Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Young Rams must take advantage of opportunities ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young Rams must take advantage of opportunities ...

So we're 0-3, battered, yet again, by injuries, struggling to get a win. We watch week after week as small mistakes pile up only to rip victories away ...

I fully expect this team to fold like some satin sheets. They'll give up, they'll give in to losing. They'll start mouthing off to coaches, buy out of the system, and play for next year's contract. By the end of the season, they'll be screaming at fans, and nobody will show up to the Dome ...

Wait a minute, this isn't 2008. Fast forward to the Spags Era. And forget that last paragraph, because it isn't happening here. This tough as nails general, known as Spags, won't let this happen. Watch the field every week, the players believe, they believe in the system, they believe in this guy, they believe in each other. Once it starts to gel, it's going to work, I truly believe that, and its been a long time since I truly did. But hows all this going to happen given the current state of things? Well, it's going to take time, it's going to take patience. And more importantly, some of the young bucks on this team are going to have to become MEN!

Maybe this is not in the best interest of the team, or his career, but I hope Marc Bulger can recover just well enough this week to stroll out on the field against the 49'ers and take charge of this team. He is beaten and bruised, and his shoulder probably hurts like hell. But what better why to motivate a group of young players, some with confidence wavering, some who need that spark to get them over the hill, by walking out there in pain, and saying, "Lets do this guys, nothing can stop us". Sure, Boller gave that "spark", but just like Rich Gannon many years ago, Kyle Boller remembered he was Kyle Boller and his play reflected it. His defiecencies came to the forefront, and he couldn't get us over the hill. DOn't get me wrong, I like Boller, I hope he's the backup here for 6 or 7 years, but we need somebody to lead this team. Bulger is that player, at least for now.

I want to see Bulger come out and play, and stand in that pocket fearlessly, putting all his faith in this line, not afraid to be hurt. Yes, it might an insane thing to do, but let's see who has the balls to stand up and do the job ...

S. Jax is a beast but somebody in the group needs to step up and lend a helping hand. Darby showed the first sign, making a great catch on 3rd down against the Packers to move the chains. He needs to do this on a week to week basis, and more than once a game.

I feel so sorry for Laurent Robinson. He was proving to be a great talent. Something to look forward to next year. Avery needs his confidence back. Everyone seems to forget his spectacular he was at times last year. Hopefully Shurmur sends him deep a few times and lets him get a big grab. He'll be fine. But the one that needs to emerge here is Burton. He plays nearly as big as Robinson despite being a couple inches shorter. He plays nearly as fast as Avery. He has great hands, propensity to run after the catch, and could be a star. Boller singled him out for a burst last week and he looked great. Let's see it all the time.

I want to see J. Lau continue to command that defense like he did last week. I want to see Larry Grant step in for Vobora this week if he cannot go, and to TAKE Vobora's job, not because Vobora is not playing well, but because Grant is playing GREAT! I want Daniel Fells to emerge as a serious threat. I want Fletcher or King to play like a stud, to push Jonathan Wade just a little harder towards becoming a great cornerback.

I want to see Gary Gibson and Clifton Ryan fight their tails off in the trenches, only to have the inevitable happen as LeJuan Ramsey, who has been a wrecking ball in the few plays hes been in, takes one of their jobs. I want to see Chris Long start blowing up QB's.

I want to see Anthony Smith take over at SS and prove a case why he should be the starter there, only to have James Butler come back to be motivated to play even a little better. I want to see Craig Dahl be that hybrid machine on defense that we've lacked for years.

I want to see Amendola bring one to the house, both on a kickoff return and on a slant across the field.

And most importantly, I want this coaching staff to continue to believe in the players and the fans. It's going to happen here, you can just feel it ...

I hope the 49'ers think that this is the SAME OLE SORRY ASS RAMS coming to town this week. They might be in for a rude awakeneing.

I think this is the week to shine!

Re: Young Rams must take advantage of opportunities ...

Great post!

Comment

I love your attitude and outlook. This is a very different team with a new outlook from their HC down to the lowest assistant! We will win this week because it's the hated *****!

Go Rams!

Comment

I w/ ya .... all except the Bulger part.

Keith Null anyone? I mean, if we're rebuilding ....
        If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

Comment

Cant say I agree with you folks one bit although its hard to say that your team sucks or to go through the embarassment it brings as a true team fan. We will not win this week. usually when we play the ***** its a good close game right to the end and then they normally steal it from us.

