Another reason for Dave Checketts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another reason for Dave Checketts

Most of us know that Dave Checketts headed an investment group that purchased the St. Louis Blues in 2006. Checketts bought the team from then-owners Bill & Nancy Laurie.

Nancy Laurie's maiden name was Walton; as in daughter of Bud Walton, niece of Sam Walton.

Nancy Walton Laurie has a sister named Ann.

Ann Walton's married name...........Ann Kroenke.

Yes, Ann is married to Rams minority owner, Stan Kroenke.

The Blues deal was between Checketts and Kroenke's sister-in-law.

In business, relationships mean a lot. If the Lauries like Checketts, that could bode well for him trying to acquire an interest in Kroenke's team.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Re: Another reason for Dave Checketts

once again i reiterate, what the hell is this guy trying to buy us for? I mean my goodness the guy owns the st louis blues, one of the worst hockey teams. Why should we have any reason to believe he will turn this franchise around? This guy knows nothing about football, so he needs to move on and find another team to buy. I have never heard of this guy before in my life.

Comment

Because after he purchased the Blues they made a rather dramatic run to the playoffs last year. I believe that they either made it or almost made it but the turnaround was dramatic.

Comment

Originally posted by rNemesis View Post
        once again i reiterate, what the hell is this guy trying to buy us for? I mean my goodness the guy owns the st louis blues, one of the worst hockey teams. Why should we have any reason to believe he will turn this franchise around? This guy knows nothing about football, so he needs to move on and find another team to buy. I have never heard of this guy before in my life.
        so youve never heard of the guy in your life but you think it would be a bad move because "he knows nothing about football"

how do you come up with that when youve never heard of him until now?

he took over the Blues when they WERE one of the worst hockey teams and he turned them into one of the best..in hiring the right people to do the job.

he also was the youngest GM in the history of the NBA when at 28 he took over the Utah Jazz. and has owned the New York Knicks.

he knows what to do when owner of a Pro Sports team..which is let the GM do the job he`s hired to do and give him the money he needs when he needs it to be succesful.

Comment

you might want to rethink your stance on the Blues, they happen to be very good and they sell out there home games, ever been to a Blues home game ? I have a couple of times and the building is electric,just like the dome during the GSOT days,now don't you want the Rams games to get back to that,I think Checketts is the perfect choice to buy the Rams.

Comment

I don't give a damn who buys the team as long as we can start winning. At least it wasn't until the second half last week before my hopes were dashed...today, only about 7 minutes.

Comment

Um us? what percentage of the team do you own? Be real, how much worse can this team get.You state you dont even know who this guy is yet you know he would be bad for this team. ANYONE willing to put up millions of dollars,even Rush for this team couldnt possibly make them worse could they? Better hurry up and sell your stake before the Rams do something stupid on the management side.

Comment

Reality check!

Regardless who ends up as owner there are a few facts we need to keep in mind.

The Rams are not the most popular NFL teams in terms of a fan base. There are lots of Cowboy/Redskin/Steeler and dare I say Raider fans. Keeping that in mind, the Rams still are a "business"--no one starts or buys a business with the idea of going bankrupt. Hense, whoever owns the Rams HAS to put a winning product on the field.

A lot of discussion about taking the Rams back to L.A. But with this potentual new owner the Rams likely would still be in St. Louis. I see staying in St Louis as a potentual good thing. True its a smaller market--but all the more reason why the Rams have to put a good product on the field.

Lastly, if your a Ram fan your already one of the true diehard fans rathter then a fair weather fan that hitch a ride on the coats of the winning teams--dare I mention the Cardnials in this text

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                  If Rams ever call, Checketts will listen
                  by RamWraith
                  By Bernie Miklasz
                  ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                  Thursday, Oct. 09 2008
                  Dave Checketts, owner of the St. Louis Rams?

When Checketts, the Blues' CEO, made a guest appearance on my KSLG (1380 AM)
                  radio show Wednesday, I asked him if he'd be interested in purchasing the Rams.

Rams Chairman Chip Rosenbloom has said he's in no hurry to sell and would like
                  to keep the team. But if Rosenbloom had to sell, he told me he would try to
                  place the franchise in good hands and wants the new owner to be committed to
                  keeping the team in St. Louis.

Could Checketts be that candidate?

If given an opportunity, would Checketts step up and attempt to make a deal
                  with Rosenbloom?

"The answer is absolutely," Checketts said. "We love St. Louis. It's a great
                  NFL franchise. There are some real hurdles ahead with it. I'm more interested
                  in doing the right thing for St. Louis than I am necessarily being the owner of
                  the Rams.

"I think Chip's having discussions with a lot of different people. I don't
                  think he's decided exactly what he wants to do, but if and when he decides to
                  sell I hope I get a call."

As Checketts indicated, there would be obstacles.

