Little playing Monster position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little playing Monster position

Anyone catch Little lining up in the Monster Linebacker position, giving him a rage of gaps and dropping back into coverage. Basically giving us 4 linebackers and 3 down lineman.

Re: Little playing Monster position

Rams benefit by moving Little::

By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    10/04/2004

Rams safety Aeneas Williams acknowledges the crowd after the Rams' victory Sunday night.
    (Gabriel B. Tait/P-D)

SAN FRANCISCO - Rams coaches have talked about moving Leonard Little around on defense for much of the season. On Sunday night, they finally did it.

Little, who has been a mainstay of the St. Louis defense at left end for the past three seasons, was moved off the line of scrimmage in what basically was a linebacker position for a few plays against San Francisco.

"It was a little changeup," Little said after the Rams' 24-14 victory at Monster Park. "They just put it in this week, to see how it was going to work out. I think we got pretty good pressure when we did run it."

Little was moved to the middle of the field on those plays, standing up a couple of yards behind the line of scrimmage.

"I'll do anything that's going to make this team get better and win," Little said. "They can line me up at safety, I do not care, as long as this team wins games."

Little recorded his second sack of the season, but it was from his usual left defensive end position. He also recovered a fumble - forced by linebacker Tommy Polley - for the Rams' first takeaway of the season.

Injuries limit Archuleta

Because of back and hamstring injuries, Adam Archuleta was replaced in the starting lineup at strong safety by Rich Coady. But Archuleta came in as part of the nickel and dime packages and was effective and active on defense. He was credited with five solo tackles, according to unofficial press box stats.

"I think it was just a matter of I didn't practice this week," Archuleta said. "And I think most coaches pretty much have a policy that if you don't practice, you don't play. So that's just the way it went. We had talked about it before the game, that that was going to be my role, and we would see how it felt."

Archuleta made it through the game without aggravating either ailment.

"It didn't get any worse, so I'm confident that Wednesday I'll be ready to go," Archuleta said.

Wednesday is the first practice day of the week.

Tercero and Garrett make debut starts

Offensive guard Scott Tercero and cornerback Kevin Garrett made their first NFL starts for the Rams. Tercero replaced Chris Dishman, who was a pregame inactive because of a sprained knee. Garrett started in the cornerback spot manned by Aeneas Williams last week against New Orleans.

With DeJuan Groce on the pregame inactive list for the second straight week with a sprained knee, the Rams decided to move Williams back to free safety and give Garrett a chance this week. Garrett has played sparingly this season - in fact he didn't play a down from scrimmage last week against the Saints. Tercero was a preseason surprise at tackle, but guard is his natural position from college.

Newson sits

Joining Groce and Tercero among the Rams' seven pregame inactives were: LB Tony Newson (ankle); CB Travis Fisher (forearm); DT Jimmy Kennedy (foot); and offensive guards Blaine Saipaia and Darnell Alford. Alford and Saipaia were healthy scratches. Newson, one of the team's special teams regulars, suffered a sprained ankle last week against New Orleans.

Among the inactives for San Francisco were WR Brandon Lloyd, a former University of Illinois star, and DE Andre Carter, who averaged 8 1/2 sacks in his first three NFL seasons.

Prime-time Mike

Sunday's victory was the Rams' seventh straight in prime time under coach Mike Martz, and fourth straight on Sunday night. The team is 11-5 overall in prime time under Martz, and 12-8 in such games since the move to St. Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by RamWraith
      Anyone catch Little lining up in the Monster Linebacker position, giving him a rage of gaps and dropping back into coverage. Basically giving us 4 linebackers and 3 down lineman.
      Great observation, RW. I think this is what the coaching staff was wanting to work toward when they brought in D-Lew and Grease. Once Pickett establishes himself as an NT in this quasi 3-4 situation and D-Lew becomes more comfortable in that strong side DE spot, I think we will see more of this from Little.
      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

now this is what i like to see. being aggressive and trying out new things. about time marmie!

Comment

I swear to god . . . If little was a regular citizen he would be in JAIL right now . . . lucky for him he is one hell of a football player

Comment

Misunderstood the post. Silly me.
            Last edited by ZigZagRam; -10-05-2004, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uberman
              I swear to god . . . If little was a regular citizen he would be in JAIL right now . . . lucky for him he is one hell of a football player
              Of course, at the same time, he might be able to redeem some of his social worth by turning into the MLB the Rams' identity is searching for.

Comment

His trial is in February.

If he were not a pro football player, his trial would be in... February.

So, what's your point?