But not this weekend folks. Im afraid we are just too thin at depth to beat anybody at this point, let alone a 49er team who is playing well right now.

Comment

They still have to play the game.

Comment

Originally posted by blood85 View Post
              They still have to play the game.
              damn rite..bring `em on!

one thing i know about the post linehan Rams..we are no longer beaten before we play any game.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                Five Players That Need To Leave In 2010
                by r8rh8rmike
                Five Players that need to leave in 2010
                by ram_rod on Dec 29, 2009 4:34 PM CST in 2009

So if this perennial injury bug has any positive, it's that we've been able to see what just about everyone on the whole team can do. Sometimes, you get pleasant surprises, like Danny Amendola or Craig Dahl. Sometimes, you see things you didn't want to see. So who should we expect to be shown the door this offseason? Here are five players that need to be sent packing if the Rams want to turn things around. Of course, having your head where the sun don't shine may have it's advantages...

Firstly, the player that needs to go the most is Alex Barron. Throughout his entire career, he has shown everything that the Rams do not stand for. A general malaise and a disregard to understand that false starts aren't actually a good thing has made him a favorite scapegoat for this team. Jason Smith should have, could have and would have taken his spot at LT if he wasn't suffering the ill effects of a nasty concussion. Hopefully he will get better soon, as their will be a vacancy at that position after the season ends.

Final Straw (If for some demented reason you still think he should be on the team): Drawing a penalty on the first play of the game on Sunday vs. the Cardinals.

Next, you have the one and only Randy McMichael. Stone hands hasn't been much of a threat, and since Daniel Fells has shown enough (he is now on the IR), he will most likely be shown the door. With the receivers as inexperienced as they are, he was the only real veteran threat and could have really helped out this team (and anyone of the three QB's who've played) by stepping up and playing well. Instead, he got shown up by a undrafted two year pro. Nice Randy.

Final Straw (If for some demented reason you still think he should be on the team): Anyone of his drops this year.

Thirdly you have Jonathan Wade. Yet another bust of the Rams, he has done virtually nothing to help this team. Through 46 games, he has 63 tackles and a pair of INT's. It's one thing if you need more time to develop, it's a completely other thing when Quincy Butler, the workout warrior of the team, starts ahead of you. How many chances do you need? He started the season, was replaced by Fletcher, who subsequently was injured, and then couldn't even hold the job down against some low level free agent picks.

Final Straw (If for some demented reason you still think he should be on the team): It might be the fact that he hasn't done anything, or the fact that the coaching staff hates him.

Fourth is the one and only Samkon Gado. This guy's been somewhat of a mystery, as he had a good preseason by all measures (he is a backup, after all), had a relatively good camp and was thought to have been a good enough back to assist Steven Jackson. For whatever reason, he just hasn't been able to get it done. When...
                -12-29-2009, 07:28 PM
              • MFranke
                RamView, 9/27/2009: Packers 36, Rams 17 (Long)
                by MFranke
                RamView, September 27, 2009
                From Row HH
                (Report and opinions from the game.)
                Game #3: Packers 36, Rams 17

Trying to give the Packers more than they expected today, the Rams bogged down in turnovers, penalties, and a defense yet to learn that bend-but-don't-break doesn't mean bend over backwards. And in the end, the Rams may have been the ones getting something they weren't expecting. Like maybe a quarterback controversy?

