Where's the Blitz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the Blitz?

I don't understand how the Rams almost completely abandoned the blitz today. Even as the 4-man rush wasn't working we still continued to onl4 send the front 4. I was pumped for spags coming in here and boosting our D and dudring the first half of the first game against the seahawks it seemed to be working. Since that time. All I continue to see is 4 man rushes. We have fast corners and LB's so when are we going to start sending them. At least try something different.

Re: Where's the Blitz?

I'm pretty sure the Rams blitzed on a couple of occasions today. Didn't watch the game, but I listened to Savard and Farr and heard the Rams bring pressure through the blitz.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
      I'm pretty sure the Rams blitzed on a couple of occasions today. Didn't watch the game, but I listened to Savard and Farr and heard the Rams bring pressure through the blitz.
      I got to catch the last 3 quarters after work, and they very rarely did blitz, and when they did, it was very apparent via the stacked line. Most of them were straight forward gap (aka run stuffing) blitzes. I don't think I saw any stunting/crossing blitzes. I could have missed one or two, but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by King Laurinaitis View Post
        I got to catch the last 3 quarters after work, and they very rarely did blitz, and when they did, it was very apparent via the stacked line. Most of them were straight forward gap (aka run stuffing) blitzes. I don't think I saw any stunting/crossing blitzes. I could have missed one or two, but that's about it.
        Exactly. The D was running so simply a college or high school team could have picked it apart. Rogers was always able to tell exactly where he would be safe and never had to move around even in the pocket to avoid any rushers. Even running outside a couple of times for big gaines and a TD.

If we need a pass rush as everyone is saying, I suggest we begin supplying it ala extra rushers.

Comment

Spag's left his blitzing back in his office in New York...

Comment

I disagree. Rodgers did have to move around a bit. In fact, he took off 8 times, none of which appeared to be designed bootlegs or scrambles. He was also sacked twice, and they almost got to him another time on a play that was clearly a blitz. It seems to me that much like the first two games, we got pressure but not containment.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldenfleece View Post
              I disagree. Rodgers did have to move around a bit. In fact, he took off 8 times, none of which appeared to be designed bootlegs or scrambles. He was also sacked twice, and they almost got to him another time on a play that was clearly a blitz. It seems to me that much like the first two games, we got pressure but not containment.
              It was basically either good pressure and no containment or good containment and no pressure at all. That's going to fail against a guy like Rodgers who can move well and also who can throw deep with good accuracy and has people to throw to.

Pretty sure his TD run was a designed QB run and not a pass play too. They came out with 4-wide and spread the Rams D to either sidelines and left a huge hole in the middle of the field.

Comment

First off Spags isn't calling the plays Flajole is. I was skeptical when I heard a guy from the most conservative Defense in the league Carolina was going to run Spags blitz heavy at least 5 men coming at all times scheme. We need to get more aggressive in our play calls defensively and definately offensively.

I would call for Spags to call the defensive plays, but he doesn't have the luxury of a veteran offensive guy to be in complete control of the offense like Rex Ryan does with Brian Schoteheimer with the Jets. That said if Spags decided to take over play calling I would be all for it, I think he could handle the extra responsibility.

Comment

i have to believe its time to start taking a few more chances... on both sides of the ball...

we seem to be a bit snakebit this year to start out, but if we hold on we may still surprise ourselves and others...

Comment

What the heck has happened to Chris Long and his ability to get to the QB like he did in college? Where the heck is it?

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan View Post
                      What the heck has happened to Chris Long and his ability to get to the QB like he did in college? Where the heck is it?

there was a thread a few days ago about this and it struck me to be mostly about the fact that most guys come around in year 3 as far as the sacks go.. quoted stats from mario williams and a few others i dont recall...

he is ahead of/close to williams pace thusfar iirc in sacks and ahead in tackles...

so it may not be all it appears to be..

Comment

That's fine and all, but this team needs something from him. He does get the benefit of inexperience and he isn't on my list but it's just a wish anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan View Post
                          Where? Its at DT. That's where Chris Long is playing on 3rd downs.

Comment

Originally posted by RebelYell View Post
                            Where? Its at DT. That's where Chris Long is playing on 3rd downs.

well that could be a big dose right there...

