Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injury Update

From Yahoo Sports:

ST. LOUIS (AP)—St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger(notes) has a bruised rotator cuff on his right throwing arm but has not been ruled out for next week’s game at San Francisco.
    Whether Bulger or backup Kyle Boller(notes) starts, winless St. Louis will be without wide receiver Laurent Robinson(notes), who leads the Rams with 13 catches. He will miss the remainder of the season with a high right ankle sprain and a fractured fibula.

Bulger, Robinson and safety James Butler(notes) were all hurt in Sunday’s 36-17 loss to the Packers. Coach Steve Spagnuolo said Butler will miss at least two weeks with a sprained left knee.
    Bulger was injured on a sack that caused a fumble in the first quarter.

I hope that they will keep Bulger out unless he is 100%. Boller played well enough that it's not worth risking further injury to Bulger if he's not ready. I think that the Robinson injury really hurt us. He was hands down our best receiver out there this year. Let's just hope Avery gets over his butterfingers quick.

Re: Injury Update

I am not sure it matters. They will lose with either QB. It is just a matter of which one gives them a better chance at winning (or not losing so bad).

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• eldfan
      St. Louis Rams' Bulger has bruise; Robinson is done Spagnuolo says we will be ok
      by eldfan
      St. Louis Rams' Bulger has bruise; Robinson is done

BY JIM THOMAS
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      09/29/2009

As he stepped to the podium for his regular Monday news conference, coach Steve Spagnuolo looked out the window at Rams Park and quipped: "The sun's out, that's a good sign, right? The sun came up. Everybody's OK."

If only everybody were OK.

The news could've been worse on quarterback Marc Bulger. Even so, he'll still probably miss a minimum of a week or two with what Spagnuolo called a bruised rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder.

"It's not torn; it's a bruised rotator cuff," Spagnuolo said.

Wide receiver Laurent Robinson wasn't so "lucky." Robinson, easily the Rams' top pass catcher through the preseason and early regular season, is almost certainly out for the season with a high ankle sprain and fractured fibula that will require surgery.

Safety James Butler, in some ways the quarterback of the back seven because of his familiarity with the defensive scheme, will miss two to four weeks with a ligament injury to his left knee.

At least there was good news with wide receiver Donnie Avery, who took a shot to the ribs late in Sunday's 36-17 loss to Green Bay. His X-rays came back negative.

"We think he's going to be OK," Spagnuolo said. "He's a little bit sore."

As for Bulger, he was more than a little sore. Had he suffered a torn rotator cuff, that might have ended his season. Nonetheless, sources said he couldn't lift his throwing arm Monday. And just to make sure there's no tear, he may seek a second opinion from James Andrews, the nationally known orthopedic surgeon who has offices in Birmingham, Ala., and Gulf Breeze, Fla.

"He's very sore today," Spagnuolo said. "We'll see where he's at (today) and Wednesday, and if he'll do anything at all. ... We're going to be careful with it."

Bulger went straight from the doctor's office Monday evening to Frontenac, where he was host of the 14th annual Make-A-Wish Foundation Celebrity Server Dinner. If Bulger helped teammates Steven Jackson, Randy McMichael, James Laurinaitis, Chris Massey and others serve dinner, he had to do so one-handed Monday night.

On the football field, quarterback Kyle Boller will be serving up passes in the near term. Boller replaced Bulger in the first half Sunday and helped the Rams fight their way back into the contest before Green Bay pulled away with a pair of fourth-quarter touchdowns.

"Kyle's a fiery guy," Spagnuolo said. "Very confident in what he does. He'd tell you that he'd like to have his first two throws back (Sunday). ... But then he settled down. I thought he did a nice job."

Boller says he'll be ready for whatever the week brings him. Against...
      -09-29-2009, 08:12 AM
    • evil disco man
      Further tests show injuries to Bulger’s shoulder not serious
      by evil disco man
      By Jim Thomas
      St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Additional testing Monday showed that St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger has no serious damage to the rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder, just some muscle injury, according to league sources. Even so, it remains questionable whether Bulger will be able to play next Sunday, when the 0-3 Rams travel to San Francisco.

Bulger suffered the shoulder injury on a sack-fumble in the first quarter of Sunday’s 36-17 loss to Green Bay. He returned on the Rams’ next offensive series, but aggravated the injury diving on a loose football following a Steven Jackson fumble, and was done for the day.
      -09-28-2009, 11:46 AM
    • thermobee
      Rams turn to Boller at QB with Bulger nursing shoulder injury
      by thermobee
      NFL.com Wire Reports
      Quarterback Kyle Boller will make his first start for the St. Louis Rams on Sunday as Marc Bulger rests his injured shoulder.
      Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said Friday that if Bulger dresses for the game against the San Francisco *****, it will be as the third quarterback. Technically, Bulger is listed as questionable.

