Dare I say bring back the Mad Scientist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dare I say bring back the Mad Scientist

He would at least put up 20pts a game....

Re: Dare I say bring back the Mad Scientist

Oh you are preaching not only to the choir here, but the deacons too.

Comment

hmmmm i dunno...he didnt understand how best to use Jax before and seeing as Jax is our only great player on Offense..i wouldnt like to get someone calling the plays who doesnt know how to use our only real weapon.

i am not impressed atall by Pat Shurmar so far..but not sure Martz is the answer with what we got now either.

Comment

iLL TAKE A MONKEY CALLING THE PLAYS IF WE CAN GET 14 PTS A GAME ... THATS ALLL JUST 14PITS

Comment

There's a reason the "Mad Scientist" is unemployed. Martz doesn't get along with head coaches dictating to him, especially no-nonsense head coaches, and last time I checked, Spags was a no-nonsense head coach.

That said, I'd be more than willing to give him a shot if he could be a team guy, but he just may have burned his last bridge with the whiners.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
            There's a reason the "Mad Scientist" is unemployed. Martz doesn't get along with head coaches dictating to him, especially no-nonsense head coaches, and last time I checked, Spags was a no-nonsense head coach.

That said, I'd be more than willing to give him a shot if he could be a team guy, but he just may have burned his last bridge with the whiners.
            I don't know how big an "if" it would be. Every time he is on NFL Total Access, it is as plain as the nose on my face (and you've seen it, it is a big one...LOL) that he misses St. Louis a lot.

To expand on that, I think Shurmur was probably just a lot better as the QBs coach, as he was in Philly. Seemed to do great things in that capacity. Maybe a step back to that position would be better for him as well as the team.
            Last edited by MOM; -10-07-2009, 01:13 PM.
            sigpicThis is for Randy! GO BRM!

Comment

i think the bridge that was burnt in St.Louis has been removed already anyway..e.g Zygmunt,Shaw etc....im not sure if he loves St.Louis as such..more probably the players and coaching staff who were around at the time..but im sure he would be up for it if he got the call...its just if Spags & Billy D would make that call or not..

Comment

Not Gonna Happen............. wishful thinking by some.

Maineram -

Comment

I'd be willing to bet Spags would want no part of Martz' rogue coach act. He has enough to worry about now without having to deal with Mad Mike's antics. Just ask Rod Marinelli or Mike Nolan or Mike Singletary, who all wanted the same ball control offense Spags wants, but couldn't get Martz to cooperate.

Comment

I guess I don't understand why guys who want a ball control offense bring in someone who is known for lots of passing and generally not using a ball control offense and then be surprised when he isn't a ball control kind of guy. It's like having a conversation with a known communist and being surprised when they talk about communism.
                    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

Comment

Originally posted by bruce4life View Post
                      He would at least put up 20pts a game....
                      whats your next post "we need Warner back" just kidding bruce4life,but way to stir it up, and oh I happen to agree with you.

Comment

The problem is no talent we need the bold moves that brought Faulk, Williams, and drafted Holt here. Spags can win but not with what we got now. Martz could not do jack with this unit we got now.
                        :ramlogo:

Comment

There's a reason Nutz isn't coaching right now. He's a cancer on any coaching staff, he can't adjust his game plan, and he doesn't know how to make an offense fit his talent. Nutz lucked into having the right personnel to fit his single minded offense and it continued to work until those players got old and he lost some of his pieces. His system hasn't worked anywhere else. It definately won't work with this bunch.
                          Last edited by bigredman; -10-07-2009, 03:53 PM.

Comment

i don't know about martz, or if he would even want to come back, but we should be on the market for creative minds.

Comment

Well the 9ers did do alright at the end of last year with Martz as coordinator and Detroit won 7 games with Martz in 2007 which is the most they've won since 2000 and when they dropped Martz they won 0 games the next season which in large part was due to their non risk taking offense.

I would probably take anything over Shurmer's system on offense if improvement isn't shown because it is just depressing with how bad this offense is right now. It's disapointing too because I thought the offense looked good at the end of last season.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                                Black Monday
                                by RamWraith
                                This Martz thing has left me with a huge rock in my stomach. I have such a bad feeling about this whole thing it makes me sick. I personally liked the guy and defended him to the hill. This team is and will be in utter disarray if he steps down for good. I have a bad feeling about the fall out from this.

This could be the worse news I have heard concerning Rams football since I heard they were trading Dickerson to the Colts. A sad day indeed.
                                -10-24-2005, 01:24 PM
                              • LaRamsFanLongTime
                                Martz not the problem?
                                by LaRamsFanLongTime
                                Sorry, he is plain and simple. Yeah the defence sucks this year. Who did not see that coming with is inability to draft a defensive star. he also just does not get that team fired up. I really beleive this team is Like Phil and the Lakers. This guy as all the answers but after awhile no one wants to listen to him. He is losing his grasp on this team and his players. The veterans are fed up and frustrated. The youngsters have not bought into him he needs to go. People say he did not throw the pick, he did not give up the big play, but HE did.He is not identifying the weakness in the other team like he once did. That TE bomb was great. This is something he has not truly identified you know that fact that they have a TE. Yesterday we had a great mismatch with Brown lining up on defence instead of putting Holt or Bruce on him they put Mcdonald. I saw the mismatches did Martz. He is an offensive braniac right?

