No announcement yet.

BREAKING NEWS: The Other Five Bidders!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BREAKING NEWS: The Other Five Bidders!

My sources have uncovered the identities of the the five bidders cometing with the much-publicized Checketts/Limbaugh group for the controlling ownership interest in the St. Louis Rams.

Since I had such a great time at this year's Bash, I decided to break the news here at ClanRam, rather than on the Post-Dispatch's website.

The five groups are:

The Lay Estate Group: This group is headed by the benificiaries of the late Kenneth Lay, former Enron executive. The biggest plus of this group is its vast assets and connections to Missouri (Lay was born in Tyrone, Missouri). There are some questions, though, about the source of the estate's funds.

The Francis Group: Headed by Joseph Francis who, ironically, has a background in filmmaking, much like current owner Chip Rosenbloom. He is viewed as a potential owner who would bring a great deal of youth to the league, though certain legal obsticles are a concern.

The Al Maktoum Group: The Royal Family of Dubai has been looking to get into American sports ownership, and this could be their (pardon the pun) gateway. The NFL currently does not maintain any anti-foreign ownership rules. However, concerns have been raised after blueprints for an NFL stadium in Dubai were leaked.

The Cowell Group: Another wealthy potential owner, Simon Cowell has excelled in the selection of talent, and believes he can do the same in the NFL. He has already proposed a real-time text message interactive fan draft warroom plan for any team he is able to purchase. The biggest hurdle would be a recent poll in which 75% of current NFL owners reported that they consider him to be a "wanker."

The Orlando Group: Little is known regarding this group, which apparently would like to move the team to Central Florida, other than that it is headed by a prominent Winter Park, Florida, attorney.

So, there you have it. Clearly, there are some viable alternatives to the Checketts/Limbaugh group.

--B

Re: BREAKING NEWS: The Other Five Bidders!

Originally posted by BernieM View Post
    My sources have uncovered the identities of the the five bidders cometing with the much-publicized Checketts/Limbaugh group for the controlling ownership interest in the St. Louis Rams.

Since I had such a great time at this year's Bash, I decided to break the news here at ClanRam, rather than on the Post-Dispatch's website.

The five groups are:

The Lay Estate Group: This group is headed by the benificiaries of the late Kenneth Lay, former Enron executive. The biggest plus of this group is its vast assets and connections to Missouri (Lay was born in Tyrone, Missouri). There are some questions, though, about the source of the estate's funds.

The Francis Group: Headed by Joseph Francis who, ironically, has a background in filmmaking, much like current owner Chip Rosenbloom. He is viewed as a potential owner who would bring a great deal of youth to the league, though certain legal obsticles are a concern.

The Al Maktoum Group: The Royal Family of Dubai has been looking to get into American sports ownership, and this could be their (pardon the pun) gateway. The NFL currently does not maintain any anti-foreign ownership rules. However, concerns have been raised after blueprints for an NFL stadium in Dubai were leaked.

The Cowell Group: Another wealthy potential owner, Simon Cowell has excelled in the selection of talent, and believes he can do the same in the NFL. He has already proposed a real-time text message interactive fan draft warroom plan for any team he is able to purchase. The biggest hurdle would be a recent poll in which 75% of current NFL owners reported that they consider him to be a "wanker."

The Orlando Group: Little is known regarding this group, which apparently would like to move the team to Central Florida, other than that it is headed by a prominent Winter Park, Florida, attorney.

So, there you have it. Clearly, there are some viable alternatives to the Checketts/Limbaugh group.

--B
    hahaha good one

Comment

The Alpha Group: Though the members of this bid team are not known, the primary partner has been soliciting money to purchase the team on internet message boards, through co-workers at his place of employment, and from the Scottish-American Society.

Sources close to the group have shared that all players would be paired with performers from Branson, MO for mentoring. Also, one fan at the game each week would win a full massage from any three Rams cheerleaders that the lucky fan would pick.

Finally, the Rams would be forced to sleep at the Edward Jones Dome for three nights after any home game loss.

Comment

Originally posted by BernieM View Post
        75% of current NFL owners reported that they consider him to be a "wanker."
        --B
        What's a "wanker'?..

Comment

I actually got excited when i saw this, then i saw the poster...fml

Comment

Darn it! Just before I opened this thread, at the last moment, I noticed the hideous "BernieM" authorship!

:mad: Too late. My fault.

Maui, I've been a resident alien here in the U.S.A. for over 20 years but still, English is my 2nd language. I take it you're pulling Bernie's leg in asking "what a 'wanker' is".

I had to look it up and found out that I cannot post the meaning here. ;)
            Last edited by RealRam; -10-08-2009, 09:52 PM. Reason: Speleen

Comment

Originally posted by RealRam View Post
              Maui, I've been a resident alien here in the U.S.A. for over 20 years but still, English is my 2nd language. I take it you're pulling Bernie's leg in asking "what a 'wanker' is".