;)

Comment

Originally posted by longfan View Post
                              there was a thread a few days ago about this and it struck me to be mostly about the fact that most guys come around in year 3 as far as the sacks go.. quoted stats from mario williams and a few others i dont recall...

he is ahead of/close to williams pace thusfar iirc in sacks and ahead in tackles...

so it may not be all it appears to be..

again-- I do believe Chris is playing out of position by playing the opposite end he played in college. It isnt easy trying to force yourself to go from a right handed stance to left handed and vice versa. Chris should be playing on Leonard Little's side.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                                Blitzing
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Where was it on Sunday? Out blitz packages have looked pretty effective when used this year, so I don't understand why we didn't do it more with a lackluster pass rush most of the day. Manning was way too comfortable in the pocket and when there was pressure, he was easily able to roll away from it. Hasselbeck has the same abilities and there's no way we can expect our weak secondary to perform at any level with little pressure up front.

I couldn't find any stats on the number of blitzes we tried agianst the Giants, but it didn't seem like it was many.
                                -10-04-2005, 02:37 PM
                              • MauiRam
                                Ramview .. mfranke
                                by MauiRam
                                By mfranke Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:29 pm

From Row HH
                                (Report and opinions from the game.)
                                Game #3: Rams 30, Redskins 16

The Rams left Oakland in need of redemption, and found it today at home in a sparkling win over Washington. And to beat the Redskins, the Rams had to overcome just about every kind of adversity you could think up. Looks like our little team is growing up.

Position by position:
                                * QB: Sam Bradford (23-37-235, 78.1 passer rating) is on his way to becoming a force in the NFL. The young man is proving impossible to rattle. He tore up the Redskin blitz all day, kept a steady hand on the offensive wheel and didnít freeze up when a searing spotlight hit him in the form of an injury that sidelined Steven Jackson for half the game. Bradford saved his best work for the second half, with that spotlight full on. The Redskins had just taken their first lead of the game and the pfffft of the air being let out of the Dome could be heard all over the Midwest. So Sam stepped up. He found Brandon Gibson over the middle for 16. On 2nd-and-15, he beat a blitz with a quick hitter to Danny Amendola for an 18-yard catch-and-run. That only led to a 3rd-and-10, but Bradford hit Daniel Fells up the seam perfectly for 12. That only led to a 3rd-and-7, but Bradford sent another perfect pass in the near flat for a not-very open Mardy Gilyard and the kids were all right for another first down, setting up Kenneth Darbyís TD run that put the Rams, strangely unfamiliar as this sounds, ahead to stay. Three clutch plays by Bradford that helped the Rams re-take the lead and established him as a player who can lead, and carry, the team. He made another clutch play to seal the game in the final 3:00, rolling right on 3rd-and-20 and gunning a throw to favorite target Mark Clayton for an improbable 1st down that set up a coups de grace FG. Third down conversion rateís a fair measure of clutch play, isnít it? Behind a rookie in his 3rd NFL game, the Rams converted 7-of-16. Behind a future Hall-of-Fame QB, the Redskins? Converted 1-of-10. For Bradfordís best play, though, go back to the first half, 2nd-and-goal from the Washington 3. Bradford rolls right but doesnít have his primary, Clayton, coming along with him; heíd been knocked down. With nobody open, Bradford makes a move for the goal line, which pulls the cornerback off of Fells in the back of the end zone. Seeing that, Bradford finishes off a splendid fakeout by pulling up and tossing a TD to the now-lonely TE. Bradford completely made this play. Not only did he overcome the loss of his primary receiver right from the snap, he actually got his secondary receiver open. Thatís a QB making his receivers better. A rookie did that? I thought only Peyton Manning could do that. Or make the 8-yard sideline throw that looked like a potential pick, but because Bradford put infinite mustard on it, was only catchable by Amendola for a 1st down in the 2nd. Bradfordís...
                                -09-27-2010, 02:38 PM
                              • MFranke
                                RamView, 11/9/2014: Cardinals 31, Rams 14 (Long)
                                by MFranke
                                RamView, November 9, 2014
                                From The Couch
                                (Report and opinions on the game.)
                                Game #9: Cardinals 31, Rams 14

Late in the 3rd, the Rams knocked Carson Palmer out of the game and Arizona missed a FG. The Rams had the ball and a 14-10 lead. You have to look really hard to find a way to lose a game from there. But the Rams not only found that, they found a way to get blown out. Every time you think this team is turning a corner, they step into traffic.

