Was this his last game with the Rams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was this his last game with the Rams?

Barring another unforseen injury, perhaps, after six long years, Bulger has played his last game with the Rams?

:helmet:

Re: Was this his last game with the Rams?

I don't think so.

As I said during the game, one cannot play, but can really throw. The other cannot throw, but has the moxy to play.

gap

Comment

Agree with gap, Boller motivated the troops, and moves well around the pocket, and is not afraid to go after it, but he cannot hit a moving target. On the INT, Amendola has two steps on his man, and it was a really horrible throw ...

Comment

I'd be surprised if that were the case, though I've not heard any updates about his injury besides "bruised shoulder" so that will be the determining factor. Boller provided a spark in the second quarter but didn't do much of anything in the second half, and his interception basically sealed the game for Green Bay.

Comment

Speaking of bruised shoulder. How did he get injured? Based on how I saw brady get protected today (by the officials), Bulger shouldn't be touched without a roughing call.

O.0 I forgot. The cheatroits are supposed to win all their games again this year, so help them wherever they can. They need to change that penalty to roughing the princess when the cheatriots are playing. Bulger takes at least 35-40 hits like that a game, and never gets the benifit of the penalty.

gap

Comment

Well Boller did not declare himself the starter the way he played after the 1st drive in the 2nd quarter. Expect Bulger to start next week if his shoulder is fine.

Boller will be the back-up if Bulger is inconsistent. So this game just gave Bulger a shorter leash.

Comment

i like his mobility

I think Marc will start next sunday, but if things go bad, then Boller should come in asap

Comment

Originally posted by BarronWade View Post
                Well Boller did not declare himself the starter the way he played after the 1st drive in the 2nd quarter. Expect Bulger to start next week if his shoulder is fine.

Boller will be the back-up if Bulger is inconsistent. So this game just gave Bulger a shorter leash.
                That’s sound right to me, Spags has been in Bulger corner. I’m not sure how deep is his commitment to him. He might stay with him to the end.
                :ramlogo:

Comment

Originally posted by gap View Post
                  I don't think so.

As I said during the game, one cannot play, but can really throw. The other cannot throw, but has the moxy to play.

gap
                  I think he will be back this season. I think if we end up with a top 5 draft pick, we will take Bradford or McCoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
                    I think he will be back this season. I think if we end up with a top 5 draft pick, we will take Bradford or McCoy.
                    What is the reason for the confidence in those two?

Comment

If Bulger plays this entire game we lose 45-3.

(The Packer game that is. The 49er game could be even worse)

Comment

Originally posted by PeoriaRam View Post
                        What is the reason for the confidence in those two?
                        They complete passes down field.

Comment

Originally posted by btimsah View Post
                          They complete passes down field.
                          Not hard to do in college with the spread. Neither of those conditions apply to the Rams.

Comment

Originally posted by btimsah View Post
                            If Bulger plays this entire game we lose 45-3.
                            Except there's simply no way of knowing how this game plays out with Bulger in there, so, yeah... :o

EDIT: That's not me claiming we would have won with Bulger, but simply saying there's no way to know.
                            Last edited by Nick; -09-27-2009, 04:12 PM.

Comment

If this game alone were an open competition for the position (which I'd assume it was not), it could go either way.

When Bulger was in the game...he was accurate, completed 3 of 4 passes, but fumbled for the 3rd game in a row. There weren't a lot of specific negatives that you could attribute to Bulger himself, but the offense went nowhere.

When Boller was in the game...he moved the ball by whatever means necessary. He scrambled 4 times for 31 yards and even threw some blocks. On the other hand, he also threw over our receivers' heads a lot and eventually threw the interception that ended our hopes of a comeback.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                                QB Decision May Be Needed
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                QB decision may be needed

BY BILL COATS
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                10/12/2009

Concerning the quarterbacks, it could be an interesting week at Rams Park.

Between Marc Bulger and Kyle Boller, which — if either — will emerge as the healthiest? And which — if either — will be running the No. 1 unit when practice resumes Wednesday?

The odds probably are with Bulger. Yet throughout the bulk of Sunday's 38-10 home loss to the Minnesota Vikings, Boller appeared to be pushing hard to hold on to the starting job he's had the past two weeks while Bulger recovers from an injured shoulder.

That changed on the second play of the fourth quarter. Boller was clobbered by defensive end Ray Edwards just as he released a pass into the end zone. The ball was intercepted and Boller was shaken up.

"I took a pretty good shot and I was a little fuzzy, a little dizzy," Boller said. "I don't think I was out completely ... (or) a hundred percent concussed."

Still, he was dazed enough that coach Steve Spagnuolo turned to Bulger, who served as Boller's backup after suiting up as the No. 3 quarterback last week.

"I don't think (playing) was the plan," said Bulger, who suffered a bruised rotator cuff Sept. 27 vs. Green Bay. "But when it happened to Kyle, we had to do it."