* QB: Marc Bulger (3-4-23) had a painful day that came to a painful end. He wiped out modest early success with a fumble inside his own 20 late in the 1st quarter, as Aaron Kampman wheeled around right tackle and stripped him from behind. Bulger was just too unaware of that non-blind-side pressure and not protecting the ball well enough there. Luckily, that only cost the Rams three points. Bulger was also injured on that play, whatís currently being called a bruised shoulder. Kyle Boller (16-31-164) entered in the 2nd, and after opening with his best Rick Ankiel impression, settled down and sparked the Rams into turning a blowout into a competitive game. He kept a drive alive with 3rd-down passes to Laurent Robinson and Kenneth Darby before firing a perfect pass to Daniel Fells in the far right end zone for the Ramsí first TD. That drive also featured Boller insanely trying to lead-block for Jackson, throwing a big hit on a cutback. Boller answered again after Green Bay extended the lead to 23-7, taking the offense 84 yards in under 2:00, capped off by another perfect TD throw to Fells, this time in the far left end zone. Key plays to set that up: a 16-yard pass to Keenan Burton and a 13-yard scramble. Boller ran 4 times for 31 yards, which looks like a necessary release valve for the Ramsí stuttering offense, while also being a gear Bulger doesnít really have. But after pulling within 23-14 at halftime, Boller couldnít sustain momentum. The Rams settled for a FG when Boller scrambled and threw a pass well short of Donnie Avery inside the 10. Unfortunately he didnít see Danny Amendola breaking open late for an easier first down. A deflection nearly intercepted by Johnny Jolly killed another drive, as did a Randy McMichael drop. Things gradually fell apart for Boller as the Packers consistently got good pressure on his rollouts. Down 12 again in the 4th, Boller could only produce a weak 3-and-out and then an interception by Charles Woodson, jumping a telegraphed pass over the middle for Amendola. Accuracyís an issue for Boller that it isnít for Bulger. Boller missed several open receivers on the sidelines, in a variety of ways, too; overthrows, one-hoppers, you name it. Despite the pretty TD passes, I havenít known Boller to be a very accurate sideline thrower. That and the pick helped drop his passer rating to 75.2, or about where Bulgerís been all season, but while scoring double Bulgerís TD output for the season. I know, I know. The most popular player on a losing football...
                -09-28-2009, 02:12 PM
              • eldfan
                Rams Team report
                by eldfan
                Kyle Boller is expected to be the Rams' starting quarterback for Sunday's game in San Francisco.
                Marc Bulger, who injured his shoulder in Sunday's loss to Green Bay, did not practice again Friday.

Bulger said midweek that his shoulder hasn't gotten worse, "which is good," but also admitted it wasn't noticeably better. Mobility with his arm, and having the ability to make throws, will be the issue more so than pain since he said, "I've played frequently with pain."

Boller, who went to school at the University of California, is relishing the chance to start Sunday. He also is glad to be taking snaps with the first unit, which is something he didn't do last week, before being called on to play when Bulger was hurt at the end of the first quarter.

Asked about being comfortable running the offense, he said, "With me, when you don't take very many reps in practice, I could sit there and say that a certain play I have a five-step drop and actually going out there and not having taken a rep of it, I might take an extra two by accident. It is those little things, the details of fine-tuning everything to where, if I take that five-step and get it out of my hand, it might have been the difference in me putting the ball in front of the guy or behind the guy. It is little things like that that really will make a big difference.

"I don't think it is really unfamiliarity; it is just a matter of taking the details and fine-tuning everything, making sure we are sharp. If it is supposed to be a 14-yard comeback, run it at 14 yards. It is not like a guy forgets that it was a 14-yard comeback, it is just things like that. If I've got to take a five-step drop, take a five-step drop; don't take a seven-step drop. If it is three-hitch and three-plant, do your three-plant. It is just little things like that."

As to whether there will be aspects of the offense designed if he plays, Boller said, "No, I don't think there are certain plays that he (Bulger) has, that I have. We are just trying to operate this offense; it is still new to us. It is going to be a growing process but I think that we are making strides. I know after watching the tape there is a lot of work that we can go out there and help ourselves with to score more points."

Boller has a rep of starting cold and then settling down. Against the Packers, he was wild high on his first two passes, then got on a roll and that led to two touchdowns. He hopes to start strong against the *****.

"It is frustrating to me because I could literally throw those with my eyes closed," he said of the incompletions against Green Bay. "Just bad technique; I will hit those next time. I am not worried about that. Looking back, just a couple of fundamental things, just going through and completing the ball.

"Every offense is different. You might...
                -10-03-2009, 06:51 PM
              • rNemesis
                HOW CLOSE IS THIS TEAM TO COMPETING?(VERY LONG)Please provide feedback
                by rNemesis
                First of all let me just say that these last few years have been VERY frustrating and embarassing for me as a RAM FAN and I'm sure you guys are just as disappointed. I have watched my team go from the greatest show on turf to, as a washington post columnist said after the redskins loss, " the most miserable mass on grass". MY main question here is , " How far are the rams from being a decent competitive rock solid team? Its a long way to go; it doesnt happen overnight but it shouldnt take FOREVER either.

But I am not gonna sit here and talk about that all night. We know what has happened. We know what we've become. 13 straight losses dating back to last season. 3-13 in 2007 and 2-14 in 2008. 5 wins in the last 30 or so games? ( not sure exactly the stats) That is horrible.

