X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramblin` Ram
    replied
    Re: Enough carrot--its time to break out the Stick

i think the playing staff has known from day one of the new regime that nobodys job is safe...i think theres currently 2 players that at present cant be cut due to their contracts..but thats only 2 out of 53.

our D are not the problem and havent really been throughout the season so far...but they are the group who have lost more players during the season.

with our salary cap being in such a mess due to the previous regime..we cant buy our way out of trouble by getting in more proven players..the only option is to get unproven players and work on them to find ways of them getting better..that is what we`ve been doing.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Enough carrot--its time to break out the Stick

I'm sorry, but I think the management should be behind players after yesterday's game.

Sure, there was some bad play by our team, but some of those calls were redundant.

Leave a comment:

• Ram Dragoon
    started a topic Enough carrot--its time to break out the Stick

Enough carrot--its time to break out the Stick

Obviously, the carrot isn't working, its time to break out the stick.

The Rams need to hold a secret team meeting with management present and put it bluntly to the players...you are now playing for your JOBS. In the mean time there are a host of other released players in the NFL that can't be any worst then what the Rams have now. And just maybe someone hungry for a NFL career will arise.

To that end the Rams need to sideline key assets and use them sparingly. With the O-line, just state it to them since they can't get the job done, there is little point risking injury to those the team aims to have next year.

Right now it seems too many players think management will stand behind them and place the blame on the coaching staff...perhaps if the players see management standing totally behind the staff, perhaps it might wake a few players up

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsInfiniti
    And when the smoke finally settles ....
    by RamsInfiniti
    What are we going to see from this Ram's team?

I guess this is a pre-camp prognosis of some sort. I typically try to look at the season each year, and I usually come up with a semi-inflated, overhyped outlook of the Rams. This is simply because I love the Rams. You always make things you love out to be better than they actually are ...

Well, with this new, and improved, version of the Rams, I don't feel like I can make an accurate assessment. Honestly, I think this team can end up with anywhere from 4 to 10 wins. And there are a variety of reasons I believe this ...

First, I've indicated time and time again that I am a firm supported of the theory that there is not much gap in talent from team to team across the NFL. When we talk about talent, we talk about the physical and mental ability of players to be successful and make plays. Just because a player has talent does not mean he will be successful in the NFL, it simply means he has a shot. There is a reason there is an NFL combine each year. It is to see which players can physically, and to some extent mentally, cut it in the NFL. From team to team, across the board, the talent is pretty similar ...

What distinguishes how the talent translates on the field? Well, in the short term you have to look at experience, morale, the "system", the coaches. In the long term, you have to look at how well such players adapt to change, how versatile they are, whether they can stay healthy, whether they are content with where they are, who they are, and who they might be ...

So what are the major problems with the Rams of 2009? Simply lack of inexperience from my point of view, at least at most positions. Lack of morale at others ...

Look at what we have. A new upbeat coaching staff with a vision of a modern WCO and physical defense. A QB that is smart and accurate, a protypical freak of a RB, quick, agile fresh WR's, an established TE, a strong young offensive and defensive line, hungry young linebackers, world class speed and nice size in the secondary ...

So what's the problem? A QB lacking morale after the beating he has taken, injuries to that chisled freak of a running back, questionable depth behind him, WR's with little or no experience, no proven depth at TE, an offensive line that will be learning one another, undersized defensive line that will have to learn to be creative to take advantage of opportunities, only one proven linebacker, and defensives back that have tons of talent but all seem to be missing "it" with the exception of Bartell and Atogwe (wait to see on Butler) ...

So, what does this mean? The talent is there, no doubt in my mind. So what does this coaching staff have to do? It's three-fold in my opinion ...

1. Make the players forget - Make them forget they are losers, start them off on a level playing field. Get them...
    -07-29-2009, 10:35 AM
  • RamWraith
    No player's brain should be like scrambled eggs
    by RamWraith
    By Bryan Burwell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/07/2007

For those of us who sit comfortably on the fringes of pro football, it's an exciting game that gives us everything we need: an exhilarating blend of world-class athleticism, breathless violence and flashy pageantry. We're the witnesses to this modern gladiator sport whose greatest investment is fanatical emotion and the occasional devotion to the point spread.

But when it comes to our relationship with football, we are sort of like the chicken and its contribution to a hearty egg-and-bacon breakfast. The chicken merely provides the egg.

But since the pig provides that bacon slab as a result of a butcher's blade whacking off its hindquarters, that would make the pig a bit more committed than the chicken.

In the NFL, the players can surely relate to swine. We might think we love the NFL, but the players are the ones who are physically committed. They're the ones who are taking physical risks while we boo and hiss or wave a few pompoms. They break bones and shred ligaments. They're the ones who too often have their brains scrambled in brutal collisions that we euphemistically call "having your bell rung," but medical folks more accurately describe as the devastating process of having your brain slammed violently around the inner casing of your skull wall.

So that's why I personally have no problem with Rams quarterback Marc Bulger's honesty and caution when reporters asked about his status for Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals. Bulger has been trying to recover from his latest concussion for nearly two weeks, and on Wednesday made it clear that despite being given clearance by team physicians to practice, he wasn't ready to rush blindly back into game action.