I had to look it up and found out that I cannot post the meaning here. ;)
              Not pulling anyone's leg here - just wanted to know .. After reading your post I googled the word and discovered it's a term for .. shall I say .. self abuse. It is not something one hears in Hawaii, so it must be in vogue on the mainland. I kind of like the term though, perhaps it could be aptly applied to our favorite division rival: The San Francisco Wankers !! .. Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

Comment

Actually the word is popular in parts of England, much more so than the United States.

It wouldn't be uncommon to hear it as an insult.
                "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing the COWELL GROUP purchase our team.
                  sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Yea, we'd probably screw this one up too. Instead of hot girls bareing presse-etoupe de mammory, it would wind up being "Cogs Gone Wild".
                    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

As a resident of Her Majesty's isle... I can confirm that the phrase 'wanker' is indeed a derogatory term used to describe someone who devotes far to much time towards his member.

It isn't a particularly flattering term. In fact used in the right context can be quite insulting. In fact I used it a few times in the chatroom last week during the 49'r game. There it was observed that there was in fact a plethora of 'wankers' (not those I hasten to add that were taking part in the chat....well maybe some!) who couldn't play offensive football...

Unfortunately, it was our side that I was referring to....*sigh*

I guess it would be comparable to your term 'jerk-off' I would also suggest the term would be at home under the 'words you cannot use' heading at Clan Ram. In turn sanatising even further, the limitations on how one can express ones frustration every Sunday other than crying '..Oh darnit the rams aren't very good' or '...fiddlesticks, how I am not fond of the opposition as they pile up the score' Or even better still '..This unfortunate fellow, really isn't that great a quarterback'

etc...etc...etc...
                      Last edited by UK Ramfan 83; -10-09-2009, 06:27 AM.

Comment

I'll bet that Bernie never envisioned this thread becoming a discourse on the meaning of the term "wanker."

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsFan16
                          **NEWS** Possible new OWNER candidate
                          by RamsFan16
                          On Team 1380 Dave Checketts, owner of the Blues was on and the team asked if he would be interested in buying the Rams.

Checketts responded by saying ABSOLUTELY.

Saying how not only would he want to own and help the Rams out but do whats best for St. Louis and keep the Rams.

Said that Chips been having a lot of conversations and that when Chip decides to actually sell the team. Dave Checketts said he really hopes Chip calls him.

I'm listening to him right now on 1380 (Checketts) and he says a lot of the right things. Like this guy.
                          Dave Checketts

Thoughts?...
                          -10-08-2008, 04:25 PM
                        • MauiRam
                          More encouraging news on Rams sale front ..
                          by MauiRam
                          By Tim Klutsarits
                          June 23, 1:35 PM
                          There is some more encouraging news out there on the Rams sale front. There seems to be more signs pointing toward a sale coming sooner rather than later and the Rams remaining in St. Louis.

One of the signs comes from Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports who is one of the most tied in people in NFL circles when it comes to covering the league. I would place him ahead of the Peter King's and Chris Mortensen's of the world, that is how good his info is. In Friday's column Silver placed this note in his article on things he says you can take to the ATM....

"The NFL will waive its provision against cross-ownership of teams in competing markets to allow minority owner Stan Kroenke to purchase a controlling interest in the St. Louis Rams."

That would be a huge win for the Rams, the league and the fans. Kroenke has been a model owner in the NHL, the NBA and the English Premier League. As well he has been as good of an owner as a minority partner can be here in St. Louis. If the NFL were to waive the rule then there is no question that Kroenke would be the best option for Rams fans.

Bernie Miklasz at the Post-Dispatch wrote about how Kroenke has been silent during this whole process and will most likely continue to be. I am wondering if there has been some politicking going on in league circles to see if Kroenke can make the deal. In other words make sure you have the votes before you make the deal with the Rosenbloom family. It makes a lot of sense.

One other note from Silver in today's column that is an interesting thought and is another positive for Rams fans. Silver says that "I believe the league will try to ensure that St. Louis doesn't lose its team, and here's one reasons why: For all the talk about wanting to fill the L.A. void, I think NFL owners LIKE having a vacancy in the nation's second largest market. That's because every time a franchise wants a new or upgraded stadium in its current locale - often with outright public assistance or, at the very least, considerations from voters and lawmakers that improve the financial terms - the teams owner can explicitly or implicitly threaten to move to Los Angeles, and it seems believable. Once the L.A. market is filled, that blackmail option won't be as viable." I think that Silver is on to something there. I don't think that it is maybe said openly but it certainly doesn't hurt the other 31 owners if the doomsday option is on the table. Ask the Saints, Chargers, Vikings, Jaguars and now Rams if that might not be a motivator to help their situations.