Comment

Little playing the monster is a brilliant idea......

Move Leonard Little to Monster.......BRILLIANT!!!!

Comment

Brilliant!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam
                      His trial is in February.

If he were not a pro football player, his trial would be in... February.

So, what's your point?
                      I think the point is that if he weren't a pro football player, he wouldn't be having a trial in February because he'd still rightfully be in jail for killing someone instead of out drinking and driving AGAIN.

I rather like the Rams, but Little is the most loathesome player in the NFL. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings by saying so.

Comment

I won't defend Little's actions, but I will correct your statement.

Little received a sentence within the guidelines for his first conviction. Any other first time offender with gainful employment would have received the same sentence. Likewise, his current charge is being handled within the rules applicable to everyone.

Whether Little is the most loathesome player in the NFL is certainly debatable. Jamaal Lewis certainly would get some votes in that category.

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

Leonard Little not the most loathesome player in the NFL...BRILLIANT!

Comment

LL is playing w/commitment & hopefully, with maturity. Expect another solid job at DE this yr. :helmet:

I think Little is a good man. A couple of very foolish mistakes are in his life forever, but I perceive him to be essentially a good man learning to be better.

Right, Avenger, about Jamaal Lewis. He and Ray Lewis, those two are at the bottom of my list! :tough:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                                Archuleta admits to playing with pain
                                by RamWraith
                                He doesn't think he'll miss game with *****

[email protected]

ST. LOUIS - By Steve Korte

Strong safety Adam Archuleta said a back problem won't keep him out of the St. Louis Rams' game against the San Francisco ***** on Sunday night.

Archuleta has been bothered by a bulging disc in his back for a couple of weeks. He sat out practice Thursday and Friday.

"Two thumbs up, I'm good," Archuleta said when asked if he'd be able to play against the *****.

Rams coach Mike Martz said the team will wait until Sunday to make a decision on whether Archuleta will play against the *****.

"We'll just see how he is on game day," Martz said. "I think he'll be all right. He is just a little stiff back there ... he has a little bit of bulging disc and it is tightening up a little. Until he can get it loosened up, it is kind of hard."

Rich Coady took Archuleta's spot with the first-string defense in practice, but Archuleta said there was no chance that he wouldn't be in the starting lineup against the *****.

"It'll be all right by Sunday," Archuleta said. "It's just a matter of this is what we do for a living. I don't know how else to answer. You see your teammates out there battling and everybody is working hard and trying to get this thing right.

"No way does watching them enter your mind."

Archuleta has been playing through the pain this season. He leads the Rams in tackles with 30 this season.

"It's frustrating because in a perfect world you want to feel your best every day," Archuleta said. "Obviously, it is easier to perform when you do play your best, but few guys during the NFL season can say that they're feeling their best. There is always going to be something wrong. It's just one more thing you have to deal with."

Archuleta the fact that the Rams are the only NFL team that has yet to force a turnover this season has weighed heavily on his mind.

"I'm more tired about not getting any turnovers than people asking me about it," Archuleta said. "It's just something we have to do. It's the biggest factor in winning football games.

"I think guys feel a sense of urgency. We want to step up and make plays. We want to be the spark that ignites the chain reaction."

Left guard Chris Dishman was unable to practice all week due to a sprained ankle, meaning Scott Tercero will likely take his place against the *****.

Tercero was elated about the possibility of making his first NFL start in his own background.

Tercero grew up in Pico Rivera, Calif., and played college football for the University of California.

"It is going to be great to go back there and play against a team like the Niners,'"...
                                -10-02-2004, 01:21 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Coady Strong at Safety
                                by RamWraith
                                Friday, October 8, 2004

By Nick Wagoner
                                Staff Writer

Rich Coady made the most of his opportunity against San Francisco on Sunday night.

Coady has spent most of his career rotating as the backup free safety, backup strong safety, and coming in on nickel and dime packages. After making his first start at free safety against New Orleans in week three, Coady appeared to be relegated back to a reserve role.

That was the case until it became evident that strong safety Adam Archuleta, a close friend of Coady’s, started battling back spasms. Coady stepped in to his friend’s place and played one of his best games.

Coady made 10 tackles, falling one short of his career high and added a forced fumble against the *****. That effort earned him the team’s defensive player of the week honors.

The ever-humble Coady said he couldn’t take all of the credit for his strong performance.

“When you get all 11 guys playing well, it makes it easier,” Coady said. “A lot of the stuff that I did well is a direct result of everyone else being in their gap and doing what they’re supposed to do.”

