No announcement yet.

Why have Jackson's run stats improved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why have Jackson's run stats improved?

Through 3 games this year, Jackson has carried the ball 60 times for 288 yards (4.8 ypc).

Through 3 games last year, Jackson carried the ball 50 times for 159 yards (3.2 ypc).

Why the change?

The opponents are comparable in terms of run defense (2008: Eagles, Giants, Seahawks/2009: Seahawks, Redskins, Packers). Both seasons started with 2 road games and 1 home game.

The passing threat was arguably greater in 2008, as the Rams still had Torry Holt.

So... why the difference?
    Jackson's holdout in 2008 held him back.
    24.44%
    The run blocking, particularly from the center position, is better.
    37.78%
    The playcalling has been better suited to Jackson's running style.
    11.11%
    The difference after three games is nothing more than a statistical anomaly.
    15.56%
    Other reason (describe).
    11.11%

Re: Why have Jackson's run stats improved?

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Through 3 games this year, Jackson has carried the ball 60 times for 288 yards (4.8 ypc).

Through 3 games last year, Jackson carried the ball 50 times for 159 yards (3.2 ypc).

Why the change?

The opponents are comparable in terms of run defense (2008: Eagles, Giants, Seahawks/2009: Seahawks, Redskins, Packers). Both seasons started with 2 road games and 1 home game.

The passing threat was arguably greater in 2008, as the Rams still had Torry Holt.

So... why the difference?
    More carries- Jax does seem to get better during games,the more carries he has..often that is not evident tho because we abandon the run due to the score.

also Jax took part in more of the off-season than he did last year..

id like to think the O-line is improving also..

Comment

Jackson has had several long runs this year that he didn't have last year.

JMO but the offensive line isn't nearly the problem people want to place blame upon. Bell is FAR better than last year and Brown is a massive upgrade. They are 12th in sacks (much improved) and they are opening holes. Give these 5 starters a 20 game training period and I think they'll be considered a better than average o-line. The only guy I'd personally change out for an upgraded player is Incognito.

Comment

My thoughts...

Though the 2008 holdout didn't help, its not like Jackson did much this preseason, so I don't think that's it.

The playcalling does not strike me as the answer, though perhaps there have been more "between the tackles" plays called.

So... I'm going to have to go with the run blocking. I think you have to consider the possibility that Brown is, in fact, making a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by RebelYell View Post
          Jackson has had several long runs this year that he didn't have last year.
          FWIW, he's also had a few called back due to penalties.

Comment

Absolutely the run blocking. I paid a lot of attention to the replays this weekend(Thanks to those sweet little TV's over our heads), specifically on the blocking that was done to free up Jackson, and it looked rather good. The line and Karney, whom he followed this week, finally, are just opening up holes in the defense for Jax to get through. Imagine what'll happen when we have a passing game they have to worry about!
            I believe!:ram:

Comment

I remember Howard Balzer talking about the Washington game. 8 runs were for zero or less yards. Jackson is getting his stats from the long runs. To me that means a lack of consistency which honestly could be expected considering defenses aren't respecting the passing game. The Rams this year just aren't stretching defenses with longer passes. That should get better as Avery heals and gets back to 100%.

Comment

I voted "other" although I could make an argument for all the above.

I think a more competitive defense has kept the running attack a more viable weapon. All of these first 3 games have been more or less tight until well after halftime. Mistakes on both sides of the ball have allowed teams to pull away,rendering the rush attack irrelevant except to pad SJ's stats and keep the score from looking even worse,imo.

Most significantly, SJ is also carrying the load totally alone. No other team in the top 15 in rush is doing that. They all get support from the other backs.Even the Vikes use Chester Taylor more (17/41).