Let's go back year by year as to how we finished record wise.
                In the 1990's we were bad. But so were other teams which are now good today. But if you look at our 90's record to others, you will see that we were bad most of those years. Other teams had bad years too during the 90's but it was only really the lions, bengals, cardinals and saints. That should show you how bad of a team the Rams are. We never finished over 7 wins from 1990 up until 1999, which was our superbowl year. Which now tells me that the Rams have been bad, are now bad, and I hope we dont continue to be bad. But lately one has to believe that that is the penalty for our actions.

2000- 10-6 DECENT
                2001- 14-2 ( excellent; we beat the pats that season but lost in the SB to the same :|)
                2002- 7-9 Not bad
                2003- 12-4 excellent
                2004- 8-8 not bad; competitive
                2005- I think we were 7-9 or 6-10 cant remember
                2006- 8-8
                2007- 3-13 horrible
                2008- 2-14 lousy

I am not surprised at how we have fallen so badly. What I cant seem to understand is how fast we have fallen as such. How come we havent been able to stop the bleeding and bounce back like other teams have seemed to?

So tell me guys. How far off is this team from competing? Well, I look at the league and I have noticed that most of the other teams have playmakers in a lot of key positions. Why is that? Because they do a great job of DRAFTING PLAYERS THAT FIT INTO THEIR SCHEME WELL. We on the other hand have not done that lately. We have drafted players that have done well IN THEIR SCHEME and so it didnt matter to the previous regime ( Jay ZYgmunt ) if they fit or not the point was they wanted them so much that they drafted them regardless of their college scheme and success. In the era since Martz left, we have drafted the likes of busts ( or so they appear to be) like Tye Hill, Adam Carriker, Claude Wroten, Fakhir Brown, etc. The list goes on and on.

THIS HAS REALLY HURT THIS ORGANIZATION SO MUCH THAT IT IS REARING ITS UGLY HEAD NOW. Bad drafting has put us in such a talentless hole that...
                -09-29-2009, 06:43 PM
              • RamsInfiniti
                And when the smoke finally settles ....
                by RamsInfiniti
                What are we going to see from this Ram's team?

I guess this is a pre-camp prognosis of some sort. I typically try to look at the season each year, and I usually come up with a semi-inflated, overhyped outlook of the Rams. This is simply because I love the Rams. You always make things you love out to be better than they actually are ...

Well, with this new, and improved, version of the Rams, I don't feel like I can make an accurate assessment. Honestly, I think this team can end up with anywhere from 4 to 10 wins. And there are a variety of reasons I believe this ...

First, I've indicated time and time again that I am a firm supported of the theory that there is not much gap in talent from team to team across the NFL. When we talk about talent, we talk about the physical and mental ability of players to be successful and make plays. Just because a player has talent does not mean he will be successful in the NFL, it simply means he has a shot. There is a reason there is an NFL combine each year. It is to see which players can physically, and to some extent mentally, cut it in the NFL. From team to team, across the board, the talent is pretty similar ...

What distinguishes how the talent translates on the field? Well, in the short term you have to look at experience, morale, the "system", the coaches. In the long term, you have to look at how well such players adapt to change, how versatile they are, whether they can stay healthy, whether they are content with where they are, who they are, and who they might be ...

So what are the major problems with the Rams of 2009? Simply lack of inexperience from my point of view, at least at most positions. Lack of morale at others ...

Look at what we have. A new upbeat coaching staff with a vision of a modern WCO and physical defense. A QB that is smart and accurate, a protypical freak of a RB, quick, agile fresh WR's, an established TE, a strong young offensive and defensive line, hungry young linebackers, world class speed and nice size in the secondary ...

So what's the problem? A QB lacking morale after the beating he has taken, injuries to that chisled freak of a running back, questionable depth behind him, WR's with little or no experience, no proven depth at TE, an offensive line that will be learning one another, undersized defensive line that will have to learn to be creative to take advantage of opportunities, only one proven linebacker, and defensives back that have tons of talent but all seem to be missing "it" with the exception of Bartell and Atogwe (wait to see on Butler) ...

So, what does this mean? The talent is there, no doubt in my mind. So what does this coaching staff have to do? It's three-fold in my opinion ...

1. Make the players forget - Make them forget they are losers, start them off on a level playing field. Get them...
                -07-29-2009, 10:35 AM
              Working...
              X