People have called question to my appeared hypocritical statements which basically is "I want Martz to be more aggresive and run some trickery and five receiver sets like he used to" then I say "I wish he would be more conservative" seems fair to say I am a hypocrite. What it all means though is plain and simple(I seem to like that phrase alot lately) I want him to have that killer instinct when it is needed not when it is 4th and punt time and you give the opposing team another chance by accepting a third down penalty. What about going for it when you should kick or not going for it when you should like last year in the playoffs. It just seems his balance is always off and he very rarely makes the right decision. (MARTZ Brain)My team loses to the Miami Dolphins so I think I will give them the buy week off. BS!!! man a real coach would be on their a$$ having them run the stadium stairs over and over again. Motivation by strict discipline is the way football is and always has been.

I am not only off the fence about martz I am in the process off tearing the fence down so I am not tempted to sit back on top of it.
                                -11-08-2004, 11:10 AM
                              • ramsbruce
                                Wow We Are In Trouble
                                by ramsbruce
                                I guess my 1st question is why did we not spy Vick? Not that it would have given us the win but how do you leave him unaccounted for. This loss was the whole teams fault coaches included. Martz still baffles me by wasting challenges. He even tried to challenge a play that you couldnt challenge, so I dont know what to think about that. Like I said in another post maybe we need a challenge/timeout coach LOL. Special teams almost looks worse thatn when April was here. Note to Martz: Steven Jackson is NOT a kick returner, he is too slow for that job. Dont we all remember the days of Tony Horne, he was a game changer, he was fast, he had a shot to break it every time. Tony Horne was Dante Hall before Dante was. Martz must remember Horne and Hakim (yes he fumbled alot) but he had speed and made game changing plays. I guarantee Jackson or Arlen Harris will never run a kick off back for a TD. We need some game changing plays from anyone. Our defense is horrible, these players need to step up. They just dont look motivated. Pisa gets credit and AW too but overall we need work. Every week Bruce and Holt bring it, Looker is doing ok. I hope Pace gets into camp next year cause he didnt look too good today. With our tough schedule if we dont get better we are in big trouble. Its a shame with all the talent we have, that we look this bad. Bulger needs more time from the O Line, some of his decisions are questionable but you gotta help the guy out too O Line. I hope we can pull through but its going to be tough. :ramlogo: :helmet:
                                -09-19-2004, 08:02 PM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                Don't get mad, get even.
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                That's my theme for the week. I think it speaks for itself.
                                -09-15-2009, 09:47 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                This article makes me sick!
                                by RamWraith
                                Why is Martz shouldering the blame. UNREAL!! Kick some arse Mike, not the poor me crap.

---------------

By taking the blame for everything, Martz solves nothing

BY JEFF GORDON
                                STLtoday.com Sports Columnist
                                10/09/2005

Mike Martz threw himself on his sword Sunday after his Rams served up a 37-31 victory to the Seattle Seahawks.

In fact, Martz threw himself on his sword again and again and again. The poor guy was perforated by the time he ended his postgame news conference -– which was delayed, we presumed, by his search for more things to personally take the blame for.

“This was Coach Martz’s loss,” he told the assembled reporters. “Put a big check mark on that.”

OK, if you insist. Let’s look over all the key categories:

The hideous play by the Rams secondary? Martz wanted to take the fall for that.

“I asked the defense to put in a new coverage,” he said. “They threw for two touchdowns against that coverage.” He kicked himself for meddling with defensive coordinator Larry Marmie’s business.

The team’s offensive woes in the third quarter? You knew that Mad Mike would shoulder that responsibility, too.

“Bad job of coaching coming out in the second half,” he said. “That was my worst job of calling plays.”

The overall game plan and play calling were lacking, too, Martz said.

“I wasn’t myself this week,” he said. “I probably should have let Steve (Fairchild) call the game.”

(Fairchild is the team’s offensive coordinator, which probably comes as a surprise to fans who didn’t realize the team had such a thing.)

Finally, Martz beat himself up for creating an unwanted distraction with his own bad health.

“I just feel like what happened to me really affected the team,” Martz said. “That breaks my heart.”

And, yes, Martz promised he would fix that, and quickly. With the help of the Rams medical staff, he insisted he would get the upper hand on the infection that settled into his heart valve.

Martz vowed he will feel better the next few weeks and get back to his old self, working long hours and obsessing over all the details.

If fans could have seen this poor guy, they would be less upset and more empathetic. He looked like death warmed over. Coaching in the NFL is a brutal job, one that can make a man age quickly. The pressure and the grind are brutal.

Relatively few coaches last for the long haul. Dick Vermeil, Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs and Marty Schottenheimer are still around because they had long, long breaks.

All coaches take losses hard. Some take it more personally than others, and Martz would fall into that category.

But the fact is, the Rams just aren’t very good right...
                                -10-09-2005, 07:11 PM
                              Working...
                              X