With Archuleta limited because of continued back problems and the return of cornerback DeJuan Groce imminent, Coady is set to start at strong safety again this week.

Coady said he is used to shuttling between the two safety spots, but he feels more comfortable at one.

“I do feel a little more comfortable at the strong,” Coady said. “That’s what I played in college and that’s where I have gotten most of my starts in the NFL. To me it doesn’t really matter, it’s just about being on the field.”

Coady started at strong safety for Texas A & M for three seasons, earning All-Big 12 Conference honors his senior season. He spent his first three seasons with the Rams before going to Tennessee for a season. He signed with Indianapolis the following season, but the Rams traded a seventh round choice for him before last season.

The uncertainty of whether he is going to start doesn’t bother Coady much anymore, as he has embraced his role as the utility guy. He has grasped the old “one play away” cliché as his personal mantra and it has paid off.

“Every week I go in and prepare like I’m going to start,” Coady said. “Whether coach tells me I am going to start on Monday for the following Sunday or five minutes before the game, it’s not going to change how I prepare.”

INJURY REPORT: There was little change to the injury report on Thursday.

Cornerback Travis Fisher (broken forearm) and defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy (broken foot) are listed as out. Left guard Chris Dishman (sprained knee) and linebacker Tony Newson (ankle) are questionable. Kennedy has resume light running, but there is no immediate timetable on his return to practice.

Probable for the Rams...
                                -10-08-2004, 07:10 PM
                              • RamDez
                                Archuleta will be in lineup at strong safety Monday
                                by RamDez
                                Archuleta will be in lineup at strong safety Monday
                                By Jim Thomas
                                Of the Post-Dispatch
                                Saturday, Oct. 16 2004

A healthier back has put Adam Archuleta back in the starting lineup. After
                                being reduced to duty in the Rams' nickel and dime packages the past two games,
                                Archuleta will start at strong safety Monday night against Tampa Bay.

"It's starting to get a little bit better," Archuleta said. "Hopefully, my goal
                                is to get through the bye week and try to return 100 percent. But I'm feeling a
                                lot better than I did."

The Rams enter their bye week following an Oct. 24 game in Miami. Archuleta has
                                a bulging disc in his lower back. So far, he has avoided injections to treat
                                the injury and hopes to keep it that way.

"We're trying not to go that route," Archuleta said. "If it gets worse, then
                                that may be an option. But I would prefer not to. We're doing treatment, and
                                just a lot of body work."

Even with the reduced role the last two games, Archuleta still ranks second on
                                the team with 46 tackles. He had eight tackles against both Seattle and San
                                Francisco. Rich Coady, who started in Archuleta's place in those two games,
                                goes back to his role as the Rams' fifth defensive back.

When asked if the lighter workload on game day helped the past two Sundays,
                                Archuleta said: "I don't think it makes really a big difference. I'm trying to
                                take care of myself, and see the right people, and do the right rehab things,
                                and that seems to help."

Thomas sits

The Rams may be regaining one defensive starter in Archuleta, but could be
                                minus another - middle linebacker Robert Thomas - against the Bucs. Thomas
                                watched in sweats during Saturday's practice, the last full workout of the week
                                prior to Monday night.

Thomas suffered a sprained ankle in Game 3 against New Orleans. Before the
                                ***** and Seahawks games, Thomas had limited work early in the week but
                                practiced at the end of the week, then played that Sunday. That wasn't the case
                                this week.

Thomas, who is fourth on the team with 36 tackles, was added to the team's
                                official injury report Friday and listed as probable. Rookie Brandon Chillar
                                would start at middle linebacker in Thomas's place.

Bulger's shoulder shows improvement

The Rams were concerned enough about quarterback Marc Bulger's throwing arm
                                that he underwent an MRI earlier in the week. But the exam showed no structural
                                damage. Bulger didn't miss any practice time.

"It was bruised," Bulger said following Saturday afternoon's workout. "It was
                                just a little weak. It's getting better each day. Monday it'll be 100 percent."
                                -10-17-2004, 02:37 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                Versatile Coady proves valuable for defense
                                by RamWraith
                                By Bill Coats
                                Of the Post-Dispatch
                                10/07/2004

Two decades ago, the Cardinals had a "secret weapon" in Jose Oquendo, so dubbed by broadcaster Mike Shannon for his ability to fill in effectively at several positions. Now the Rams have their own version.

