plan & I hope it actually plays out that way, cuz if it does we will have a great chance at a win. Turnovers will be the key & we must pressure Rodgers all game.

Comment

I like your attack mindset but in order to accomplish that we must protect Marc and give the receivers time to get deep down the field.
          Therein lies the rub: Can we get the OL to pass block better and who is going to step up and slow down the Packer blitz?

WHAT SAY YE?

Comment

I hope Martin is playing this game, it'll be interesting..

Comment

I'm anxious about how Goldberg will do in place of Smith... he better step it up. Bulger needs to have time to throw this game.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• rob6465
                Can we beat Packers?
                by rob6465
                I think we will come out in full force on Rodgers but he will still put up 3-4 TD's/300-400 yards. I don't think they will contain #39 and hope that we can play with effort.
                -10-07-2011, 01:36 PM
              • AvengerRam_old
                Its "300" Week for the Rams
                by AvengerRam_old
                The Rams can't win this week.

Those of you who know me, or have read my posts over the years, know exactly how difficult it was for me to even type those words.

But let's be real here. The Rams are a mess. The O line is out of sync. The receiving corps can't catch a cold. The DBs can't catch a break.

Against that backdrop, the Rams have to travel to Green Bay to play the defending champs, who are playing like they are ready for a repeat. The Packers strengths - passing game, pass rush - are perfectly designed to take advantage of the Rams' weaknesses.

All signs lead to a bloodbath.

And so, I choose to borrow from popular culture and suggest that the Rams' model this week should be the Spartans of 300. They too faced certain doom against a vastly superior opponent. But into battle they nonetheless rushed, determined to show their opponents that they would not lie down and die. In the end, they lost - but their inspiration lead to victory on a later date.

The Ram need to show the Packers, and the rest of the NFL, that they still have some fight in them, and that they can still inflict damage. Steven Jackson needs to pound the Packers' front 7. The O line needs to find a way to give Bradford the time to throw against a somewhat suspect Packers' defensive backfield. The defense needs to pressure and hit Aaron Rodgers.

In the end, the Rams will lose. Probably by a significant margin.

But that does not mean that this won't be the week that the Rams turn things around.

Is this madness?
                -10-10-2011, 06:18 AM
              • DJRamFan
                [Packers] Packers timing it just right
                by DJRamFan
                Green Bay has won five straight since it flopped in its last appearance on 'Monday Night Football'

By Todd McMahon
                News-Chronicle
                There was a time, not long ago, when a general consensus had formed that the Green Bay Packers' time was all but up in the 2004 season.

They left a national TV audience equal parts flabbergasted and appalled the evening of Oct. 11. The Tennessee Titans stormed Lambeau Field and battered the Packers into submission by way of a 48-27 defeat, the most points ever surrendered by the home team at its sacred stadium.

Like that, the two-time reigning NFC North champions had sunk to the unfathomable low of being at the bottom of the division with a 1-4 record spun out of a four-game losing streak.

That was the last time the Packers had a co-starring role on ABC's "Monday Night Football." My, how the times have changed in the seven weeks leading up to their return engagement - and there's more to it than the network's catching flak for one of its desperate housewives baring herself to Philadelphia star receiver Terrell Owens in a recent pregame locker-room spoof.

At 8 tonight, the coast-to-coast TV audience will be introduced to a Green Bay team that has taken on a new, albeit familiar identity. All the Packers have been doing since bombing in their last "MNF" episode is win.

They put a five-game winning streak on the line against St. Louis (5-5) at Lambeau Field. At stake for the 6-4 Packers is maintaining a hold on the NFC North lead, a concept that seemed a pipe dream in the wake of the debacle against the Titans.

"We know how it feels to be 1-4. That feels pretty bad. We've been through that, and we don't want to go back there," said right guard Marco Rivera.

No turning, or looking, back is precisely the outlook head coach Mike Sherman drilled into his players' heads Wednesday morning. It was his first meeting with the team since addressing it late last Sunday night, following its gritty 16-13 comeback win at Houston in another prime-time game.

He paralleled what transpired in those four quarters to how the Packers' season has unfolded to date.

A 13-3 deficit through a dismal three quarters mirrored their 1-4 start in the win-loss ledger. "In that game, things weren't looking very good," Sherman reflected.

