Happy to get the win, but.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy to get the win, but.....

I am of course thrilled with the must win, however, lest i throw some caution out there before anyone gets too excited.

I was not thrilled with the play of the defense tonight. I thought we gave up plenty of plays early in the game and did not close them out in the second half. Lets keep in mind that sf is a terrible, terrible team, playing without three starting offense lineman.

To me, it looked like every time rattay had time to throw he was pretty successful, killing us with the tight end. Our failure to get pressure all year has murdered us, and with seattle on the road coming off a bye week on the horizon, we are going to have to tackle and cover better if we want a shot to stay in the game.

The key positive for the defense was the two takeaways. That made all the difference. A key sack on the first possession was also a big play after they drove right down the field on us.

Offensively and special teams i thought we were great in the first half, but were unable to finish them off in the second half.

Again, i am not trying to be excessively negative, but we need to improve defensively and most importantly, continue to make plays and cause turnovers if we want a shot to beat seattle on the road.

At this point, even with a loss to seattle, we can stay alive if we beat tampa and miami before the bye. I just hope that the debacle against the saints doesnt bite us in the butt down the road.

Faulk and Bruce continue to prove their value to this team. I like steven jackson as well, but he just is not on the same level as faulk at this point in his career in my opinion.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Re: Happy to get the win, but.....

I thought Marmie did a good job making adjustments after the first drive. He had the DBs come up to the line and play bump and run and he blitzed more.

Next week will be a much tougher test, but its nice to see the Rams get back on track.

Comment

Re: Happy to get the win, but...

Point well made, General. And well taken. :helmet:

Next week will be our biggest test at this stage in the season. GO RAMS! :helmet:

Comment

I was screaming when Butler gave up the TD on the slant. We need to be better at defending that. I didn't get a chance to watch the whole game, but what I did see of the second half, it looked like the ***** were able to find some wide open receivers fairly well. Can't let Seattle do that next weekend. Overall though, looked like a good win.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
          I was screaming when Butler gave up the TD on the slant. We need to be better at defending that. I didn't get a chance to watch the whole game, but what I did see of the second half, it looked like the ***** were able to find some wide open receivers fairly well. Can't let Seattle do that next weekend. Overall though, looked like a good win.
          Actually, after that TD, the Rams stopped the slant 3 times in the red zone.

The last couple of drives were basically the Rams playing soft and letting the clock run down. I wouldn't put too much stock in them.

Comment

With all due respect to the last comment, i dont think we were playing soft until the very end. We were blitzing and sending guys over and over, including coady on several safety blitzes, and we werent sacking rattay, despite their lousy line. We were getting some pressure on him, and i agree that the game was over at that point, but we are going to need to do better against seattle, and hopefully we will be able to do so. More than anything else, to beat seattle, we will need to make some plays on defense as we did tonight.

general counsel

Comment

I too think the Rams took some time off in the second half but why not? They have been banged up all year, and had the game. Why get hurt trying to shut out the whiners when they have to live again Sunday to play the real team in the division?

Comment

Garrett is a loose cannon out there and needs help or taken off the field. The whiners picked on him all second half.

Comment

Same could be said for Butler too boss....he saved his backside with the INT but any receiver lined up across from him is open before the huddle breaks.

Comment

While I thought we played very well last night, I guess my NaySayer side is wanting to keep it in perspective. This was the 9ers. They suck.

Martz called a pretty decent game plan, Marc played well. Now, we got the taste of that win in our mouth. Let's see if we can put two in a row together. This for the division. Can't come out lax...
                    This space for rent...

Comment

Since this thread is all about perspective...

1. Offense --- We looked great. We did whatever we wanted to, whenever we wanted to in the first half. Some will say we stopped in the 2nd half, and I think even Martz would say, "yea, so?". We did all we needed in the 1st half. And how did we get the scoreboard rolling? By establishing a running game, which in turn, opened up our passing game. Thank you Coach Martz for coming to your senses. You balanced the gameplan, and it resulted in 24 points in the 1st half. And you did so against a solid run D. The niners front 7 is as good as we'll see until Carolina. However, the Hawks secondary makes the niners DBs look like a playground touch football defense. Our offensive scheme will be tested next week.