Position by position:
                                * QB: Composure was elusive for Austin Davis (17-30-216, 62.6 PR) again this week. He was sacked to end the Rams' opening series and they had to waste a timeout to save a delay of game on the 2nd. A ground-oriented TD drive got the Rams on the board after those 3-and-outs, but after that, more sacks, more 3-and-outs. The passing game didn't get out of first gear until late in the 1st half, when Davis threw his prettiest pass as a pro deep to Jared Cook for a 59-yard TD. That made him 8-10-110 at halftime, with a passer rating near perfect. The 2nd half was far from that. Davis couldn't find anything open downfield, or, when he did, on another big play to Cook, it got called back for an illegal block, and then Davis got sacked out of FG range. In great shape to win the game in the 4th (see the introduction), they 3-and-outed again, as Davis got hit while he tried to throw to Stedman Bailey wide open over the middle. Then Davis' wheels came off, with an indescribably bad interception thrown directly to Patrick Peterson. Even if something about Chris Givens' route there was wrong, and I don't think it was, there was nothing he could have done about that poor underthrow. After that, the wheels came off the Ram offense altogether. A perfect pass went off both Kenny Britt's hands and bounced to Peterson for a pick-six. That put the Rams down 24-14 and into siege mode, which ended with another Arizona defensive score. Under heavy pressure, Davis tried to step up and wind up and go downfield but Kareem Martin engulfed him instead for a scoop-and-score fumble return by Antonio Cromartie. It went even further south from there, Davis making wild throws and running for his life before taking back-to-back sacks to end the game. It was as baffling as Roger Goodell remaining employed: the Cardinals had every reason to fall apart, but the Rams fell into a 3-TD sinkhole instead. Arizona's secret: keep the Ram offense on the field. I'm a Davis backer and I'd like to excuse him from a lot of this mess. He doesn't exactly get ironclad protection or get much help from his receivers. Davis needs improvement himself, though. He's holding the ball too long. I don't know if he's slow reading the field or slow reacting to the rush, but he or the ball's gotta get out of there. He's got to be more consistent against blitzes. It's not like he didn't know Arizona would blitz this week, or that he doesn't know he'll face a ton of blitzing from everyone until...
                                -11-11-2014, 07:33 PM
                              • MFranke
                                RamView, 12/14/2008: Seahawks 23, Rams 20 (Long)
                                by MFranke
                                RamView, December 14, 2008
                                From Row HH
                                Game #14: Seahawks 23, Rams 20

The Ramsí litany of losing continues, after failing to show up in the second half on either side of the ball today against Seattle. Thatís eight straight losses overall. Thatís eight straight losses to the freaking Seahawks, who the Rams havenít beaten since 2004. The Seahawks who have THREE wins this year, TWO of them courtesy of your same old sorry assed St. Louis Rams. I need a damn drink.

Position by position:
                                * QB: Marc Bulgerís numbers again werenít spectacular Ė 19-32-207 Ė but his passer rating of 88.9 makes this one of his best games this season. And though he was terrible against Miami, this is the third straight week of excellent pass protection for Bulger, and his game is getting on something of a roll. Heís throwing accurately; his 31-yard TD pass to Torry Holt between two defenders was a beauty. Heís doing little things right like stepping up in the pocket, and the TD pass was made by a sweet pump fake. Heís finding rapport again both with Holt and Donnie Avery. It is taking a while, but with a few weeks of good blocking in front of him, confidence is starting to come back into Bulgerís game. Heís finding receivers all over the field, not just the sidelines. If not for his teammates turning the ball over, Bulger probably would have had the Rams up 24-0 or 27-0 at halftime and they would have coasted home. (As weíd find out, trying to coast home with a ten-point lead? Not so successful.) As it was, he still led the team on scoring drives of 9, 18 and 13 plays. The offense moved with good rhythm for good stretches, and Bulgerís passing was spot on. He even had a reception today (from Dane Looker) out of ďWildcatĒ formation, tying him with Drew Bennett for the season. Dare I ask if itís time now to raise the bar where Bulgerís concerned? Heís still making a living off of short passes. Heís chucking it ASAP at even the hint of a blitz. There was one play where he threw short with the blitz coming; problem was, blitzer Julian Peterson had hit the ground well short of Bulger, before he threw. Marcís doing a decent job of ďmanaging the offense,Ē but weíre clearly seeing that isnít enough to get this team any Wís. The Rams are getting Marc Bulger good protection, and heís working well again with his best downfield threats; letís see if it isnít time to start having him get the ball downfield more often.