Bulger hurt his right shoulder during the first quarter of last week's 36-17 loss to the Green Bay Packers. Boller came in and threw two touchdown passes, but the comeback fizzled in the second half.
      Boller is in his first year with the Rams. He had 42 career starts for the Baltimore Ravens, but Sunday will mark his first start since Dec. 16, 2007.
      In other Rams injury news, safety James Butler (knee) is out and rookie OT Jason Smith (knee)is doubtful. Both players were unable to practice all week.
      -10-02-2009, 01:57 PM
    • RamWraith
      Bulger has begun throwing, but return is questionable
      by RamWraith
      By Jim Thomas
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      12/13/2005
      Rams Bulger
      Rams quarterback Marc Bulger (right) is weighing whether it makes sense for him to return this season and risk aggravating his shoulder injury.
      (Chris Lee/P-D)

A part of Marc Bulger wants to get back in the lineup ASAP, even if his injured right shoulder isn't fully healed.

"You don't want to sit here and say, 'I'm going to be smart and just sit it out and get better,'" Bulger said Tuesday. "You think about that a little bit. But that's not my decision. That's not my job. I get paid to play regardless of our record and regardless of how things are going. Right now, I want to be in there."

But a part of him says: Don't rush it this time. Bulger has injured his right shoulder four times over the 2004 and 2005 seasons:

* At Miami on Oct. 24, 2004.

* Against San Francisco on Dec. 5, 2004.

* At Indianapolis on Oct. 17 this season.

* And most recently, against Arizona on Nov. 20.

Each time, Bulger has rushed back into the lineup before the shoulder felt totally right, and he injured it again. The San Francisco injury last season lingered into the offseason - affecting his offseason training - even though he nursed it through the final two regular-season games and two playoff contests.

"It really didn't feel normal again until April or so," Bulger said. "I was a couple months behind last year. So that goes back to would it be smart to come back or not this year."

For now, those considerations are a mere mental exercise, because at the moment, Bulger's shoulder still isn't right.

For the first time since suffering the latest shoulder injury, Bulger threw Tuesday at Rams Park. He still experienced discomfort in the shoulder, and that was throwing at a distance of only 15 yards.

"I couldn't get much velocity," Bulger said. "I wouldn't be able to go in and throw deep outs and deep balls."

Or anything close to that. So that means Bulger will miss this Sunday's home game against Philadelphia, leaving only the game against San Francisco on Dec. 24 and the season finale Jan. 1 at Dallas.

Bulger will try to throw again early next week. But if he can't throw 15 yards without discomfort this week, will his shoulder improve dramatically in seven days?

"I don't anticipate it getting much better that quick," he said. "But I'm just trying to prepare myself if it is."

If he isn't ready by San Francisco next week, it seems almost silly to attempt to play in the final game. Why risk taking a shot on the shoulder against Dallas, which could mean another late start in his offseason conditioning program? Because every time Bulger injures his shoulder, he can't lift...
      -12-14-2005, 04:10 AM
    • RamWraith
      Down time for Bulger
      by RamWraith
      By Jim Thomas
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      10/18/2005

Only once in the past five seasons has the Rams' starting quarterback made it through the entire 16-game schedule unscathed by injury. It won't happen this season, either.

Although no one is saying anything officially at Rams Park, quarterback Marc Bulger almost certainly will be sidelined until after the team's bye week (Nov. 6) after suffering a shoulder injury Monday night in Indianapolis.

Bulger is expected to miss this Sunday's game against New Orleans, plus the Rams' game Oct. 30 against Jacksonville. There's an outside chance that Bulger could return against the Jaguars. But it's more likely that he will remain sidelined until the Rams' game Nov. 13 in Seattle.

In the meantime, Jamie Martin will be the starter with rookie Ryan Fitzpatrick as the top reserve. It's possible the Rams could add a third quarterback to provide insurance until Bulger returns. Former Rams draft pick Jeff Smoker, released this preseason, remains available. But as of early Tuesday evening, no decision on adding a quarterback appeared imminent.

Bulger has been diagnosed with a sprained AC joint in his throwing shoulder. As far as any further bone or structural damage, X-rays Monday in Indy and an MRI Tuesday in St. Louis were negative.

The AC joint - or acromioclavicular joint - basically is where the shoulder blade meets the collarbone. Most shoulder separations occur at this point.

In terms of sprained AC joints, Bulger said, "I think there's all kinds of degrees. How far the joint separates and things like that. But fortunately, we took X-rays right off the bat, and there's no bone break or anything like that."

When asked Monday night how bad he thought this injury was, Bulger replied, "It seems similar in pain to last year."

And by "last year," he meant the shoulder injury he suffered Dec. 5 against San Francisco, not a lesser shoulder injury he suffered Oct. 24 in Miami.

"When I had the Miami (injury), I was able to go back in," Bulger said. "But I knew after this one (against the Colts), I was unable to continue. But hopefully we'll get some good news ... and they can shoot some crazy stuff in there, and I can come back sooner. Maybe. We'll see."

This marks the third time in four seasons that Bulger will miss time because of injury:

*Last season, he missed the Rams' Dec. 12 game in Carolina and Dec. 19 game in Arizona, as well as most of the Dec. 5 ***** contest because of the shoulder injury.

*In 2002, he missed Games 11-13 because of a hand injury, and then missed most of Game 15 and all of Game 16 because of neck and back injuries.

*In 2003, Bulger started every game after replacing the injured Kurt Warner (concussion) after Game 1....
      -10-19-2005, 04:12 AM
    Working...
    X