Thoughts after the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts after the game

First of all... for anyone that thinks Jackson sucks, or doesn't care. Please, explain to me why?

He was the only one when we were down that was showing any emotion and getting our offense energetic. He kept running hard, and ran angry later in the game. He was trying and trying to break something open, but the holes were completely closed. And when he did hit the hole, someone disengaged from the block and he got tackled right away. He got hit right away on every screen play and started screaming at the team and I presume it was Shurmur late in the game. Jackson is not a negative on this team, he's an incredible positive. And I would never, in a million years trade Jackson. Keep him locked up until he retires.

For anyone that thinks Jason Smith sucks and is a bust (I've read it a bit when he was in there), your completely wrong. Our offensive line played better while he was in the game, and when we ran to the right side, he was a bulldozer prior to his injury. Next week, when he's back, he's going to be huge for us. I'm excited for him to get back.

Our defense, is good. But a lot of people will disagree. If you watch the games, you'll see this. It's not just our defense that Tight Ends grab a lot of passes, it's all defense. All the Tight ends that have done that this season are Pro Bowl tightends, All-Pros, or whatever. They're getting paid the big bucks for a reason. Our run defense is improving each, and every game. There aren't many holes for running backs to run through, and when they get through, our Linebackers and Safeties are there to meet them. It seems like every defensive series, they start off defending at the 35 or 40 yard line. Defending a short field, but they've been doing better.

Now, my short tidbits.

- Activate ANTHONY SMITH from here on out, I loved when I seen from him today. He played a very solid game, and I love his intensity.
    - Move BRADLEY FLETCHER up the depth chart. If you watched, you seen. He had good coverage and didn't have any passes thrown his way, and made some nice plays in the run game.
    - JUSTIN KING needs to slide down behind Fletcher and Quincy Butler. I said before this game, that this wasn't a good move. And it showed, a 3rd down play given up to Vernon Davis, and terrible coverage against Josh Morgan late in the game, he was absolutely beat.
    - CHRIS LONG is playing very good, he isn't showing the sacks, but he's been getting more hurries, and almost had a sack today. He's playing the run very good.
    - I'm torn on who to start at SLB, it's either Paris Lenon or Larry Grant. Grant was right around the ball each time he came in, and had a sack too. Lenon didn't have any big plays, but didn't give up any plays.
    - JACOB BELL needs to be benched, he keeps getting beat consecutively, I'd rather have Alex Barron at LT and Greco at LG than Greco at LT and Bell at LG.
    - Get the ball to DONNIE AVERY, have him run deep and do his thing, and toss him those WR screens, that's his bread and butter. And everytime we did a WR screen, it worked. We did it twice, unacceptable.
    - JAMES LAURINATIS is a stud MLB, he was all around the field today, was play very physical and full of energy, he made a lot of right calls, including a few audibles. The Vernon Davis touchdown was a good audible by Laurinatis, he just fell behind Davis and the safety got over there late.

NEW OFFENSIVE LINE:

LT Alex Barron
    LG John Greco
    C Jason Brown
    RG Richie Incognito
    RT Jason Smith

Bell is a huge weakspot, Barron wasn't playing BAD, but not great. He had one stupid penalty, but the very next time we ran the same play, Greco got called for the same thing. I'd rather have a mental error once in awhile, rather than a bunch of blown blocks like Jacob Bell.

NEW CORNERBACK CHART:
    1. Ron Bartell
    2. Jonathan Wade
    3. Bradley Fletcher
    4. Quincy Butler
    5. Justin King

- Bradely Fletcher made a huge statement this game, IMO. Very solid game, gave up no plays, and made a few nice plays and nice hits.

Overall Grading:

Offense: F
    - Just horrible, our offense didn't move the ball at all, gave up 14 points and gained ZERO.

Defense: B
    - 4 sacks and only gave up 2 touchdowns considering they were backed up on a short field the whole game thanks to the offense.