2. Defense --- The D looked good when they needed to (ie. the first half). They loosened up in the 2nd half, but again I don't think anyone should be too uptight about Anderson, Flowers, Lassiter & co. giving up 2nd half yardage to the niners. Rattay opened up in the 2nd half, but the ground game only managed 29 yards in each half.

3. Special Teams --- Landetta kicked well, the KO return team played well, Furrey did a decent return job. The coverage teams were good enough, but still nothing grand.
                      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel
                        I am of course thrilled with the must win, however, lest i throw some caution out there before anyone gets too excited.

I was not thrilled with the play of the defense tonight. I thought we gave up plenty of plays early in the game and did not close them out in the second half. Lets keep in mind that sf is a terrible, terrible team, playing without three starting offense lineman.

To me, it looked like every time rattay had time to throw he was pretty successful, killing us with the tight end. Our failure to get pressure all year has murdered us, and with seattle on the road coming off a bye week on the horizon, we are going to have to tackle and cover better if we want a shot to stay in the game.

The key positive for the defense was the two takeaways. That made all the difference. A key sack on the first possession was also a big play after they drove right down the field on us.

Offensively and special teams i thought we were great in the first half, but were unable to finish them off in the second half.

Again, i am not trying to be excessively negative, but we need to improve defensively and most importantly, continue to make plays and cause turnovers if we want a shot to beat seattle on the road.

At this point, even with a loss to seattle, we can stay alive if we beat tampa and miami before the bye. I just hope that the debacle against the saints doesnt bite us in the butt down the road.

Faulk and Bruce continue to prove their value to this team. I like steven jackson as well, but he just is not on the same level as faulk at this point in his career in my opinion.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
                        I agree wholeheartedly, GC. The defense looked very soft at times, giving up ten yard plays one after another. I know the Rams practically had the game wrapped up by the fourth quarter, but I'd like to see our team finish strong. It just kills me when they give up stupid plays and trash points.

Comment

I saw Hargrove come off the field in the game...How much did he play, and how did he do?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadesofgrey
                            I saw Hargrove come off the field in the game...How much did he play, and how did he do?
                            I remember noticing him around the ball on a couple plays - one where Rattay rolled to the right and Hargrove was right there, leaping towards him and forcing him to throw a bad pass. He seemed to be pretty excited to be out there, jumping around and getting fired up.

Comment

Hargrove was flagged for roughing the qb on a lousy call. nice to see him working into the rotation. I am very impressed with bryce fisher to this point, but i think that hargrove will continue to see more time.

general counsel

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

Dr. Freud's pregame analysis-which rams team will show up?
                                by Guest
                                Since the season started, the rams have been afflicted with repeated bouts of schizophrenia. We have shown the capacity to play as well as anyone in the nfl (see the fourth quarter of the seattle game) and we have shown the capacity to play like an expansion team at times (see the stupid turnovers in the new orleans game, the collapse by the defense at the end of the saints game, the failure to make plays on defense, the capacity to give up endless big plays on defense and the worst kickoff coverage in the nfl).

We are showing every sign of an above average but certainly not championship caliber team, specifically, that we are playing not to our ability, but to the level of our opponent. When you play like that, you put yourself in a position where a big play or two at a critical time can easily cost you a game against an inferior opponent. The great teams win when they are not at their best, the above average teams seem to find ways to have either the breaks or big plays go against them with games on the line (ie the non-int by butler in the atlanta game).

Make no mistake about it, this team has a pulse, but it is marginal at this point. We were incredibly lucky to beat seattle. Notwithstanding the great comeback, better clock management and a couple of catches by receivers that got hit directly in the hands would have ended that game. Think about how different it would look at 3-4 right now without the tiebreaker advantage vs. seattle and the tough teams coming up.

This is the time to step up following the bye and play with consistency if we want a chance to contend. We need to play to our potential and we need to make more big plays than we give up. The defense is never going to be the 1985 bears, but when it has chances to take advantage of mistakes, it HAS to capitalize. Dropped INT's are killing us and note that when we dont create turnovers we lose. A dropped INT is really the same as an offensive turnover in the sense that we lose the chance to have possession of the ball.

The team at this point is too reminiscent of 2000, with the exception of the fact that the offense, while good, is no where near as dominant and we cant outscore people.

Here is what i think we need over the second half.