Lo and behold, the Packers caught fire in the final 15 minutes to score 13 unanswered points, pulling out the victory on Ryan Longwell's 46-yard field goal as time expired. A microcosm of how they've rallied in the past month and a half to string together the five wins.

"The guys hung together throughout the game; they believed in themselves," Sherman continued with the analogy. "You're down 13-3 going into the fourth quarter, and guys battled back. I thought...
                -11-29-2004, 01:21 PM
              • ramsbruce
                Don't Look Past The Packers
                by ramsbruce
                It was an exciting win vs the Lions, and it's possible that the Eagles will blow out the Pack tonight. So I hope we aren't looking past the Packers and thinking it's an easy win. Playing at Green Bay will be no picnic, no matter how bad we think they look.

Let's keep things in perspective, yes we put up 41 points but, let's not get too excited about our "high powered O" all of a sudden. The Lions secondary is horrible, let's be realistic. It is nice to see us in some rhythm, and I love the 0 INTS by Bulger, but we aren't a high powered offense (yet), we aren't the GSOT and haven't been for a few years and probably will never be again. It's a nice building block, but until we beat down a few teams with a good secondary, let's keep it in perspective.

I expected a little more from our D yesterday also. We know that Haslett knows how to defend Martz from his Saints days, and let's not kid ourselves the Lions are nowhere close to us when we were the GSOT, so it was a bit shocking that we got torched. I will give Martz some credit he exploited our D, but we could have/should have been able to hold them down a little better, it didn't help our D that our kick coverage was horrible, but I expected a better showing.

Kudos to Steven Jackson for being a stud so far this year, and to our patchwork O Line yesterday who only allowed 1 sack.

Nice to see us have momentum and things seem to be coming together on offense, now we need to put it all together (Offense & Defense) at the same time when we play Green Bay.
                -10-02-2006, 08:49 AM
              • DJRamFan
                [Packers] Packers relish Rams' visit
                by DJRamFan
                By ARNIE STAPLETON
                AP Sports Writer
                GREEN BAY, Wis. - The Green Bay Packers finally have the St. Louis Rams right where they want them: at Lambeau Field, on grass, in freezing weather.

Forgive Brett Favre if he's not jumping for joy.

"Well, I would much rather play them here than at their place. We haven't had much success at their place, and there's no guarantee that we will here," Favre said. "I think it's going to be a very difficult game. Either way. Here or there."

That might be, but he tied an NFL playoff record by throwing six interceptions at St. Louis 22 months ago, then broke his right thumb there last year.

The desperate Rams (5-5), who have lost three of four games, face the surging Packers (6-4), winners of five straight, on Monday night in a crucial game for two teams hoping to display some playoff pedigree in the jumbled NFC.

The Packers are banged up in both backfields, which might very well negate any home-field advantage _ something that sure was missing the last time they played at home on a Monday night, a 48-27 loss to the Tennessee Titans on Oct. 11.

"We'd like to erase that memory with a special Monday night performance and get rid of some of those ghosts we have from earlier in the season," Packers defensive end Aaron Kampman said.

The problems with the Rams go back to Jan. 20, 2002, when Favre threw those half-dozen interceptions in a 28-point playoff loss.

In October 2003, Favre broke his right thumb in a loss at St. Louis. Because he decided to play the rest of the season with a splint instead of having season-ending surgery, he kept alive his consecutive starts streak, which will reach 200 in the regular season Monday night, 219 counting the playoffs.

Few teams have had Favre's number like the Rams, who capitalized on 12 Packers turnovers to outscore Green Bay 79-41 in their last two meetings.

So the Packers have been looking forward to this night ever since the schedule came out.

"They're a different team, as everyone knows, indoors," safety Darren Sharper said. "The fact that we have them at home hopefully will play into our favor. But we're just happy to see them because they put a whooping on us last year and we'd like to get a little payback."

Payback? Guard Mark Tauscher is thinking more along the lines of a setback.

"You can't do anything about what happened last year, or the year before," he said. "But we can give them a big setback and knock them off here and really give ourselves a big boost because anytime you struggle against somebody and then you get over that hump, that's big emotionally."

Just like back in the 1990s, when the Packers lost seven straight to the Dallas Cowboys, three times in the playoffs...
                -11-29-2004, 01:21 PM
              Working...
              X