Special Teams: C-
    - Great return to open the game, but why the hell can't we ever get a good return after that? Gave up a touchdown on a fumle play, quite lucky but still gave it up.

Overall: F
    - The strength of that offensive F and all the problems weighs to heavily to get anything better.

Re: Thoughts after the game

[QUOTE=RamsFan16;309253]
    - Activate ANTHONY SMITH from here on out, I loved when I seen from him today. He played a very solid game, and I love his intensity.

- CHRIS LONG is playing very good, he isn't showing the sacks, but he's been getting more hurries, and almost had a sack today. He's playing the run very good.
    -
    - JACOB BELL needs to be benched, he keeps getting beat consecutively, I'd rather have Alex Barron at LT and Greco at LG than Greco at LT and Bell at LG.
    -

I have been saying this forever!!! GET RID OF THIS JUNK GUARD IN BELL!! HE IS A REAL LIABILITY IN OUR LINE HE SUKS AND IS A WASTE OF VALUABLE SALARY KAP MONEY.

Comment

[QUOTE=rNemesis;309332]
      Originally posted by RamsFan16 View Post

-
      -

I have been saying this forever!!! GET RID OF THIS JUNK GUARD IN BELL!! HE IS A REAL LIABILITY IN OUR LINE HE SUKS AND IS A WASTE OF VALUABLE SALARY KAP MONEY.
      Yeah, Jacob Bell isn't playing good at all. From what I saw of Greco filling in at LT, he looked pretty darn good. He was stoud and wasn't bothered by the rush of the *****.

Comment

I agree with you bro. Jackson always shows intensity and emotion while running. He is the only motivated one out there. As for the roster moves you mentioned, I haven't had a chance to evaluate Anthony Smith's play, but I love the other ideas. I especially agree with the Jacob Bell idea. The guy is horrible IMO, get him out of there. As for SLB, I want to se Grant in there. I think he has tons of potential and he's very young. He cam ein and got a sack on his first start..... not bad at all! Hopefully Spags will make roster moves that are the best for the squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
          I agree with you bro. Jackson always shows intensity and emotion while running. He is the only motivated one out there. As for the roster moves you mentioned, I haven't had a chance to evaluate Anthony Smith's play, but I love the other ideas. I especially agree with the Jacob Bell idea. The guy is horrible IMO, get him out of there. As for SLB, I want to se Grant in there. I think he has tons of potential and he's very young. He cam ein and got a sack on his first start..... not bad at all! Hopefully Spags will make roster moves that are the best for the squad.
          Funny thing is, Grant didnt' even start!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
            Jacob Bell Has Been Solid For St. Louis Rams
            by r8rh8rmike
            Jacob Bell has been solid for St. Louis Rams
            BY BILL COATS
            11/26/2009

As the host of a bounteous Thanksgiving dinner, Rams guard Jacob Bell will be surrounded by friends and family today. "I have a sister, brother, mom, dad, step-mom, cousin, and a couple of friends and teammates coming over," he said. "So, it'll be a good day."

The comfort of familiar faces was a rare commodity for Bell last year, his first with the Rams after signing a six-year, $36 million contract as a free agent. Injuries kept the coaches busy juggling the personnel on the offensive line, making it difficult for Bell, the left guard, to settle in.

Not so this season, at least in Bell's immediate area. He, center Jason Brown and left tackle Alex Barron have taken virtually every snap. Continuity has been established, and the play of the line has improved significantly.

"I played on what I felt were some of the better offensive lines when I was at Tennessee" for four years, he said. "Coming here, this season especially, I don't feel there's many better than us. We've been pretty consistent keeping Marc clean and giving Steven room to run."

Quarterbacks Marc Bulger and Kyle Boller have been sacked just 21 times. Running back Steven Jackson has rushed for 1,031 yards, second in the NFL.

According to STATS LLC, Bell is responsible for just one sack. Overall, he's graded out consistently well on the coaches' postgame film review.

"I think I'm kind of figuring out some things that are working for me," he said. "It's just really tough to put things into perspective when you're not winning. But if I was to look at myself, I feel like I'm getting the job done."