1) We have to give grant williams more help. He is playing as well as can be expected, but its not good enough.
                                2) We have to capitalize on defense, catch the balls when they hit us in the hands, even aeneas.
                                3) We have to stop giving up so many big plays on defense
                                4) leonard little needs to play better to cause more disruption (ie at a pro bowl level)
                                5) obviously, we need to stay as healthy as possible (we need travis fisher up to speed).
                                6) We have to be able to cover kickoffs better, we are giving up way, way too much field position for a defense that is already shaky
                                7) Consistency is crucial. We...
                                -11-04-2004, 05:14 AM
                              • general counsel
                                Great News, we are officially a mediocre, middle of the pack NFL team
                                by general counsel
                                Over the first six games of the Bradford era, the rams have clearly established themselves as a solidly mediocre NFL team that is obviously on the way up. This is a HUGE step considering that we won a total of 3 games in the prior two years.

By beating San Diego, we have shown that we can beat a playoff caliber team. Our performance in the first half yesterday was nfc championship caliber football. You can't play much better on defense and offense than we played in the first half yesterday, albeit with a couple of breaks (ie a couple of drops by the SD defense that could have been INT's and a HUGE drop by Gates on a perfect third and long throw by Rivers over the middle). For the game, we had seven sacks and no turnovers, in addition to a blocked field goal and a terrific interception in the end zone. With the game on the line, we imposed our will on the chargers and the Big Boy ran the ball down their throats to run out the clock, despite the obvious nature of the play calling. We have improved a great deal in a short time despite crippling injuries at a key offensive position (WR) where we were already lacking a #1 before anyone got hurt. As with almost every team at any level of football, dramatically improved line play on both sides of the ball has been a critical consideration in our ascension.

It should be apparant to the entire NFL that the Rams are a very competitive home team. We are going to beat more good teams at home as the year moves on and the fans enthusiasm can only help the Rams feed off their effort yesterday.

The next test for improvement is consistency and the ability to win on the road. If we can play a full game like we played the first half yesterday, the sky is the limit. We have lost two games that we could have easily won, and frankly, we almost let a win slip away yesterday with wildly conservative play calling in the second half (like we were playing not to lose, rather than trying to win). As well as we played defensively, allowing an 80 yard drive in 40 seconds at a key point in the fourth quarter is something that we can improve on quite a bit. I am sure no one wanted to see Rivers get the ball back with three time outs left only needing a field goal. The Rams have shown dominance in flashes this year, we need to learn to finish teams off and to play more consistently. Playing well on the road is a tough task for all NFL teams, we will see if the Rams can answer the call this weekend in what has to be considered a "winnable" road game at Tampa Bay. If we can respond vs Tampa and beat Carolina (which we should do), we are 5-3 heading into the bye week, a result that i doubt anyone could have projected.

In short, we have come an awfully long way in a short time and if we want to take the next step this season (rather than in the future), we are going to have to win on the road. For now, the Rams fall solidly into the category of "any...
                                -10-18-2010, 12:34 PM
                              • general counsel
                                What a difference a couple of games can make...looking ahead
                                by general counsel
                                Depsite the gloom and doom and the appearance that the defense cant stop anyone, lets assume for a second that we can find a way to beat both the saints and jacksonville and get healthy in the bye week.

Think about how excited and geared up we will all be to head to seattle for a little payback. A healthy bulger and bruce. A jelling offensive line. Little back at full strength, a little momentum. Who knows, maybe an injury or two for seattle to some key guys (and i am not talking about receivers that while talented cant hold onto the ball anyway, i am talking about guys like haselback, alexander, jones etc), maybe a game where the refs dont shaft us and best of all, maybe a game where for one time we play to our potential for a full 60 minutes rather than digging a hole early or playing great early and then collapsing either on defense or via turnovers.