The Rams' sale price would probably fall between $800 million and $1 billion.
                  If Stan Kroenke retained his 40 percent ownership share, the new majority
                  partner would have to fund 60 percent of the purchase price. Yes, a new owner
                  could recruit partners, but under NFL rules the lead owner must control at
                  least 30 percent of the franchise.

Though Checketts' personal worth is unclear, it's doubtful that he has the kind
                  of financial clout required to own an NFL franchise. In theory, Checketts could
                  put together a group headed by a "silent" majority partner a big-money
                  investor who has little interest in being the front man for the franchise.

And in that setup, Checketts would fit as the chief executive. He's operated
                  successful sports businesses, including the NBA Utah Jazz and New York Knicks.
                  Under Checketts' leadership, the Blues are quickly rebuilding their fan base
                  and popularity. When Checketts ran Madison Square Garden in New York, the arena
                  prospered. Checketts also started up the profitable MSG sports network.

NFL rules barring cross ownership wouldn't apply to Checketts. He owns a pro
                  soccer franchise, in Utah, Real Salt Lake. But since there is no NFL team in
                  Salt Lake City, Checketts is cleared to be an NFL owner in St. Louis. It's the
                  same reason Paul Allen can own the NFL Seattle Seahawks and the NBA Portland
                  Trailblazers; the Blazers do not compete with an NFL team in Portland.

Kroenke, however, has a problem. The NFL won't...
                  -10-09-2008, 04:27 AM
                • MauiRam
                  St. Louis Blues' Dave Checketts is a contender to buy the Rams
                  by MauiRam
                  Sports Columnist Bernie Miklasz
                  ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                  06/02/2009

St. Louis sports fans certainly appreciate the way Dave Checketts has skillfully handled the pucks in his role as the chairman of the Blues.

So how would the fans react to the idea of giving Checketts a Rams football to see how far he can carry it?

If Checketts has his way, he'll reach the end zone in his quest to become the next majority owner of the St. Louis Rams.

In a brief but exclusive e-mail exchange with the Post-Dispatch on Monday, Checketts interrupted a short vacation to strongly declare his intention to put together a group of investors to purchase the controlling share of the Rams from majority owners Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez.

"We have the ability to get this done and we have communicated this to the Rams," Checketts wrote in an e-mail. "We approached this with the Rams months ago and have since that time put together a partnership of both concerned St. Louisans and outside capital.

"Last week, we communicated to Chip Rosenbloom in no uncertain terms, that he now has a clear St. Louis buyer. We are that buyer.

"We have reason to believe the NFL would approve our group as we have carefully explored their ownership requirements."

That's strong language from Checketts, who politely declined to elaborate on his plans or reveal the identity of willing investors.

But Checketts clearly is trying to stake out his turf here.

By confidently expressing his belief that he can land the Rams, Checketts is trying to galvanize public, private and political support. It's a smart move. Checketts can attract more investors by making a convincing case that he's a serious player for the Rams. Checketts already is popular with Blues fans. If he can get Rams fans to rally behind him, even more momentum will shift to Checketts' foray into NFL football.

Rosenbloom and Rodriguez are selling their 60 percent stake in the franchise and have enlisted Goldman Sachs investment firm to help expedite the sale.

Cynics would suggest that Checketts lacks the personal wealth to pull off the purchase of an NFL team. Forbes magazine estimates the Rams' value at $929 million, so Checketts would probably have to raise between $450 million and $500 million to acquire 60 percent of the franchise.

Is Checketts getting in over his head? I heard similar doubts expressed when Checketts entered into negotiations to buy the Blues from Bill Laurie in 2005.

And Checketts has been a success on multiple fronts. Scottrade Center was cold and mostly empty for hockey games as Checketts took over as Blues chairman for the 2005-2006 season. And now the arena is filled again.

The Blues were the worst team in the National Hockey League at the end...
                  -06-02-2009, 09:08 AM
                • HUbison
                  Checketts solidifies Rams bid
                  by HUbison
                  Checketts solidifies Rams bid

By Bernie Miklasz
                  ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                  01/31/2010

As Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch reported recently, the sale of the Rams has been narrowed down to a list of three potential buyers.

And that hasn't changed, according to multiple sources close to Rams managing ownership partner Chip Rosenbloom.

Rosenbloom would like to make a decision within a month or two. Rosenbloom and his sister, Lucia Rodriguez, prefer to sell their combined 60 percent share but could opt to hang on to the franchise rather than settle for an unsatisfactory offer.

One of the three potential buyers is a group of investors organized by St. Louis Blues Chairman Dave Checketts.

Multiple sources tell me that another group has strong ties to Toronto, which should concern those who want to see the Rams remain in St. Louis.

As for the third potential buyer ... candidly, I've been unable to nail down that part. But I know it isn't anyone from St. Louis. And I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the bidder is based in Chicago.