And we have the lowest total attempts of all those good rush units. Most that fans would describe as power teams have near or over 100, eg NYG (106), ; we are at 72.Some of that obviously has to do with overall caliber/production; better teams run the ball to protect a lead & are successful in moving the sticks with it.But when Bulger is in a statistical dead heat with Darby as our second runner ( actually 3rd if you count Boller's scrambles in the one game), I have to worry about Shurmur's overall grasp of how to use the talent available & what makes a run unit successful for a whole game, never mind a season.4 carries for 14 yds in Darby's case. That is ridiculous and unsustainable,imo. There's always a chance that SJ can carry the Rams to a win but most of the competitive efforts last year involved Darby in the pass and run.

Yes, SJ is fitter, seems more in sync with his blockers/scheme this year.Pre-season isn't as important as practice with the scheme and unit,imo, and game fitness.

Yes, Karney & the O-line are doing a better job than last year's bunch.

Yes, the playcalling has been better but not by much. I think he has still been under-utilized as a receiver and some big chunks of pointless run yardage has been achieved at the end of games when it was of dubious use.

In short, I think he's doing all he can on his own behalf but needs better help from the pass O, blocking, playcalling, and other RBs for this change in the stats to be worth anything to the team's win/loss column.

The truly sick poll would be to guess how many 100 yd games SJ will have before he scores a TD, never mind a Rams win.Talk about Sisyphean futility.
                Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-30-2009, 01:01 PM.

Comment

I think the holdout did effect him last year, but I voted for the offensive line. They haven't been great, but they are much better than they were at this time last year.

If anything, I think Jackson has been missing some opportunities. A couple times this year I've seen him bounce outside when he actually had a nice hole to run through. This is no doubt a product of him having no place to go in seasons past. Once he realizes he doesn't have to go outside every play, look out, because he's going to be even better!

Have faith guys. We're going to win 5 or 6 this year, and that's good enough for me. It's going to take a few years, but I think we are definitely going in the right direction!
                  Last edited by ScottD413; -09-30-2009, 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Better O-line this year with the addition of Brown, but also the play of Ritchie. Some may not like his out of control at times attitude, but the guy can block. Lot of runs went behind him and Brown in this last game. That is not by accident. I don't know the official run left, run right yards by Jackson but from where I was sitting the game he seemed to always running to the right.

Karney is an upgrade in the running game

Play calling - I think overall the play calling stinks. No long pass plays even to keep the D honest. Stacking eight in the box because they knew we were not going deep does not help the running game. Even so they were still moving the ball and getting positive yards.

Steven does seem recharged this year for sure

Maineram -

Comment

I voted for the holdout in 2008, but I think it's a combination of that and the run blocking. I just felt that Steven came into this season re-focused and working harder than ever. Last offseason and preseason, all the talk was about his contract situation. This time around, it was all about doing whatever it takes to get better.

Comment

Jackson had a total of 10 carries in the preseason this year. I really have a hard time believing that those 10 carries are the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by RebelYell View Post
                          I remember Howard Balzer talking about the Washington game. 8 runs were for zero or less yards. Jackson is getting his stats from the long runs. To me that means a lack of consistency which honestly could be expected considering defenses aren't respecting the passing game. The Rams this year just aren't stretching defenses with longer passes. That should get better as Avery heals and gets back to 100%.
                          I am concerned about this in our running game. We have to start stretching the field or Jackson is going to continue to get stuffed at the line time and time again. The long runs are there occassionally. But, he takes quite a beating before he can get one. Our OC needs to do a better job or we are going nowhere. That goes for our pass protection as well. The defense is better poised this year, while still needing to find an answer for the pass rush. The offense needs to do its part.

Comment

Don't forget, other teams' defenses also chane, have players injured, other factors we're not considering...etc.

But I do agree, Cogs run blocking I've noticed is not bad, Karney is looking pretty solid, Brown is pretty nice too, Bell...ehhh...

Comment

i think the run blocking is slightly better, but still has a lot of room for improvement. last year, we had real trouble at center and bell was gone for almost the entire season - say what you will about him but he's solid. smith is also an upgrade over barron in that respect on the right side, probably so is goldberg.

Comment

Working...
                              X