Although he was going against Minnesota's defensive reserves with the Vikings cruising 24-3, Bulger came back with a bang: He hit on all seven of his passes for 88 yards, including a 27-yard touchdown strike to wide receiver Donnie Avery, and compiled a "perfect" passer rating of 158.3.

"I'm just glad we could go in and get some points and escape without hurting the shoulder again," said Bulger, who added that he believes he'll be sound enough to return to the lineup Sunday at Jacksonville.

"It's getting close," he said. "I still need a little more velocity throwing the ball. You never know till you get hit, so we'll see. But ... I think I'll be ready to play the game next week."

If asked, that is. Should Boller bounce back quickly, Spagnuolo might have a decision to make.

Boller was at the helm most of the way as the Rams cobbled together their most productive offensive showing of the year. They rolled up 400 yards, including a season-high 278 through the air, against the NFL's 11th-ranked defense. Four turnovers, three inside the Vikings' 10-yard line, snuffed scoring chances.

"Both quarterbacks looked really sharp," running back Steven Jackson said. "We were able to move the ball. We actually were able to stretch the field, and our receivers made plays."

Boller wound up completing 20 of 31 passes for 209 yards, with the interception; his passer rating was 70.5. He also lost...
                                -10-12-2009, 04:20 PM
                              • Nick
                                Rams quarterback laments mistakes
                                by Nick
                                BY BILL COATS
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                Monday, Oct. 05 2009

SAN FRANCISCO — A former California high school player of the year who went
                                on to a record-breaking college career at nearby Cal-Berkeley, Rams quarterback
                                Kyle Boller was happy to be home again.

"It's always fun to be back in California and San Francisco," Boller said late
                                Sunday afternoon at Candlestick Park. "But I don't care where you are, losing
                                is no fun."

The Rams are having no fun these days.

An error-filled 35-0 spanking at the hands of the San Francisco ***** dropped
                                the Rams to 0-4 for the season and extended their franchise-record losing
                                streak to 14 games.

Boller was given the opportunity to help stanch the bleeding, as he started in
                                place of Marc Bulger. A bruised rotator cuff in his right shoulder relegated
                                Bulger to emergency duty as the No. 3 quarterback.

New quarterback. Same result.

"It's very frustrating," said Boller, a seven-year pro making his first start
                                since 2007 with Baltimore. "I felt like in the beginning, we were moving the
                                ball a little bit, and then we'd have something that'd ... kill our drives."

The Rams mustered just 177 total yards, a low-water mark in this rapidly
                                sinking season. The turndown came just a week after the offense produced season
                                highs of 336 yards and 17 points against Green Bay. Boller took over when
                                Bulger was injured late in the first quarter of that game.

Inopportune penalties stifled the Rams' progress vs. the *****. "Sometimes when
                                we got some plays, there was either a flag or we did something to move it
                                back," Boller said. "We could just never get in any rhythm."

Nine of the Rams' 13 possessions lasted three plays or fewer. A nine-play,
                                62-yard drive moved them to the San Francisco 33-yard line in the first
                                quarter. But their chance to grab the lead fizzled when Josh Brown's 51-yard
                                field goal attempt fell short.

The Rams would cross the 50 just twice more, poor field position plaguing them
                                most of the day.

Boller completed 13 of 24 passes for 108 yards; his passer rating was a meager
                                48.6. He was intercepted once, and it stung: Linebacker Patrick Willis cut in
                                front of wide receiver Keenan Burton and raced 23 yards for a touchdown that
                                made it 21-0 with 5 1/2 minutes remaining in the third quarter.

"I was trying to make a play, but ... I've been in this league long enough to
                                know you never want to throw the ball across your body like that," Boller said.
                                "I can't give them an easy score like that."

-10-05-2009, 08:38 AM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Rams Quarterback Laments Mistakes
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                BY BILL COATS
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                10/05/2009

SAN FRANCISCO — A former California high school player of the year who went on to a record-breaking college career at nearby Cal-Berkeley, Rams quarterback Kyle Boller was happy to be home again.

"It's always fun to be back in California and San Francisco," Boller said late Sunday afternoon at Candlestick Park. "But I don't care where you are, losing is no fun."

The Rams are having no fun these days.

An error-filled 35-0 spanking at the hands of the San Francisco ***** dropped the Rams to 0-4 for the season and extended their franchise-record losing streak to 14 games.

Boller was given the opportunity to help stanch the bleeding, as he started in place of Marc Bulger. A bruised rotator cuff in his right shoulder relegated Bulger to emergency duty as the No. 3 quarterback.

New quarterback. Same result.

"It's very frustrating," said Boller, a seven-year pro making his first start since 2007 with Baltimore. "I felt like in the beginning, we were moving the ball a little bit, and then we'd have something that'd ... kill our drives."

The Rams mustered just 177 total yards, a low-water mark in this rapidly sinking season. The turndown came just a week after the offense produced season highs of 336 yards and 17 points against Green Bay. Boller took over when Bulger was injured late in the first quarter of that game.