I hope that Checketts prevails in this auction, or the Rams could be in play for a move after the 2014 season.

Checketts is our best hope to secure a long-term future for the Rams in St. Louis.

Or to put it another way: Checketts IS the St. Louis offer.

I trust Checketts to work with area politicians and business and community leaders to solve the looming stadium problem.

Checketts has made good progress in his Rams efforts. According to multiple sources with direct knowledge of the situation, Checketts has partnered with a formidable money man in Texas billionaire Gerald J. Ford, who was ranked No. 289 on the Forbes list of the 400 wealthiest Americans last fall. Forbes estimated Ford's worth at $1.35 billion.

Ford, 65, made his fortune by buying and selling banks. He's friends with Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. A graduate of Southern Methodist University, Ford donated $20 million to SMU in 1997 to help the school build a new football stadium on campus. Indeed, Gerald J. Ford Stadium opened in 2000.

This is a significant development. For the Checketts bid to comply with NFL ownership rules, one member of his group must control a 30 percent share of the franchise. And multiple sources tell me that Ford is locked in as the 30 percent owner. Ford doesn't want to run the franchise on a daily basis and would leave that to Checketts.

Ford's addition (at 30 percent) is only part of the equation.

To cover another 30 percent (including his own percentage) Checketts has been busy lining up additional investors from the St. Louis community.

The list includes prominent and recognizable names. The investors aren't yet willing to come forward to publicly confirm...
                  -02-01-2010, 06:23 AM
                • MauiRam
                  Intrigue behind Rams sale
                  by MauiRam
                  Sports Columnist Bernie Miklasz
                  ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                  11/15/2009

Let's get down to business. It's time to update the attempted sale of the St. Louis Rams. The process has been secretive for the most part. Obviously, there's a lot that I don't know.

But after making several rounds of phone calls this week and talking to multiple sources with direct knowledge of the situation, I'll share what I know.

And I'll also discuss the ongoing effort of Blues chairman Dave Checketts, who is attempting to put together a consortium to purchase the 60 percent of the Rams owned by Chip Rosenbloom and his sister, Lucia Rodriguez.

Checketts is carrying the football on behalf of St. Louis. That's a positive, but there is a downside, and later in the column I'll explain why.

Let's get started:

No sale is imminent.

Several out-of-town interests are pursuing the franchise. And indications are that the potential buyers have communicated a desire to keep the Rams in St. Louis. For example, one potential buyer lives out of state but has business interests here and is thought to be pro-St. Louis.

That said, no one in St. Louis should take anything for granted. Buyers know that Rosenbloom and Rodriguez want the Rams to remain here. And if a buyer has other motives, it makes no sense to telegraph those intentions to Rosenbloom. Or to the Goldman Sachs investment firm, which is handling sale inquiries.

Last Sunday on the CBS pregame show, Charley Casserly identified a new potential buyer: Texas-based banking billionaire Gerald J. Ford. It's true. It's also early. Ford, 65, is a promising candidate. But he hasn't been vetted yet.

Casserly also suggested that Rosenbloom and Rodriguez are under pressure to sell before the end of the year, because of estate-tax issues related to the death of their mother, Georgia Frontiere. A source with intimate knowledge of the Rosenbloom-Rodriguez tax issues disputes that.
                  Between now and October 2013, Rosenbloom and Rodriguez are obligated to pay interest on the estate-tax bill. They are not required to begin making payments on the principal until Oct. 2013. At that point, the pressure to sell the team would increase, but the source stressed it would still be possible for Rosenbloom and Rodriguez to keep the Rams. An expected increase in the capital-gains tax (in 2010 or 2011) doesn't help Rosenbloom and Rodriguez, but the source insists that isn't an important factor in the sale timetable.

Stan Kroenke, who owns 40 percent of the Rams, has remained silent. To buy the available 60 percent, Kroenke would have to convince the NFL to change the rules prohibiting cross ownership. (He owns the NBA Denver Nuggets and NHL Colorado Avalanche.) Kroenke is a key to this. Because if he agrees to stay on as the 40 percent partner, the new owner would...
                  -11-15-2009, 09:06 AM
                • Alec22
                  Oh God, its Limbaugh Again........
                  by Alec22
                  "Rush Limbaugh really is interested in buying the Rams. Limbaugh and St. Louis Blues owner Dave Checketts head up one of three groups that submitted bids to buy the team, Charley Casserly of CBS reports. It's not clear whether the Checketts/Limbaugh bid includes the 40 percent stake owned by Stan Kroenke or the 60 percent stake owned by the late Georgia Frontiere's children. Rumors of Limbaugh's interest in the team started in May, and he was spotted at the Rams game on Sept. 20."

If Rush takes ownership in the rams...I simply dont know if I will be able to still call myself a fan, and I havent missed a game in 6 years...........
                  -10-05-2009, 11:52 AM
                Working...
                X