* RB: All signs from Steven Jackson (24-91) were that heíd take over the game early and would own it till the end. He came out running with his usual power and drive after contact and really took off in the 2nd quarter on the Ramsí 2nd TD drive. He cut back for 15 on 4th-and-1 behind snowplow-like blocking from Orlando Pace. Jackson turned on the speed a couple of plays later, beating a couple of Seahawks around the right corner for 14, with good downfield...
                                -12-15-2008, 11:17 AM
                              • MFranke
                                RamView, 10/15/2006: Seahawks 30, Rams 28 (Long)
                                by MFranke
                                RamView, October 15, 2006
                                From Row HH
                                Game #6: Seahawks 30, Rams 28

Instead of putting the Seahawks away when they had the chance, the Rams resuscitated them not once, but twice, and in the end, weren't even saved by a football miracle, a spectacular late TD bomb to Torry Holt. In blowing a 21-7 lead and losing, the Rams handed Seattle the hammerlock they had on the NFC West, and let a game get away that never should have, which may come back to bite them in the ass all season long.

Position by position:
                                * QB: Marc Bulger had a spectacular fantasy football day, 26-39-360 and 3 TDs, but like the rest of the team, he had a rough second half that turned a Ram romp into a disappointing loss. Marcís biggest issue today was that he took six sacks, many by holding the ball way too long, a problem he appeared to be past the last couple of weeks. Bulger was a house afire in the first half, even though he blew a TD for Torry Holt on the gameís opening play by badly underthrowing a long pass. He finished that drive with a TD pass to Torry so good, he couldnít have put it in a better place if he had walked down there and handed it to him. He hit Joe Klopfenstein for 28 and Isaac Bruce for 8 to convert 3rd downs on the Ramsí 2nd TD drive; the Rams were 6-for-9 on 3rd down in the half. Bryce Fisher sacked Bulger out of FG position to end the next drive, one of a couple of times the Rams blew a long FG opportunity by giving up a sack on 3rd down. But Bulger fought right back with a 10-yard TD to Holt, making it 21-7 Rams. Marc had a spectacular 140.8 passer rating, and the party was starting. Except now, cue the sound of the record player needle being raked across the record. Bulger hit Kevin Curtis for 39 right before taking another, and frankly bad, sack from Fisher to end the half. They drove back across midfield in the 3rd after Josh Brownís double-doink FG miss, but Marc couldnít get a 3rd-and-3 completion off a rollout. Then things really went to pot. The Rams answered a Seattle TD with a 3-and-out, with Bulger badly missing a very-open Holt on first down. Seattle seized a 24-21 lead before the Rams got the ball again, and they responded with a brutal 3-and-out. Steven Jackson whiffed on Julian Peterson for a sack, then Marc held the ball forever on third down, nearly giving up a safety before being sacked on the 1. Down 27-21 in the 4th, Bulger badly underthrew Holt and instead hit Lofa Tatupu for his first INT of the season. That was the game until Seattle fumbled it back. Then, with 2:05 left, Bulger hit Shaun McDonald for 28 on 3rd-and-7. A few seconds later, he threw one as far as he could, and Marcus Trufant appeared to have a bead on it for Seattle, but Holt snatched it away for a jaw-dropping 67-yard TD, and you know what? That should have been enough right there. Sure, one less mistake from Bulger probably wins the game, but criminy, he still did...
                                -10-16-2006, 12:09 PM
                              Working...
                              X