Inopportune penalties stifled the Rams' progress vs. the *****. "Sometimes when we got some plays, there was either a flag or we did something to move it back," Boller said. "We could just never get in any rhythm."

Nine of the Rams' 13 possessions lasted three plays or fewer. A nine-play, 62-yard drive moved them to the San Francisco 33-yard line in the first quarter. But their chance to grab the lead fizzled when Josh Brown's 51-yard field goal attempt fell short.

The Rams would cross the 50 just twice more, poor field position plaguing them most of the day.

Boller completed 13 of 24 passes for 108 yards; his passer rating was a meager 48.6. He was intercepted once, and it stung: Linebacker Patrick Willis cut in front of wide receiver Keenan Burton and raced 23 yards for a touchdown that made it 21-0 with 5 1/2 minutes remaining in the third quarter.

"I was trying to make a play, but ... I've been in this league long enough to know you never want to throw the ball across your body like that," Boller said. "I can't give them an easy score like that."

Boller also was charged with a lost fumble on a handoff that wideout Danny Amendola was unable to corral on a reverse play. Niners defensive tackle Ray McDonald grabbed the loose ball and scampered 11 yards...
                                -10-05-2009, 07:25 PM
                              • MauiRam
                                Boller is showing the Rams his mettle ..
                                by MauiRam
                                By Jim Thomas
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                08/29/2009

Perhaps enticed by the sight of the end zone barely 40 feet away, quarterback Kyle Boller was a little late on his slide. Cincinnati linebacker Keith Rivers made him pay with a hit so jarring it knocked Boller's helmet off his head.

Rams running back Samkon Gado was immediately on the scene, telling Boller to stay down and take a minute to recover his thoughts. Boller would have none of it.

"Oh, he's a tough kid," right guard Richie Incognito said. "He popped right up. He got right back in the huddle and he kept going. It didn't even faze him. I would've taken a second to shake that bad boy off; he took it right on the chin."

Boller later conceded things might have been a little bit fuzzy for a few seconds. But you wouldn't have known it by the way he acted in the huddle.

"He said, 'We're going to take this ball in the end zone right now,'" center Jason Brown said. "And that's exactly what we did."

It took three plays to score, but you get the point. Boller showed the kind of bravado the big grunts up front love to see from their quarterback.

"Of course," Brown said. "Not only do we like to set the tempo, but when we see that the skill position guys have just as much enthusiasm as we do, that is very encouraging."

Boller's 8-yard scramble advanced the ball to the Cincinnati 12. After reuniting his helmet with his head, Boller completed a short pass to Laurent Robinson, then handed off to Gado for a short gain. Next came pay dirt: Boller tossed a shovel pass to Gado, totally fooling the Bengals' defense, with Gado scoring untouched from 2 yards out.

The Rams had a 14-7 lead with 4 minutes, 51 seconds left in the first quarter and never looked backed in what became a 24-21 triumph at Paul Brown Stadium.

A few months from now, none of this may mean a thing. But that sequence, and Boller's play in general Thursday, showed his teammates that he can get it done.

"I gained a lot of respect for him; a lot of respect for him," Gado said. "It was a pretty hard hit because I was right there. I saw it firsthand."

The performance didn't go unnoticed by the Rams' coaching staff. Coach Steve Spagnuolo agreed with the suggestion that, if anything, the team now has more confidence in Boller's ability to lead the offense for a game or two — or more — should something happen to Marc Bulger in the regular season.

"Yeah, I think he's kind of proven that," Spagnuolo said Friday. "I think the guys do rally around him. You know, he said it best. How did he say it? It's not his first rodeo. So he's been through it. That's important. I think that's a good thing to have."

Boller has started 42 NFL games since...
                                -08-29-2009, 01:32 AM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Fines Aplenty In Rams-Vikings Game; But None For Hit That KO'd Boller
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                10.16.2009 3:14 pm
                                Fines aplenty in Rams-Vikings game; but none for hit that Ko’d Boller
                                By Jim Thomas
                                St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Three players were fined for uncessary roughness in last Sunday’s Rams-Vikings game, but Minnesota defensive end Ray Edwards was not fined for what some observers regarded as a questionable hit on St. Louis quarterback Kyle Boller. Boller suffered a mild concussion after the hit by Edwards early in the fourth quarter and was done for the day.

However, Minnesota defensive tackle Kevin Williams was fined $7,500 for striking Boller in the head area in the process of making a sack in the third quarter.

The NFL confirmed the previously reported $5,000 fine assessed to Minnesota offensive tackle Artis Hicks for unecessarily striking Rams defensive tackle Gary Gibson, late and away from the ball, early in the third quarter. Gibson suffered a season-ending broken ankle on the play.

The Rams didn’t escape a fine in the game. Cornerback Quincy Butler was fined $7,500 for an illegal horse collar tackle on a second-quarter kickoff return by Percy Harvin of the Vikings.
                                -10-16-2009, 04:35 PM
                              Working...
                              X