Another article, and positive sign about the Rams sale situation, that is worth your time reading is by Josh Lobdell, the Sports Business Examiner. Lobdell believes that the Minnesota Vikings are more likely for Los Angeles than the Rams are. As I stated the first day this story came...
                          -06-23-2009, 02:39 PM
                        • Varg6
                          Diversity, money are key issues with Khan's Rams bid
                          by Varg6
                          Per stltoday.com

By Bernie...

Now that Shahid Khan has signed off on a deal to purchase majority ownership of the Rams, it will be fascinating to watch how the NFL receives him.

If approved by NFL owners, Khan would become the first minority owner in control of a franchise in league history.

Khan, born in Pakistan, came to the U.S. in 1967 at age 16. He became a U.S. citizen, was educated at the University of Illinois, built a hugely successful auto-parts manufacturing company, raised a family and has lived in central Illinois for 40 years.

But we're reminded that the NFL is a private club, with only 32 lead owners/members. That point was underlined in a story that appeared in Saturday's Post-Dispatch.

This passage caught my attention: "As one observer familiar with the process emphasized, it's more than just a matter of money. Using the analogy of an exclusive tennis club, the observer said, 'Do you like him enough to invite him to join your club? And if so, can he afford to pay the dues?'''

I think it's ridiculous that we're even having this discussion. But Khan's application certainly will be a matter of keen interest for those who want to see if the NFL is truly inclusive at the highest level.

I believe NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is a man of integrity. I would be absolutely shocked if Khan is treated less than fairly by the NFL or the owners. And if Khan's finances check out, he should be fine. (More on that later.) I would think the NFL would be proud to open the doors to its inner sanctum to Khan an ambitious, self-made man who represents the American dream.

After all, Goodell spoke out against popular radio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh when Limbaugh briefly partnered with Dave Checketts in a bid to buy the Rams.

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay also denounced Limbaugh; Irsay happens to be a member of the NFL Finance Committee, which will review Khan.

After taking Limbaugh to task for making "divisive" comments, Goodell was challenged by a member of Congress during an appearance on Capitol Hill.

Goodell responded, in part, with this: "The NFL is about bringing people together, it's about unity and that we do not we do not move toward divisive actions. And, in fact, our teams, I think, have demonstrated that both on and off the field. Nothing brings a team and a community together better than the NFL."

The NFL received a "B" its best grade ever in the 2009 Race and Gender Report Card issued by the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport (TIDES). The NFL had five minority general managers and six minority head coaches in 2009. But in its report, TIDES also pointed out that "no person of color has ever held majority ownership of an NFL team." And according to TIDES, no minority...
                          -02-14-2010, 02:18 PM
                        • BernieM
                          (joke post) Breaking news! (It has the PD board buzzing!)
                          by BernieM
                          My sources have revealed the following:

*The Rams may or may not have interest in trading their first pick for additional draft choices or veteran players. While there are no talks currently going on apart from those that have not been revealed to outside sources, the likelihood is that talks may very well heat up at some point before the draft, resulting in the Rams either selecting a player with the first pick or making their first selection later.

*If the Eagles decide to trade Michael Vick, the Rams are one of several teams who are definitely going to consider the possibility of evaluating whether an offer might or might not be made to obtain his services.

*The Rams like Ndamukong Suh very much, but there are also some in the building who like Gerald McCoy. If the Rams decide to take a DT with their first pick, and assuming they have one of the top 3 selections, there is a percentage chance that one of these players will be wearing the horns next year.

*The pending sale of the Rams to Shahid Khan will not impact the Rams' offseason plans except to the extent that private communications that we are not privy to dictate otherwise.

*The Rams, who will have a significant presence at the Combine and Pro Day workouts, will not alter their rankings of players, which have not been completed as of this date, in any material way, except to the extent that players distinguish themselves or reveal substantial flaws in the various prospects who have not yet been fully evaluated to date.

*Insiders agree that the Rams will have to make solid personnel choices this offseason, as the recent losing ways are considered unsatisfactory by those close to the team. Additionally, a turnaround season may be necessary to quell the criticism that has come from former Rams players at the urging of certain columnists who have their finger on the pulse of the sources of anecdotal conventional wisdom.

Cheers.

--B
                          -02-24-2010, 10:30 AM
                        • THOLTFAN81
                          According to Balzer: Checkett's Group NOT top Bid
                          by THOLTFAN81
                          Per Balzer, the leading offer also covers the 40-percent stake held by Stan Kroenke, and the bidder is prepared to pay $725 million in cash for the team.

KTRS radio in St. Louis reports (via Balzer) that the bid currently under consideration did not come from the group led by Dave Checketts, owner of the NHL's St. Louis Blues.

Prior reports have indicated that three bids were submitted, and that Rosenbloom and Rodriguez ultimately could decide to keep the team.
                          -01-28-2010, 04:11 PM
                        Working...
                        X