Utilityman Rich Coady will make his third start in a row Sunday when the Rams (2-2) travel to Seattle to face the NFC West-leading Seahawks (3-0). For the second week in succession, he'll replace ailing Adam Archuleta (back) at strong safety. Two weeks ago, Coady filled in at free safety for Aeneas Williams, who made a one-week return to cornerback.

"We're fortunate to have" Coady, coach Mike Martz said. "This is a message to all the other players. It's like Marc Bulger: He's the third quarterback (in 2002), and all of a sudden by midseason he's starting. Those guys, when they weren't playing, they weren't wasting time."

Coady, a Texas A&M product who had a total of six starts in his five previous NFL seasons, gets most of his playing time with the Rams as an extra defensive back in the nickel and dime alignments. But he said he's learned to gear his readiness for all possibilities.

"Every week I go in and I prepare like I'm going to start. I go through the film like I'm going to start," he explained. "So whether the coach tells me that I'm going to start on Monday for the following Sunday's game or five minutes before the game, it's not going to change how I prepare."

Whatever system he uses, it seems to work: Coady was named the Rams' defensive player of the week after collecting 10 tackles, two pass break-ups, a forced fumble and a quarterback hit in Sunday's 24-14 victory in San Francisco.

"I think everyone on defense played well. And when you get all 11 guys playing well, it makes it easier," Coady said. "A lot of the stuff that I did well was a direct result of everyone else being in their gap and doing what they were supposed to do."

The task looming for the Rams this week should be considerably stiffer. Whereas the winless ***** are near the bottom of the league in several statistical categories, Seattle is hovering near the top, particularly on defense. The Seahawks are No. 1 in total defense (242.3 yards a game) and scoring defense (4.3 points). Plus, they're rested after a bye week.

"When you watch them on film, they really play mistake-free football," Coady said. "They don't turn the ball over, they don't have assignment gaps, they're not giving up free sacks, they're not running the wrong routes. ... You don't go 3-0 in this league unless you're doing something right, and they're doing everything right."

Groce is ready

With the Rams short of defensive backs Sunday, the temptation to rush cornerback DeJuan Groce...
                                -10-08-2004, 07:05 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Defense Makes Statement
                                by RamWraith
                                Monday, October 4, 2004

By Nick Wagoner
                                Staff Writer

SAN FRANCISCO- With complaints in St. Louis ranging from play-calling to the offensive line, the Rams’ defense has, perhaps, been the most maligned.

Entering Sunday night’s game against the *****, the group had been pushed around by the likes of New Orleans’ running back Aaron Stecker. The questions swirled around the unit like a tornado. Why couldn’t they stop the run, some cried. How come they can’t get a turnover, others inquired.

Consider those questions answered. Every member of the defense emphasized every day that nobody wanted to create big plays more than they did. Defensive end Leonard Little even went as far as taking the blame for the loss to the Saints, claiming that he needs to carry the defense at times.

It was no coincidence then that Little came up with the ball when the Rams finally got that long-awaited takeaway. With 1:45 to go in the first quarter, linebacker Tommy Polley broke through the offensive line and pried the ball loose from San Francisco quarterback Tim Rattay as he brought his arm backward. The ball bounced forward where Little caught sight of it and made his move. With a golden opportunity to get that first turnover, Little said he wasn’t about to let it get away.

“We work on scooping and scoring every day in practice, so I just wanted to pick the ball up first,” Little said. “I just picked it up, but the first objective was to get that possession and that first turnover.”

The Rams’ sackmaster spent most of his evening moving all over the field, lining up on both sides of the line and generally wreaking havoc in the *****’ backfield.

He said he doesn’t worry about where he plays as long as he is making things happen.

“I don’t care, they can line me up at safety, I do not care,” Little said. “As long as the team wins and we keep getting on this roll.”

Getting turnovers wasn’t the only goal for the Rams entering Sunday night’s game. The defense had been prone to allowing big running plays and was set on improving in that area. Defensive tackle Ryan Pickett insisted that his teammates were much better than they had shown in the first three games, but were waiting to break out.
                                That problem appeared to be corrected, also. The Rams held San Francisco to 58 rushing yards and only 3.1 yards per carry. Running back Kevan Barlow gained just 42 yards on 15 carries.

Little said that kind of effort was exactly what the defense was looking for.

“Our main objective was trying to stop the run,” Little said. “We were able to do that pretty much tonight. We did a good job.”

LONG-TIME LISTENERS: Cornerback Kevin Garrett and offensive lineman Scott Tercero made their first career regular season starts against San Francisco.

Garrett started in place of DeJuan...
                                -10-05-2004, 05:37 AM
                              Working...
                              X