When someone asked if he would be starting Sunday, Bulger said, "I wouldn't say that. I haven't been able to do anything for the last 10 days. There was a baseline test. I passed that. That was just to get me back on the practice field. Believe me, I'm the No. 1 person I'm hoping I get cleared this week to play. (But) it will be premature to say on Wednesday, after one practice ... that I'm the starter."

I'm not sure what most people's reactions were to Bulger's cautiousness. But I know what it should be.

Understanding.

Concussions are nothing to fool around with. In professional boxing, in most states, if a boxer suffers a concussion, sanctioning bodies won't allow the boxer to participate in a match for at least 30 days. In the NFL at least until recent years there never was such caution. Players could go back into games after they "got their bell rung."

They do it, and they were labeled as tough guys.

But the truth is, that toughness was a dangerous mistake.

The culture of football at every level...
    -12-08-2007, 06:22 AM
  • chiguy
    Three types of players...
    by chiguy
    Usually we think of players as either being good or bad, but let me propose something a little different in light of what's going on with the Rams. There are players who show up and do their part, those who are decent players but a bad fit for whatever reason, and those who aren't really competing.

The first group consists of those players who are trying hard, living up to their potential, and generally "aren't a problem"; maybe they're stars, maybe they just do their part.

The second group consists of players who have talent and may even be trying hard, but just can't contribute because of reasons beyond their control. Some of these reasons may be injuries, a bad fit for the schemes, poor use by the coaching staff, or even just bad chemistry.

The third group are those players who can't get it done. Here there are two subgroups. Type A, otherwise known as we can call it the Dominque Byrd Player Type (DBPT) has the talent, but cannot get it done on the field because of their attitude, their effort, or their perpetual boneheadedness. Type B, otherwise known as Brian Leonard Player Type (BLPT), just can't get it done because they're not good enough. Maybe they're not bad guys and they have some skills, but they aren't really NFL caliber players.

Some examples of what I'm talking about:
    Group #1 -- Ron Bartel, Donnie Avery
    Group #2 -- Orlando Pace, Will Witherspoon
    Group #3, Type A -- Richie Incognito
    Group #3, Type B -- Jason Craft

Now in addition to needing more players in Group 1 then the other two groups, I think its imperative that your most talented players be in Group #1 for your team to be competitive. So let me ask you these questions:

1. Where do you place the Rams most highly paid players in this scheme? Bulger, Jackson, Pace, Holt, etc. Be honest.

2. Do we have too many players in Group #2 (which is mainly a coaching problem) or in Group #3 (which is mainly a management problem)? Which players are you talking about?

Sorry, but the professor in me came out while thinking about how crummy the Rams are. Still...maybe this will be worth talking about. Or not....
    -11-17-2008, 04:14 AM
  • Guam rammer
    Mistakes?
    by Guam rammer
    Is it a coaching mistake that players jump offsides, false start, blow coverages, drop easy passes, fumble, and get flagged for pass interfearance and unsportsmanlike conduct?

This is what killed our team this year. We are the most penalized team in the league at this point. And during close or crutial times of games we fumble, drop passes, and blow coverages.

This season is comming to a close and reality kicked in last night that we won't be playing any extra games this year. We've been penalized out of the post season and its time to create an offseason program for our players to address these problems. players should be held accountable for the mistakes that cost us a season. Coaches taking the blame for player mistakes should be put to rest.

I understand that Football is a team sport and a coach is only as good as his scheme, and personnel. but these players have been focused on playing football all their lives. Pop Warner, to the college ranks. they've been scouted and have been prepared to perform. Proper preparation is the coaches part, its the players job to execute.They were'nt brought onto this team because they make mistakes. They're supposed to have potential, and an unstoppable desire to be a winner....coaches too.

An offseason program that stems into the regular season to eliminate these mistakes should go a long way, and should be given serious consideration. If there already has been a similar system in place... we've got serious problems.
    -12-12-2006, 08:15 PM
  • Varg6
    Would the Rams show fire if...
    by Varg6
    Someone threatened to kill themselves if they didn't win next Sunday?

Can this team show any intensity? Or care? If someone's life was at stake, would they care? Would they try...

In no way am I trying to be funny, because this is no laughing matter. This team is awful and my point is that we have many, many bad seeds that need to be cut. I can't see myself claiming more than 15 players on a 53 man roster to continue playing for this team. And I'm not sure if I'd even put Bulger (I think his career is over as a result of poor offensive line play, not because I don't think he was a great QB, just not anymore...) in the 15...

So, perhaps if someone's life was at stake, maybe they'd show some care for 4 quarters rather than when the game is already over. Garbage time, as so many of you have elegently put it.

We need this team sold, plain and simple.

Our season, our playoffs and Superbowl is unfortunately this offseason. If we don't make major smart, and professional changes fast, I don't think we'll be able to have a good team for another 5-10 years. I truly believe that this offseason is the time for the Rams to rebuild entirely. If we're going to spend the big bucks, it's now, this offseason.

I want to see trades, big FA acquisitions that make sense, big name draft picks that make sense and I want a new attitude to this lifeless team.

New owner, new FO, new coaches, new staff, and most importantly, new players.
    -11-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Working...
X