Guys, if we win the next two, rest up, then beat seattle on the road, we will feel night and day different than we do right now. I dont think this falls into the category of believing that the earth is flat or the easter bunny is real, merely a matter of getting healthy and getting break here or there. I honestly feel we are not as bad as we look and a play here or there (especially at the end of both the seattle and san fran games) and our record would be a lot different. They say that the breaks even out over the course of a season. IF that is true, we have some breaks coming to us and it all starts this week by beating the saints at home. If we cant win this game, i think it could be an incredibly long year and time to get serious both about playing the kids and doing our draft prep work.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
                                -10-20-2005, 07:59 AM
                              • general counsel
                                Rams win- The good, the bad and the ugly
                                by general counsel
                                Its great to get a win. Its been a while for the squad. We are a long way from playoff contention, but at least the patient has a pulse. While i still cant get over the first seattle loss as the turning point of the season, no sense in looking back as we cant change anything that happened in the past. If Pace wasnt out for the year, i wouldnt be so negative on our prospects. Our remaining schedule is not daunting with the exception of the bears game, but our offense is so limited without the Big Man that its hard for me to believe that we can finish 9-7. I hope I am wrong and if i am, i dont think its out of the question that 9-7 gets in. A while back i said it would come down to the last game of the year vs. the vikings. I hope we are alive that long and can get on a winning streak. At this point, we need to continue to hope that the teams ahead of us lose, but at the end of the day, unless we win the rest of our games, we are a longshot and if we lose only to the bears, we have at least a prayer.

The Good

Its a win and given what has happened to our season since we started playing the good teams over the last several weeks, we will take any win we can get.
                                We showed heart and fought back at the end to get it done. Best of all, we used almost all the clock so there was no time for them to pull a seattle like miracle against our defense.
                                Tye Hill. The kid will be an all pro and it wont take long. His INT today showed great coverage and phenomenal ball recognition skills in addition to excellent hands. Ball recognition is the key will hill, his speed speaks for itself.
                                Commitment to the run, even when it was less successful in the second half.
                                The Big Boy. A dominant game for steven jackson. The only negative i could find was i think he missed one blitz pick up. He was powerful in the running game and showed great hands again. He is an all pro back. Get off his case everyone. We have lots of problems, he isnt one of them.
                                Wilkins. Great kick at the end of the first half for money. it was the difference in the game.
                                setterstrom. He more than held his own today, especially in the running game. His guy batted down one ball, i didnt see him make a single other play. I think the kid MUST start for the rest of the year.
                                Mike Nolan. His decision to go for the field goal on fourth and one inch was incredible, given the way that gore was killing us. i think that cost them the game. The odds of us stopping them in that situation are about 1 in 100 at best. If they make that first down, even if they ultimately have to kick the field goal, we have to burn all our timeouts and we would have gotten the ball back with under 2 minutes.
                                Bulger. not his best game, but a gutsy performance with suspect protection, except at the end when the line (or what was left of it) really stepped up. His throw to bruce on the last drive was critical. He missed an open...
                                -11-26-2006, 03:45 PM
                                Great win for the squad, bring on the fish!
                                by Guest
                                Another huge, huge win and we appear to have made it through relatively healthy. I wont repeat the bulk of what avenger noted in his 20 thoughts, since many of my thoughts are basically the same (with the notable addition of my post on grant willliams). It is so true that causing turnovers on defense covers a multitude of problems, such as most importantly a very, very poor pass rush. I agree that the play of the corners, especially groce, wasnt great, but griese had way too much time to throw.

I will say this. We have to beat miami if we want to stay in serious contention for home field in the playoffs. This is the kind of trap game that we need to avoid looking past. We are on a short week, about to go on the road and you know that miami wont lose them all. They are pretty tough defensively so we need to avoid turnovers on offense and stupid mistakes that could let them stay in the game. It would be so great if we could get ahead early and get a convincing win heading into the bye week. Looking past anyone in the nfl is a recipe for disaster, as we all saw very clearly in the detroit game last year.

I continue to contend that the real significance of the loss to the saints was the elimination of our "margain for error." If you want home field, division titles, and a chance at the superbowl, you cant afford much in the way of "bad" losses, and while the atlanta game was a game we could have won, at this point, it doesnt look like a bad loss to me, whereas the saints game was over and we couldnt hold them for 28 seconds.

If we beat miami, i think that at 5-2 and a huge win on the road at seattle we have to be pleased. Not thrilled to death, but very pleased, mainly because we will be in control of our own destiny. Looking at new england and seattle coming out of the bye week makes it that much more critical that we dont lay an egg against the dolphins this coming sunday.

Lets all enjoy the win at least for tonight, tampa is very, very tough defensively no matter what their record is, and its a terrific win for the squad.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
                                -10-19-2004, 12:19 AM
                              Working...
                              X