Coach Steve Spagnuolo described Bell's performance as "very solid. He's a tough guy that's played well."

Pass blocking always has been a strength for Bell, the Titans' fifth-round draft pick in 2004 out of Miami (Ohio). Run blocking, he conceded, has been his nemesis.

"A lot of times when you second-guess yourself, it slows you down and you don't do exactly what you wanted to do. I still struggle with that and that's when I start getting into trouble," Bell explained. "But this year, I think I've done a lot better job of trusting myself with my technique."

Staying bulked up has helped, too, he said. In the past, the 6-foot-4 Bell struggled to maintain his weight — last year, for example, he slipped down to 280.

"At the end of my first (NFL) season, I hurt my knee and my shoulder. I had two major surgeries within a month of each other, and I'm walking around with a crutch on one side and a sling on the other side," he said. "I got down to 268 pounds. That's from 312 or 313 when I first reported that season. Since...
            -11-25-2009, 10:58 PM
          • MauiRam
            Greco vs Bell ..
            by MauiRam
            Greco vs Bell (2nd SF game review)
            by sbrown1021
            July 17th 2009 from another site

Greco Vs. Bell

Bell started the game, and then came out after 2 series (3?), and Greco played the rest of the way....Here is what seems to be the truth:

Just my opinion…I didn’t know Bell was so weak, until I looked at him play after play. This is how I see him and Greco:

Teams find a weak guy and exploit him. It seems like when Jacob Bell plays, tackles push him off balance, and his shoulders are out of position (not square) all the time and therefore he has no power on most of his blocks; and then when a running back changes direction toward Jacob Bell’s space, Bell has done nothing to clear his man out of the way and the back gets no yards, or loses yards….versus when John Greco comes in, they don’t toss him around, at all. Huge difference to me. Honestly, I am not sure if I have ever seen such a huge disparity in theoretical strength required for the position and the actual strength the player has.

I have more hope for Tye Hill making a comeback, than JB being a good guard for the Rams….of course Bell says he is 15-20 pounds heavier…hmmm, sounds easy...just gain weight....

A center in NFL gets ‘help’ on straight ahead running plays, probably 90% of the time. Every O line coach assumes this, when diagramming plays. Only a few centers can take on a nose tackle and even managed a stand off. (Jason Brown is one!) So, it is ok to be ‘weak’ at center.

But, being ‘weak’ at guard, well that is a big problem…unless you work for the Colts or Mike Martz (semi joke,there)

Tom Nutten weighed about 280 ;lbs, which is why he got no push in the straight ahead run game, except for a few games. Nutten was a great pass blocker. Those old 80’s 49er teams had small guards too, but their ‘angle’ block schemes invented by the their genius OL coach, McKittrick, allowed for smaller, quicker guards. Those guards were made for pass blocking, pulling and screens. Jacob Bell would have been very successful, like Nutten, in the Rams GSOT offense….or playing for the Colts Run-lite offense, Bell would be a good fit too.

The moment Greco came replaced Bell against the ***** (week 16), the Rams line look solidified and they didn’t get pushed around on his side…Sometimes your brain plays tricks…could there be such a difference between these guys? How could Bell be starting? AM I high? How did Bell even start for a power run team like Tennesee? I must be wrong about him.

So, I thought I would make a comparision between Greco and Bell…in light of the emphasis on power blocking, it becomes apparent to me that even with 15 pounds Bell will not be adequate….though Jason Brown will help him a lot this year, if he does start!

Pass Blocking

Greco, being a good tackle in college (similar to David...
            -08-07-2009, 09:14 AM
          • 01d 0rd3r
            John Greco
            by 01d 0rd3r
            Im not good at evaluating talent at the o-line positions, so anyone want to gimmie an idea of if Greco played well today.
            -12-20-2009, 06:12 PM
          • r8rh8rmike
            Bell Bounces Back
            by r8rh8rmike
            Bell Bounces Back
            Sunday, August 30, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
            Senior Writer

Upon making his return to the football field for the first time since suffering a serious concussion on Aug. 14 against the Jets, Rams guard Jacob Bell wanted to waste no time in checking to see where his head was at – literally and figuratively.

So it was that Bell stepped on the practice field at the Russell Training Center on Sunday and immediately called upon some of his lesser tenured teammates to knock the rust off quickly.

“I started out early popping the rookies in individual drills to get my helmet loose and see if the marbles are still loose up there,” Bell said. “It felt pretty good.”

Bell completed the practice at his usual left guard spot with the first team with no issues and felt fine during the practice as well as after.

That’s a long way from how the past couple of weeks have been, though.

The play seemed simple enough, as the Rams called for a power run to the right on the first play of the game in which Bell’s responsibility is to pull out to the right and essentially lead block for the running back.

Pulling is something Bell has done countless times in his career and he estimates he’s done it at least 200 times in games in his five years in the NFL. For as long as he can remember, Bell has always done it the same way, though, with his head down.

Despite having many coaches tell him to keep his head up when he pulls, Bell says he’s always been better pulling because he can deliver more of a blow with his head down.

“What happens when you pull around is if you put your head down, you make yourself vulnerable to any kind of collision like that,” Bell said. “They’ve been telling me since I was a rookie don’t put your head down when you pull. I have had success with it in the past though just popping people.”

This time, with his head down, Bell was on the receiving end of a vicious helmet to helmet collision with Jets linebacker Bart Scott.

Two plays later, Bell and the offense came off the field and Bell unknowingly had the first serious concussion of his career.

“When you do have a concussion, you don’t know you have a concussion,” Bell said. “You feel normal. Like I was talking to everybody on the sidelines but the same questions I am asking them, I am going back five minutes later and asking the same question like Dory from Finding Nemo. You feel normal but on the outside looking in you are messed up.”

Bell was diagnosed with the concussion almost immediately and taken out of that game soon after the hit.

And while Bell felt OK soon after the hit, it was what he experienced over the next few days that truly made him realize the severity of the injury.

Bell struggled to remember even little...
            -08-30-2009, 03:40 PM
          • Dr. Defense
            Offensive Linemen Next Year
            by Dr. Defense
            So with yesterdays events (Richie leaving town, Bell to IR) coupled with our tackle issues, I think we aren't in that great of a position going into this draft anymore. I think we are in a lot of trouble right now. As it stands, the only real solidified position on this line is Center. Here is who we have right now from linemen other then Jason Brown. Alex Barron, Adam Goldberg, Mark Setterstrom, John Greco, Jason Bell, Ryan McKee, Eric Young, Phil Trautwein, Rodger Allen III, Jason Smith.

That doesn't look like a good list to me. I have never heard of McKee, Young, Trautwein, Allen III. We don't know what's going on with Smith. He can't get over this concussion and their are reports saying that the Rams are going to put him on IR. Barron is in the last year of his contract, which should excite us. But with all the holes on this team, we might have to keep him. I could see us franchising him for a year to buy some time. Then you have Goldberg who is a journeyman of sorts and doesn't really do one position great, but does everything well. I think he is more of a backup kind of guy. We haven't really seen a lot from Greco. Bell had been to small, and now he lands himself on IR. Hasn't lived up to his contract. Finally we have Mark Setterstrom, who plays well above expectations when he is healthy, but has an injury issue.

The way I see it, their is a good chance we might see a lot of new faces on this line next year. Really wouldn't suprise me if Round 1 we went Suh, Round 2 we went Qb, Round 3 we went with a nice big offensive guard, some names to throw out Mike Johnson, Brandon Carter, John Jerry.

We all know that Spags is a firm believer in winning the wars in the trenches, so why not get some big boys to win those fights. Hopefully with we can Richie Icognito Version 2.0. Except 2.0 has the stupidity chip removed.
            -12-16-2009, 07:01 AM
          Working...
          X